Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Frayed Macbook charger cable update: Apple's answer was "so what, it's out of warranty, £65 for a replacement"

Really I disagree, I've never abused the cable in the slightest, it's a potential fire hazard and IMO it's nowhere near fair wear and tear under the sale of goods act. Warranty has nothing to do with it, it's my statutory rights as a consumer. Not worth the hassle of dragging them to court though and they know it..
Even if it had been under warranty, they insist upon a pre-booked appointment and then it's "at the genius's discretion" whether they'd replace it even then. Having seen also how many of those Lightning cables for the iPhone stop working after a few months with them demanding £16 for a bit of wire every time, they can shove it.

Where does this accessory greed get them - I doubt my next mobile or computing device will be Apple after this, and I'm inclined to suggest Samsungs for our next mobile refresh at work.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Putting a link to a screencast of you talking in an email ticket is not an acceptable means of communicating the work you need done. Shitlords.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

As in a vanity vlog because they cannot be bothered to type?

I can imagine many desktop reports would actually be better with a screen recording.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
More Apple poo poo that pisses me off

Every time it does this, it's 6 hours or so to recreate the backup from scratch.

I wonder if duplicity's available or something...

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah I get that every few weeks, really annoying. My wife's Macbook backs up to the same Time Capsule and has never had the issue, yet I've had it with two different laptops.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
That i today, after fiddeling with it since thursday morning, learned that the reason i can't do windows update on a freshly installed XP is because IE8 and KB2870699 wasn't installed. (Just 100% cpu for 24+ hours for the windows update service). (And that microsoft.com makes IE6 lock up for 30+ seconds)

That i had to learn how to get windows update to run on a freshly installed XP (EOL:ed software that only works there with printers and everything).

That i felt like i couldn't ask here if anyone's had problems with XP and windows update lately because i figured i would get told to do what the frog says..

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

underlig posted:

That i today, after fiddeling with it since thursday morning, learned that the reason i can't do windows update on a freshly installed XP is because IE8 and KB2870699 wasn't installed. (Just 100% cpu for 24+ hours for the windows update service). (And that microsoft.com makes IE6 lock up for 30+ seconds)

That i had to learn how to get windows update to run on a freshly installed XP (EOL:ed software that only works there with printers and everything).

That i felt like i couldn't ask here if anyone's had problems with XP and windows update lately because i figured i would get told to do what the frog says..

Please tell me you at least started with an XP SP3 install CD!

As for that last comment. Thanks, I'm now imagining this song only with the line changed to "What does the frog say".

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 29, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

I'm now imagining this song only with the line changed to "What does the frog say".

Ring ding ding dinga dinga ding ding
Doooooooooooong

Naturally!

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Ring ding ding dinga dinga ding ding
Doooooooooooong

Naturally!

Oh gently caress.

You didn't.

*downloads that song, and one of the crazy frog remixes, fires up virtual DJ*

I hate you.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Oh gently caress.

You didn't.

*downloads that song, and one of the crazy frog remixes, fires up virtual DJ*

I hate you.

Not as much as you hate yourself, I'm sure. :)

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

underlig posted:

Seems to only want to install from windows update with a manual windows update download. And WGA has to be installed and verified FIRST, before any other updates are installed and that computer cant be joined to a domain first. IE6 just cant run with the Windows Update page anymore.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Not as much as you hate yourself, I'm sure. :)

Well it turns out that the two songs don't mix as well as I thought, and it worked best when I put in less effort. So here is a quick and dirty cut I threw together in 10 minutes in Virtual DJ. Couldn't get the video to sync :(

Posting it here because it's thanks to you fucks that this even exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB05ShKnESk

Lum fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 30, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Well it turns out that the two songs don't mix as well as I thought, and it worked best when I put in less effort. So here is a quick and dirty cut I threw together in 10 minutes in Virtual DJ. Couldn't get the video to sync :(

Posting it here because it's thanks to you fucks that this even exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB05ShKnESk

Ahahahah you really did
It's... it's beautiful.....

