Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

:siren::siren::siren: CURRENTLY IN OPEN BETA!:siren::siren::siren:

Pokemon Trading Card Game Online is a downloadable MMO TCG based on the Pokemon trading card game! The history of the game goes back to a few years ago, when it was some dumb Flash game that essentially taught new players how to play the card game without having to buy cards or interact with creepy 30-year-olds at the local comic book shops. Now it is a free-to-play game in which you can still choose not to buy cards, but you may have to interact with creepy 30-year-olds through the power of the internet.

SO IS THIS FREE-TO-PLAY?
This game is 100% free to play! You don't have to buy anything if you don't want to. You'll start the game with some basic decks (that you'll need to unlock by playing the single-player component) and earn in-game currency to purchase more booster packs and theme decks to expand your collection! All free cards you get in the game are untradeable. The "pay" portion of the game comes from buying physical Pokémon TCG products, such as booster packs and theme decks. Each of these real-life products comes with a redeemable code that you use in the game to give yourself digital copies of those products. Cards acquired from redeemable codes found in official Pokémon TCG products, such as theme decks and booster packs, are tradable! While you can play the game for free, you will fall under the mercy of the random number generator gods in hopes that your free booster pack will give you some good stuff. If you want to speed up the process and get awesome cards and the ability to trade for awesome cards, you'll have to buy real-life Pokémon TCG cards. THE GAME IS FREE TO PLAY, AND THE "PAY" PORTION IS BUYING REAL-LIFE POKEMON CARDS! THAT IS THIS GAME'S HOOK! :getin:

DOES THIS MEAN I CAN'T GET THE BEST CARDS IF I DON'T PAY?
You can get any card that actually appears in a theme deck or booster pack in this game. In fact, you are guaranteed one rare card in any free five-card booster pack you buy. Any and all cards available in their physical counterparts are obtainable in this game for free, with the only catch being that you are stuck with whatever you get and can't trade them for other cards. You also cannot get "parallel holofoil" cards from free packs, which are super shiny but otherwise exactly the same as their non-holofoil counterparts so nobody cares unless you have money to burn I guess.

HOW DO I PLAY THIS DUMB GAME?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZrnEtq-tqA
The official website has a tutorial of the basic game mechanics! There is also a single-player component in the game called "TRAINER CHALLENGE" that serves as sort of a tutorial on how to play the card game, as well as familiarize yourself with the nuances of the game's interface. It is highly recommended that you play through this portion of the game in order to earn tokens and booster packs, as well as not eventually whine about how you don't know how to click cards to do things.

HOW DO I REGISTER?
Do you have a Pokémon Trainer Club account? If you play the DS games and use the Pokémon Global Link feature, then you do! It's the same account, just sign in with that! Otherwise:
REGISTRATION PAGE (WARNING! Don't look directly into the eyes of the characters contained within!)

WHAT DO I CLICK ON THE SPLASH SCREEN?
It really doesn't matter. Once you get past the splash screen, you end up on the main menu and then you can worry about what all those icons do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR NEW PLAYERS

GET THE RALLYING CRY THEME DECK
New players start with three theme decks: a basic Water, basic Grass, and basic Fire deck. After the first day, you will get a basic Fighting deck. There is one more free theme deck that contains Colorless and Water Pokemon called the RALLYING CRY theme deck! Go to the SHOP menu, click on the REDEEM CODE tab, and then enter one or all of these redemption codes:

- boundariescrossed
- plasmastorm
- plasmafreeze
- plasmablast

Like every other free deck, these cards are not eligible for trading. You can redeem ALL FOUR DECKS, which will give you a SHITLOAD OF CARDS FOR DECK-BUILDING! WOW! NOTE: IF YOU REDEEMED THESE CODES WHEN THEY ORIGINALLY GAVE THE POWER RELAY DECK, YOU CAN RE-REDEEM ALL FOUR OF THEM TO GET FOUR COPIES OF RALLYING CRY!

