Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

shymog posted:

The brand frightens me, but they're basically Denon internals? Interesting. How are they with highs and mids?

drat headphone shopping, I wish there was a giant loving headphone store that had all of these things sitting around so I could demo them.

Depends where you are, actually. In Boston/surrounding areas, this exact type of headphone store is getting big traction. I mean, you're still listening in a higher-noise environment, but comfort is a lot more important that people think right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

WugLyfe posted:

Depends where you are, actually. In Boston/surrounding areas, this exact type of headphone store is getting big traction. I mean, you're still listening in a higher-noise environment, but comfort is a lot more important that people think right away.

I didn't find anything like that while I was staying out in Seattle a few months back, but now that I'm back home in Milwaukee, WI there's probably nothing. Nothing that I see online, at least.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So my Audio Technica A900's are finally starting to break and I need something to replace them with. I think I'm going to try to glue the pieces back together but from what I'm reading it's kind of pointless for the long run.

Budget - I think I'm pretty flexible. Around 250 or so is where I top out, but if it's worth a smidgen more I don't mind paying for a step up in quality.
Source - Integrated audio headphone jack on my computer.
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over the ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I haven't had a bunch of headphones to know what kind of range to give. I guess the next bullet point explains it more.
Past Headphones - I've had Audio Technica A900s for two years now and I've really grown to love them. I've found they produce a really nice clear sound so something like this works for me.
Preferred Music - A lot of jazz, primarily solo piano style stuff, some electronic stuff (flying lotus type stuff) and gaming.

If anyone has any recommendations I'm all ears. I've heard Sennheisers are nice, but that they're more of a darker bass driven sound. Is this accurate?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

My HD580 has more bass, smoother mids and more detail than my A900 had IIRC. The A900 was more comfortable, had a much wider and deeper soundstage and more impact with the 580 sounding sedate by comparison.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

My HD580 has more bass, smoother mids and more detail than my A900 had IIRC. The A900 was more comfortable, had a much wider and deeper soundstage and more impact with the 580 sounding sedate by comparison.

That's sort of what I've heard. I sit with my headphones on A LOT so comfort is rather important.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'm not saying the 580 is uncomfortable, it's just that the A900 sets the bar pretty high.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

I'm not saying the 580 is uncomfortable, it's just that the A900 sets the bar pretty high.

The only downside is that if I plan on doing anything out of my apartment I have to wet my whole head because those little pads leave indentations in my hair.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

shymog posted:

The brand frightens me, but they're basically Denon internals? Interesting. How are they with highs and mids?

drat headphone shopping, I wish there was a giant loving headphone store that had all of these things sitting around so I could demo them.

Fostex internals. Fostex made them for Denon/Creative.

@Terra, you could get the A900x. I thought they sounded phenomenal. Very lively, they brought music to life unlike any other headphone I've ever heard. Then again it was only a quick demo for about 15 minutes.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
What would be your recommendation for portable headphones to use while running/working out? I am a fan of the original Sennheiser PX-100, but the PX-100 II does not sound nearly as good. I do not want to use IEMs.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

DoctorOfLawls posted:

What would be your recommendation for portable headphones to use while running/working out? I am a fan of the original Sennheiser PX-100, but the PX-100 II does not sound nearly as good. I do not want to use IEMs.

These sound much better than $15 phones should.
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380364772&sr=8-1&keywords=ksc-75

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I use these when I'm out running. They sound good, yet I'm still aware of the traffic / people around me. Plus they are covered under the Koss Stereophones Limited Lifetime Warranty. Have replaced both my original pair (that wore out) with just the cost of postage.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I run with those also. They work pretty well for it. I have tried some wrap around ones from Sennheiser and some other ones from Sony but they don't hold up well at all to these Koss.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I need a quick clarification: mismatched output/headphone impedance does affect volume, right? I ask that because I have a Motorola Razr D1, a smartphone that has >10 Ohms output impedance, and the earbuds I used in my iPod Touch sound really, really low when I tried them on the D1, while my brother's Urbanears Plattan (that has 60 Ohms impedance) sound significantly louder, and not just because of better sound isolation.

