Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Soo, is there any LP of Occult Chronicles that I can go read (or preferably - watch)? I know there's one linked in the OP, but I'd prefer to watch the game played by someone who doesn't have ADD and can actually read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I gave occult chronicles a try the other day, and I think I basically won. My character was nearly unstoppable with great gear, except that I couldn't find the final boss encounter and ran out of time. Is there any good/reliable way to find it?

I was in that living house mission.

Might be worth turning the difficulty up a notch then, as normal difficult can get like that.

Jenx posted:

Soo, is there any LP of Occult Chronicles that I can go read (or preferably - watch)? I know there's one linked in the OP, but I'd prefer to watch the game played by someone who doesn't have ADD and can actually read.

There is 1 SSLP in the OC forum:
http://www.crypticcomet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2843

(I'm tempted to do an LP for here when the 3 month from release thing is up.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jenx posted:

The trouble is that once you get the idea of the resolution mechanic, the game itself doesn't really change enough as you go through the run. I feel like you'd probably run out of stuff to talk about pretty fast.

Geokinesis posted:

(I'm tempted to do an LP for here when the 3 month from release thing is up.)

I'd be game to help, I just... am not sure how. Differing playstyles, I guess.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What I don't understand about the CultRL situation's latest...well..situation...is that how in the world could he have found himself deep in that sort of mire considering he was/is a rather avid Dwarf Fortress enthusiast and had to have been aware of the coding woes that such a decision would open himself up for given all the trouble it causes Toady and that he has all this crazy Python and library communicating to try and herd like proverbial rabid cats? Especially since the plan, as I vaguely recall it, had always been for a deep'ish level of community involvement in modding and other such endeavors?

I'm still an abject failure at learning to program, but the second I saw that my jaw dropped from the sheer mass of what I'd imagine that'd be like contending with. Yet again, all this, and nary a word to the entire time to the community just to be chatty and maybe a stray second opinion or so?

It is like he set about to build a mammoth Jenga tower, with lubed up pieces, then fell into lament when it collapsed at the slightest breath.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What determines how many hits Sunder Mind does? It seems to bounce back and forth between being hilariously, disgustingly powerful and barely doing any damage without much feedback as to how or why.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

dis astranagant posted:

What determines how many hits Sunder Mind does? It seems to bounce back and forth between being hilariously, disgustingly powerful and barely doing any damage without much feedback as to how or why.

I'm 95% certain it's based on the enemy's Willpower, in the same way that physical attacks interact with armor vs. penetration. You get more damage if your penetration roll overshoots by a greater degree, with the proviso that most weapons have a cap on how big a bonus you can get; I'm not sure Sunder Mind has a cap.

Anyways, if you Berate or Confuse a target before you use Sunder Mind on them it should do more damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What raises my penetration? Just leveling the mutation?

e: welp died and my next dude started with a pair of robo arms

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 24, 2013

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
Ego modifies attacks against mental armor, which is modified by Will. That includes single-target mental mutations, confusion, and some targeted skills.

Maelephant fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 24, 2013

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Well, this became a much more massive wall of text about Qud than I thought it would be. If only I put this much effort into improving myself, ha.

I really need to take some time and just start throwing together a basic page that translates the ObjectBlueprint file for Caves of Qud because there's a lot of handy info in there. For instance, Master Butchery apparently acts as an auto-craft skill. It has (at least a chance) to turn successful butchers into an upgraded form; raw bear meat butchers may instead be bear jerky, albino ape pelts may instead be ape fur hats/cloaks, chitinous pumas have a chance to be butchered for a puma chitin vest (a 3 AV 0 DV 30-pound armor), etc. There's some points below where I talk about "the best item I found so far" which is funny to me, since the Blueprint tells you outright what the best is, and I just haven't checked for those items yet. I really hope there's a better shield, on that note.

Anyway, onward to my rolling wall of text: new build! And learning experiences!

Overall concept is a dual-wield melee fighter with AOE capability and decent ranged combat. Still playing a Water Merchant background just because I like shopscumming at this point; it gives me mini-milestones to cruise through an area collecting loot and food before checking the shops and then tackling a quest objective or preparing for another journey to the Tomb of the Eaters, which for all I know is involved in a quest later (for now it's one of the closest map-markers I haven't explored without dying to the shitload of monsters on its very-open surface).