SAVE YOUR TOKENS UP FOR A THEME DECK OR TWO
Booster packs cost 95 tokens and give you 5 non-tradable cards, with one guaranteed rare card. Theme decks, on the other hand, cost 500 tokens and give you a bunch of cards, specifically the always useful Trainer cards, that can then be utilized towards deck-building. For your first purchase or two, you should buy a theme deck to allow you more options for decks. These theme decks are based on their real-life counterparts, so if you know what cards are in their real-life versions, they'll be the same here.

WHEN YOU BUY A THEME DECK FROM THE SHOP, CLEAR THE TRAINER CHALLENGE WITH IT!
In addition to the "four star" progression bar for beating an AI opponent over and over again, you'll notice that theme decks have a "WINS UNTIL BOOSTER: 0/12" counter on them. Beat 12 different AI opponent with the deck to earn yourself a free booster pack!

BASIC ORANGE AND ALL OTHER THEME DECKS DON'T NEED TO BE UNLOCKED
Only the three starter theme decks need to be unlocked via the Trainer Challenge. It is recommended that you unlock all three of the basic decks to give yourself more cards for deck-building, some of which are very good to have (such as Professor Juniper and Double Colorless Energy). Also, when you beat an AI opponent, a progress bar fills up based on how many points you earn after the match is over (win or lose). Progression earns you tokens, and maxing it out gets you a free booster packs!

LINKS OF INTEREST
Pokemon TCG Online Official Website - Contains information on how to play the game, the download for the application, and more!
SixPrizes - Deck-building tips, gameplay strategies, and so on!
Bulbapedia page for the game - Bulbapedia is pretty spergy and contains a ton of detailed info on the game!
Pokemon Megathread - The other Pokemon thread on these forums!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
---------

:psyduck: How can I get tokens faster? :psyduck:

Log in daily to get 15 tokens (except for days where you get booster packs which are better sometimes)! Play a random PvP game against somebody at least once a day (the game must last at least 4 minutes for it to count) to earn 10 more tokens! I recommend playing under the Theme Deck rules on Expert if you don't want to be steamrolled by assholes running a dozen EX Pokémon in the Novice brackets. Playing under expert difficulty with theme decks is not different gameplay-wise, but it does net you at least one extra token, two if your opponent is marked as having the "advantage" beforehand!

Here is a good post on how to get even more:

Arkangelus posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but I've seen a lot of people asking about how to get more tokens. It's very important that when you're doing the trainer challenges that you switch the difficulty to expert as soon as you have unlocked decks to do them with. Going from 0 to 15,000 points scored against a trainer netted me 15 tokens per trainer in Platinum League and I think 17 in City League when I did them a few days ago. That's roughly 3 matches on expert difficulty, or one win for each of the basic decks. It still will probably take you 9-12 hours (at 5-10 minutes per match) so there is definitely some grind but better than nothing.

I'm not sure how/or if the new client will change that but just doing that and going through Gold on the easiest before I figured that out got me enough tokens to get a theme deck.
Note: I just tested it on the new client in the Gold League since I hadn't 3 starred any of them yet and it still appears to be true. Also it's getting the 3rd star that gives the most tokens 10-11 I think.

Enough people are asking about this that it might be good to have it in the OP.
In addition to this, clearning an entire League will net you a couple of random booster packs on top of the ones you were getting for finishing each opponent's progress bar!

--------

:psyduck: How many Trainer/Energy cards should I run in a deck? :psyduck:

Youremother posted:

Here is a very good article on what some of the more desirable supporter cards you'd want and some of the noob traps to avoid. Here is also another good article on basic deckbuilding that has a list of more general good trainer cards. Sixprizes is a great resource for people just starting out in the Pokemon TCG and I would highly recommend these articles as they were the ones that helped me tune my starter decks into something workable.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Here, I just threw something together, might be useful for you folks.

Trainer MVPs

Not sure what kinds of trainers to add to your deck? Here's a list to get you started.

All
Unless you have a specific reason not to run this card, run it.
N [3]: Less severe than Juniper. Good for comebacks, and denying your opponent cards to stop them.
Pokemon Catcher [4]: Pull out a vulnerable Pokemon, either to kill it, or to make your opponent waste valuable resources getting it back. This card is why you always run Switch.
Professor Juniper [3]: Don't hold to one or two cards on a what-if. If you can't find an immediate use for something, you should probably discard it.
Switch [2-3]: Note that moving a Pokemon to the Bench also removes all conditions!

