Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
The Optimist is great, nothing wrong with it. I'd eat there again, sure!

However, we've been going to Lure in midtown, which is loving incredible for seafood/fish. It's similar in price, but the service and food is outstanding. Like, so good, you crave it all the time and want to go back. They make virtually everything in-house, fillet their own fish, etc... They make shrubs. They have their own smokers (cold and hot). They make insane butter for their bread. The portions are worthy of man appetites. It's also a lot smaller than the Optimist, which is this giant-rear end-loud-room, like every other "Atlanta style" restaurant. I don't get it... it's such an Atlanta thing to do in restaurant design (think loud Rathbuns, etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kimball House (tumblr, instagram, facebook) opens up in Decatur on Wednesday night from the Leon's & Brick Store crews. Apparently 5pm-1am. I'll be there after work (before 7).

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

kuskus posted:

Kimball House (tumblr, instagram, facebook) opens up in Decatur on Wednesday night from the Leon's & Brick Store crews. Apparently 5pm-1am. I'll be there after work (before 7).

I plan on going around six that night. They will have some specials at their raw bar for happy hour. Dollar oysters is what I was told.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

I didn't know they were this close to opening. I'll probably be there Wednesday night. Send me a text message if you'd like to meet up.

Now let me tell my #firstworldproblems tale of woe:

The General Muir is my favorite restaurant. According to Foursquare, I've checked in 73 times there, so I've probably been there 80+ times. I almost always eat at the bar, and so I have been served by one of two bartenders (Rebecca and Adrienne, both whom I adore) probably 70+ times. Due to familiarity we established a good rapport and I enjoyed that. If it were brunch, they'd bring me a large orange juice when I sat down. Rebecca would make me various sodas (orange ginger, blueberry lime, etc) since I don't drink anymore. I don't think either ever charged me for a juice or soda ever, and on occasion they'd give me a dessert on them. Needless to say, I very much enjoyed their fantastic service and rather enjoyed talking with them.

Unfortunately, both left The General Muir around the same time a couple weeks ago. While the chef remains my favorite (what he produces just really fits with what I want in food), and many of the other people (such as the barista, managers, and other staff) remain and I like them very much, I really miss the two bartenders.

Anyway, I bring this up because one of them, Adrienne, will be working at Kimball House. The other, Rebecca, now works at Folk Art, which I visited this past weekend. If you go to either place and they serve you, tell them Rick says hello.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

The General Muir is my favorite restaurant. According to Foursquare, I've checked in 73 times there, so I've probably been there 80+ times.

jesus christ, damnson

I mean, I'm being completely lazy - I'll be the first to admit, but I still have yet to make it there a single time. and I still think of muir as a relatively new opening.

guess I need to pick up my game, for serious.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
The General Muir Reuben being on Creative Loafing's 100 Atlanta bucket list foods is well deserved. Just went there for the first time last weekend and man if it wasn't the best Reuben I've ever had.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

jesus christ, damnson

I mean, I'm being completely lazy - I'll be the first to admit, but I still have yet to make it there a single time. and I still think of muir as a relatively new opening.

guess I need to pick up my game, for serious.

When I like a place, I will visit a lot. I suspect I feel the same way about Ginsberg as you do about Blais. The service I have received has always been fantastic, so that's another reason to keep going back. I go every Sunday for brunch, occasionally for brunch on Saturdays, for a midweek dinner on pierogi or brisket night a couple times a month, on the majority of weekdays when I work from home, and for a weekend dinner probably every three weeks or so. All that adds up.

Mammon Loves You posted:

The General Muir Reuben being on Creative Loafing's 100 Atlanta bucket list foods is well deserved. Just went there for the first time last weekend and man if it wasn't the best Reuben I've ever had.

The crab Reuben they do on Saturday nights is absurdly good. They've started buying larger crabs to "step up their crab game".

Crab Reuben:

Pastrami & Egg sandwich (my favorite brunch item):

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

venutolo posted:

The crab Reuben they do on Saturday nights is absurdly good. They've started buying larger crabs to "step up their crab game".

Crab Reuben:

Goddam, son! I have to go now. The Crab Reuben is only on Saturday nights?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

York_M_Chan posted:

Goddam, son! I have to go now. The Crab Reuben is only on Saturday nights?

Correct.

Their daily dinner specials are:
Wednesday - pierogies
Thursday - brisket (sous vide)
Friday - fried chicken
Saturday - crab Reuben

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

venutolo posted:

Correct.

