Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Welcome to your new favorite thread!

Teen Titans GO, like Teen Titans from way back in 2003, is a show based on the titular DC superhero team made up of Robin, Cyborg, Starfire, Beast Boy and Raven.
Unlike Teen Titans from way back in 2003, however, this show abandons the heavy focus on continuity, serious storytelling and teenie drama for a more lighthearted show filled with reckless humor, bold colors, songs and silly stories with no regard towards anything the previous might have stood for. And it's pure, unbridled fun.
Season 3! 100+ episodes! Here we go!

The Cast

Robin is the leader of the Team Titans. And he REALLY wants everyone to know. He takes is job way too seriously and becomes a bumbling mess when things don't go his way. He's also a huge dork with too much self esteem, as he shows off his sweet staff nijitsu skills to random people and keeps half naked pictures of himself on his computer.
(VA: Scott Menville)

Cyborg is the "computer guy" of the Titans and, well, a cyborg. He usually hangs out with Beast Boy or builds stuff. Despite him being the party guy and tank of the team, he's actually a huge nerd about outdated technology, old series and other stuff no one cares about, and will not hesitate to engage goon mode on the entire team if he thinks it's necessary.
(VA: Khary Payton)

Starfire is actually a princess from a faraway planet and still hasn't quite settled in. She often has problems getting used to Earth customs and causes confusion. She also gets easily entertained, you could probably distract her by jiggling your car keys. Her powers include flying, laserbeams from her eyes and believing anything Beast Boy tells her.
(VA: Hynden Walch)

Beast Boy is a green guy who can turn into animals.
(VA: Greg Cipes)

Raven fires sarcasm, disinterest and indifference 24/7. She gets easily annoyed by her teammates and prefers to read or watch Pretty Little Pegasus by her lonesome. She's also the daughter of Satan or something.
(VA: Tara Strong)

The "Story"

There really isn't a story to speak of. Each episode might have a plot, but it's self-contained and usually about the Teen Titans messing around in their spare time. A surprising number of episodes actually ends with the Titans dying, or at the very least something irredeemable.
Considering Teen Titans is a show about superheroes, there's actually very little superhero-ing done (cept that one time where Robin rids all crime), and I'm pretty sure they've done well more harm to the city than anyone else in the show.

The Sights

Although Teen Titans Go's art style is more simplified compared to it's predecessor, it looks just great. The colors are supercharged, the designs are crisp and everything is colorful. It's like gluing fairydust to your retinas. The backgrounds look distinctive, palettes perfectly handpicked and the show features some of the sweetest typography I've ever seen in a cartoon, it's plain gorgeous. Teen Titans also is probably one of the best stops when you need amazing faces. There's no end to the amazing faces in Teen Titans GO.

The Numbers
Contrary to what people might tell you, Teen Titans Go! is actually doing really well. And I mean REALLY well. It consistently ranked as not only Cartoon Network's most popular show, but also as the #1 show for children of the age 6-11. They aren't calling it "Your new favorite show" for nothing.

Also this show brought us this sweet Trigon plush so that's pretty neat!

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
TTG thread! Sweet!

Not nearly enough animated gifs though...

Also this one because I may make it my avatar soon:

Also, OP you forgot to add Silky's bio. For shame! :colbert:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Next Episode: Books
Airs October 2

The Titans learn the wonderful magic of books (yeah right :smug:), but as they come across a certain book, all of their imagination comes to life.

Watch the preview here!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I was looking into this, and it's amazing how hated this show is compared to how good it is. I guess peeps just can't deal with teen titans not being serious.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I watched the original Teen Titans in middle school, so this is the first TV show that has ever invoked actual nostalgia in me. Now I know what most goons feel when watching Transformers :v:

It's pretty funny, too. Plus, it's like 10 minutes long so I can minimize my "shamewatching cartoons made for children and Tumblr" time.

Condiv posted:

I was looking into this, and it's amazing how hated this show is compared to how good it is. I guess peeps just can't deal with teen titans not being serious.

Anyone who argues that Teen Titans was "serious" is an idiot. That's a show that had Mad Mod as a major villain. B:TAS, it ain't.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

abraham linksys posted:

I watched the original Teen Titans in middle school, so this is the first TV show that has ever invoked actual nostalgia in me. Now I know what most goons feel when watching Transformers :v:

It's pretty funny, too. Plus, it's like 10 minutes long so I can minimize my "shamewatching cartoons made for children and Tumblr" time.