If I'm right, can you guys recommend any high-impedance IEMs/portable headphones that are cheap, sound decently and could be used for exercising? It's kinda silly to hit the gym with the Plattan, and it's not even a very good headphone anyway.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dias posted:

I need a quick clarification: mismatched output/headphone impedance does affect volume, right? I ask that because I have a Motorola Razr D1, a smartphone that has >10 Ohms output impedance, and the earbuds I used in my iPod Touch sound really, really low when I tried them on the D1, while my brother's Urbanears Plattan (that has 60 Ohms impedance) sound significantly louder, and not just because of better sound isolation.

If I'm right, can you guys recommend any high-impedance IEMs/portable headphones that are cheap, sound decently and could be used for exercising? It's kinda silly to hit the gym with the Plattan, and it's not even a very good headphone anyway.

The Koss KSC75 would fit your needs quite well as well.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Can anyone comment on the differences between the FiiO E07K vs E17 regarding sound quality/features?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
So I'm going to recable a couple of Grados. I have never done anything like this before though, and don't even have a soldering station. I figure a simple recable is a good intro to this kind of stuff.

I've been googling around but haven't found a good, comprehensive guide. The best I've found is this series of pictures and shopping list and some assorted Youtube videos. I think I can figure it out from this though, once I get some parts ID'd. I'm building a shopping list at Redco and have some 3.5mm connectors, 3/8" techflex, this Mogami cable, and some heatshrink so far. What I'm totally confused about is how to do the Y part. (is that just heatshrink, or something else?) I keep reading about paracord, but don't know what that is. Would I just split the cable, twist the pairs, then put heatshrink over it and wrap it in techflex? I just don't know how to handle that Y mainly. I see some cables with a more barrel-like thing there, too.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I will post tomorrow after editing, but holy gently caress. These IEMs are a must hear and my new favorite IEM that I've ever heard. They make me not feel bad about selling my Audio Technica Ad2000 and from what I've read they sound like they're baby HD650. Well loving done TDK these are going in the buying guide, the first new addition in over 6 months mind you. These would have a spot on my hall of fame wall if I had one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I will post tomorrow after editing, but holy gently caress. These IEMs are a must hear and my new favorite IEM that I've ever heard. They make me not feel bad about selling my Audio Technica Ad2000 and from what I've read they sound like they're baby HD650. Well loving done TDK these are going in the buying guide, the first new addition in over 6 months mind you. These would have a spot on my hall of fame wall if I had one.

See? And I was just coming to see what IEMs in the $100 range I should spring for.

tynam
May 14, 2007

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Can anyone comment on the differences between the FiiO E07K vs E17 regarding sound quality/features?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643547/fiio-andes-e07k-vs-fiio-e17-whats-the-difference-and-how-does-it-sway-the-amateur-audiophile

Basically same DAC, E17 has a slightly better amp and extra digital input options. Unless you've got headphones that are difficult to drive, go with the E07K and save yourself 50 bux.

Or if your source is your phone, consider waiting for the Fiio E18 which should be out next month. It was designed specifically for smart phones, but works like any other DAC+amp, has an improved DAC+amp than the E17 and should cost around 150 - around the price of a new E17. Comes with an OTG cable. Also looks pretty cool.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Can I get a recommendation for a good 5.1 headset that'll work with a Xbox 360 as well as a PC? I have to apologize right off the bat if this has been addressed earlier in the thread, I'm out of town and my internet connection absolutely blows so I've only been able to browse a couple of pages.

I've seen the Tritton Pro+ headset recommended a few places, but have also read that they're a pain in the rear end to use with a PC.