Most
Not for every deck, but worth considering whether you should run it or not.
Cilan [3]: Does your deck include two types of basic energy? USE HIM.
Colress [3]: Is your bench usually full? Run this guy, as a better N.
Skyla [3]: Are there trainers you're stuck without? She'll find them for you.
Super Rod [1-2]: Get back the energies/Pokemon you've lost. Run more if you have fewer energies, or more crucial Pokemon.
Tool Scrapper [2+]: Tired of all those Pokemon Tools causing you problems?

A Stadium Card that suits your deck [3]: Common ones include Pokemon Center, Viribank City Gym, Frozen City, or type-specific ones (like Aspertia).

Some
Bianca [2-3]: Do you empty your hand quickly, but need to hold onto some things sometimes? Use with Juniper, not instead of.
Cheren [?]: A budget replacement for other Supporters that you don't have yet.
Energy Retrieval [2-3]: If you have a lot of abilities that discard basic energy. (Mostly seen in Fire decks)
Enhanced Hammer [2-3]: Do you like Crushing Hammer? Run this instead. Most decks run at least a few Special Energy.
Escape Rope [3]: Some people swear by it as a Switch replacement.
Eviolite [3]: If your strategy is based on Basics or EXs.
EXP. Share [3]: Do you absolutely NEED a Tool for your deck, or do you need to keep momentum when one of your guys bites it?
Float Stone [2]: Lets you pull back a Pokemon from Pokemon Catcher repeatedly, but not if the Pokemon can't retreat on its own.
Hypnotoxic Laser [4]: If you have a way to exploit poison and/or sleep (Viribank Gym etc.), run 4. Otherwise, it's a gimmick that won't be nearly as useful as you think.
Rocky Helmet [3]: Got guys who can take a beating?
Silver Mirror [2]: Not running any other tools, but afraid of Team Plasma pokemon?
Town Map [1-2]: If there are one or two cards that you absolutely need to be able to get. Run with Skyla only.

Conditional
Every deck that meets its conditions should use it. And no others.
Computer Search [1]: Did you luck into one, or do you hate your money enough to get one? Use it.
Colress Machine [4]: Currently the only way to search for Team Plasma Energy.
* Ball [3-4]: Depending on your situation.
-Great Ball: None of the balls below appeal to you.
-Heavy Ball: Lots of Stage 2s/EXs/Guys with high retreat costs
-Level Ball: Lots of lower-level or lower-HP guys.
-Ultra Ball: Your Pokemon are varied enough that one type of ball doesn't cut it, and you usually have cards in your hand to spare.
-Team Plasma Ball: Take a guess.
Rare Candy [3] (Stage 2s!)

Traps
Cards that are rarely worth it.
Giant's Cape - 20 HP isn't worth a card-slot. If you need a general-use Tool, use Rocky Helmet or EXP. Share instead.
Potion - Was buffed from only healing 20 HP, and still isn't worth it.
Cards that rely on a coin flip - Find a similar effect that's for certain.

Addendum: A Guide to Quantities
4: "I want to see this in my opening hand, and as often as possible."
3: "I want to see this at least once every game, and often twice."
2: "I want to see this every so often." OR "I want to see this, and can search for it."
1: "This is my ACE SPEC."

And for energy quantities...
6-8: I want 1-2 of these in my opening hand, and to get about one more with every Juniper.
9-12: I want 2-3 of these in my opening hand, and to get (on average) one per turn.
13-16: My deck needs lots of energies.
17+: I am running a Deluge/Rain Dance deck, or a Shear Gigalith gimmick deck.
56+: I am running a Base Set Mewtwo deck.

Cernunnos posted:

I think I found a few Supporters that might be worth carrying in some decks. All of them are HeartGold & SoulSilver sets though so you'd have to trade/buy redemption codes/booster hunt to get them.

Professor Oak's New Theory: More Draw power
Fisherman: Good for Energy burning decks
Copycat: Again Draw power
Twins: Opponent takes the lead; Hello Stage 2 Pokemon/EX/whatever I want/need.