Knowing shop restock timers would be invaluable, since I can't really tell when or why they restock right now. If I've cleared about a dozen or two screens, the shops have probably restocked, so I check with a recoiler.

Mutations: Burrowing Claws, Horns, Carapace, Night Vision, Regeneration, and Ravenous.

The reasoning is that Carapace turns out to be an 8AV -2DV 40 cold resist/40 fire resist chestpiece once it mutates up to level 10. That's pretty awesome, and it's zero weight. Same general idea with Claws and Horns; they're 0-weight items in those slots with 1-3 AV (Claws give 3 AV maxed, haven't maxed Horns yet but they turn into 1AV at 3 and 2AV at 7ish). Claws give digging, horns give an awesome bleed. I haven't found any items for those slots that give me anything I really feel I'm missing out on compared to the advantages of the mutations.

I level Carapace to 2 immediately for an extra AV, then Horns to 3 for an extra AV and a little extra bleed, then I max Claws for better digging. I alternate points where Claws are maxed for the level between Carapace and Horns as I feel I need whichever moreso. Regen will be maxed last as level 1 helps me plenty, and the last time I took additional levels was to speed up regenerating my severed limbs, which has not happened since.

Regeneration is something I personally like a lot to kite mobs with while I heal if I get in over my head, but I think if I was going to eventually drop something, it would be Regeneration since it doesn't really contribute much besides convenience and insurance against avoidable mistakes. For now, while I'm still learning, I like it. Combined with Sprint, I can heal to full even if enemies sprint after me.

My skills are still being sorted.

Butcher - 50 sp - Gives me food, which I need since I'm ravenous. Even though a butchered piece of meat seems to offer far less nutrition than actual corpses, they're easy to carry and if I'm overburdened, I just eat a few pounds of meat. I view Butcher/Ravenous as paying 50sp for 3 mutation points, which is a steal (unless I mismanage it and starve to death in some ruins, which I doubt would happen thanks to the existence of recoilers).

Long Blades - 50sp - I took the base skill for the +1 since the Joppa shop started with a Carbide blade. I figured I might pick up the Polluxus from Goattown, but even if I didn't, 50 sp isn't a huge loss to have a little more of an edge early. Not totally sure if it was actually a good call or not since every other weapon skill has +2 to hit for 50p (or at least Axes and Short Blades do).

Bows and Rifles - 150 sp total (100sp for the skill, 50sp for Knock Back) - I picked this up asap because the shop had a Weird Artifact for ~130 drams (with an effective 22 ego for barter under this build) that weighed about 11 pounds, and I correctly guessed it was a Carbine. I was level 1 with a carbine, and by level 3 I had Bows and Rifles for +4 agi for the purposes of aiming. This was awesome.

Usually I have a Desert Rifle for this purpose anyway, but a carbine was epic. I used what ammo I scraped together to kill a few Equimaxes. Knockback is fairly reliable in that even Slumberlings get knocked back more than half the time (it only works when adjacent, but that's when it's most needed imo). Bows and Rifles also govern Chain Guns if you were to use it, but a Carbine is better than a chain gun in every way (including total shots as a Carbine shoots 8 times before a reload while a chain gun shoots 7 times before a reload, with twice as many bullets per shot but less penetration per shot). Once my agility hits 25, I plan on taking the Draw a Bead skill from here; I'd take Take Aim, but I'm not clear still on whether its effects last until I move/take damage, or just for the next shot (the former being awesome, the latter being garbage imo).

Later on, once I start finding/building laser rifles and other energy weapons, the skill becomes even more useful since they're all governed by this skill and not a separate energy-weapon skill (confirmed via Blueprint).

Pistols - I tend to skip these because they take a *ton* of skillpoints and agility to make powerful, and they don't get knockback, but I think dual-wield pistols (which do not require the Dual-Wield skill, just the Akimbo pistol skill) might give the best burst damage in the game (if not the best penetrating damage) since they automatically shoot both guns 100% of the time, unlike Dual Wield skill for melee.

Dual Wield - 300 sp for the skill - Base chance to attack with both melee weapons is 15%. Dual Wield makes it 35% for the first level of the skill, 55% for the second level, and 75% for the third level. I think the levels are 300/400/500 sp, so it's not cheap, but the damage is crazy good even early if you use a shortblade offhand, and later using two full-size weapons for 75% dual-wield.

