Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Mycroft and Lestrade are classic Holmes story staples - I would love to see more of them. Lestrade as an addict needing his Sherlock fix so he can feel the success he had with Holmes again is an interesting way to look at the character. Certainly no story deals with what happens to Lestrade after Sherlock leaves him (watch, there is one and I just put my foot in my mouth), and I think Elementary dealt with it logically and it all fits.

Mycroft and Sherlock have a contentious relationship, but that's about all they left the same. He isn't in government, but the story doesn't take place in London so that doesn't matter. Mycroft isn't a main character of this story, he's a guest star (recurring I hope). They took the core of the Mycroft/Sherlock dynamic and made that the point, not Mycroft's connections.

No Clyde, however, so I have to give this episode a C-. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Opening at "Highgate Cemetery"? Really?
Weird to make all the effort of actually shooting in London and still gently caress it up like that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'd be really surprised if that's the last we saw of either Lestrade or Mycroft. I really like the twists they put on each character.

I think it's possible they transferred the "runs the government" angle of Mycroft and put it on Sherlock & Mycroft's father, since the father is such a mysterious figure already, but it's possible the chef thing is just Mycroft's cover, or a side-thing he has going on.

Really enjoyed the episode, though. I hope it's not the last time the show goes to London (I'd be willing to bet it's not) but I missed Gregson and Bell, too. At least they got a few seconds at the beginning.

*edit* If you also like Parks and Recreation, this tumblr post is awesome.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 27, 2013

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

ookiimarukochan posted:

Opening at "Highgate Cemetery"? Really?
Weird to make all the effort of actually shooting in London and still gently caress it up like that.

Although I did wonder which neighbour heard the gunshot, considering he lived in a manor house on a country estate.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Catzilla posted:

Although I did wonder which neighbour heard the gunshot, considering he lived in a manor house on a country estate.

With the exception of the very last scene at Paddington, I think there was a fairly significant "WTF?" for every location shot in the whole episode for anyone who knows London. That said, I'm aware that if you know London that well you're probably on the wrong continent to be in the show's target audience, and the actual story of the episode was pretty good. (My other complaint is that Sean Pertwee sounded more like his dad here than in anything else I've seen in him, specifically his dad when he was playing Spotty in SuperTed)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh man, I completely spaced and forgot this was coming back so soon. Only reason I even thought about it was that today's news sort of mentioned that Sherlock S3 doesn't start until next year.

Very glad I did, though. I loved the take on Mycroft and Lestrade. Not quite what I expected, but in a good way and hope to see more of them. And also hoping for much more Clyde. :3:

Didn't mind the issues with London not being wholly accurate, but I haven't been to London in years so I didn't notice quite as much.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I like the metaphor of blowing up Sherlock's old stuff.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Dragonatrix posted:

Didn't mind the issues with London not being wholly accurate, but I haven't been to London in years so I didn't notice quite as much.

Honestly, I'm pretty much okay with anything that doesn't automatically present London as a fog-shrouded, pseudo-Victorian hellscape.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

wormil posted:

I like the metaphor of blowing up Sherlock's old stuff.

Except the Picasso. Nothing in the world can make me believe it is okay to blow up a Picasso, no matter how much of a poophead your brother is.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I can't help but laugh at Mycrofts introductory pun. Maybe he'll buy a restaurant in New York. :3:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The only thing I didn't like was Mycroft saying "I'm Sherlock's brother" during his intro. I think everyone could've figured that out when he said "Mycroft Holmes." I did like the way his character was presented, and the interpretation of Lestrade was excellent. Watson seems to have improved her detective skills considerably between seasons. She practically solved the Ginn murder on her own.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Illuen posted:

Except the Picasso. Nothing in the world can make me believe it is okay to blow up a Picasso, no matter how much of a poophead your brother is.

I assumed the Picasso was an Irene Addler fake.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Blind Pineapple posted:

The only thing I didn't like was Mycroft saying "I'm Sherlock's brother" during his intro. I think everyone could've figured that out when he said "Mycroft Holmes."

Watson didn't know that Sherlock had a brother and last name doesn't equate to sibling. Mycroft knows nothing of Watson's deductive ability, so it is reasonable for him to introduce himself as brother.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also didn't like how Lestrade introduced himself as Lestrade to people that already knew him in the opening.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the episode was honestly kind of weak, but I have hopes it'll improve.

The nail doesn't make much sense (why not flush it, or even just wipe it off), and it'd take far longer than they think to dissolve anything like that in acetone. Acetone does dissolve plastic, but not at superhuman speed.

Also, without observing the milk, they shouldn't have known whether it was cow milk or almond/rice milk, which wouldn't have been suspicious because it would have been lactose free and vegan (drinkable by either). If they had observed the milk, they'd have smelled the acetone.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Pick posted:

I thought the episode was honestly kind of weak, but I have hopes it'll improve.

The nail doesn't make much sense (why not flush it, or even just wipe it off), and it'd take far longer than they think to dissolve anything like that in acetone. Acetone does dissolve plastic, but not at superhuman speed.

Also, without observing the milk, they shouldn't have known whether it was cow milk or almond/rice milk, which wouldn't have been suspicious because it would have been lactose free and vegan (drinkable by either). If they had observed the milk, they'd have smelled the acetone.

