Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hydrolith posted:

That's the thing. A minigun is not a real weapon, at least not in individual-portable format. You might as well put bright orange on the end of your ostentatious sci fi super laser rifles (or whatever)

I think they do a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forti
May 5, 2009

Oh that Jessica Nigri

Commence derail

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I don't recognize the costume, but I like it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I don't recognize the costume, but I like it.

I'm gonna say it's Edward Kenway from the upcoming Assassin's Creed game. Just my guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's Connor's from AC3.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yup, she certainly has boobs. BEEP BOOP starting boner.exe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's Connor's from AC3.

I don't see it. Her knife does have a sick skull on it which makes me think pirate, tho

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's AC4. She also did a Connor (AC3) costume though. Ubisoft seems pretty big on bringing fans into their game promotion. Anyway, why does Jessica Nigri seem to be considered controversial in this thread?

On that note, I heard there was a big controversy and drama over a Syfy documentary (reality show?) about cosplay. Does anyone know what that was about?

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Fister Roboto posted:

What's the proper term for a group of Bowies? A glam of Bowies?

Wonko the Sane.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

VagueRant posted:

On that note, I heard there was a big controversy and drama over a Syfy documentary (reality show?) about cosplay. Does anyone know what that was about?

I think somebody mentioned that the producers tried to rig the contests in various underhanded ways.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, why does Jessica Nigri seem to be considered controversial in this thread?

Probably because we all turn into drooling imbeciles when we see pictures of her and can't muster up anything to say besides "BOOBS!" in reply to them. Doesn't mean she's not a pretty cool person who does awesome work, though.

quote:

7 Reasons Why Heroes of Cosplay is Terrible is a decent article regarding what is bad about the show. I don't know about any specific drama, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VagueRant posted:

It's AC4. She also did a Connor (AC3) costume though. Ubisoft seems pretty big on bringing fans into their game promotion. Anyway, why does Jessica Nigri seem to be considered controversial in this thread?

She, herself, isn't controversial but rather some of the reactions to her. She's a very attractive woman who tends to have amazing costumes. Some people take admiration of her to creepy levels. Some people seem to think that a picture of her warrants a twelve page discussion about her boobs and if it is or is not acceptable to have a twelve page discussion about her boobs, somebody will bring up an incident where a con asked her to change her costume because the one she was in was too revealing, and...you get the idea.

This is the cosplay thread not the Jessica Nigiri thread. She has a tendency to start massive derails that end badly and quit being about how she is really, really good about cosplaying.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Maybe we can get slightly back on topic. My son would really like to be Connor from AC3 for Halloween but I'm not ok with spending $$$. They have some amazing costumes online but they start at like $170.00. Any advice on where to find steps to make one on the cheap?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kali11324 posted:

Maybe we can get slightly back on topic. My son would really like to be Connor from AC3 for Halloween but I'm not ok with spending $$$. They have some amazing costumes online but they start at like $170.00. Any advice on where to find steps to make one on the cheap?

I think the problem with something like an AC assassin's suit on the cheap is that they're fairly complicated and specialized clothes.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Kali11324 posted:

Maybe head to the cosplay-creation thread and ask for some advice.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045

Also Check out Instructables for possible tutorials on projects. http://www.instructables.com/index

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kali11324 posted:

You can totally make a sweded version with some sewing. Now this is just me planning out loud, but you probably need to start with a white hoodie and sew on the coattails and hide the seam with the belt. That's the big thing. Add some black/brown pants, white buttoned shirt, boots, gloves and accessories and it should be recognizable. Just shop at a Goodwill so you aren't pausing a ton for a costume. Big things will be the coat and accessories.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

She, herself, isn't controversial but rather some of the reactions to her. She's a very attractive woman who tends to have amazing costumes. Some people take admiration of her to creepy levels. Some people seem to think that a picture of her warrants a twelve page discussion about her boobs and if it is or is not acceptable to have a twelve page discussion about her boobs, somebody will bring up an incident where a con asked her to change her costume because the one she was in was too revealing, and...you get the idea.

This is the cosplay thread not the Jessica Nigiri thread. She has a tendency to start massive derails that end badly and quit being about how she is really, really good about cosplaying.

I always thought that people kept saying she was a really lovely person since she became internet famous and started getting hired to appear places.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Jessica Nigri is one of the many, many reasons the first line in the OP is "Stop acting like creeps." The old thread couldn't handle admitting that a cosplayer was hot without making a million and one lewd comments or talking about how much they wanted to bone her.

There's nothing wrong with posting pics of Nigri/talking about her so long as you don't act like major creepers or derail the thread too hard.

Ed: And just to nip the other popular Nigri topic in the bud: Yes, they're real. Yes, she has confirmed this. No, you don't need to express your disbelief at her breasts for the millionth time. In fact, I'd appreciate it if you didn't.

