Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

dotster posted:

Has anyone taken a VMware class live online or virtual? I am looking at taking the 5.1 Fast Track class and trying to figure out if I need to travel.

All of the labs you are doing will be in the virtual lab environment back at vmware educations site. I just took this two weeks ago, live interaction was good for clarification of points, but this could be accomplished if the instructor knows how to use the online tools well. I've taken other courses where we used webex or citrix online and they worked perfectly without a hitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Cool, thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to do this rather than travel.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I love virtual training, and hate physical training.

I pay so much better attention virtually and participation seems to increase by everyone in a chat setting instead of having to raise your hand and interrupt course flow.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Does the new CCNA not test Access Lists? According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/docs/icnd_examUpdates.pdf

...the topics "Securing the network/securing the expanded network" have been removed from the exams, and no mention is made of access-lists on the exam topics.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

three posted:

I love virtual training, and hate physical training.

I pay so much better attention virtually and participation seems to increase by everyone in a chat setting instead of having to raise your hand and interrupt course flow.

I like talking with other people who are using the stuff in production during breaks and lunch. Other than that I don't have an issue with virtual training.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

jane came by posted:

Does the new CCNA not test Access Lists? According to this:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/exams/docs/icnd_examUpdates.pdf

...the topics "Securing the network/securing the expanded network" have been removed from the exams, and no mention is made of access-lists on the exam topics.

Higher on the document you linked, "Managing Traffic Using ACLs" was added to ICND1.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Who knows about VLANs? THIS GUY. Was working some various packet tracers and could not for the life of me get the final points on the latter part of a few exercises. For some reason, by brain turned to mush on assigning the native VLAN to the trunking ports. Its so loving simple. You set your access ports to switchport mode access, set your trunking ports to switchport mode trunk, assign the interfaces to their various vlans on the access side, do the same for interfaces that will be trunks, but on the trunking port in addition to the allowed VLAN list you specify the native vlan for that trunk port/interface. Argh, it is so simple now, why / how did I just overshoot/see that part of it? I am able to put hair back into those bald spots now!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Finishing the CCNA has left a gap in my evenings that I'd like to fill with more cert revision.

How intense are the other CCNAs (say, Security or Wireless) compared to Switching and Routing? It took me about 3 months to go from start to finish on R+S, but the course texts on these other CCNAs are like half the size. Is getting Wireless done in two months realistic?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Anyone know of any good sources for non classroom Juniper training material similar to what IP Expert or INE has for Cisco?

Thus far I've found:

http://www.bowlercbtlabs.com/products/juniper-lab-cbt-video-series-1
https://networkfaculty.com/en/courses
https://www.proteus.net/books/jncie-sp-preparation-workbook
http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/juniper

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/jnbooks/oreilly-juniper-library/

Most of those relate directly to a certification in one way or another.

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

I watched three "Engineers" from our Operations Group spend over three hours trying configure a Juniper router and switch for an install I am on today. Guess it's time to go back to learning Juniper. If a combined 40 years of Cisco experience can't even factory reset a router let alone dump a boilerplate config in it, ouch.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tasty Wheat posted:

I watched three "Engineers" from our Operations Group spend over three hours trying configure a Juniper router and switch for an install I am on today. Guess it's time to go back to learning Juniper. If a combined 40 years of Cisco experience can't even factory reset a router let alone dump a boilerplate config in it, ouch.

Wow. I understand that working in the CLI is different than Cisco, but please go smack all of them in the head with a ball peen hammer.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've got 15 years Cisco experience, and thus far Junos makes my head hurt. It seems like Juniper went out of their way to break all conventions established by Cisco just so they could have their own identity as Not Cisco.