Short Blades - 150 sp total, 50sp for the skill and 100sp for Jab - This is ghetto dual-wield. Jab makes an offhand Short Blade attack twice as often. I'm not sure if it's a multiplicative stack turning my dual-wield into a 70% chance or an additional 15% (the base rate of offhand attacks) turning this into a 50% chance, but for drat sure it means I offhand attack often. I'm packing a folded carbide long sword (2d5 damage) and a folded carbide dagger in my offhand (1d10 damage) and I tear apart what I've been fighting (goatfolk are my toughest opponents so far and I've been killing their shaman reliably and quickly since level 13 or so). I tested this once before but I forgot: I think it's multiplicative because once I had the 55% dual wield skill, I believe I was offhand-striking 100% of the time with Jab using an offhand shortblade.

Shields - 300 sp total for the skill (100sp) + Deft Blocking (200sp, 75% block chance instead of 50%) - I learned that shields are not actually necessary in this build. I wasted 300 skill points (which is a lot for a mutant, that's about 4 levels' worth of SP on this build) until I realized this. I say they're wasted because:

1) Using dual-wield restricts me to bucklers, the best I've ever seen being a Steel Buckler which is +2AV-1DV, and full-size shields (at least the best I've seen) is +3AV-2DV which can't be used while dual-wielding.
2) Fully upgraded, you have a 75% chance to block two attacks each round.
3) A block only adds 1-3 AV depending on your shield, and the shield will drop your DV by -1 to -3, meaning you eat slightly more hits anyway.
4) The biggest danger is being surrounded, and having Claws means I can make tunnels in a pinch to force monsters to fight 1v1.
5) Shields are strongest 1v1, but if I'm 1v1, the odds are good I'm killing whatever I'm fighting or shooting it anyway.

I'm glad I realized it early because I usually sink 500-600 sp into shields (the last 300 sp is from 200sp for the 2-blocks-per-round and 100sp for chance-to-stun on block). I'm sure some builds can make good use of that, but getting higher ranks of Dual Wield are a bigger priority for me.

Tinkering - a shitload of SP, but right now "only" 400sp of the 1000 or so I'll eventually have; 100 each for the skill, diassemble, scavenge, and Tinker I. With this, I have boatloads of tier 1 bits, I store anything that disassembles into multiple bits to eventually disassemble later when I have Expert Disassemble (25 int, 200sp, gives you 100% of the bits from an item meaning you can literally disassemble a carbine to make it zero-weight then reassemble it when you want to, though I would never do that since you can't tinker in combat, but more importantly you keep the elusive tier 2 and 3 bits from disassembling things like negative weight spheres, bigger guns, grenades, less-useful tonics, etc). Scavenge means more bits from trash and robots I kill, and Tinker I lets me use all those Tier 1 bits on the recipes I find for things like HE and freeze grenades and salve injectors.

Heavy Guns - Probably not going to get this, but I keep a grenade launcher on hand to use the aforementioned HE and freezing grenades, which technically uses the Heavy Gun skill. There's no apparently skill bonus, and I don't keep the thing equipped, so I'm probably not going to get this unless there's something I'm missing about one of its abilities helping me out.

Wayfaring - 100sp - Because getting lost sucks rear end. I might dump another 100-200sp here for various lores, but the base 100sp doubles your chance to stop being lost, which is pretty useful in and of itself.

Axe/Cudgels - Cheaper than Long Blades overall, kind of, and with neater effects. I want to switch to using these once I max dual-wield, but it's a massive sp investment that comes much later. I haven't picked these up yet since I haven't found weapons better than my folded carbide blades, and I've also found folded carbide blades to be more common than the others; I've seen exactly one fullerite axe, which was still worse than a folded carbide blade (except in terms of penetration, and even 1 penetration point does seem to make a big difference versus armored foes).

Total SP spent is about 1500sp, 1200sp if you count the fact I basically wasted 300sp on shield skills I now regret. Roughly level 12-18 depending on intelligence to get that many skill points.