(in a "10 deaths in Eastenders" kind of way) :D

Clearly my standards are different as I thought that was quite well mixed

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GargleBlaster posted:

Clearly my standards are different as I thought that was quite well mixed

Compared to some of my others, that one really is poorly done. Unfortunately the more effort I put into it, the worse it sounded, the two songs don't mix as well as I thought.

This post totally not a shameless plug for my mashups, erm.. gently caress printers. see!

Edit: Software poo poo actually pissing me off. Virtual DJ always spits out out of sync videos. Anyone want to try and fix this: http://www.lum.co.uk/temp/Ylvis%20vs%20Crazy%20Frog%20-%20What%20does%20the%20frog%20say.avi

Lum fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"Ok so I put together a Dell that will handle everything you need for about $540 before tax and shipping."
"Oh wow, that's great! I was expecting to have to spend $1000 at least!"
"Nope, desktops haven't been that much in a while now."
"Wow, that's great. So can we get a cheaper one?"

It's official, my mother has become every bad customer rolled into one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

Frayed Macbook charger cable update: Apple's answer was "so what, it's out of warranty, £65 for a replacement"

Really I disagree, I've never abused the cable in the slightest, it's a potential fire hazard and IMO it's nowhere near fair wear and tear under the sale of goods act. Warranty has nothing to do with it, it's my statutory rights as a consumer. Not worth the hassle of dragging them to court though and they know it..
Even if it had been under warranty, they insist upon a pre-booked appointment and then it's "at the genius's discretion" whether they'd replace it even then. Having seen also how many of those Lightning cables for the iPhone stop working after a few months with them demanding £16 for a bit of wire every time, they can shove it.

Where does this accessory greed get them - I doubt my next mobile or computing device will be Apple after this, and I'm inclined to suggest Samsungs for our next mobile refresh at work.
My office is a Mac shop for a variety of reasons. I'd be happy with Linux, but OS X is simpler overall.

A year ago my MacBook Air had a weird screen problem, where straight down the middle there was a transition. One half of the screen was darker than the other. AppleCare + Genius Bar took care of it overnight with a "business rush" on it whatever that means. I was in awe of their support.

Since, one of the last models of 17" MacBook Pros filtered down to me. Great hardware, if a bit large and heavy. But it has a kernel panic problem. Open enough programmes, and it dies.

The Apple Store has ... wasted weeks of time, and keeps insisting it's the loving RAM. There's official Apple RAM in there now, again, and the loving problem is still happening. They seem absolutely determined to not replace the motherboard for some reason. I'm really frustrated. Their communication has been utter poo poo, and I keep getting the runaround trying to deal with it. In two weeks of trying to get it fixed, I dealt with over ten employees, all telling me different stuff, most of it wrong. They also apparently LOST the RAM we gave it to them with so they were forced to just give us the official Apple stuff they were testing with.

As for phones, I recently repaired an office Samsung Note II with parts from Hong Kong ... ecstatic with how easy to service that thing was. I couldn't imagine trying to dissemble an iPhone.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

teethgrinder posted:

The Apple Store has ... wasted weeks of time, and keeps insisting it's the loving RAM. There's official Apple RAM in there now, again, and the loving problem is still happening. They seem absolutely determined to not replace the motherboard for some reason. I'm really frustrated. Their communication has been utter poo poo, and I keep getting the runaround trying to deal with it. In two weeks of trying to get it fixed, I dealt with over ten employees, all telling me different stuff, most of it wrong. They also apparently LOST the RAM we gave it to them with so they were forced to just give us the official Apple stuff they were testing with.

This is moot because it obviously wasn't your RAM but Mac's really need specific RAM to work. 999 or bust. Retinas solve this problem for you by having the RAM built into the motherboard. Dead RAM = new computer, yay!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Inspector_71 posted:

"Ok so I put together a Dell that will handle everything you need for about $540 before tax and shipping."