For instance, in Junos the configuration commands are different than how the config is displayed. You can't copy/paste show config into another device as config changes like you can on Cisco. You either have to change the way the config is displayed, or change the way config commands are accepted.

config command vs show config
code:
root@r1# set interfaces lo0 unit 0 description this-is-a-loopback 

[edit]
root@r1# show interfaces lo0 
unit 0 {
    description this-is-a-loopback;
    family inet {
        address 100.100.100.100/32;
    }
}

[edit]
root@r1# 
alter show output
code:
root@r1# show | display set | match description 
set interfaces lo0 unit 0 description this-is-a-loopback

[edit]
root@r1#
alter command input
code:
root@r2# load merge terminal 
[Type ^D at a new line to end input]
interfaces {
    lo0 {
        unit 0 {
            description this-is-a-loopback;
               }
    }                                   
}
load complete

[edit]
root@r2#
It takes diseased minds to fiddle around with such fundamental functions.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't complain if I had to use JunOS. At least with JunOS and Vyatta, your commands aren't immediately applied, so you're less likely to lock yourself out of the router.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Yeah, there are some nice features in JunOS like commit confirm. However it also contains dumb things like having to configure my own BGP AS number someplace outside the BGP config hierarchy for no clear reason.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

inignot posted:

I've got 15 years Cisco experience, and thus far Junos makes my head hurt. It seems like Juniper went out of their way to break all conventions established by Cisco

Why does the way Cisco does things have to be the only way?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
I used to work for Ericsson datacom a long time ago, and the division I worked for made routers that the designers went out of their way to make their configuration super accessible and simple, and it was so, so nice.

AXC line of routers if anyone can remember that junk. I'm not sure we actually sold any so ah, yeah. That division doesn't exist anymore.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

routenull0 posted:

Why does the way Cisco does things have to be the only way?

It doesn't, but I think it's fair to say that the way Cisco does things is well known. Because of that, it's sensible to do things their way, unless there's a reason to do them a different way.

Basically, the way everybody knows is a very reasonable default. Straying from that just for the sake of being Not Cisco just forces people to learn more poo poo for no clear reason.

Cisco does plenty of stuff poorly, and those are things JunOS should strive to differentiate itself with.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Comradephate posted:

It doesn't, but I think it's fair to say that the way Cisco does things is well known. Because of that, it's sensible to do things their way, unless there's a reason to do them a different way.

Basically, the way everybody knows is a very reasonable default. Straying from that just for the sake of being Not Cisco just forces people to learn more poo poo for no clear reason.

Cisco does plenty of stuff poorly, and those are things JunOS should strive to differentiate itself with.

Cisco is also bad enough for a user interface rather than an engineering interface, JunOS pushes even further into what I would call an engineering interface. They do some of it for very good reasons, like a better interface for GUI control of the device, but since I still have to get on the CLI and not spend 99% of my time on a nice clean GUI it can be tedious to work with.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Passed CCNA R&S today and I'm just glad I'm done with the material and can move on to something else. I've been over Odom's book twice and I was getting sick of It. It was a hard test but not as hard as any of the practice tests I've taken.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
So, I've got an upcoming lab which is remote-monitored, and one of the requirements is a webcam that views your entire desk working area (to prevent taking notes on questions, etc away with you). Their client of choice is not compatible with any of our teleconferencing equipment at work, so I need to buy my own consumer-grade one to set up at home. My last experience with webcams was circa 2001 and holy poo poo were they giant piles of garbage back then. Any suggestions for a good, relatively cheap one with minimal software BS?

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

Comradephate posted:

It doesn't, but I think it's fair to say that the way Cisco does things is well known.

Except that Cisco isn't even consistent with itself. Just compare IOS with IOS XR, ASA or NXOS. Show interface ip brief vs. Show ip interface brief?
Or within IOS itself:
Ip hello-interval eigrp and ip ospf hello-interval.
I know some of these are for legacy reasons, but I much prefer the hierarchical CLI of junos or ios xr. The added length of the commands are a small price to pay. And I love that junos uses parentheses.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Jelmylicious posted:

Except that Cisco isn't even consistent with itself. Just compare IOS with IOS XR, ASA or NXOS. Show interface ip brief vs. Show ip interface brief?
Or within IOS itself:
Ip hello-interval eigrp and ip ospf hello-interval.
I know some of these are for legacy reasons, but I much prefer the hierarchical CLI of junos or ios xr. The added length of the commands are a small price to pay. And I love that junos uses parentheses.

IOS to XR etc basically shows that IOS was showing its age and definitely took hints from junOS. I'm getting more comfortable with XR but I sure as hell miss the show | compare and commit check commands in junOS. It was a great way to make sure I didnt gently caress over anything in my config changes. Also display set beats the hell out of show run formal. What to know a hosed up router/switch OS? Try Alcatel Timos. Working with the GUI is better than working on the cmd line.