I'm going to take a bunch of what I wrote here and eventually throw it into a wiki or something; I just figured drat I LIKE WRITING :words: ABOUT QUD. I really need to make that blueprint translator before someone beats me to the punch though, because that would be a fun project to get myself doing some basic coding again.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 25, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The best full size shield I've seen is eyeless crab shell, which is 4/-3. Horns cap at 2 AV so you can definitely find better hats unless you're just married to the 20% chance to headbutt things. I've seen steel helmets in joppa that are something like 2/-3. One of my guys found a wandering merchant selling a 6/-6 fullerite plate mail for maybe $300.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

The best full size shield I've seen is eyeless crab shell, which is 4/-3. Horns cap at 2 AV so you can definitely find better hats unless you're just married to the 20% chance to headbutt things. I've seen steel helmets in joppa that are something like 2/-3. One of my guys found a wandering merchant selling a 6/-6 fullerite plate mail for maybe $300.

I feel like if I'm melee, the 20% headbutt can't be beat for the slot since it's essentially a 20% chance to get in an extra weapon attack (the damage gets crazy, highest I've had is 2d6 without maxing it, and the bleed is great) without any penalty to DV. The biggest losses I'm aware of are resistances from plastifer/elastyne gear, or night vision/gas mask utility (which I have night vision and regeneration mutations to cover). I'm going to comb through Blueprints later tonight to see if there's anything better because I'm curious, and granted the game will eventually have more content added, but still, gots ta min/max dat single player game, y0

vvv Yeah, I think that build (double-muscled/multiple legs) is probably the best melee build, I just... really love Claws and Regen :(

Double-Muscled for 4, Multiple Legs for 5, Night Vision for 1, and I could still get Regen if I go Ravenous; I just lose my precious claws, unless I bail on Regen. Being a hulking, fast-moving, heavy-hauling and frequent-stunning melee badass with a rocket launcher does sound appealing, I see your point, ha. If Long Blade swipes have a chance to proc stun on all hit targets (I assume they don't) then wow, that'd be crazy.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 25, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, but it you're going melee you should probably be trying to get multiple legs anyway. The movement speed is just that good (caps over 50) and you get to carry a lot more stuff. It also more than compensates for double muscled, letting you stun enemies and invest less in strength.

2d8 looks like pretty midgame damage. A metametal longsword does 3d12 without anything fancy on it. If I'm only getting damage out of a mutation I'd rather take light generation, after the first couple of levels the damage increment goes up by one per level and penetration goes up every other. With enough ego it does absurd amounts of damage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 25, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I'm not very experienced in the game, but light manipulation seems really good. I made a guy with that and 20 ego, and I was basically 1 or 2-hitting most of the enemies I met, while the ego bonus (plus a +1 Ego skull I was wearing) meant that the mutation was maxed most of the time without me spending any MP. I bought some artifact spring-loaded shoes with +15 move speed, letting me kite enemies, and that guy could basically go the whole game without using anything but eye lasers.

I didn't get much farther than talking to the guy at Grit Gate, though. Soon afterwards, I was killed by a goatman throwing an explosive seed at me on the first turn I saw him.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
100 Rogues: is it worth it for someone who thinks NetHack is cooler than Crawl and is more into Brogue than anything else? I'm pondering whether to buy it but I'm really turned off by having to in-app-purchase the classes. Seems like they're locking most of the gameplay behind a lot of money.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maxed out carapace is just about the best body armor in the game (at least without any brands) but it comes at a pretty hefty opportunity cost, especially early and as a water merchant. If you find carbide or better armor early on you're going to have a bit of a wait before your carapace is better.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

If you find carbide or better armor early on you're going to have a bit of a wait before your carapace is better.

I thought this for a long time, but after playing too many water merchants to count (about 8) I'm not really feeling like that. Level 2 carapace is 4 AV, with some thermal resist. Carbide plate is 5 AV iirc, and it also weighs *a lot* which hurts an early Water Merchant's take-almost-everything-not-nailed-down-and-sell-it playstyle. Even Fullerite Plate/Fullerite Flake armor weighs some crazy amount and offers (in total) less overall resist than Carapace (and is barely more AV than level 4-6 carapace, if it even is, I can't remember).

Overall, I see why Carapace costs 4 mutation points. You can have it maxed by level 18 iirc, and even without maxing it, level 2 for 4AV at 0 weight (regardless of DV penalty) with a nice chunk of thermal resist is really hard to beat.

