Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crm
Oct 24, 2004

Carteret posted:

It's filmed entirely in NC, but I think they use "locations" just because it's less work than building a set. For example, last episode used a local cemetery for Clancy Brown's funeral and a lovely motel for Crane's post-it-note emporium.

Where in NC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

crm posted:

Where in NC?

Wilmington for most of it, New Bern, Havelock, and Salisbury.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Annakie posted:

I've converted a few people. I also heard some of my co-workers talking about it last week and getting some other co-workers into watching it. :D

I've found the hardest part is just getting people past the trailers. I mean heck didn't most of us have the same opinion of it looking really, really terrible? I don't know of really anyone who just saw the trailer and was like SOLD, I think best case I was cautiously optimistic. Although after the pilot I started pushing hard for it on Facebook and in my circle of friends, I think I've managed to get half a dozen or so actually watching it. Once they do though, they've all been hooked. Now if only I could get more people to watch Hannibal.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One nice touch was when Abby tried to give Crane the "I'm sure they have witches in every corner drugstore in 19851785" speech and he was all "hey wait a minute, I may be over 200 years our of my own time but I'm a rationalist like you and this is all new to me as well! You think YOU'RE going crazy, how do you think I feel in a world with electric lights and poo poo?" It humanizes him.

Carteret posted:

Some shots from Episode 5 filming today. Not really any spoilers, but just in case:

spoiler pics

Thanks for these, btw. It's really neat seeing how they do some of the set dressing and behind the scenes stuff, like throwing dirt on sections of roads to make the dirt roads of the time. I also thought at first those guys were in-show re-enactors that Crane was going to run into, and I still hope this is something that actually happens. :D

Personally, I like that they are only a few episodes out. It allows them to do course corrections if certain elements aren't working with the audience. Though in this case they are firing on all cylinders and don't need to change a thing as far as I'm concerned.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
"Hey Pat, have you watched Sleepy Hollow at all?"
"Nope it looks dumb but I love sleepy hollow/headless horseman"
"I checked out the first episode, it was loving awesome the headless guy has a shotgun and an AR"
"Lol wut, I'll take your word for it anyway"

**45 minutes into it**

"man that black chick is hot"

I can't tell if I need new friends

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The official Twitter account has an "Ask the Producers" thing going. I asked if they had a long term plan for the show, the response was,

"We have a long term plan. We didn't say seven years of tribulation for nothing"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Conquistador posted:

"Hey Pat, have you watched Sleepy Hollow at all?"
"Nope it looks dumb but I love sleepy hollow/headless horseman"
"I checked out the first episode, it was loving awesome the headless guy has a shotgun and an AR"
"Lol wut, I'll take your word for it anyway"

**45 minutes into it**

"man that black chick is hot"

I can't tell if I need new friends

Perhaps. To be fair though, she is. And extremely hot at that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
And you do have to differentiate because Ghost Witch Wife is also hot. Really, unsurprisingly, pretty much everyone on the show is pretty attractive. Except the Horseman and Focus Impaired Demon, of course.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gyges posted:

And you do have to differentiate because Ghost Witch Wife is also hot. Really, unsurprisingly, pretty much everyone on the show is pretty attractive. Except the Horseman and Focus Impaired Demon, of course.

I can't wait until the reveal that Death is the only unattractive horseman, and that eventually motivates him to betray the other three and join the good guy side.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

mr.capps posted:

I can't wait until the reveal that Death is the only unattractive horseman, and that eventually motivates him to betray the other three and join the good guy side.

