Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Justin Credible posted:

Trying to play Medieval 2 and oftentimes with big battles, especially sieges, the display driver will crash. Running a GTX 660 and plenty of onboard ram, this poo poo sucks.

nvlddmkm.sys has stopped working :argh:

This driver is the bane of my entire existence. I've tried everything to fix it...thankfully it recovers most of the time and doesn't require a series of hard boots to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
That is starting to sound like a hardware problem.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Mans posted:

I'm really tempted to lower the upkeep costs of units in EB. Why they went to such lengths to force nations to have small armies confuses me. I gave the AI 500k starting denarii and the dudes started fielding somewhat impressive armies until the EB script stole all their money away (EB never allows the AI to have too much money for some bizarre reason).

As opposed to Roma Surrectum II, which throws shitloads of money at the AI so you end up drowning in enemy troops. Still, makes for some truly epic battles :black101:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

For the goons who recommended Lands To Conquer, thanks so much. I'm really loving the slowed down economy and I have to actually plan out my conquests so I don't bleed money on upkeep of my new cities. Does anyone have any solid ways of avoiding crusades? I always blitz a emissary to the Papal States and make everyone in europe an ally, but it seems like eventually I'll get crusades called anyways, some dude tries to take Antioch or Jerusalem with a bunch of pilgrims, I break the siege, and then everyone in europe immediately hates me forever. :sigh:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Had fun with the Ikko-Ikki today, until a province randomly decided to convert to me and it triggered Realm Divide :(

Now I'm playing the Hattori, but drat is it weird. Anyone got any tips?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just pulled a random tiny update for Shogun 2. Any idea what it is?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Just pulled a random tiny update for Shogun 2. Any idea what it is?

Probably the new Total War launcher for steam games.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Unnnnngh I can't handle surfing TWC any more tonight! Quick question re: Radious for Shogun 2. I started using his overhaul mod versions for RotS, regular campaign, and FotS. If I'm switching back and forth between campaigns, can I just always leave all three of those mods enabled at start-up? Or should I only load one of those mod versions at a time, and restart the game each time I switch campaigns? Or am I over-thinking it?

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Hey, real stupid question - finally getting back into PC gaming and I have both Empire and Napoleon and saw something weird on the campaign screen for Napoleon with regards to length - is Napoleon's campaigns long enough to like, fully upgrade my units? Because I'm playing the Prussia one right now and it looks like I only have 30 years or so?

edit: Also, any required mods for Napoleon I should get? I remember one for Empire that made smoke stay on the battlefield way longer, but beyond that I dunno.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
You get 12 turns per year, one for each month. So for 30 years you'd get 360 turns.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Turns in Napoleon are half-months; the full campaign is about 200 turns, like in other TW games. You can absolutely fill out the tech tree. Also, while I'm sure people will be able to recommend some mods, the game is still great without them.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Darthmod for NTW is always great, if you want to add a lot more factions to the campaign, customise the turn lengths, larger unit sizes, new sounds, better AI, basically the whole works...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always found that there were two glaring problems with Napoleon - firstly, cavalry were trash. Cannon and musketfire were more deadly to them than to any other unit type, and their unit sizes were small. Even if they made it into melee they often lost to infantry in line. Some of this makes sense historically, but the game reality was that I never bothered with them.

Secondly, infantry were basically immune to cannonballs. You could fire a cannonball into the middle of an enemy unit and twenty men would fall down, and seventeen would get back up.

Later in the game you got howitzers with exploding shells that did very nasty things to infantry, but the AI didn't really build any because tech trees and building chains are hard.

Fix those and I reckon it's solid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Muskets and bayonets will always wreck 19th century Cavalry. The days of using them as an offensive force long died in before the Napoleonic Wars.

They are perfectly fine for scouting, ambushes, attacking the flanks and rears of the enemy forces or support and or reserves. Trying to do things with one unit of cavalry won't work anymore too bring more and mix it up.

The problem with NW is that the BAI uses cav in only one way. Smash horsey men into standing men and profit.

I do agree on your opinion with the Artillery though. You do not loving get up and brush yourself down after being directly hit by a cannon ball. You lie screaming half bisected.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Once infantry get within canister shot range, everything changes :getin:

And Napoleon cavalry are pretty effective against skirmishers and militia units (neither of those get bayonets, right?). You've just got to ensure your charging line is as wide as possible for maximum kills.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What was the deal with the cannons in Empire only firing at the edge of a line? That pissed me off so much

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

What was the deal with the cannons in Empire only firing at the edge of a line? That pissed me off so much

The engine being in barely cobbled together beta is once again the answer to that, and many non BAI/art issues with Empire.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do agree on your opinion with the Artillery though. You do not loving get up and brush yourself down after being directly hit by a cannon ball. You lie screaming half bisected.
In NTW, people were only killed if they were actually hit by round shot. There was a knockdown and stagger effect applied to units close to the flight path of the enemy cannonball to simulate soldiers panicking/tripping over each other. Generally, a shot fired head-on into a formation three ranks deep will only kill up to three men.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It makes sense in writing, but it just looks clumsy and comical in game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I seem to recall cannons being deadly as hell even without killing everyone it touched...as long as you aimed manually instead of relying on the awful "swing to the side" autoaim.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

One of the worst things really about ETW/NTW artillery was picking what you thought looked like a nice decent spot for long range fire....then watching your cannon balls bounce on a tiny dirt mound that barely reached the barrels of your guns sending the roundshot flying over the heads of the approaching enemy.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gort posted:

I always found that there were two glaring problems with Napoleon - firstly, cavalry were trash. Cannon and musketfire were more deadly to them than to any other unit type, and their unit sizes were small. Even if they made it into melee they often lost to infantry in line. Some of this makes sense historically, but the game reality was that I never bothered with them.

