Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Uuuugh, if I weren't so loving busy the next two weeks I would fry the poo poo out of some pickle brined chicken thighs.

Talk to me more about pickle brined chicken thighs, that sounds like my dream food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Iron Lung posted:

Talk to me more about pickle brined chicken thighs, that sounds like my dream food.

Just brine the chicken in pickle juice (or diluted pickle juice with other stuff if you want, or pickled pepper juice or whatever) before you fry it. Brining chicken in general usually produces good results.

I've done it with pickle juice and pepper juice and it turns out okay but I think I prefer the rosemary buttermilk fried chicken from whatever Keller book that was.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Iron Lung posted:

Well you put chicken thighs in dill pickle brine for some hours and then you make fried chicken with them. You can stretch the brine with rice vinegar as long as you don't use too much. Nothing too fancy, but it is the best way to make fried chicken in the history of man.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pickle brine is also one of the "secret ingredients" in Chick Fila chicken sandwiches.

http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=578

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
It's one of the secret ingredients in a lot of fried chicken in the South. You run a restaurant and you serve pickles with sandwiches or whatever, gently caress spending money on buttermilk brine, just use the leftover pickle juice.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sweet pickle brine is what makes or breaks a potato salad :ssh:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Sjurygg posted:

Sweet pickle brine is what makes or breaks a potato salad :ssh:

You seem to have misspelled bacon, onions, and hot mustard, good sir.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

That's another kind of potato salad, I'm talking about Christian potato salad.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Sjurygg posted:

That's another kind of potato salad, I'm talking about Christian potato salad.

The kind you eat with crackers?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

contrapants posted:

The kind you eat with crackers?

Yes, who else would bring it?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Found a site from the Library of Congress where they are scanning in rare books in putting them up in pdf format (just picture files so you cannot highlight text) and I have been loving the gastronomy section. The recipes in "The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick, beautifying, and cookery :" are great, but no real measurements. I still might try some of them.

I have only glanced at some of the others.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll/digitalcoll-gastronomy.html

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

antisodachrist posted:

Found a site from the Library of Congress where they are scanning in rare books in putting them up in pdf format (just picture files so you cannot highlight text) and I have been loving the gastronomy section. The recipes in "The Accomplish'd lady's delight in preserving, physick, beautifying, and cookery :" are great, but no real measurements. I still might try some of them.

I have only glanced at some of the others.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/digitalcoll/digitalcoll-gastronomy.html

This is amazing, I love looking at old cookbooks like this.

I recently got a physical copy of Cassell's Dictionary Of Cookery from 1899 and the recipes look interesting (I haven't had time to prepare any yet) but also it has a whole section on the principles of cookery, such as steaks, joints, gravy, wine etc. I can put some samples up of the stuff if anyone is interested.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I just made a beef stock with fond, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Holy hell, this is umami incarnate.

doritto
May 12, 2013

BlueGrot posted:

I just made a beef stock with fond, oyster sauce and fish sauce. Holy hell, this is umami incarnate.

Oh god make dipped sandwiches in that.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

It's going in a boeuf bourguignon.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Put a pork butt in the oven before I went to sleep so I could wake up to some delicious low-and-slow pulled pork. Don't really smell it when I wake up. Walk into the kitchen all bleary-eyed and notice the oven's off. Christ...

my loving oven posted:

The oven control has a factory preset built-in 6 Hour Energy Saving feature that will shut off the oven if the oven control is left on for more than 6 hours. The oven can be programmed to override this feature for Continuous Baking.

This is a bad loving week for me losing big hunks of meat.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Geokinesis posted:

This is amazing, I love looking at old cookbooks like this.

I recently got a physical copy of Cassell's Dictionary Of Cookery from 1899 and the recipes look interesting (I haven't had time to prepare any yet) but also it has a whole section on the principles of cookery, such as steaks, joints, gravy, wine etc. I can put some samples up of the stuff if anyone is interested.
A vintage cookbook thread would be awesome.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cuddlebottom posted:

I found an 1890s Shaker Vegetarian cookbook in that link that the GF enjoyed.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Cuddlebottom posted:

I was thinking of after christmas doing a 'cook along' style thread specifically with recipes from the book I have. Mainly because the recipes can often be vague in certain areas, so if a few people all try at once then they'll be able to share if anything worked better or worse.