My ROUTE expires at the end of the year I think so I really need to get SWITCH done in the next two months but :effort:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
As long as you can script big config changes easily, who cares what the CLI is like. This is why I still like the PIX/ASA way of formatting ACL's - I have all the information right there! gently caress address-books, just give me the ruleset.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I've looked at the training manual for the JNCIA (Juniper's entry-level networking cert). You could make a drinking game out of how many times they use the phrase "other vendors" when comparing their features to Cisco's. :v: I'll probably go for that cert after I finish the CCNP.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

PurpleButterfly posted:

I've looked at the training manual for the JNCIA (Juniper's entry-level networking cert). You could make a drinking game out of how many times they use the phrase "other vendors" when comparing their features to Cisco's. :v: I'll probably go for that cert after I finish the CCNP.

I'm almost done studying for ROUTE, but I might do the JNCIA just as a change of pace from studying Cisco stuff straight for the last... 4 months?

That or the CCDA. Just a quick one-test thing that I can do as a pallet cleanser.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!

keseph posted:

So, I've got an upcoming lab which is remote-monitored, and one of the requirements is a webcam that views your entire desk working area (to prevent taking notes on questions, etc away with you). Their client of choice is not compatible with any of our teleconferencing equipment at work, so I need to buy my own consumer-grade one to set up at home. My last experience with webcams was circa 2001 and holy poo poo were they giant piles of garbage back then. Any suggestions for a good, relatively cheap one with minimal software BS?

I'm in this same boat with WGU. The one they sent me is garbage, so I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Portable-Calling-Autofocus/dp/B004WO8HQ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380285763&sr=8-3&keywords=webcam -- It is a decent camera in which you don't even have to install the software package.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
On a scale of 1 to 10, how much IPv6 appears on the CCENT (ccna 101) exam? I've got 100 pages left in this book dedicated to IPv6 and I don't know if I should read it to a good understanding, or practice it to the point of real world application. It could be the difference between weeks of studying.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Judge Schnoopy posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much IPv6 appears on the CCENT (ccna 101) exam? I've got 100 pages left in this book dedicated to IPv6 and I don't know if I should read it to a good understanding, or practice it to the point of real world application. It could be the difference between weeks of studying.

You should learn IPv6 because IPv6 rules

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Crunchtime posted:

I'm in this same boat with WGU. The one they sent me is garbage, so I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-Portable-Calling-Autofocus/dp/B004WO8HQ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380285763&sr=8-3&keywords=webcam -- It is a decent camera in which you don't even have to install the software package.

Thanks! There're some local stores that have one too, so it looks like I know what I'll be doing tonight. Now comes the question of whether my ethics are strong enough to prevent me abusing their returns policy...

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
If its a chain store (walmart/bestbuy/etc,) then nope!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Hey IT Directors and VPs:

How much do you care about ITIL certifications?

Background:

My last gig was Senior Manager of IT Operations and during that stint I got my MBA. My ultimate career goal is to be CTO of a small/medium company with a strong tech component, but that's a ways down the line. I've been in IT for twenty years now as a tech generalist and my 90-second elevator pitch I say "give me a budget and I can build you a highly-available production-ready environment and hire a team to run it. From provisioning bandwith, configuring the firewalls and routers to setting up storage/virtualization for tiered corporate/development/QA/production environments, I've got it covered."

My current gig is as a Principal Consultant for a contracting firm and I'm looking for the next step up.

My question about ITIL comes because, while I have plenty of experience with systems lifecycles, capacity and availability planning and the rest, it's hard to see that unless you talk to me during a face to face.

I'm thinking that an ITIL cert might codify these more nebulous skills into a searchable thing on my LinkedIn profile and on my resume.

What are your opinions on ITIL? Is it a crock of poo poo?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Who else is taking the Stanly.edu VCP5 course? Are you also only seeing the 7th quiz as the last one available? We're getting kind of near the end of the class and only half of the material has been "quizzed"? :confused:

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Is anyone else having issues with signing up for tests? Of the 10 testing centers in my area ALL of them are completely booked out for Cisco Tests until December. I've got a test slated at a location that is literally an hour from my house now for a test that is going to likely take me about 45 minutes to pump out. *sigh*

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

workape posted:

Is anyone else having issues with signing up for tests? Of the 10 testing centers in my area ALL of them are completely booked out for Cisco Tests until December. I've got a test slated at a location that is literally an hour from my house now for a test that is going to likely take me about 45 minutes to pump out. *sigh*

I ran into this with the Comptia N+ test. After calling the test centers, I realized that some locations only have one or three test days per year. The website shows this as the test being booked or not available until a certain month, then not until a certain day in that month.

