Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
People here still like Sue? (Aside from Qu Appelle, that is, I guess...) Anyone laughing at her comments toward Will is probably doing so more out of extreme Will hate than any sort of fondness to Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't care either way about Sue but any time somebody gives Will a verbal smackdown they get my full support

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Rarity posted:

I don't care either way about Sue but any time somebody gives Will a verbal smackdown they get my full support

Yup. And Sue's the best at that sport.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sue is the last remnant of what the show used to be/could have been. She was great.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I like Sue in that her interactions with other characters and her own characterization amuses me, not that she's my hero or I personally find her racist and homophobic one liners the height of hilarity. This is especially so when she sometimes provides the only humor in the episode. As someone mentioned earlier, this episode was severely lacking. I also really have always liked Figgins and I think he should get more than just a few lines every 5 episodes. Season 1 and I think 2 had the most Figgins and the funniest Figgins.

I'm surprised that there was no reaction shot of Ryder being referred to as too Gay/Asian.

Edit: ^^^What this person above me said^^^

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

xeria posted:

People here still like Sue? (Aside from Qu Appelle, that is, I guess...) Anyone laughing at her comments toward Will is probably doing so more out of extreme Will hate than any sort of fondness to Sue.

I see Sue as the villain here.

I'm also guilty of nearly missing the last season of Glee, so maybe I'm missing something here.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

You're missing not wasting 18 hours of your life.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Here, in this situation, I can see Glee setting her up as the villain (again) (probably) (maybe?), but we've had so many narrative shifts throughout the seasons where we're supposed to root for her or think that she's secretly good for the school or something that it's driven me nuts. Last season we had Sue acting so vile to students that it only makes sense that Blaine and Sam would try to hatch a scheme to get her fired...only for them (and the show) to change their mind about the fact when Sue actually gets fired and say that, nope, she should totally be back at the school. And now they're saying she totally shouldn't be back at the school? At this point, I honestly don't see much difference between her and Schuester on the grand scale of "Glee wants us to like this character for being completely terrible"; moreover, if we're gonna take Glee to task for inconsistency or lack of continuity then this character is the utter apex of their inconsistency vortex.

Just watch; you think she's supposed to be the villain so far? In four episodes tops Glee will have changed their minds and be saying that she's rightfully defending the school against bullying or something.

Coconut Indian posted:

I like Sue in that her interactions with other characters and her own characterization amuses me, not that she's my hero or I personally find her racist and homophobic one liners the height of hilarity.
See this is the part that confuses me, 'cause you're saying you find her interactions/characterization amusing but aren't her interactions and characterizations literally the exact specific things that are frequently inappropriate? I'm just not seeing the divide here, like, "Hey if we ignore all the bad things this character does, then the things she does are pretty cool after all!"

Not that I'm saying people shouldn't be allowed to like the character or anything; I defend the show so much that it'd be pretty strange for me to suggest that you can only like certain parts of the show.

except that's kinda exactly what I'm suggesting but hey :v:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Glee is completely indefensible.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

BrianWilly posted:

See this is the part that confuses me, 'cause you're saying you find her interactions/characterization amusing but aren't her interactions and characterizations literally the exact specific things that are frequently inappropriate? I'm just not seeing the divide here, like, "Hey if we ignore all the bad things this character does, then the things she does are pretty cool after all!"

Not that I'm saying people shouldn't be allowed to like the character or anything; I defend the show so much that it'd be pretty strange for me to suggest that you can only like certain parts of the show.

except that's kinda exactly what I'm suggesting but hey :v:

I was going to write up a post clarifying my position, but then I realized that I honestly, truly, don't even know how I feel about this show.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Sue is just one of those people. She's a force of nature-- you know you're never going to be rid of her, and you know deep down she is never going to change. Your only hope is to maneuver her into a position where she is beneficial-- or at least less harmful-- to you and yours, which is basically what happened here.