If armor was rebalanced to not weigh so goddamn much, or if a skill was added to the Endurance skillpool that helped reduce the weight of worn armor by some massive amount, I would see Carapace being less awesome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fullerite is 6/-6. The DV penalty really isn't that big of a deal unless you're actively pumping DV for some reason. The best armor is 8/-4 with a bunch of resistances (not much in any of them). Carapace is better but only if you invest 4 points initially and 9 levels of MP along the way. However you can also get quite a few nice bonuses added in that can bring the stats up and weight down.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cyphoderus posted:

100 Rogues: is it worth it for someone who thinks NetHack is cooler than Crawl and is more into Brogue than anything else? I'm pondering whether to buy it but I'm really turned off by having to in-app-purchase the classes. Seems like they're locking most of the gameplay behind a lot of money.

In a word: no. The dude that runs Dinofarm is a pretentious douche and the game is buggy as hell.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cyphoderus posted:

What are you going to be playing the game on?
(The answer is no, but I'm trying to find an alternative game for you.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't be suckered in by the fancy name of the Nullray Pistol. It devours cells and doesn't seem to actually do anything when you shoot people with it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Don't be suckered in by the fancy name of the Nullray Pistol. It devours cells and doesn't seem to actually do anything when you shoot people with it.

The blueprint file says its projectile literally has a base damage of 0. Not sure if there's supposed to be some other effect, but yeah, the thing takes 5000 charge per shot. A chem cell holds 10000 charge. Guessing it's bugged/incomplete/plot related, which is a bummer since the recipe for it comes up so often.

Dec 26, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

In a word: no. The dude that runs Dinofarm is a pretentious douche and the game is buggy as hell.

Even when it's not being buggy, there's just not a whole lot to it of value.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I just died in Occult Chronicles because I got so unhappy about my bad entrance into a boxing ring that I went insane. :saddowns:

edit: If you want a challenge without upping the difficulty level to veteran, then jesus, try 'Into the Belly of the Beast'. So far I've had starting random encounters with difficulty level 9, a random encounter with an instakill chance attached, and the 4th story token I picked is 'all failed Psychic challenges have at least one Instant Insanity card'.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 26, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stelas posted:

I just died in Occult Chronicles because I got so unhappy about my bad entrance into a boxing ring that I went insane. :saddowns:

edit: If you want a challenge without upping the difficulty level to veteran, then jesus, try 'Into the Belly of the Beast'. So far I've had starting random encounters with difficulty level 9, a random encounter with an instakill chance attached, and the 4th story token I picked is 'all failed Psychic challenges have at least one Instant Insanity card'.

Haha, at least you didn't go insane from failing to pick a door as that seems like it would be the most embarrassing.

Belly of the Beast is pretty cool though what with the mouths everywhere.
That is a pretty brutal story token though, did you have negative luck or anything?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I was having to claw every step of the way that game, yeah. I was also rolling with Sprained Wrist and Internal Injuries just for laughs.

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
I just bought Occult Chronicles and I'm finding it really hard and convoluted. Any tips/recommended starting builds/what to avoid? Or can anyone link a guide or something? I've played about 30 games and have yet to make any real progress. In my last game my first encounter was a gang of haunted dolls(spooky); I failed the horror check and promptly lost 7 sanity in one go :negative:

mottbag fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 27, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

mottbag posted:

I just bought Occult Chronicles and I'm finding it really hard and convoluted. Any tips/recommended starting builds/what to avoid? Or can anyone link a guide or something? I've played about 30 games and have yet to make any real progress. In my last game my first encounter was a gang of haunted dolls(spooky); I failed the horror check and promptly lost 7 sanity in one go :negative:

Don't take Health or Sanity at start. Pour your points into attributes, focusing on one or two. Pick a class that dovetails with that. Pick a Bone based on your starting items, remembering that you get one for free - for instance, Thief starts with a Defence Feat (Cups), a Bone of Cups, and a Melee Weapon (Swords). So a Bone of Swords is the natural starting option for them so that they can actually use that weapon.

Once you're in the game, remember that some classes start with free tokens to spend on upgrades by clicking 'Personnel File' -> 'Background'. You'll get more from checks. Buy up stats first until they reach a cost of 5, then buy 'Add Skill Card', which will allow you to take what amounts to a subclass. Your subclass should ideally offer a Bone you don't have yet, and help shore up a third stat.