---------

---------
GOONS
---------
SA Username - PTCGO Username

Mercury Crusader - MercuryCrusader
SolidSnakesBandana - ssnakesbandana
Elblanco - ZeroxMd
Pyroi - Dr_Brinner
doyle-san - bunsenburger
Junpei Hyde - JunpeiHyde
setafd - setafd
Keiya - keiyakins
Youremother - fnord55555
Tired Moritz - LazyRittz
Cerony - Antmedin
Sharkopath - lilsharko
Catsworth - Catsworth
Forer - saforer
Endymion FRS MK1 - endymion_frs
poop in its butt - notokn
Serperoth - Serperoth
Kooriken - Kooriken2
Bat Ham - Bat_Ham
razorrozar - razorrozar0811
Cernunnos - Cernunn0s
Sudoku - Chakadon
NyaoMyao - NyaoMyao
Pumpkinreaper - IAMCRAIG
dude789 - DukeSilver8
TheMadMilkman - themadmilkman
Tatum Girlparts - Glitterball
Astro Nut - JTheBrit
Drone - SA_Drone
MykonosFan - MykonosFan
The Leper Colon V - JackOfSparks
Someone Awful! - SomeoneAwful
Ledgem - Megdel
Inverse - Prinnies
WontGetFooledAgain - BulkPunchfist
Toraen - Toraen
Mr.Electric Ocean - MachineForTepig
Raitzeno - Raitzeno
Locke Dunnegan - LockeDunnegan
Julias - Julias01
Network42 - Network42
Urdnot Fire - Firebert
Plasbad - Plasbad64
Volty - Voltowl
MagusProject - MagusBlag
SpeedRazor - Nester
NeuroticLich - NeuroticLich
Rapdawg - Slowman_Capoke
BougieBitch - Neglect
PhantomBowie - PhantomBowie
technolizard - AlmightyLiz
QPZIL - qpzil1
Thorias - Thorias
Nostratic - Lenient_Process
Rhygezenguro - rhygezenguro
Agoat - Agoat944
Waldorf Sixpence - WaldorfSixpence
Color Printer - Color-Printer
Whalley - sarsparillo
Dead Pikachu - mutaki
Portable Staplefrog - staplefrog
SereneCrimson - SereneCrimson
Cipher Pol 9 - CipherPol9
Newfork - WyattSalazar
djfooboo - djfooboo

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 18, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Can we talk about our childhood experiences with the Pokemon TCG?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Sneasel motherfuckers :unsmigghh:

(Banning him was the worst mistake WOTC ever made for people who liked fun and winning)

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
The storeman at my work harangued me into buying a deck the other day so he'd have someone to play with. I had no idea what the online code included with it referred to.

Jackpot!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

(Banning him was the worst mistake WOTC ever made for people who liked fun and winning)

Do tell :allears:

I actually tried this a bit a few months back. The game is still pretty decent, I just don't know why they went with nerds playing a card game instead of pokemon bullshit for the story stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Livingtrope posted:

Bulbapedia has you covered. Long story short, Sneasel in Neo Genesis was way too good and could potentially do up to 140 points of damage by turn two.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

DrManiac posted:

I actually tried this a bit a few months back. The game is still pretty decent, I just don't know why they went with nerds playing a card game instead of pokemon bullshit for the story stuff.

What, so in the Pokemon World there are trainers who play cards instead of controlling the elements of nature? There isn't really many GOOD ways they could have taken the story.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pyroi posted:

What, so in the Pokemon World there are trainers who play cards instead of controlling the elements of nature? There isn't really many GOOD ways they could have taken the story.

It worked for the GB game :colbert:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I considered registering then I realized I wouldn't recognize any pokemon past the first gen, which is when I played the actual card game too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's some first-gens in there. Somewhere. My goal is to make an entire deck of first-gens.

My name is ssnakesbandana on this, add me bitches!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

DrManiac posted:

They really should replace the trainer challenge with a single player game similar tongue gb game. That game was awesome.