"C'mon guys, it's been over 200 years and my head was hidden in a grave, you think I was able to get a facelift?" :arghfist:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I can't wait to check this show out. I was super hyped for it just because I love time travel shenanigans, urban fantasy and police procedural and this seemed to be literally all three rolled into one. Seeing a hugely positive reaction from this thread makes me very happy and even more optimistic than I was, especially compared to the lukewarm response Agents of SHIELD got.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This has already kind of been mentioned, but is the headless horsemen supposed to be Death? Because they specifically quoted "Held a bow" and cut to the branding of the bow on his hand. This would make him Conquest. Katrina names Conquest as the first horseman as well. I don't really care if the horseman come out of order, but I'm very confused about which horseman they are saying is currently headless...

edit: went back and watched the scene in the pilot again, and yeah, George Washington had a very special bible, where the first horseman was Death yet was carrying Conquest's poo poo and riding on his horse...

Ichabod: "The book of revelations, And there before me stood a white horse, and it's rider held a bow, and his name was death, and then a voice like thunder said: come and see"
King James Bible: "And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer."
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

edit: \/ which is fine, but the bow is very confusing. Why would they they gently caress up one of the most quoted passages in the Book of Revelation?

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 28, 2013

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Snak posted:

This has already kind of been mentioned, but is the headless horsemen supposed to be Death? Because they specifically quoted "Held a bow" and cut to the branding of the bow on his hand. This would make him Conquest. Katrina names Conquest as the first horseman as well. I don't really care if the horseman come out of order, but I'm very confused about which horseman they are saying is currently headless...

I think pre-zombie Cho referred to him as being Death itself when he was telling Abbie the horseman couldn't be stopped.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

spookygonk posted:

When Cho was resurrected in the morgue, still with his head flipped, anyone know if that was practical sfx (eg, Cho wearing a prosthetic mask) or cgi? Either ways it was good work, especially with the stretched skin, post flip.

Looked like a combination to me: dummy head for one shot, composite for another, cgi neck (at least where it joins the actor's real neck) throughout. With the flickering lights during that scene there were a couple frames of lighting fuckups on the neck that spoiled it a bit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Snak posted:

edit: \/ which is fine, but the bow is very confusing. Why would they they gently caress up one of the most quoted passages in the Book of Revelation?
I think they just wanted him to be Death because it sounds cooler than Conquer, so they purposefully fudged the passage.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lycus posted:

I think they just wanted him to be Death because it sounds cooler than Conquer, so they purposefully fudged the passage.

Maybe George Washington's special Bible was different that King James's version.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

Conquering sounds perfectly cool to me :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

10 Beers posted:

Maybe George Washington's special Bible was different that King James's version.

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about the text of the Bibles made available to the common man having been altered to conceal secrets.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He's got the Secret Illuminati Revised Masonry edition.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just imagine Jesse Ventura watching this show, and shouting with glee about how the whole thing is "a brilliant documentary".

All we need now is for the showrunners to add the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo for the Revolutionary War conspiracy circle to be complete.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 28, 2013

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

I love this show. I had my doubts from the previews but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. The costume designs are just fantastic. The sandman from next episode looks really good too. Cant wait.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I've yet to have a friend start watching it and give up. Most of them would youtube the trailer and look at me like I'm trying to force them to eat their own cat but would ultimately give it a try and end up liking it.

Hopefully this will be one of those shows that picks up by word of mouth and gets more and more viewers.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

There are plenty of conspiracy theories about the text of the Bibles made available to the common man having been altered to conceal secrets.

There's also quite a few real life strange editions of the Bible. One example is the Jefferson Bible. This is the Bible carefully edited by Thomas Jefferson (AKA 3rd President, DoI writer, etc.) to remove all references to mystical and supernatural events.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, he only edited the New Testament, and not all of that either. It's technically not a full bible but "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth". Think of it as a sort of Mega Gospel with all the ghosty bits cut out.

Cut out and put into Washington's Bible, obviously.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

Lycus posted:

Ben Franklin's magic would mostly consist of lightning spells, correct?

I would have figured it mostly consisted of ways to shag french woman (well... any women really). But yeah, sure... lightning works too I guess.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Wolvorine posted:

I would have figured it mostly consisted of ways to shag french woman (well... any women really). But yeah, sure... lightning works too I guess.