Almost all characters need Wands. They're heavily used in Horror checks and everything in the goddamn mansion will have a horror check attached.

Remember to use your items! If one of the sets of numbers in the bottom bar lights up green, you have a skill or item that you have the option of using. Melee weapons are always worth using, they have no drawbacks to using them. Ranged weapons will use up their ammo count. Heroic Feats will burn off their Courage supply, Spells burn off Energy. Energy is a whole lot harder to find than Courage, watch out for that. Psychic talents don't cost anything but they'll all 'psychic pushback' which will dramatically increase the chance of consequences if you fail a check for several steps after using it.

Tarot cards are wild cards. You can use them on any revealed card, and most of them have a major effect if you use them (heal all wounds, replenish all courage...) but that you might well be giving away a stat boost.

Generally speaking your route should be something like: Sweep through one wing of the house, then go upstairs and work your way back to the entrance. Repeat with the other wing. Try to be efficient in when you complete quests, so you're not backtracking every minute. Recognize over time which items are likely to be part of a quest chain, since it is possible to destroy or resolve an important encounter and thus lose access to the quest. (eg: the red tapestry is used in the card ritual quest, but you can find it and destroy it before you see the cards) By that point you should have a decent power level and enough time left to race down to B2F, where the final room usually spawns. If you've encountered the ghostly seance on 2F and joined it, rather than blown it up, then you might have a Crystal Ball which will reveal the final room's location on your map. Otherwise, hunt for secret doors a lot.

My first win was with a 2 / 3 / 3 / 1 Thief, who went Investigator and then Talisman Expert. Starting with 4 Cups 4 Wands 3 Swords (after starting tokens/items) lets you deal with a vast majority of situations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

S.T.C.A. posted:

Dammit, this makes me want to fire up Putty and connect to the Crawl servers.
:ssh:

Web Browser-based Tiles Version

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Occult Chronicles:

Thief is a pretty great go-to class, but my personal "I feel like winning a game today" build is 2-2-2-3 (3 in pentacles) Professor, bone of pentacles, Mental Fortress (because it helps trivialize horror checks and therefore make you long-term invulnerable to sanity depletion), with Psychic and Athletic skills.

"But that gives you two wand bones!" Yeah, but it also lets you lunge for an early Clairvoyance, which may be the single most overpowered Edge in the game.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

That's pretty cool.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 27, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

mottbag posted:

Also if you are playing a character geared towards certain stats feel free to just flee anything that focuses on your weaker stats and comeback when/if you feel you can take it on. So if you have mainly swords and cups and encounter something that needs high pentangles or wands, just flee and and try again later.

Can you give us a run through of how you create your character and play, as stuff like that might help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hahaha started up a true man artifex and the very first thing I run into is one of the yellow snapjaws with loving Stopsvalinn, a 3/0 buckler with +1 ego and some kind of anti-robot version of force bubble.

E: no love for the 4 corner simultaneous day. So much down the drain.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 27, 2013

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Really enjoyed the Desktop Dungeons Alpha, but hit a ceiling. Does anybody happen to have a profile file (PC) where everything is unlocked for me to play around with?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I made these animated gifs of Sproggiwood in action for the Making Games thread; I thought you guys might enjoy them:

Sproggiwood is pretty much completely playable, we're in the process of fleshing out content. Here's a few little quickly made gifs of action happening:

Warrior charges:

Wizard teleports and kill some stuff with frost ring:

Farmer chucks a pumpkin to kill a group of slimes:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
But then I don't get all my macros which I need to play on my laptop. :colbert:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Unormal posted:

I made these animated gifs of Sproggiwood in action for the Making Games thread; I thought you guys might enjoy them:

Sproggiwood is pretty much completely playable, we're in the process of fleshing out content. Here's a few little quickly made gifs of action happening:

That is a great-looking roguelike. Just having idle animations makes a huge difference.

e: I guess Dreadmor has those, too, but those were mainly just enemies walking in place and weren't quite as lively

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

But then I don't get all my macros which I need to play on my laptop. :colbert:

Like what?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Warrior charges:

Those look fantastic!!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Teleglitch is pretty hard you guys. I keep getting my poo poo kicked in by one of the first enemies with a gun I run into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Unormal posted:

Warrior charges:

Adorable?

ADORABLE! :swoon:

Will it be ported to Android?