E: also add me to the goon list as ZeroxMd

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Time to dig up my login. I hear they've improved the game client? Last time I tried to play it was painful, to say the least.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DrManiac posted:

The second one was even better about that. It had Not-Team Rocket attempt to take over the world by kidnapping the card-gym leaders and stealing all of everyone's cards in like the first 3 minutes with a blimp and magical tractor beam. They actually kind of succeeded (they basically managed to take all the good cards and actually kidnapped everyone they set out to), but you still got to keep a starter deck and a few people kept their stuff too so you could actually play.

It was alright, though I don't remember if Imakuni was in it; I never saw him, and much like with the first one I never did finish it even though I eventually got right to the very end. I wanna say that the first one was marginally better, but that might just be nostalgia talking.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
A Pokemon TCG game without Imukani? is a game not worth playing, in my opinion :colbert:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Pixeltendo posted:

I traded a foil Charizard with a buble in the foil for a foil Venusaur that I eventually traded for Magic cards.

Is there any matchmaking for this game, or is it all just random? Because getting matched up with guys who drop 170hp Mewtwos and Darkrais on the first turn was not cool.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Throw me on the goon list as Dr_Brinner.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

WhenI was a kid nobody used the energy cards. Actually, we used dice and stuff to make it as much like the games as possible.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
Man the Pokemon TCG brings back some fun memories. I might have to give this a try and see if I can catch up on the ridiculous amount of cards and such.

Dragonatrix posted:

The second one was even better about that. It had Not-Team Rocket attempt to take over the world by kidnapping the card-gym leaders and stealing all of everyone's cards in like the first 3 minutes with a blimp and magical tractor beam. They actually kind of succeeded (they basically managed to take all the good cards and actually kidnapped everyone they set out to), but you still got to keep a starter deck and a few people kept their stuff too so you could actually play.

It was alright, though I don't remember if Imakuni was in it; I never saw him, and much like with the first one I never did finish it even though I eventually got right to the very end. I wanna say that the first one was marginally better, but that might just be nostalgia talking.

Was there ever a fan translation for this? I loved the poo poo out of the first one and was really crushed when the second didn't make it out of Japan.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
Add me bunsenburger

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

AccountingNightmare posted:

Was there ever a fan translation for this? I loved the poo poo out of the first one and was really crushed when the second didn't make it out of Japan.

Right here (ISP). I remember using this and having an issue with Bill's Teleporter or some other card with a really long name. I'm not sure if that was fixed or if it still exists.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Hmm. Interesting. I played a ton of card games when CCGs were all the rage, including the kiddy ones. Yugioh! was legitimately shallow and badly structured, but the Pokemon TCG was actually pretty good. I guess that's not completely surprising, since there does seem to be some kind of M:tG scene over there. I wonder who originally created the Pokemon TCG, and what they've been doing since?

DrManiac posted:

That game was awesome. Does the "Trainer Challenge" mode from this game hold a candle to that?

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 30, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Man, I never got to claim those booster pack codes from the Pokemon XY promo website. Now they're gone and I feel dumb.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

XboxPants posted:

That game was awesome. Does the "Trainer Challenge" mode from this game hold a candle to that?

Not at all. You basically just get thrown against an opponent that has a deck with one, maybe two, energy types total, and that's about it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I redeemed the four decks in the OP, but looking at my collection and my deck manager, I don't see any of them? I just have the Basic Orange. Have I done something weird?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

setafd posted:

I redeemed the four decks in the OP, but looking at my collection and my deck manager, I don't see any of them? I just have the Basic Orange. Have I done something weird?

They're treated as "packs" for some reason. Go into your collection tab, then the packs tab, and you'll have four of the decks sitting there. Open them up one after another.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Add me to the goon list, JunpeiHyde.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

They're treated as "packs" for some reason. Go into your collection tab, then the packs tab, and you'll have four of the decks sitting there. Open them up one after another.

Oh! Well, I got four dealies of the lightning deck. Am I supposed to have theme decks with fire, grass, and water Pokemon to begin with as well?

Also my ingame name is setafd

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

setafd posted:

Oh! Well, I got four dealies of the lightning deck. Am I supposed to have theme decks with fire, grass, and water Pokemon to begin with as well?

