Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Iucounu posted:

I'm really skeptical of the multiple drummers approach. I have yet to really hear an interesting well done example of it. Can anyone point me to something that might dispel my misgivings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3rJXV4R4E

I'll just get my hat...

But seriously, THRAK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQ1aAaV2H0

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bitches Brew by Miles Davis uses two drummers and it's awesome. Granted, it's fusion, but fusion and prog are kind of close cousins anyways.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
I have less of a problem with multiple drummers than being worried about the mediocre sound of "Scarcity of Miracles". What gives me hope is that Crimson often sounds different than non-Crimson material played by its members.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I'm all for having tons of drums in stuff, but three drummers? That seems a bit overboard. I saw King Crimson in 2008 with Gavin and Pat and that was awesome. I just don't see for what they could possibly need a third drummer, other than a version of B'Boom with the three of them. Maybe this lineup will focus heavily on the stuff from LTIA and Thrak...

But hearing the Mel Collins is back...I second the need for A Sailor's Tale. Perhaps bring back the Ian Wallace solo in the middle but with the three of them? Oh! The Letters! That would be sick!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Iucounu posted:

I'm really skeptical of the multiple drummers approach. I have yet to really hear an interesting well done example of it. Can anyone point me to something that might dispel my misgivings?

Not prog, but Radiohead have two drummers currently and it sounds great :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFTLxkMmY4M (bonus Moog cameo, prog fans :haw:)

They sometimes have three kits, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2084nQbmvk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There's also the Allmans.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Allen Wren posted:

There's also the Allmans.

I met Butch Trucks in 2012. He showed up at TOAPP and told some REALLY amusing stories. Also Jack Dejohnette appeared one day and puttered about. The drummers were flipping out.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
King Crimson being reactivated (I know Fripp considers it "a way of doing things") is cool but they kind lost me after their 80s lineup. I'll see them anyway because Robert Fripp is awesome.

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK? The only band I think of that was that mellotron heavy was The Moody Blues and I guess Porcupine Tree to some extent but I'm a bad prog fan and never got too into them though I get the appeal.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK?

Try their second album, In The Wake Of Poseidon. It's pretty much ITCOTCK but with more songs. Lizard is great as well. The title track has some killer mellotron. And the opening track, Cirkus, is all about Mellotron.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
While we're talking recommendations similar to In the Court... – I'm not really a fan of prog but I love the drum sound on Crimson's first album. What can I listen to that has a similar sound, production-wise (and stylistically I guess)?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Answers Me posted:

While we're talking recommendations similar to In the Court... – I'm not really a fan of prog but I love the drum sound on Crimson's first album. What can I listen to that has a similar sound, production-wise (and stylistically I guess)?
Robin Thompson and Wessex Sound Studios engineered Cressida around the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inRH5Sb_TuE

And Los Brincos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMonlJ8Kuw

If you're a fan of stuff like "Epitaph" and the title track "In the Court of the Crimson King," check out Web's criminally underrated I Spider also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYCRg_0AgqA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Fun fact: Neil Peart auditioned for the as-yet-unnamed King Crimson in 68 or something. He could have been the drummer on Court.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Fun fact: Neil Peart auditioned for the as-yet-unnamed King Crimson in 68 or something. He could have been the drummer on Court.

Holy poo poo. I wonder why that didn't work out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Iucounu posted:

Holy poo poo. I wonder why that didn't work out.

He didn't have the chops. Or at least he wasn't what Fripp was looking for. I think he was also 16 or 17 at the time.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

He didn't have the chops. Or at least he wasn't what Fripp was looking for. I think he was also 16 or 17 at the time.

You have a source for that?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Elton John auditioned for Crimson too. Imagine what that would have been like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

You have a source for that?

It was in one of Neil's books. Traveling Music, I think.

Commander Keenan posted:

Elton John auditioned for Crimson too. Imagine what that would have been like.

Holy crap, that would have been amazing.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Answers Me posted:

I think Gentle Giant may be up your alley?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

King Crimson being reactivated (I know Fripp considers it "a way of doing things") is cool but they kind lost me after their 80s lineup. I'll see them anyway because Robert Fripp is awesome.

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK? The only band I think of that was that mellotron heavy was The Moody Blues and I guess Porcupine Tree to some extent but I'm a bad prog fan and never got too into them though I get the appeal.
You might like Van Der Graaf Generator.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

You might like Van Der Graaf Generator.