This is not really true. Putting cavalry on a reverse slope goes miles for letting them survive, and charges are just as lethal as they were in earlier games.

Cav and light infantry are actually a really good pairing because the loose skirmishing formation allows the cavalry to charge through your own lines. Flank charges in Napoleon are really wasteful, you basically want to hit infantry directly from the front or the back.

Terrain is actually one of the most important features of Napoleon, there are lots of little tricks with it that can really change your game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah if you're playing Empire, Napoleon or FotS and you're not constantly zooming in to check line of sight over the terrain where you're maneuvering your dudes you're doing it wrong. That shoulder-high patch of ground that you don't even think about when moving archers around suddenly means half your line isn't firing when rifles and muskets get involved.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I found Empire and Napoleon cav not that useful against line infantry because the AI would always put them into square as soon as the cav got near. That said, it was great for supporting your line infantry, since they could now slaughter the infantry in square formation. And then you'd roll up the enemy line and have the cav ride everyone down,

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Square formation really did need a slightly longer set up time to be fair, it really was quite gimmicky.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Square formation really did need a slightly longer set up time to be fair, it really was quite gimmicky.

You could also do it after the calvary had already plunged through your ranks.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
I wrote this review for The Mittani dot com.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

kiresays posted:

You could also do it after the calvary had already plunged through your ranks.

Talk about closing the barn door when the horse has bolted somehow causing the horse to keel over and die anyways.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I never bought Napoleon so I'm fiddling with Empire again because nostalgia. Darthmod is a crashy mess, but Imperial Splendor and the relatively recent Minor Factions Revenge look interesting. I just can't figure out if I'm going to have to put up with Italian localization in MFR just to play with fleshed out minors.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
This is probably a cross post as I'm guessing that most of the people in this thread are also reading the Rome 2 thread, but for those who haven't heard of it, the Total War Fight Club is playing Shogun 2 tonight! It's something I started a couple weeks ago and is basically an event each weekend where a bunch of us play Total War, with the matches broadcast through my stream. Participation is not mandatory and observers are welcome. Up until now we've just played Rome 2, but tonight we're going to have some Shogun 2 battles to mix things up. So if you've been put off by Rome 2's release and want to get in some Shogun action then check it out!

We'll be starting between 5:00 and 5:15 Pacific tonight (about 45 minutes) and go for a few hours at least. Links to the stream and Steam group are below. The stream isn't live yet, it will go up shortly before 5:00.

https://www.twitch.tv/chompsgaming Stream

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwarfightclub

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

In Shogun 2, is there any way to release one of your vassals so you don't take the hit for declaring war on them? I want to clear them out of the way before Realm Divide but it doesn't seem to be readily possible.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

DerLeo posted:

In Shogun 2, is there any way to release one of your vassals so you don't take the hit for declaring war on them? I want to clear them out of the way before Realm Divide but it doesn't seem to be readily possible.

I don't think there is, I could be wrong though. I've had my Mogami 2-province vassals on my Date campaign reach something like -80 Hostile and I still couldn't clear the buggers out make the north my own. :( I'd just camp an army next to them in anticipation for the divide and immediately move on their land when you can.

Trying out a Shizmazu (the samurai guys down south, forgive my spelling if it's wrong!) quick campaign on Hard and I'm quite enjoying the run so far. Had a rough start setting up to make a move on my tough neighbors and suddenly the whole area converted to Christianity and I'm looking at -40 neighbor relations with my only neighbors. Managed to survive that and I'm now working my way towards Kyoto as a Christian clan (gunpowder vs samurai battles were too fun to pass up!). Plus having trade agreements with every non-hostile clan and early access to all but one trade node means I'll be well set up with mad cash for the realm divide.

One thing I love about the Total War series is seeing how the different clans/nations expand and fall differently. Currently 2/3 of my Japan is ruled by one of those minor non playable clans (20 provinces :stare:) and the Ikko Ikki that banded up and wiped out everyone else but the Hojo and some vassals one by one. Seeing Oda invariably get wiped out within 5 turns is still funny though :hist101:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

DerLeo posted:

Go ferment rebellion.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I am seriously the worst at Fall of the Samurai. Tactically, I can usually win every land battle I have (and almost every naval battle). But I've got something like 10 turns left and still haven't taken any of the victory provinces (although I'll be able to take one of them before the game ends) and will barely have control of the appropriate # of provinces for the Emperor.