Anyone who argues that Teen Titans was "serious" is an idiot. That's a show that had Mad Mod as a major villain. B:TAS, it ain't.

It's more like moaning about continuity, action and arcs from what I've read. Still idiotic though.

Oh, the other complaint I hear a lot of is "everyone in the show is now a horrible person!!!", which is kind of missing the point of why it's great. I think someone in the general cartoons thread said that if you replace the characters from teen titans with psychotic assholes you have teen titans: go.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 30, 2013

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I wanted to write this off, partially because I was angry about Young Justice getting cancelled, but every time I catch an episode I find myself very amused.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There is not alot I dislike about this show. It has an early Venture Brothers thing going where it's about a team of adventures and focuses on them not having adventures. It's all just mundane silliness made as silly as possible. It's also a show that will do whatever it can for a joke and isn't concerned about what message it's trying to get across. One of my favorite episodes is Starliar, which seems to follow a typical "and then they learned their lesson" structure but in the end it is revealed that nothing positive was learned at all. I never really even watched the original cartoon and love the crap out of this.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This show won me over when Cyborg plugged into Titan's Tower and literally became Hal.

"I'm sorry. I can't do that Robin."

It's cool seeing Gordon, Bats and the old DC crew in cameos. The Mr. Freeze brand ice cream is awesome. Oh, and Robin using his smoke bombs to run from awkward situations never gets old. :allears:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The Wonder Twins episode was absolute genius. I was just laughing and laughing forever.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I love how absolutely morbid this show is and how frequently people tend to die (the end segments of the Maggie Mae episode and the ghost Beast-Boy one are just fantastic)

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I watched the old show back in the day, but I didn't love it nearly as much as this incarnation. The Titans just seem to fit perfectly in this kind of cartoon.

I was wondering what Japanese audiences would think of that last episode. I don't know how they feel about subversions, but I thought the whole thing was great. Instead of learning about the value of teamwork, Robin just went completely overboard and made the left leg unstoppable. I love how a lot of these episodes go in such crazy directions with the conclusions.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I wasn't really sure what to think of this being a huge fan of the first series, but that picture of Raven with a bunch of hot dogs in her mouth has convinced me; this show is pretty great.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Teen Titans is from 2003? Oh god I feel so old right now :smith:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The original Teen Titans was one of the first cartoons I really got "into" in high school and as an adult who has long since grown out of their weeaboo phase the original show is really hard to go back to. GO actually does way less of the faux-anime stuff since the art is already more stylized and expressive.

I also how, even though the animation is fairly cheap and simplistic compared to most of CN's stuff, they cram a ton of stuff into backgrounds in a way that wouldn't really work in the days before HD became the standard. They do a pretty decent job working within their budget, just a random shot of the wall in Robin's room has a ton of little things.

My favorite background extra so far is having a stereotypical Redditor (complete fedora and pony t-shirt) in line at the kissing booth.

Koalas March posted:

It's cool seeing Gordon, Bats and the old DC crew in cameos. The Mr. Freeze brand ice cream is awesome.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
There hasn't been a show that has made me want to learn how to make gifs like this one! I may even actually learn!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Condiv posted:

Hey, speaking of this, anyone want to hear about how Teen Titans GO is literally (and OBVIOUSLY) made to be as close to Friendship is Magic as possible in an effort to capture its audience, and also single-handedly ruined Raven's character forever? And also how it is both preventing the original show from getting it's much-needed follow-up series and keeping Young Justice from getting its third season by stealing its timeslot?

Of course you don't, because you're not mentally damaged. For those of you who are, enjoy a high school kid who can't be bothered to cover up his acne or shave his soul patch before plastering his face all over his 10 minutes rant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiNsIqbMDfY

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Dementedghost posted:

There hasn't been a show that has made me want to learn how to make gifs like this one! I may even actually learn!