Budget - Pretty open. I'd prefer it to be under $200, but I use headsets for years, so I'm fine with spending a bit more. I prefer quality over price.
Source - Xbox 360, maybe my PS3 and my PC. I'm thinking USB might be preferable, but have no idea really.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is unnecessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Headphones will be used mostly for gaming and listening to music.
Past Headphones - My last headset is a Creative Fatality deal which is fine, but lacks surround. Also it felt cheaply constructed, but that's not a huge deal. I've also had a few Bose sets gifted to me which have been a-okay as far as I'm concerned.
Preferred Music - Rock, electronic and classical mostly.

Thanks much in advance, goons.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Bought and still getting to know the V-Moda M80s. First impressions are mostly positive: sound great (a nice upgrade from my portapros) quite classy looking, cable/case are nice. But they squish the ever living poo poo out of my glasses and are hard to wear for longer than 45 minutes or so. I'm experimenting with bending gently and different positioning, but does anyone have any advice?

Maybe I'll spring for those ^^^^ ~$100 IEMs, too. And some circumaurals for recording/mixing. The bug, I have it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

How much did you spend on them? Radioshacks around the US were selling them for $40, probably still are.

Edit: Turns out I don't have the balls to sell my Ad2000. Who knew?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 1, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Actually as a follow up to my last post... are 5.1/7.1 headphones even worth buying? Now I'm finding reviews that are saying surround sound headphones are more or less worthless as there's not enough space for the acoustics to make any difference.

If this is totally the wrong thread for this type of headset I apologize.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kedo posted:

Actually as a follow up to my last post... are 5.1/7.1 headphones even worth buying? Now I'm finding reviews that are saying surround sound headphones are more or less worthless as there's not enough space for the acoustics to make any difference.

If this is totally the wrong thread for this type of headset I apologize.

From what I understand there are soundcards that emulate it well with Dolby technology, not sure about headphones with it built in though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
There's a disc from Stax floating around meant to demonstrate how a detailed stereo headphone can reproduce "head-related transfer functions" so your brain places sounds in 3 dimensions. It's pretty cool; you end up feeling like your in the middle of a room full of Germans, able to pinpoint exactly where each one is standing. Sometimes I get the same feeling from really good binaural bootlegs.

But yea, 3D sounds can be reproduced with two channel headphones, and is sometimes done very well. There's software to mimic HRTFs, but not being a gamer, I've got no idea how well it's implemented.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

eddiewalker posted:

There's a disc from Stax floating around meant to demonstrate how a detailed stereo headphone can reproduce "head-related transfer functions" so your brain places sounds in 3 dimensions. It's pretty cool; you end up feeling like your in the middle of a room full of Germans, able to pinpoint exactly where each one is standing. Sometimes I get the same feeling from really good binaural bootlegs.

But yea, 3D sounds can be reproduced with two channel headphones, and is sometimes done very well. There's software to mimic HRTFs, but not being a gamer, I've got no idea how well it's implemented.

You just made me bring up memories of my Aureal Vortex 2 which made me really sad. A3D 2.0 was amazing in gaming and I still haven't heard anything that comes close.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Dolby Headphone - at least as implemented on my (aging) Xonar D2X - really is quite good; coupled with the Senns 595 it created a noticeable and very cool out-of-head experience. I only stopped using it when I got better cans with a larger soundstage.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Midorka posted:

How much did you spend on them? Radioshacks around the US were selling them for $40, probably still are.

Edit: Turns out I don't have the balls to sell my Ad2000. Who knew?

Way too much, apparently. I didn't read about the radio shack deal until I already had them, but it doesn't work online and there's allegedly none in my area anyway. $40 would be the steal of the century, but for what I paid I was hoping for a little more comfort. My head isn't very big, but it's these glasses. If I were to send them back, is there a recommendation for another deal/that price range (<$200)?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hmmm, well maybe I should continue looking into some surround headsets in that case!

How do people feel about Turtle Beach? Again, reading random reviews on Amazon and other sites, I see the DPX 21 getting recommended pretty often. I'm guessing I'll also need to grab some sort of sound card for my PC... which starts to get expensive when coupled with a ~$150 headset.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

How good is the isolation on these? I have a friend looking for some for long plane rides to drown out the engine noise.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Way too much, apparently. I didn't read about the radio shack deal until I already had them, but it doesn't work online and there's allegedly none in my area anyway. $40 would be the steal of the century, but for what I paid I was hoping for a little more comfort. My head isn't very big, but it's these glasses. If I were to send them back, is there a recommendation for another deal/that price range (<$200)?