Their daily dinner specials are:
Wednesday - pierogies
Thursday - brisket (sous vide)
Friday - fried chicken
Saturday - crab Reuben

Reubens are my favorite sandwich and I've never had a Crab Reuben. That looks amazing. We went to brunch last month at Muir and loved it. My wife and I split one of those special bagel platters and the 4 year old had latkes.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Would anyone be for a goon dinner at The General Muir sometime? I think the Chai Pani dinner a few months back was a success and I'd be down for organizing it.

I could also probably organize the same at Community Q if there'd be interest in that.

AgentHaiTo posted:

and the 4 year old had latkes.
Your 4 year old has excellent taste. I get the latkes every brunch aside from when I order the Fish and Potatoes since that dish is smoked salmon over latkes.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

venutolo posted:

Would anyone be for a goon dinner at The General Muir sometime? I think the Chai Pani dinner a few months back was a success and I'd be down for organizing it.

I could also probably organize the same at Community Q if there'd be interest in that.

You have my sword/wallet/belly. Whatevs. For both!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kuskus posted:

Is this the place where Brian from Brick Store and Miles from Leon's are defecting to?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this the place where Brian from Brick Store and Miles from Leon's are defecting to?

To say the least.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kuskus posted:

To say the least.
Any other mainstays changing over?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Matt from the Brick Store as well

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

Yup, I'm in! Haven't been to the Muir yet either. Crab reuben sounds good

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I understand not wanting to change like 'aint broke dont fixit' type mentality, but the brickstore is sort of broken food wise. I felt that way like 7 years ago when it was one of my more favored spots in town to grab some after work food/drink, but now it's just kind of like 'come onnnn guys' - there still hasn't been much change. The same stupid underseasoned pasta salad on the menu for this long? And fine with not changing mainstays like fish and chips - but they aren't even particularly stellar fish and chips. I guess I just feel like they could up their game and instantly regain a lot of relevance Atlanta-food-scene wise.

also yeah, I'd probably be down for a muir goonmeet! depends a lot on date/time, but in general I'd be all for it (my gal as well)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

God dammit I'm going to have to fly back to Atlanta and just eat at the General Muir over and over again.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Still haven't gotten to General Muir, but I suppose a goon meet is as good as time as ever.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also yeah, I'd probably be down for a muir goonmeet! depends a lot on date/time, but in general I'd be all for it (my gal as well)

If we do a The General Muir goonmeet, and there seems to be enough initial interest to do so, I'll probably aim for dinner on a Saturday, maybe around 6:30pm. I imagine Saturday is easier for people than midweek, and 6:30pm is early enough that it probably isn't too burdensome for the restaurant to reserve and put a few tables together for a large group at that time. Saturdays are also crab Reuben night.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
I could eat a food sometime.

Don't schedule it during a Georgia Tech home game, though, I have season tickets

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I had dinner at The General Muir tonight (pierogi night!) and talked to one of the managers about setting up a dinner sometime in the near future. She said they could probably come up with some sort of fixed price, three course menu if desired ($30 was the price thrown out, but I wouldn't hold them to that). So if that appeals, we could do that, however people may just want Reubens, crab Reubens, pastrami and liver sandwiches, poutine, and other items that The General Muir is most known for (especially if it would be your first visit).

Sometime in the next few days I'll start planning this thing. I'll probably put up some sort of Google Docs form to try to figure out some Saturday night when most people could make it and whether we want to have a fixed price menu or just order off the normal Saturday night menu.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

venutolo posted:

I had dinner at The General Muir tonight (pierogi night!) and talked to one of the managers about setting up a dinner sometime in the near future. She said they could probably come up with some sort of fixed price, three course menu if desired ($30 was the price thrown out, but I wouldn't hold them to that). So if that appeals, we could do that, however people may just want Reubens, crab Reubens, pastrami and liver sandwiches, poutine, and other items that The General Muir is most known for (especially if it would be your first visit).

Sometime in the next few days I'll start planning this thing. I'll probably put up some sort of Google Docs form to try to figure out some Saturday night when most people could make it and whether we want to have a fixed price menu or just order off the normal Saturday night menu.