Yes, there could have been another explanation for the milk, but its slight suspiciousness gave Sherlock the seed he needed to figure out what happened to the gun. If they hadn't been vegan/lactose intolerant, the milk wouldn't have been remotely suspicious and he wouldn't have gotten that seed.

So it's not so much that it was a smoking gun, it was more along the lines of, it got his brain working in other directions trying to figure out the milk, and seeing the nail clicked it all into place.

As for why not flush it: Maybe that was the nail he chose to use to begin with? He took it out from behind the mask, used it in the gun, and in his haste put it back wrong. Flushing it would have left the mask on the floor, which would have been even weirder, with the cops asking why and where'd the nail go.

These are all stretches but realize that none of them actually tied the guy to the crime. None of these were provided as actual evidence. They wouldn't have put him in jail; he did that himself when he killed the handyman.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I did like that aspect. "We have a nail :geno:."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I also didn't like how Lestrade introduced himself as Lestrade to people that already knew him in the opening.

I see that as him going "don't you know who I am? I'm Lestrade! THE Lestrade." He's gotten all the acclaim and praise for the cases he solved with Holmes' help and the episode pretty well painted a picture of a man desperate to achieve more of that. He was slipping into obscurity as a has-been, and was betting it all on this case.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I really liked the scene where Sherlock and Joan see Lestrade taking all the credit. When Sherlock was describing his mix of emotions, there was something in his eyes that really displayed it. It makes me really love Miller's portrayal and acting, he seems to make sure to show characterization not just through line delivery, but through his body language and eyes.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Annakie posted:

You’ve been tending to your self defense. Well done.

Joan Watson is amazing. :allears:

Nice touch, but my immersion was broken by her using something that is downright illegal in New York state. You can look at it as a nod to singlestick though. Oh well, TV, no reason to care.

I liked Rhys Ifans as Mycroft. Would love to see more of him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sherlock has tons of things that are illegal though, and they are official police consultants.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think you can carry a baton if you get some security license. It's weird though and in the US it's way easier to legally carry a gun than a baton.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Actually it takes the same license as carrying a concealed firearm in NY. Watson just doesn't seem the type to have a CCW. Sherlock, perhaps.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

We could assume she's carrying it legally, with the proper license.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horizontal Tree posted:

Actually it takes the same license as carrying a concealed firearm in NY. Watson just doesn't seem the type to have a CCW. Sherlock, perhaps.

She's not carrying it concealed, though. It's out in the open where everyone can see it! :v:

CreepyGuy9000
Jul 9, 2013
Didn't see any need for the baton she could of just tripped him over or something comical. Overall it was a really good episode, I am however wondering who/what will be the main antagonist in this series.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I liked this episode, it was actually extraordinarily busy story-wise but didn't feel overburdened and British accents always lend a jovial air to the proceedings. As much as I do indeed love Sherlock, this show has a lot more fun with their re-imaginings of the staple Holmes characters I think. Joan Watson is amazing and the twist on Lestrade I thought was actually somewhat inspired. I got really excited to see this show back on my DVR and am glad it's back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think having it set after his London heyday was inspired. We get to see new versions of characters as per the show, but we also see how they've changed over time. Double the money!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I actually really liked the idea of seeing what happens when someone is left in Holmes' wake and Lestrade was a good way of looking at that. It stands to reason that someone who's lived off the success that Holmes brought is suddenly left hosed when he leaves.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New episode tonight!

Solve for X

When a well-respected mathematician is found dead, Holmes and Watson set out to solve a murder and the purpose of the highly guarded equation he was trying to decipher. Meanwhile, Watson is conflicted when the son of a former patient approaches her for a loan.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha nice escaping putting this show into a post P vs NP universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Haha nice escaping putting this show into a post P vs NP universe.

I hope Moriarty gets to her in prison. That could be a fun few episodes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought it was a nice, solid episode. Also math, whee!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The writers said Clyde will be making an appearance next episode. I don't think that counts as a spoiler.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I happily welcome any news about the real star of the show.

Gonna say, that I wasn't quite listening to Joan's conversation with Sherlock seriously, not when there's two cadavers in the room...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

"I'm going to take a very literal stab in the dark and say ...maths."

Very good, Sherlock!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The whole P vs NP being some magic code that opens up all digital security must have been a callback to the 'skeleton key' from the final episode of series 2 Sherlock. It will certainly come back at some point later in this season.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought they made it quite explicit that while P=NP would be huge, it still required someone (the hacker) to put it into action, and less explicit that certainly a bar's computer would be an easier job than, say, the NSA or a computer protected by a security firm.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The Elementarystan tumblr is a really good one to follow if you're on tumblr. They made a great post last night summing up all the writer's tweets about the episode.

I really enjoyed this week's case, and getting a lot more Bell this week. Getting to find out more details of why Joan quit being a doctor was amazing though. Lucy Liu killed those scenes, and I really like how Sherlock handled both the money plot and the last scene. Him asking to join her the next time she visits the grave made me tear up a little. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't exactly cover why P=NP would break security, but I guess the logic is that if a computer can verify encryption (which it has to do to read encrypted files) in a short time, which they do, then it can also solve/break that encryption in that same short time with the proper equation?

• Locked thread