I concur. Fripp's guitar can be heard on 2 of their albums (Pawn Hearts and H to the He)

Others you may like:

McDonald and Giles
Anglagard
PFM
Early Genenis - they even used KC's mellotron.

Also check out planetmellotron.com - they have documented every album that featured the 'tron.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So payday is here and I was thinking of ordering some CDs that I can't find at iTunes or my local record store. Any thoughts? As in, are any selections outstandingly better than others? Any stinkers in the list?

Anglagard - Hybris

Adrian Belew - Side One

Caravan - If I Could Do It All

Khan - Space Shanty

Nucleus - Elastic Rock/We'll Talk About It Later

Saga - Beginner's Guide To Throwing

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Most of this stuff I got from a list at ProgArchives, so I dunno. I was also thinking of getting "Velvet Darkness" by Allan Holdsworth. I know he hates the album, but I used to have it on cassette ages ago and I recall liking it.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

I really like Hybris and If I Could do it All Again, I'd do it All Over You would be worth picking up if you like the Canterbury scene

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've never heard any Canterbury stuff before, so I'll take this as an opportunity to check it out.

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006
Skip the Saga for sure. The rest of the list is good to great, with a lean to the jazzier side of prog.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

Iucounu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCCJIwLf2w

obviously

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've already got the other KC albums through Three of a Perfect Pair and I love Genesis but Van Der Graaf and the others slipped under my radar somehow.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I have only heard their debut album but Camel are pretty good

e: and In The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 28, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I agree. The other one is alright but In The Land of Pink and Grey is phenomenal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Side One didn't really do it for me, aside from the Carey/Claypool/Belew stuff.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Just saw Steve Hackett and it was incredible. He has a great lineup playing nothing but classic Genesis tunes. They were even better than the Musical Box. It's really cool hearing some alto sax in some of those classics. They also really spiced Los Endos. Great show.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Seventh Arrow posted:

So payday is here and I was thinking of ordering some CDs that I can't find at iTunes or my local record store. Any thoughts? As in, are any selections outstandingly better than others? Any stinkers in the list?

Anglagard - Hybris

Adrian Belew - Side One

Caravan - If I Could Do It All

Khan - Space Shanty

Nucleus - Elastic Rock/We'll Talk About It Later

Saga - Beginner's Guide To Throwing

Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

Most of this stuff I got from a list at ProgArchives, so I dunno. I was also thinking of getting "Velvet Darkness" by Allan Holdsworth. I know he hates the album, but I used to have it on cassette ages ago and I recall liking it.

Unless you're planning on getting the whole Side trilogy, I'd recommend picking up Side Four first. Fantastic live album with the Power Trio that features most of the best material from the Side albums, along with quite a bit of King Crimson stuff and misc. highlights like Of Bow and Drum and a cover of Within You Without You in the middle of Drive. I saw Belew on this same tour, and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Which is the one that he did with the Slick siblings? I seem to recall that I was only able to find it on his website, but I can't quite remember.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Side Four is definitely with the Slick siblings.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'd pass on Rock Bottom. It's actually pretty awful.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Robert Wyatt's not for everyone, and I think Rock Bottom would appeal more to fans of experimental singer-songwriters like Scott Walker or Tim Buckley than the average prog fan.

Edit: Sea Song off of Rock Bottom is my (everyone's?) favorite Wyatt song, and Tears for Fears have an excellent cover that some might find more palatable.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 28, 2013

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, that Tears For Fears cover sold me. I need to dig into Wyatt's stuff. Starting with the original link you posted.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Crac! is a really cool album, wish I could understand what the hell they were saying.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

If you liked Crac! give Arbeit Macht Frei and Caution Radiation Area a listen.

I've been looking for suggestions for bands similar to Area. If anyone has any I'd love to hear 'em

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
If you're looking for crazy gonzo-jazz, maybe Magma?

BTW I will say that Wyatt's Rock Bottom is really a great pick. It's kind of like a Trout Mask Replica sort of thing - opinions on it are incredibly polarizing, and the album itself seems to overshadow an awesome discography that not enough really pay attention to. Love it or hate it I think most of y'all should hear it at least once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

In the list of odder things I've done I am currently discussing doing a barbershop quartet with Tony Levin next fall. Any advice on KC songs that might work as 4 part harmony welcome!

Coming soon: Sing Crimson Quartet

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 30, 2013