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong though. I felt like I was consistently aggressive, although I did wait quite awhile between pushing out the shogunate provinces in my local area (I went with the Sattori) and shipping out some troops to start a push onto the main island. It also really feels like the rest of my allies (literally all of the Emperor's loyal provinces) were very defensive. They lost a couple of provinces but never really made a push to take them back. I even had to bribe one of them to go to war with one of the major Shogunate clans and they never actually contributed any troops.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It always comes down to the wire for me. I usually aim to control at least half of the island as soon as I can because there is no way it's going to let you take it easy on time. Push more with less troops if you can.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

dogstile posted:

It always comes down to the wire for me. I usually aim to control at least half of the island as soon as I can because there is no way it's going to let you take it easy on time. Push more with less troops if you can.

Hmm. Yeah, I guess I could stand to get a little more desperate. I generally push the same way I would in N:TW, lots of line infantry and a little light infantry and some cannon support. I suppose I could go for a couple of cannon units + 4-6 line infantry + cavalry. I really did very little in the way of using cavalry in a smart way, or using traditional units.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Use more traditional units. Line infantry is good, but there are so many tiny little hills that having a unit or two of katana samurai backed up by yari ashigaru is a godsend. You don't usually need cannons. As soon as the enemy get to the crest of a hill, rush your katana guys into them before they can form up and fire and use the line infantry/spearmen to keep horses off of them. Its brutally effective.

Edit: To clarify, have you guys waiting just behind the crest of the hill. That way they can be on them in an instant.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

dogstile posted:

Use more traditional units. Line infantry is good, but there are so many tiny little hills that having a unit or two of katana samurai backed up by yari ashigaru is a godsend. You don't usually need cannons. As soon as the enemy get to the crest of a hill, rush your katana guys into them before they can form up and fire and use the line infantry/spearmen to keep horses off of them. Its brutally effective.

I'll always have a unit of cannons. Usually if you move them towards the back of the deployment zone that gives them a beautiful kill zone, or you can just position them in a valley. I'm using a mod that adds more variety to the cannons, so I usually have a unit of 12 lb howitzers and light cannons. If it's an open battle they can usually do some damage while the lines close, if it's a siege they are absolutely invaluable.

After my current game I think I'll go ahead and start over and try to mix in more Traditional units. In this game I think I've only got one city that can even produce katana samurai.

Speaking of city management, I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I tried to concentrate on money producing stuff that didn't add to modernization. I also rarely grew my towns past "Large Town". Mostly due to lack of funds, because once I declared war on the main island I had to constantly maintain a large navy to protect my trade lanes, which were mostly sea routes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

I am seriously the worst at Fall of the Samurai. Tactically, I can usually win every land battle I have (and almost every naval battle). But I've got something like 10 turns left and still haven't taken any of the victory provinces (although I'll be able to take one of them before the game ends) and will barely have control of the appropriate # of provinces for the Emperor.

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong though. I felt like I was consistently aggressive, although I did wait quite awhile between pushing out the shogunate provinces in my local area (I went with the Sattori) and shipping out some troops to start a push onto the main island. It also really feels like the rest of my allies (literally all of the Emperor's loyal provinces) were very defensive. They lost a couple of provinces but never really made a push to take them back. I even had to bribe one of them to go to war with one of the major Shogunate clans and they never actually contributed any troops.

Sometimes, your going to have to prove your more loyal to the Emperor that a certain Imperial neighbor if you get my drift early in game.

Might be a different era, but Japanese Lords still like to gently caress you over for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Are you sure you only have ten turns left? I usually find that whenever I fire up FotS I get some kind of brainfart where I misread turn lengths or the game year or something and end up rushing like a maniac only to find that I've a comfortable margin of error to work in. I don't know why it always happens - I guess I keep assuming they're vanilla turns.

One thing that might help with speed is beelining critical techs, though. The one that gives you kneel fire basically makes your line infantry invincible for the first half or so of the game (and in the second half you usually have enough cannons that poo poo just stops mattering), and explosive rounds does similar things for your navies. Cannons are also vitally important, but presumably you already know that. Getting the tech that gives you foreign ironclads is also vital because just one ironclad alone with explosive shells or better can single-handedly take out any fleet that isn't another foreign ironclad - the range advantage plus the fact that explosive shells more or less one-shot non-ironclad ships is unbeatable. While it's not quite AS required, I like getting advanced AP shells eventually as well, since they combine the killing qualities of explosive shells with the range and accuracy of AP shells.

To sum up:

- Kneel fire allows you to savage almost anything short of massively overwhelming armies.

- Explosive shells make your navies ridiculously deadly.

- Foreign ironclads means that you can get by with much smaller navies (never get the British mission, all ironclads are insanely overpowered and the British only get one, albeit one that is even more insanely overpowered)

- Cannons make you effectively invincible (though I don't know how the mod affects things - in vanilla artillery can almost win battles single-handedly, though).

Personally I like to go full bore on modernization specifically so I can get those gateway techs ASAP. Having to deal with public order issues is much less important than being able to kneel fire and ignore most navies, as far as I'm concerned. I also ignore traditional units almost entirely - have enough technology, and nothing else matters. Traditional units are by no means a requirement to meet victory conditions in time.