GifCam.exe - simplifies the most annoying part, then you can just gently caress around with it in gif editing software of your choice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the only episode that I haven't liked is the one where Beast Boy decides to stay as a gorilla and becomes a huge rear end in a top hat. Mostly because the episode was just Beast Boy being a huge rear end in a top hat.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
One of my favorite TTG moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN5Tn6AV74Q

And on more Titans-related stuff, have this interview with a Greg Cipes that sounds stoned as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9TqzZP7sG0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I also how, even though the animation is fairly cheap and simplistic compared to most of CN's stuff, they cram a ton of stuff into backgrounds in a way that wouldn't really work in the days before HD became the standard. They do a pretty decent job working within their budget, just a random shot of the wall in Robin's room has a ton of little things.

Is that a picture of DKR Bane cut off on the right side?

Tornhelm posted:

GifCam.exe - simplifies the most annoying part, then you can just gently caress around with it in gif editing software of your choice.

VirtualDub is better because you can do all the cropping / editing / resampling in one place.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 30, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

Is that a picture of DKR Bane cut off on the right side?

Yes, as shown in the picture of Starfire's stuffed animals for the show they're going with Nolan movie Bane.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I watched all of the short from before the show was greenlit today, it's kind of amazing how flat and lifeless they seem compared to the larger than life goofyness of the actual show. Things like Beast Boy washing Robin's utility belt and Robin THROWING BANANA'S AND TOFU TEEHEE are just amazing tame next to what we have now. Maybe they're a little more "true," to the kind of humor and characterization from the original show, but it sure as hell can't stand on its own without the character drama and action.

The one exception is the one where Mad Mod is trying to take them back in time. Things like the robot's turning into Mr. T, Starfire hiding her 80's costume behind her giant 80's hair, the Scooby Doo gag, those are closer to the kind of jokes that we got in the real show, and I'm glad they went full bore down that cliff because it works so much better.

Also, on a whim I tried to explain the nature of farce and make the comparison to South Park to a youtube person who explicitly asked for an insult-free explanation of why someone would like the show. All my points were ignored on the grounds of the show being "retarded lowest-common denominator trash that just rips off Adeventure Time and caters to bronies," then I was insulted despite his explicit instructions to keep any conversation insult-free, told to "suck it," and blocked from his channel. Nothing like intelligent discourse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One neat little detail that you'll miss if you blink is Lex Luthor's face on the money.

I love Teen Titans Go. It reminds me of cartoons like Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff Girls.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 1, 2013

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I was way into this series when it was airing and I still don't know why. Maybe because it was such a contrast to the dreariness and stodginess of Justice League which was airing at the same time. JL, while still one of my favorite series ever, took itself so seriously and let's face it, had some pretty bad writing early on. Meanwhile, Teen Titans just didn't give a poo poo about things like continuity or established characters and simply went nuts with a cast who were clearly having a great time in their roles.

GO is definitely a change, but it's a swerve into the craziness that helped make the original show so endearing while simultaneously avoiding the weird anime deformity stuff that came off as trying too hard.

Protagorean posted:

Teen Titans is from 2003? Oh god I feel so old right now :smith:
The last episode aired in January 2006 and the movie premiered that fall, if that makes you feel any less old.

horriblePencilist posted:

And on more Titans-related stuff, have this interview with a Greg Cipes that sounds stoned as hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9TqzZP7sG0
I have it on good authority that Cipes actually IS stoned as hell most of the time.

Just look at when those guys get together (skip to 2:35):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn_bTYFnYkA

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

raditts posted:

VirtualDub is better because you can do all the cropping / editing / resampling in one place.

Only problem with VirtualDub is learning to use VirtualDub. GifCam is significantly easier to start out with.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The MSJ posted:

One neat little detail that you'll miss if you blink is Lex Luthor's face on the money.

I've watched this clip at least a hundred times and never noticed.

Show loving rules, and I was really expecting it to be awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest thing about Teen Titans Go is how its a complete 180 to how the first show was allowed to treat the DCU. Like there was a lot of dancing around the fact that Robin wasn't allowed to talk about/mention Batman at all. While this show just crams as many characters and references in as possible.