I'm assuming you want bassy leaning headphones, are you opposed to IEMS? I ask because I just finished my review of the TDK BA200 which I'm in love with.

Edit: With the double flanged tips the isolation is as good as any, a slight cut above most.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

kedo posted:

Hmmm, well maybe I should continue looking into some surround headsets in that case!

No one has responded to your question with anything about "5.1" headsets, only stereo headphones so far.

I really hate that they're calling those "5.1." Isn't there a better marketing word? The headsets clearly don't have an odd number of drivers.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'd love some recommendations for headphones. I'll be using them primarily for travelling, so I'd like to avoid unecessarily long cables.

Budget - Roughly $300.
Source - either an iPad or iPhone.
Isolation requirements - As much as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphones: Full-size, both supa-aural or circumaural are fine.
Preferred Tonal Balance: As balanced as possible.
Past Headphones: Sony MDR-V700DJs a LONG time ago. I vaguely remember them being kind of uncomfortable but I loved the sound quality.
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of hip-hop and techno.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

terre packet posted:

I'd love some recommendations for headphones. I'll be using them primarily for travelling, so I'd like to avoid unecessarily long cables.

Budget - Roughly $300.
Source - either an iPad or iPhone.
Isolation requirements - As much as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphones: Full-size, both supa-aural or circumaural are fine.
Preferred Tonal Balance: As balanced as possible.
Past Headphones: Sony MDR-V700DJs a LONG time ago. I vaguely remember them being kind of uncomfortable but I loved the sound quality.
Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of hip-hop and techno.

If you want isolation have you thought about IEMs? There are a good number of excellent IEMs at that price point.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

If you want isolation have you thought about IEMs? There are a good number of excellent IEMs at that price point.

And much easier to deal with while travelling.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I haven't, but I can change that. :) Some IEM recommendations then please!

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

tynam posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/643547/fiio-andes-e07k-vs-fiio-e17-whats-the-difference-and-how-does-it-sway-the-amateur-audiophile

Basically same DAC, E17 has a slightly better amp and extra digital input options. Unless you've got headphones that are difficult to drive, go with the E07K and save yourself 50 bux.

Or if your source is your phone, consider waiting for the Fiio E18 which should be out next month. It was designed specifically for smart phones, but works like any other DAC+amp, has an improved DAC+amp than the E17 and should cost around 150 - around the price of a new E17. Comes with an OTG cable. Also looks pretty cool.

Thank you so much for the advice, I did not know the E18 was coming out. I guess I will wait a while and check it out later on.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

terre packet posted:

Given your musical tastes, something like the Future Sonic Atrio MG7 might be right up your alley. Good isolation, awesome, deep base, clear midrange and highs. You can also use Shure Olive foam tips, which should improve the isolation and comfort even more, and still be well under your maximum price.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I really hate that they're calling those "5.1." Isn't there a better marketing word? The headsets clearly don't have an odd number of drivers.

5.1 really refers to how many channels there are, so even though there are two 'subwoofer' type drivers there is still only one channel of audio between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

terre packet posted:

The Etymotics are supposed to be very flat and have the best isolation if you can take a deep insertion. Might be a little lacking in low end, but otherwise excellent and bang on your price point.

Head-fi also has a gigantic IEM review thread with what must be getting on 300 different reviews, so that may be worth some research beyond what is worth linking here (simply too much data).

Shure products are also great, but may not be the sound signature for you. Best fit and the olive tips are absolutely the best hands down of any IEM tip I have used.

I would also have recommended Heir Audio 4.ai but since the founder left its not clear who is manning that business or what the quality is like. There are used pairs out there that are good and would be well within your price range. Heck, I'd sell you mine since, they are a great little 4 driver 'custom universal.'