How do you think the hypothetical $30 figure might compare to just ordering off the menu, food-wise? After hearing you guys yak about this place so much you've gone and got me interested, but I'm not so sure about that price. I'm freshly unemployed and need to skate by on my savings for a while.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm freshly unemployed and need to skate by on my savings for a while.
You will likely feel bad about literally eating your savings, then. You can eat there sans beverage and get out for under $12-15 with tip and feel quite satisfied indeed, but if I was earning no money I wouldn't eat out period. That said- the regular reuben was too stiff and fatty for my taste (both would probably be solved by ordering the exact same thing moments later) but I've enjoyed the burger about 4 times and thinks it's absolutely tops. I believe you can also get it at Bocado, though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Did anybody make it to Kimball House? I've worked every night until 2a, sadly. Miles' woman said they've been doing gangbusters though.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Got reservations at The Spence next week for my brothers birthday. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations or "stay away at all cost"?

kontona
May 3, 2003

kuskus posted:

Did anybody make it to Kimball House? I've worked every night until 2a, sadly. Miles' woman said they've been doing gangbusters though.

i haven't had a chance to go yet. seems like people love it though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

godzirraRAWR posted:

Got reservations at The Spence next week for my brothers birthday. Has anyone been there? Any recommendations or "stay away at all cost"?

it's good food, but the portions are a little small (and pricey). be ready to spend $60-80 per person before gratuity to do it right (wine, actually ordering all the things that look good, generally enjoying yourself)

if cost isn't an issue and/or you're celebrating something, you should have a blast. disclaimer, I haven't been in 6ish months, and I know some of the cooks have changed. presumably blais is still there though. :) (PRESUMABLY)

edit: and because I hate it when people say "the portions are small", let me just add a second disclaimer that I mean relative to cost. like, $18 small plates that you can finish in a couple bites. which is fine, because they're generally good bites, and that's the style I think blais is best at anyways.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 27, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
:ramsay:Goon Dinner @ The General Muir:ramsay:

If you are interested in a goon dinner at The General Muir, please fill out the following form so I can plan this thing.

http://bit.ly/goondinnerTGM

(if you run into any issues with the form, let me know)

Responses: http://bit.ly/goondinnerTGMresponses

venutolo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 28, 2013

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
The reason all my responses are "probably yes" is because I don't know how busy grad school is going to make me on any of those weekends, but it should hopefully be fine.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

bah, just set it up for the 16th and we'll all come :)

I'll totally get the crab rueben, but I'd like to order from the entire menu as well.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

Reubens are my favorite sandwich and I've never had a Crab Reuben. That looks amazing. We went to brunch last month at Muir and loved it. My wife and I split one of those special bagel platters and the 4 year old had latkes.

Oh man I want this. Might have to go visit some friends in Atlanta.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey ATL goons. I want to try Haggis. Anyone know of a Scottish joint in town?

Also, main wife and I went to Red and Green Brazilian Steakhouse on saturday. The highlight of the meal was going to the Buford Highway Farmer's market. That place is cool as hell! Red and Green? Meh. It was good but not worth the cash. Spend the extra and go to Fogo. Especially now that Sal Grosso is gone :(

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Red and Green is really bad. I took one of my parents there for a nice meal and felt really embarrassed about it afterwards.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Hey ATL goons. I want to try Haggis. Anyone know of a Scottish joint in town?

Also, main wife and I went to Red and Green Brazilian Steakhouse on saturday. The highlight of the meal was going to the Buford Highway Farmer's market. That place is cool as hell! Red and Green? Meh. It was good but not worth the cash. Spend the extra and go to Fogo. Especially now that Sal Grosso is gone :(

there is no scottish place in town. special order yourself some haggis off the interwebs. I don't have any suggestions as per place, but you should be able to find something...

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

there is no scottish place in town. special order yourself some haggis off the interwebs. I don't have any suggestions as per place, but you should be able to find something...

I refuse to believe in or purchase mail order haggis.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

mindphlux posted:

There are some booths at the Stone Mountain Highland games that sell haggis. YMMV. I am unsure how on its supposed to taste/look/smell, so I can't really say if it was garbage or not. But the 'regulars' there seem to like it, so hey worth a shot I guess?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

I refuse to believe in or purchase mail order haggis.

ok, well then fly to scotland. it's a very lovely place to visit (go to the highlands, tour some distilleries) and the people are really nice and like to get drunk as poo poo. good vacation times, I need to go back soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

If you are interested in a goon dinner at The General Muir, please fill out the following form so I can plan this thing.

http://bit.ly/goondinnerTGM

(if you run into any issues with the form, let me know)

Responses: http://bit.ly/goondinnerTGMresponses

so what do you think of the responses? any dates you're leaning towards? kind of excited about a dinner with y'all, and checking out the muir. :)