An extract on how food should look good:

quote:

In addition to the first and primary principle of cooking, i.e., of supplying the body with nourishment, there are two other important principles to be constantly borne in mind— one is to please the palate, the other to please the eye. We have called them two principles, but in reality they are one, for the reason that the palate is pleased by means of the eye. There are some good old sayings pregnant with meaning, such as. "It makes one hungry to look at it," or "It makes one's mouth water." Have you ever observed a very hungry animal tied up, or in a cage, just before it is fed, when a fine and to him tempting piece of juicy meat is brought in
view? Making the mouth water is no figure of speech, but a reality that can be witnessed any day at the Zoological Gardens.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I had a good cooking day today. Sometimes it feels like I'm just not quite on form, but today everything came out as hoped and intended. Nothing too special or tricky, but all delicious:
Brunch: Spanish tortilla, spinach with garlic yoghurt and chilli butter. Then I roasted some figs with goats cheese and drizzled them with honey and pistachios. Never done it before, by god I'll do it again. Really delicious, and excellent effort/reward ratio.

Dinner was just a simple made-up Turkish red lentil soup with cumin. I copied a technique I saw recently for a dahl and whisked it to break up the lentils and release the starch. Like everything else, it wasn't particularly difficult but it was really delicious and satisfying (plus there are leftovers). That's my favourite kind of cooking!

Do you know what I mean about having good and bad cooking days? I'm pretty objective/critical about my cooking, so when something is not quite right, as intended, or could be better, I am very aware of it. (Similarly, when something works I am very happy! - although there is almost always something that can be improved).

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 28, 2013

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

therattle posted:

Do you know what I mean about having good and bad cooking days? I'm pretty objective/critical about my cooking, so when something is not quite right, as intended, or could be better, I am very aware of it. (Similarly, when something works I am very happy! - although there is almost always something that can be improved).

First off, congrats on nailing your projects.

Second, gently caress yeah I know that feeling, and I'm just a middling-food-loving-cook-at-home-guy.
Even still, I take pride in what I make, and some days I just seem to be unable to make anything.

Sometimes the fish sticks, man.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I finally have a venison hookup! A coworker mentioned to me that her boyfriend hunts and on Friday I received a beautiful loin in exchange for good beer. It was so drat tasty, my girlfriend cooked it with 5-spice and a few other things. I haven't had venison since I moved north and my point here is that Bambi is delicious.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Jenkin posted:

my point here is that Bambi is delicious.

So it was you.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Have fun herding cats in A/T, Big Cheese.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Oh, I thought you meant he was posting in the thread about michelin restuarants and pricing, not that he is a mod there now.
I hope he does well anyway; with the other new person it appears that the power has gone straight to their head.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Was it a goon in here that was studying to be a patent agent?

Children are wonderful and rewarding things, except when they wake up in the night with a vomiting bug. Such a small child, so much vomit. It almost defies the laws of physics.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Was it a goon in here that was studying to be a patent agent?

I passed half the patent agent exams in Canada before deciding that the industry wasn't for me and switching to doing database and development work, so that was probably me. (Dev/DB stuff also pays better and is more interesting)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my fridge currently smells like epoisses, but there is no epoisses in it :(

send help

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Send cheese.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

send help
Open container of baking soda.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I passed half the patent agent exams in Canada before deciding that the industry wasn't for me and switching to doing database and development work, so that was probably me. (Dev/DB stuff also pays better and is more interesting)

Ah yes. drat. I have had an idea and wanted to know if it was original, and capable of being patented. I even would have paid!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

You should probably report it to SCP just in case http://www.scp-wiki.net/

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

Ah yes. drat. I have had an idea and wanted to know if it was original, and capable of being patented. I even would have paid!

Pm me if you have any questions, I can give you a quick bit of "lol internet legal non advice" if you want. I can give you a quick primer.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

therattle posted:

I am a practicing patent attorney, and even in the U.S.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Test Pattern posted:

I'll PM you both and compare your answers!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I'm getting married on Saturday and immediately leaving for the honeymoon.

Are there any recipes I should try that take a week or so of waiting? I can only think of preparing pickles for when we get back. The fiancée doesn't like kimchi, and I don't love it enough to want to make ferment at home.

Maybe a sourdough starter, but I think I'd have to feed it in the beginning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

contrapants posted:

I'm getting married on Saturday and immediately leaving for the honeymoon.

Are there any recipes I should try that take a week or so of waiting? I can only think of preparing pickles for when we get back. The fiancée doesn't like kimchi, and I don't love it enough to want to make ferment at home.

Maybe a sourdough starter, but I think I'd have to feed it in the beginning.

Duck Prosciutto?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

Oh great now we have to fight. First person to find the stupidest patent (application) wins.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Oh great now we have to fight. First person to find the stupidest patent (application) wins.

No he's in the U.S. And you're in Canada so as long as neither of you travels to the other country then j think you'll be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I still want to know who bought your stupid avatards.