Lance Streetman has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Sep 28, 2013

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like an awful location for a knife. If it was latched in place I could see the convenience of it facing the other direction. It just looks like a great way to stab yourself in the neck.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: And just to nip the other popular Nigri topic in the bud: Yes, they're real. Yes, she has confirmed this. No, you don't need to express your disbelief at her breasts for the millionth time. In fact, I'd appreciate it if you didn't.
Honestly, people who are "surprised" by that probably don't understand how malleable breasts are.

(PYF-mandated youtube link description: Venture Bros cosplay team talking about their build process, including a Dr. Mrs. The Monarch costume)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ragequit posted:

That seems like an awful location for a knife. If it was latched in place I could see the convenience of it facing the other direction. It just looks like a great way to stab yourself in the neck.

It's not a knife, it's just a fancy buckle.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

It's not a knife, it's just a fancy buckle.

Ah that makes sense. The little "sheath" threw me off.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I get mad when people do the Solaire pose wrong. Most everyone seems to just raise their arms. INCORRECT. You're also supposed to arch your back a little and turn your face skyward, as if you were in some sort of religious ecstasy. Just raising your arms makes you look like a Power Ranger, not Solaire.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lance Streetman posted:

Hey guys don't talk about these breasts but let me just point how real they are, so very real and supple and totally real. :getin:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Nathilus posted:

I get mad when people do the Solaire pose wrong. Most everyone seems to just raise their arms. INCORRECT. You're also supposed to arch your back a little and turn your face skyward, as if you were in some sort of religious ecstasy. Just raising your arms makes you look like a Power Ranger, not Solaire.
Also, you should be on your tiptoes. When you praise the motherfucking sun, do it right.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Also, you should be on your tiptoes. When you praise the motherfucking sun, do it right.

EXACTLY. Finally, someone who knows what the gently caress they are talking about. :colbert:

Wanna be my Sunbro?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Francodipshit posted:

Yup, she certainly has boobs. BEEP BOOP starting boner.exe

I said the exact same thing, but unironically.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

To me it always looked like someone stretching out in the morning sunlight after getting out of bed v:shobon:v

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Lot of people getting mad about boobs in this thread.

Shut up.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pft is that arm even real? :rolleyes:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Geez, it's all about a cosplayer's arms, isn't it? Is that always the first place you look, mind the walrus? You're disgusting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

If I ever met the person attached to those arms I'd take them out for a modestly priced Italian dinner.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Honestly, people who are "surprised" by that probably don't understand how malleable breasts are.
I was expecting this to be Jenna Marbles' fantastic video on the topic.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Hydrolith posted:

I was expecting this to be Jenna Marbles' fantastic video on the topic.

I love the way that girl talks. I can't tell if she's playing it up for the video or not, but she's fantastic. Thanks for that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

New Leaf posted:

I love the way that girl talks. I can't tell if she's playing it up for the video or not, but she's fantastic. Thanks for that.

She's actually playing it down. If you listen to her earlier videos you can hear her super duper thick east coast accent come through. I'm not sure if it's just that her voice has changed after moving to LA or what, but she definately switched her voice to be less Snooki sounding at some point.

She also has another video applicable to this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HErdtVkR3Nw

Kali11324 posted:

For the shoes, just get some moccasins.

The leg wraps look like they could be some kind of microsuede so get some of that, distress it with a hammer and knife to make it look all worn like the ones he wears and then cut some long strips off of it. Wrap them around your sons legs and then affix some velcro inside the "seam" that's in the center to keep them in place. After that twist the strips you cut off into cords and tie them around the knee.

You honestly see so little of the pants themselves that you could just get a pair of blue dockers from goodwill or something.

The jacket is a heavily modified Regimental Coat and the vest/waistcoat is the standard undershirt for it. You should be able to find a sewing pattern for the coat and then be able to modify it with the hood and shoulder pads. I'd say that since it's a Halloween costume you could probably get away with just using any white dress vest.

Then you could build the gloves out of a pair of suede gloves and the same basic way you build the boots.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Sep 29, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Kali11324 posted:

Maybe start with a white hooded bath towel? and go from there?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ragequit posted:

Ah that makes sense. The little "sheath" threw me off.

What he meant to say is, Thats not a knoife. This is a fahncy buckle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of women cosplaying AC protagonists, here's some pretty badass Aveline.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
This one is the best I have ever seen.

It's a girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hydrolith posted:

That's the thing. A minigun is not a real weapon, at least not in individual-portable format. You might as well put bright orange on the end of your ostentatious sci fi super laser rifles (or whatever)

Uh, pretty sure Jesse "The Body" Ventura had a man-portable M134 minigun in Predator, and that was a semi-accurate account of the invasion in Grenada.

• Locked thread