MOTY outta there as soon as you can, that customer sounds horrible!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SEKCobra posted:

MOTY outta there as soon as you can, that customer sounds horrible!

At least with family support you can sigh heavily and go "No. Are you being serious right now?"

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

GargleBlaster posted:

More Apple poo poo that pisses me off

Every time it does this, it's 6 hours or so to recreate the backup from scratch.

I wonder if duplicity's available or something...

I've had this same issue a few times now, I eventually found this guide on how to fix the sparsebundle though and it works for me.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

Inspector_71 posted:

At least with family support you can sigh heavily and go "No. Are you being serious right now?"

Not if you want those brownie's with the caramel and nuts in them to be sent to you on your next birthday! :greatgift:

Shadowslayer81
Sep 30, 2013
Mac products. Technically my company doesn't support mac, except when we do. Like constantly. We seem to cater to anybody who has a mac anything. So long as they are half semi important. Vpn with rdp sure, need email with activesync sure. Doesn't help that half the iT staff has a Jesus phone. Bleh.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Last Thursday I was in an all-day meeting at an off-site location. During a break I noticed I had four missed calls from one journalist, but no emails from him. Stupidly I think it may be important and give him a call.

:) I noticed you'ce called me a lot. What's up?
:saddowns: I left my son's MacBook with you a week ago. Did you fix it yet?
:) Nope. I told you I'd take a look at it if I got the time.
:saddowns: Well he's back in school now, and he need his computer!
:) As I said: Work comes first.
:saddowns: So you've had it for a week and it's still not ready!?
:) That's correct.
:saddowns: FINE! I'll just take it to a shop then.
:) Help yourself. It's on top of the cabinet right behind my desk. Right where you left it. Don't forget the charger.
and then he hung up.

Obviously it was the same guy who got pissy about the fact that we didn't give people the 64 GB iPhone 5 when it came out, but only the 16 GB version. He even got miffed enough that he took the issue to my boss, who promptly shut him down with the same message that I gave him: You're welcome to buy your own if you don't want the one we're going to give you.

Inspector_71 posted:

I do that at work. :confused:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 30, 2013

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

teethgrinder posted:

I used to imagine this was going to happen when the boomers died off ... but gently caress, my peers are just as incompetent at technology.

Plenty of our peers (and their kids) have not been taught anything about computers because people believed people would MAGICALLY adopt the skills needed by way of.. I don't know, i usually tune out at this point.

Needless to say, the same people now say my profession (Librarian) is useless because of this magic ability of kids to... and then this axe suddenly appears in my hand. The next thing that is considered useless will be elementary school and then we can reintroduce the feudal system.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

IndustrialPope posted:

Plenty of our peers (and their kids) have not been taught anything about computers because people believed people would MAGICALLY adopt the skills needed by way of.. I don't know, i usually tune out at this point.

Needless to say, the same people now say my profession (Librarian) is useless because of this magic ability of kids to... and then this axe suddenly appears in my hand. The next thing that is considered useless will be elementary school and then we can reintroduce the feudal system.

I just magically picked up the skills when I was growing up. I kind of assumed everyone else my age did as well. It took me far too long to realise this wasnt the case.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inspector_71 posted:

This is why I bought my parents a second hand Optiplex off ebay. Avoids the questions of "could it be cheaper?", every time you find a great deal. (As long as it's not one of the cursed models, they are extremely reliable!)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 30, 2013

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shadowslayer81 posted:

Mac products. Technically my company doesn't support mac, except when we do. Like constantly. We seem to cater to anybody who has a mac anything. So long as they are half semi important. Vpn with rdp sure, need email with activesync sure. Doesn't help that half the iT staff has a Jesus phone. Bleh.

Our IT policy literally says "No Macs, no exceptions!". And we constantly get people asking for one. Someone actually cried about it once!

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

This post totally not a shameless plug for my mashups, erm.. gently caress printers. see!