Also my ingame name is setafd

Yes. You'll have to go through the Trainer Challenge to unlock the bulk of them.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I know I'm spoiled by Duels of the Planeswalkers, but man is this a clunky interface. It's functional, but it's hard to believe this is an official Nintendo product.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's been ages since I've played the TCG, so I'm going through all the AI trainers first.

The one I'm fighting right now just used a 90 HP heal(of which you can only have one in your entire deck) to heal their Pokemon for 10HP.

...I'm getting the feeling that the AI isn't going to help me prepare to fight actual humans. :saddowns:

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
These beginning fights to unlock your deck can be such a slog. I just want to start playing against humans with a real deck.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Haifisch posted:

It's been ages since I've played the TCG, so I'm going through all the AI trainers first.

The one I'm fighting right now just used a 90 HP heal(of which you can only have one in your entire deck) to heal their Pokemon for 10HP.

...I'm getting the feeling that the AI isn't going to help me prepare to fight actual humans. :saddowns:

I was using a blue deck with Lapras in it. Lapras has an attack that can hit benched Pokemon for 20. The AI I was fighting refused to put energy on his active pokemon so I just whittled down his benched Pokemon slowly.

The AI isn't that great but it helps you get the hang out of playing at least. For someone like me, who just collected the cards in middle school and never actually played the game, it's pretty neat. I wouldn't try grinding out everything at once, that'll just drive you nuts.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 30, 2013

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Discussion > Games > Pokemon TCGO: I'm 30 years old and I just lied on an age gate.

Something I don't think has been mentioned for newcomers is that you get a ton of boosters for maxing out the point scale on each challenge trainer. It's a grind, but not awful if you max out the difficulty.

Watching the CPU play like forty cards per turn is goddamn mesmerizing. I've seen one deck itself by like turn 5.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh hey I'm keiyakins on PTCGO.

I've been playing on TCGO for a while now - long enough that I remember when the thing was a flash game. And yet I STILL always forget you can't play two Bills in a turn now.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I vaguely remember the Pokemon TCG from the era where every decent deck was an unholy speed monster which could draw through like 30 cards in the first two turns by chaining Trainer cards. The best decks either assembled incredibly powerful Stage 2 pokemon quickly or abused disruption trainers (energy removal, gust of wind, etc) to score quick knockouts while delaying the opponent's engine. Then Nintendo kicked Wizards off the project?

I...gather that the game does not play this way anymore. Does anyone want to explain the general design of the modern TCG to someone coming from a Garfield Magic/Netrunner background?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Reiterpallasch posted:

So I vaguely remember the Pokemon TCG from the era where every decent deck was an unholy speed monster which could draw through like 30 cards in the first two turns by chaining Trainer cards. The best decks either assembled incredibly powerful Stage 2 pokemon quickly or abused disruption trainers (energy removal, gust of wind, etc) to score quick knockouts while delaying the opponent's engine. Then Nintendo kicked Wizards off the project?

I...gather that the game does not play this way anymore. Does anyone want to explain the general design of the modern TCG to someone coming from a Garfield Magic/Netrunner background?

It's basically like the old one, but they balance the numbers better and you can only play one 'supporter' per turn. Supporters are basically everything that draws cards.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread to talk about the Pokemon TCG! I started playing this about a month ago and it's really fun. I've cobbled together a handful of workable decks from a few theme decks I've had and good draws (and an exploit that netted me 100+ Plasma Blast packs :getin:) but I don't have much in the way of EX Pokemon or any good legendaries so I still struggle against people who actually have their poo poo together. My currently most successful deck has 4-4 Golurk, 4-4 Musharna and 4 Bouffalant with Golurk being the primary heavy hitter.

My name in-game is fnord55555.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Add me to the goonlist LazyRittz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Just remember, if you don't like the grind, and want to have a bunch of tradable cards at your disposal, all you gotta do is buy real life Pokémon TCG stuff, as every real-life booster pack and theme deck you buy contains redemption codes for digital copies! That's how they get you. This is their F2P model. :getin:

I added a disclaimer about the free-to-play gimmick of the game in the OP.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 30, 2013

• Locked thread