It seems like someone over at WB finally got the stick out of their butt about multiple versions of the same character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's episode might have been the best one yet. They just seem to be ramping up the crazy in each episode and now we've got to a point where they take a lame "books are great" type of episode and completely turn it on it's head.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Raven is so much more awesome in TTG than she was in the regular Teen Titans show. I just saw "Girls Night Out" and the image of her just spending her free time down at the prison taunting Jinx is hilarious.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking around the web it's amazing how much hate this show has for not being "serious" enough. Alot of people really just want it to fail because they feel Young Justive was cancelled because of it and they're just against the very concept of a completely silly DC show.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

axleblaze posted:

Looking around the web it's amazing how much hate this show has for not being "serious" enough. Alot of people really just want it to fail because they feel Young Justive was cancelled because of it and they're just against the very concept of a completely silly DC show.

It's a shame, but I'm glad the show still gets enough support for (at least) another season.
I just feel kind of bad for the staff of the show. They were really excited about bringing the Titans back, and had crazy fun working towards the show. You kept hearing the VAs talk about how fun the recording sessions were and how excited they are to have the fans see episodes they personally like.
They must be getting a lot of complaints and downright hate from the same people who praised them from the beginning of the previous show up until now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

horriblePencilist posted:

It's a shame, but I'm glad the show still gets enough support for (at least) another season.
I just feel kind of bad for the staff of the show. They were really excited about bringing the Titans back, and had crazy fun working towards the show. You kept hearing the VAs talk about how fun the recording sessions were and how excited they are to have the fans see episodes they personally like.
They must be getting a lot of complaints and downright hate from the same people who praised them from the beginning of the previous show up until now.

Why haven't people involved in TV shows / movies / anything really learned to stay off social media? It's a trail of tears, every time.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

axleblaze posted:

I keep being amazed when I try to suggest to someone to think of the show like South Park but satirizing the original show rather than social issues and they just shout back NO ITS NOTHING LIKE SOUTH PARK without explaining why not. Even when you point to Terra-ized, which is the most incredibly obvious, virtually irrefutable example of this you get dismissed. I actually had one guy suggest that the only reason that episode was made was to "cash in," on fans who were SO DESPERATE to see their beloved Terra one last time after the "atrocity," she was dealt in the Teen Titans finale. It's freaking bizarre.

And yet despite how bizarre that is I still can't help but be amazed that people blame Young Justice's cancellation on this show. Just because they occupy the same time slot doesn't mean A had anything to do with B, how can anyone think this?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's great how much of the show seems to be the creators poking fun at the original show and it's fanbase. Like Terra in TTG is pretty much her basic arc done in the most obvious way possible. She's was the character that betrayed the Titans, so on TTG they made it so she was doing the worst job being a secret traitor ever. All the Raven Beast boy stuff really seems to be them feeding/taunting the fanboys that have way too much invested in that. It's all done with love though.

It would honestly be one thing if the fanboys that hate this show hated it because thye felt it was taunting them but they don't even get that far. It's different and silly so they hate it.

I also do love the claims that this show is just them cheaply cashing in on Teen Titans immense popularity. In what wolrd do they live in where Teen Titans was popular enough to warrant a cheap cash in?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
If anyone here is going to attend an anime convention soon, do the thread a favor, find some Teen Titans cosplayers, walk up to them and ask, "Oh hey, is that Teen Titans Go cosplay?"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only caught a couple episodes of this show so far. Kind of mixed on it; while some of it's pretty funny (really funny, even), at other times it seems... Hm, "wacky", in a negative sense. Like, "random", in the sense that a lot of people on the Internet who don't know what "random" means use it. I saw the episode where Raven had that monster thing in her mouth, for example; there were a lot of moments where I was laughing, sometimes a lot, and then there was every "MEATBALL PARTY" moment, which made me want to cringe more than anything. Maybe it's just me, though, since I'm really not a fan of that sort of humor.

But, yeah. Despite my initial expectations and that certain jokes fall flat for me, I am pleasantly surprised by this. May put more effort into catching it in the future.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
This show is what Ultimate Spider-man is trying to be and failing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the books episode is completely unbelievable

i don't want to make watching teen titans go boring so I'm not going to share my thoughts on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The book episode is pretty funny, especially the fight at the end.

I was watching a SDCC interview with Tara Strong and it sounds like 5 voice actors all record their lines together? Which is very unusual and probably accounts partly for how good the comedy is

edit: Jesus christ the dude who voices Robin does not match his voice at all :psyduck:

And Greg Cipes comes across like a rock star

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 4, 2013

• Locked thread