Ways to shag women and how to make/get beer.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

johntfs posted:

This is the Bible carefully edited by Thomas Jefferson to remove all references to mystical and supernatural events.

Obviously as a cover up in case anyone got too suspicious... :tinfoil:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ben Franklin was a smart man. He'd realize quite quickly that lightning powers could be used to both impress French Women and to make beer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Carteret posted:

It's filmed entirely in NC, but I think they use "locations" just because it's less work than building a set. For example, last episode used a local cemetery for Clancy Brown's funeral and a lovely motel for Crane's post-it-note emporium.

If this show lasts seven years, at some point they're gonna have to go get some new aerial footage, the bridge you keep seeing, the Tappan Zee, is currently in the process of being replaced with another bridge.

I'm also patiently awaiting the episode where they get on Metro North (the railway they keep showing in night aerial shots) and hit the Big Apple, you know it has to happen. 'This town hath changed greatly, leftenant!'

Lastly, Sleepy Hollow / Tarrytown looks nothing like what they keep showing, I visit relatives and friends in Tarrytown, the town just south, and while there might be pockets of Olde New Englande here and there it's pretty much urbanized. And there's not a single Starbucks in Sleepy Hollow, the closest is up in Ossining or across the bridge in Nyack!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Binary Badger posted:

Lastly, Sleepy Hollow / Tarrytown looks nothing like what they keep showing, I visit relatives and friends in Tarrytown, the town just south, and while there might be pockets of Olde New Englande here and there it's pretty much urbanized. And there's not a single Starbucks in Sleepy Hollow, the closest is up in Ossining or across the bridge in Nyack!

As someone who's never been to Sleepy Hollow nor does she expect to: don't spoil my dream (of Starbucks every city block and gunpowder under the streets). Please.

Is 'lieutenant' as 'leftenant" a Ye Olde British/American Pronunciation, or what? I'm trying to twist the word around to get the way Mison pronounces it from the way it's written (and the way I first heard in Master and Commander...), and fail utterly. How is the word pronounced today in the UK/US?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

meristem posted:

As someone who's never been to Sleepy Hollow nor does she expect to: don't spoil my dream (of Starbucks every city block and gunpowder under the streets). Please.

Is 'lieutenant' as 'leftenant" a Ye Olde British/American Pronunciation, or what? I'm trying to twist the word around to get the way Mison pronounces it from the way it's written (and the way I first heard in Master and Commander...), and fail utterly. How is the word pronounced today in the UK/US?

Americans say Loo-tenant, Brits say left-tenant because they are bad at pronouncing things.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Yeah! Stoopid english people not being able to speak proper english!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah! Stoopid english people not being able to speak proper english!!

Technically speaking it's proper French, "lieu" having been co-opted. But there's a mediaeval spelling of the word that is pronounced "leuf", and as Britain has been around a long time we ended up taking both of them. Americans only took the modern variant.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

drat it, why didn't I check the obvious source.

Thank you, everyone. English is not my first language, but I usually do good on the pronunciation. But in this case, the underlying French simply didn't make sense however I took it. Knowing that it was originally also 'leuf' explains... well, everything.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Saw an interview with Orlando Jones where he said the show's already been plotted years out.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mr. Maltose posted:

Saw an interview with Orlando Jones where he said the show's already been plotted years out.

Orlando Jones is a holographic AI encyclopedia from the future.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Gonz posted:

Orlando Jones is a holographic AI encyclopedia from the future.

I thought he was a crackhead trying to get back on his feet by selling magazine subscriptions.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Mr. Maltose posted:

That can be both a blessing and a curse. The show Supernatural was plotted out for 5 years, we're now going on the 9th season and almost everything post season 5 has sucked major balls.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Week 3 of this crazy train! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Annakie posted:

Week 3 of this crazy train! :dance:

Are we going off the rails yet?

• Locked thread