Besides, I like Sue because she's offensive. There is an element of unpredictability inherent to her brand of evil. Most of the time I laugh at her, it's out of shock at least as much as genuine amusement.

Swedgin
Aug 22, 2006

by exmarx
At this point, Jane Lynch is at least 90% of the reason why I have any positive feelings left about Sue. The writing for her character is pretty terrible at this point, and they haven't known what the hell to do with her since season two, but Lynch manages to make me laugh every once in a while despite the awful dialogue.

I'm mostly just sad that someone that talented is stuck on this show.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Swedgin posted:

I'm mostly just sad that someone that talented is stuck on this show.

This is what we say about all the cast!

mcknitknot
Sep 3, 2013

Ask me how Chick-fil-A is a
four star restaurant
:getin:
Oh how I love Sue! She is the main reason I watch this show. I really hope they bring out full on villain Sue! :allears:
She's at her best when she's at her worst. I find her reprehensible and just wrong wrong WRONG. It's so fun to watch. She's Archie Bunker and Cruella DeVille's love child!

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I do like Nene Leakes as Coach Roz. They seem to use her in just the right amount.

Rachel you're so thin. :ohdear:

I kind of wish they had taken some creative license with the songs rather than sounding like karaoke, but then again if they'd taken creative license I'd probably be complaining about that too. I can't be satisfied.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I liked the episode overall. Actually, I liked what I saw a lot (skipped the NY scenes, as per my normal solowatch traditions at this point).

In the meantime, I meant to post this a while ago, but here you all go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LOADC03Cw
Anyone brave enough to watch it?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Senerio posted:

Nope. :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Don't blame you. I've known this existed basically since it was posted and am just watching it for the first time right now.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

Senerio posted:

In the meantime, I meant to post this a while ago, but here you all go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LOADC03Cw

I've never been a fan of Cory Monteith's voice, but his rendition of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is poignant and very well done. Thanks for sharing.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Arclight posted:

I've never been a fan of Cory Monteith's voice, but his rendition of "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" is poignant and very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Oh no you didn't

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Arclight posted:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the worst song Glee ever did :colbert:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I like Sue, I actually see her as a rather complex character. She's the antagonist of the show for sure, but I also think she's got a good heart. I think she uses offensive comments and her forceful personality as a shield for it. Meeting her mother (was it last season?) and knowing her sister I can see how she became who she is. She had to be the strong one, had to protect her sister from her mother while also battling the issues her mom tried to bring down on her as well. She pushes people away and uses her dark humor/comments to keep people from getting too close. And I'm also just plain a fan of her sarcastic, dark humor. Jane Lynch can deliver those lines like no one else could.

I'd go into more detail but thinking about this show too much will give me a migraine so I'm going to leave it at that.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I didn't stop laughing until the end of the show after Blaine said "As anyone who knows me, I'm not one to take a strangers hand." But you will gently caress a dude you just met. Everything about this entire plot is so completely out of whack.

Also how can you not like Sue? She worked so hard to get that baby that's just disappeared.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

Then how did it lose the worsties to More than a Woman? :smug:

Also, after listening to this, I can confirm his best song is I've Gotta Be Me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Will Schuester used to be complex and understandable and had a good heart too...just sayin'~

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on the reunion of my true OTP: Kurt/Agency! :toot:

Kurt did stuff! He talked about his POV! He teased Blaine for shits and giggles! He summoned a marching band! He knew about his 'surprise proposal' way in advance, because Blaine is about as subtle as a party bus full of drunk hyenas! That's the Kurt I love, the Kurt I remember.

Even Rachel was acting more Rachel this episode. She was just pushy and overbearing and ever-so-slightly inappropriate enough to portray a girl who has learned to dial herself back but is still, at heart, absolutely 100% positive that she is the best thing that will ever happen to showbusiness and people need to see that. :colbert: I love that Rachel. I missed that Rachel. :allears:

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

Rarity posted:

Worse than "Gangnam Style"? Or the entire Rocky Horror episode? Or when they blatantly ripped off Jonathan Coulton's arrangement of "Baby Got Back"?