Clearly you need to mashup something with "gently caress" and something with "printers", is there a song anywhere with printers in the lyrics? :P

teethgrinder posted:

As for phones, I recently repaired an office Samsung Note II with parts from Hong Kong ... ecstatic with how easy to service that thing was. I couldn't imagine trying to dissemble an iPhone.

Sounds like they used to be good but things have gone downhill a bit, which correlates with my experiences. I previously became a bit of an Apple fanboy for a reason - not too many years ago they were in my opinion genuinely ahead of the game (in the early iPhone and Snow Leopard era) and very helpful if you needed anything. Then they just seem to have stagnated, mostly preferring to concentrate their resources on putting authentication chips in their cables so they can maximise profits on those, and becoming more consumer-hostile than Microsoft's XBox division (but without the back-pedalling, as they've inherited Jobs's stubbornness).

Glad to know the Note 2 is easy to repair, that's what I have. Brilliant phone, I couldn't bring myself to go back to iPhone screen sizes now, or not being able to change the keyboard or the half hearted iOS7 implementation of SBSettings etc. As much as I enjoy iOS's frameworks and Apple's tendency to force developers to use them instead of doing their own thing (a positive side to their control freak nature IMO) things are just too far behind in other ways now.
Plus I love being able to change the battery.
Samsung phones are plastic, but I like that - I'm not constantly worrying about getting marks on it that slash the resale value, and the whole back can be replaced in 10 seconds for next to nothing.

theperminator posted:

I've had this same issue a few times now, I eventually found this guide on how to fix the sparsebundle though and it works for me.

That's awesome, thanks for the pointer!

I did google it a few months ago and found that it was probably down to the open source AFP implementation not properly supporting some changes that came with Mountain Lion. Investing in a Synology for my NAS paid off for the umpteenth time as I found an update with the latest netatalk on it, but alas, it didn't help after all. Hopefully this will sort it. As dangerous and bad-practice as it is (my personal stuff, my risk), I'm tempted to just put an auto-repair on a daily cron job...

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 30, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

GargleBlaster posted:

Clearly you need to mashup something with "gently caress" and something with "printers", is there a song anywhere with printers in the lyrics? :P

This seems to fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVPpBVKaOBE

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well, only tangentially related to IT work, but definitely an IT related rant.

gently caress Virtual DJ's video encoder, gently caress it forever. It's basically impossible to make it produce an AVI that doesn't go out of sync, and it isn't even a constant drift either.

In the end I gave up and recorded the loving thing using Fraps. This still decided to eat the video after the fourth cut, but it looks good enough and I've put far too much effort into this thing already.

http://tumblr.lum.co.uk/post/62670667582/what-does-the-frog-say

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Got that XP patched up fully, the program still refused to run (kernel32.dll error which is really generic). I don't know, i'd just hoped that it was something that would be fixed by installing that special version of .net that it wanted.

Got it running in w7. There was a special order everything needed to be installed and started up but printers and everything worked.
User called me up and said that they didn't need the computer/software anymore.
:suicide:

At least i got to come home to a broken internet with a "maybe fixed by 21:00" timeline. It's ok, i didn't really want to watch that finale anyway...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
The problem with printers is that end-users don't understand how absolutely lovely the driver/print daemon ecosystem is. They think t should "just work." And yeah, it should.

I have no argument beyond that.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I too, think of headbutting my CRT when faced with a Lotus product.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

I too, think of headbutting my CRT when faced with a Lotus product.

There's something rather disturbing about that image. I don't see a man headbutting a computer, I see a headless man, or perhaps a man who has a CRT for a head. Or perhaps a computer growing a man, like some sort of fleshy appendage.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

underlig posted:

This is me in full retard mode. I should seriously know better.

Mistake number 1:

I realized that I had a PCs worth of old kit lying around so I asked my mom is she wanted another computer to replace her lovely HP that she uses for photo editing (read: cropping and emailing). This is an AMD X2 5200+ with 8 gigs of ram, a GTX 5200 PCI GPU and a DVD-burner.