I eventually found a generic state education testing center 45 minutes away that offered daily tests in the morning. The lady that checked me in had no idea what CompTia was, I think most of their tests are teacher certifications or school placement based on the other people I saw there.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Anyone have the easy skinny on Cisco ACLs? My brain has shut the gently caress down and I am not making any sense of it in regards to how a wild card address interacts with an ip for a given situation. Finding the inverse mask or wildcard is easy. Applying it is causing my brain to GPF.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have the easy skinny on Cisco ACLs? My brain has shut the gently caress down and I am not making any sense of it in regards to how a wild card address interacts with an ip for a given situation. Finding the inverse mask or wildcard is easy. Applying it is causing my brain to GPF.

It helps to remember that the IPs are binary. 0 means match, 1 means don't care.

1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 1111 implicitly matches everything. You can use the keyword any instead. No matter what the IP address is, this rule is going to say "Yup, that totally matches, go ahead."

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 explicitly matches one host. You can use the keyword host instead. This rule will compare every bit of the IP against the rule and if a single bit is off, it'll reject.

Say you want to set up an allow rule for all traffic from 192.168.0.0.

1100 0000 1010 1000 0000 0000 0000 0000 - network
0000 0000 0000 0000 1111 1111 1111 1111 - match

access-list 101 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any. Remember that if this was our only rule in access-list 101, everything else would fall through to the default deny.

Say we get an http request from IP 192.168.0.5:

1100 0000 1010 1000 0000 0000 0000 0000

We can disregard the final 16 bits, because they're going to match.

1100 0000 1010 1000: network
1100 0000 1010 1000: match
0000 0000 0000 0000: XOR

you'd compare the first 16 bits and see that they match, so it'd hit on that rule and the request would be allowed through that interface.

If the traffic had come from, say, 255.255.0.0 (screw you, I'm tired of binary)
1111 1111 1111 1111: network
1100 0000 1010 1000: match
0011 1111 0101 0111: XOR

As you can see, high order bits 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, and 16 all did not match, so this would not hit.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 30, 2013

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Ok I should clarify. The 255s are easy. But what if you have a 0.0.0.15?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Sorry, I edited my post to explain that it does a binary XOR to test.

For your example. Let's use 192.168.25.5.

0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 1111: match
1100 0000 1010 1000 0001 1001 0000 0000: network
1100 0000 1010 1000 0001 1001 0000 0101: host
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 ----: XOR

Since all 28 bits that were important matched, this would allow.

Really the important thing is to view them in binary, not decimal. Decimal needlessly clouds the issue, because it makes matching 0.0.0.128 seem harder than matching 0.0.0.255, when it's not. You're just matching or not matching specific bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!
If you are more comfortable with decimal and just want to compute the range, just view the network address as the lower boundary and add the wildcard mask as the higher. Please note that this only works for masks with contiguous zeros and ones. So:
192.168.0.0 0.0.0.15 matches 192.168.0.0 through 192.168.0.15 including.
10.4.0.0 0.3.255.255 matchs 10.4.0.0 through 10.7.255.255 including.
If you would make a bitmask that isn't all zeros followed by all ones, you will have to use binary.

NB if you already use decimal to calculate subnet ranges, this is the same, except you already did the setup off calculating 255.255.255.255 - <netmask>

Edit to explain a non-contiguous mask: This is not something you would use often or makes your configuration understandable, but could make the math clear. And it is very useful to troubleshoot a mistake:
Let's say you want all even IP addresses in 192.168.10.0/24 to match. The octets of interest are 192.168.10 and then we are also interested in the last bit of the last octet being a 0. So, to match the first three octets, it is all zeroes. To match the last bit of the last octet, we need all ones, and a zero at the end: 11111110, shiwch is 254.
So, the subnet + wildcard of 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.254 matches all even addresses in 192.168.10.0. If you put 192.168.10.1 0.0.0.254, it would be all uneven addresses.

Jelmylicious fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 30, 2013