Arclight fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 28, 2013

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I had no problems with Rachel in this episode. She's not really being special-snowflake'd at all; if anything, we're returning to the early season 3 aesthetic where she has to prove her value in a world where talented people are spilling out of every themed diner. And again, it's not like she was stalking the director after he already told her "no" like she did with Whoopi; she's already one of the top contenders for the part, the director simply hasn't made up his mind yet, and she's trying to cement her position.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I always go into the episodes blind - no song/plot spoilers if I can help it - but I knew the 1st 2 episodes were Beatles specials and the 3rd is the Cory tribute. The Beatles are my favorite band of all time, so I was prepared to cringe at a few of the songs, since it's Glee.

They actually weren't terrible. Help was a lot of fun, All You Need Is Love was so adorable, and I Saw Her Standing There was a great flashback piece.

Of course, since it's Glee I had a few issues - Tina needs to be saved because she is lonely/doesn't have a man in her life being one of them. But over all, not as bad as is could have been. Also, Mike dumped her because she's not Asian enough? I thought it was because of distance? Then again, Glee doesn't do continuity well. Or at all.

But lets look at some of the positives because honestly Glee doesn't have them that often:

* Rachel doesn't stalk directors for roles. She's bummed, but takes it in stride and shows off her talent when the opportunity comes.

* Kurt actually has a say in the relationship. He tells Blaine about his reservations. He has a serious talk about the "surprise proposal" with his dad.

* "...and black John Lennon." "Half-black."

* Ryder's background reactions (which will probably be said every week)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Miniature Moose posted:

Also, Mike dumped her because she's not Asian enough? I thought it was because of distance? Then again, Glee doesn't do continuity well. Or at all.

It was Blaine and Sam who said that. Not necessarily true.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Alright so I FINALLY got around to watching this episode (what a bad OP-maker I am, not being around for live-watches or catching up swiftly) and I have many things to say:

First, I loving hate the Beatles. Shamelessly hate em. So I skipped like half the songs in this episode because ugh, god, gently caress the Beatles. I can acknowledge their contribution to music as a whole and if you like em, fine, but I couldn't listen to most of that.

Second, I got the very powerful impression that everything in this episode (and probably the next episode) was so loving saccharine and happy because episode #3 is going to be gutwrenchingly tragic. If I had to guess, I'd say that if Cory hadn't died, this proposal would have gone a lot differently, with more people being against it or Kurt not accepting it, but they're trying to build up at least a little bit of happiness before it all comes crashing down. Finn not getting a single mention was a bit odd, not even to set up something that might kill him, but I can forgive it.

Third, Rachel are you loving serious? You're upset that at age 18, in your first year of college, you didn't get a leading role in a Broadway performance? I spent the entire episode wanting to throttle her for the sheer blinding arrogance of it all.

Fourth, Blaine, Sam, Jake, and Ryder are the four dumbest boys to ever exist and they need to hang out and have more stupid scenes together because that poo poo was cute.

Fifth, while it was very poorly planned, I've actually been expecting Kitty/Artie since all the way back at them doing Spice Girls when Artie made that comment about her. They kind of dropped it and only just picked it up but it was cute. I don't like Kitty as a character but I do like her voice and Kevin McHale is hands down my favorite singer on the cast so hey, more cute duets. Just pick less lovely songs next time.

Sixth, Vocal Adrenaline and the Haverbrook choir? Really? Really? The Warblers made sense - Kurt and Blaine are both ex-Warblers. What loving connection do they have to VA and Haverbrook other than a history of rivalry?

Anyway, not actually a bad episode. Kurt had actual agency and I loved his conversation with Burt, as well as his first conversation with Blaine about getting back together. The proposal itself was way over the top but let's be real here, Kurt and Blaine are both really over the top people.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Senerio posted:

It was Blaine and Sam who said that. Not necessarily true.