Now it has a $20 wireless card to be able to print to Mom's printer.

Mistake Number 2:

Saying "Okay" when she said that my father might be using it so it needs to look like what he has now so could I put Windows XP on it?

Mistake Number 3:

Ditto with Office 2000.

So now I had to struggle with the exact same XP SP3 not doing windows updates properly until I do some manual downloading of updates to bring it up to a level where updates work.

THEN hunting down an old Office 2000 CD and installing it. Immediately uninstalling Office Assistant because holy loving poo poo. Clippy. I'd forgotten about that shitheel.

THEN realizing that I've just committed to tech support for this POS when I'd so successfully conditioned my mom to buying Dells with gargantuan superdeluxe warranty support just so I wouldn't have to do exactly what I am now doing.

Dammit Agrikk! It's like I forget, then have to go through this kind of poo poo once every five years to remind myself why I don't do IT for family. Nothing has even gone wrong yet. I just know that it will...

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

This is me in full retard mode. I should seriously know better.

Speaking of which, I've been troubleshooting (off and on, in between tickets) an issue I've had with an image I captured using MDT. It gives me a single error and 3 warnings. It's unable to copy a file from the server onto the client, then is unable to fully complete the task sequence. The error it keeps giving is that permission is denied. So, I'm thinking along the lines of the account user/pass not being on the same on the server (It is), or it somehow go locked (It isn't). Looking at it today, I realize what it is the first time I try to deploy. loving McAfee strikes again. I really should have known better. :ughh:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

gently caress daylight savings time.

The Moroccan government just decided to extend DST a month. As in, it was to end the 28th of September, and they issued a decree the 27th that it would continue until 27th of October. This is the second time this year that they've hosed with it too, since apparently DST should not apply during Ramadan.

Fortunately I'm not the poor bastard that has to spin a new tzdata RPM.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This isn't so much of a "pisses me off" as much as a "What the gently caress are you thinking?" thing. Just found a couple of step by step instructions that a Doctor made using screenshots... on a dual screen system that has dual Dell 2412m's. As you can imagine, these are goddamn huge. Each document is over 150MB and the screenshots don't fit the pages. That's not the worst part. Some of these screenshots show Patient names and Patient account numbers. If he were to print these out to give to co-workers as a How-To pamphlet, that would be a clear violation of HIPPA (I wouldn't be surprised if this document itself is a HIPPA violation).

I've since cropped & re-sized the pictures and did a bit of rewording. It now looks much more presentable and they're both under 1MB in size. Best of all, they no longer give out private patient information. I applaud the guy's effort for at least trying, but drat, that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Yay! The Time Machine fix worked!

Though it will no doubt corrupt again soon enough. Carbon Copy Cloner looks like a decent alternative, but I don't think it'll encrypt the destination unless it's a direct clone. Duplicity is available so that's always an option.

Hehe, nice efforts :D

What you say is true, the less it's worked on the better, oddly enough it seems to work better with the original version without the video IMO. Dunno why, maybe simplicity is part of its froggy charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

luminalflux posted:

gently caress daylight savings time.

The Moroccan government just decided to extend DST a month. As in, it was to end the 28th of September, and they issued a decree the 27th that it would continue until 27th of October. This is the second time this year that they've hosed with it too, since apparently DST should not apply during Ramadan.

Fortunately I'm not the poor bastard that has to spin a new tzdata RPM.

Back when Australia hosted the olympics in 2000, they extended DST for a month or so. Gave us months of warning. Microsoft released a patch specifically to adjust the times on Windows. It didnt work. Nothing worked. Our clocks were hosed for a week, even Bank ATMs shat themselves.

You cant just decide to change the clock on a whim! Time is sorta important!

Edit - Maybe it was 2006 Commonwealth games? Either way, it hosed me.