To be fair, it was a thing they fought about as a couple. Why does it have to Asian Couples Therapy?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What I want to know is whether Ryder was too gay, Asian, or both. Also why Sam felt compelled to pick at Ryder's sleeve while Blaine was talking. And why Ryder smacked his hand aside like he's done it before, like that's a thing between them. :raise:

Speaking of Sam; Ryan Murphy knows what fandom wants. Or what I want, anyway. :sweatdrop:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

Third, Rachel are you loving serious? You're upset that at age 18, in your first year of college, you didn't get a leading role in a Broadway performance? I spent the entire episode wanting to throttle her for the sheer blinding arrogance of it all.
Well, she wouldn't very well be Rachel otherwise, would she?

Plus she's probably 19 now. Totally different!

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Well, she wouldn't very well be Rachel otherwise, would she?

Plus she's probably 19 now. Totally different!

Pretty sure she's still 18. There's some weird canon with her birthdate that would put her as turning 19 in December 2013, I think?

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
That episode was reassuringly bad, I may actually be over this show enough to give it up after the Cory tribute.

The writing of the adults grated on me more than anything in the proposal plot. Teens thinking their love is the greatest ever and their friends getting just as excited is perfectly believable, but what the hell was that with Burt. Before Quinn had her accident he, Carole, and Rachel's parents were about to physically drag Rachel into a car and drive her to New York to stop the wedding. I know, I know, "glee consistency lol" but you'd think when they do a second high school proposal plot they'd make the characters behave ever so slightly similar to how they did in the first. And of course Will jumped in with the whole thing but Will Is Terrible so who cares.

And why was Tina branded a bitter lonely hag as a result of her sticking up for Artie? Kitty's excuse of wanting to be sure before going public didn't really detract from the core point that she was hiding Artie for the sake of her rep.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
By the end of Season 3, the cast had basically given up on the whole "Rachel should not be getting married" thing and by the time Blaine came around, Burt was just annoyed at how persistent these kids were.

Also, Blaine didn't just mean the one thing, which did seem more aimed at breaking up Artie and Kitty than at actually helping them, but the past season. She didn't nigh-unanimously earn "Most Ruined Character of Season 4" for nothing.

Also, yes, deliberately cheesy to distract from the looming monster that is episode 3.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Okay, people, seriously-- regardless of age, there is a massive, massive difference between

:supaburn: Oh god oh god I don't know what I'm doing with my life please marry me

and

:wotwot: Our personalities and life goals are incredibly compatible, shall we pursue them together (and also monogamously gently caress)?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spergatory posted:

Okay, people, seriously-- regardless of age, there is a massive, massive difference between

:supaburn: Oh god oh god I don't know what I'm doing with my life please marry me

and

:wotwot: Our personalities and life goals are incredibly compatible, shall we pursue them together (and also monogamously gently caress)?

Sure, and Blaine started this proposal pursuit while they weren't actually together and Kurt was casually seeing someone else. And one of them is also still in high school and the other hasn't been graduated for even a year. Even though Finn obviously proposed and Rachel accepted because they were both terrified of their futures, both together and apart, the reasons why all their parents (and Kurt and Quinn) all thought it stupid and generally opposed it still hold true for Kurt and Blaine.

They're kids, they've never even so much as lived together before (let alone spent multiple nights together at one or the other's house, most likely), and it took all of three weeks of Kurt trying to get his life together in NYC for Blaine to cheat.

The likelihood, I'd guess, is that they'll probably hold off the actual wedding until the series finale (instead of pulling a rush job like Finn and Rachel did). But I think that proposal storyline probably plays out at least a little differently if Cory hadn't died and Finn was around to where the writers felt they could probably safely reference That Other Teen Marriage Storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
http://nesn.com/2013/09/naya-rivera-gleefully-celebrates-brother-mychal-riveras-first-career-touchdown-gif/

• Locked thread