Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I need to go back and do a reread of at least the ending, because I'm still a little confused about the Megan = Firefight connection. From what it looks like she isn't even bad, but she was working with Steelheart the whole time?

According to what we see with Prof, an Epic using their powers causes them to become more hateful, power mad, and evil. Megan being forced to not use her powers while infiltrating the Reckoners let the evil wear off and become more of a normal person. Presumably she was using her powers a lot while being Firefight.

In addition, she resurrects herself somehow if she dies, and the aftereffects of resurrection leaves her mental state in chaos for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm sure it's just some YA novel exaggeration deal, but Megan is super annoying.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
^^
Isn't most of that coinciding with her use of powers?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm only halfway through as yet. Beyond that first impression is it's a quick, fun read. I like super powers stories.

Edit: Ok, everything makes total sense now. Cool book.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 28, 2013

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I need to go back and do a reread of at least the ending, because I'm still a little confused about the Megan = Firefight connection. From what it looks like she isn't even bad, but she was working with Steelheart the whole time?

She was probably being honest when she was giving her reasons for not wanting the team to focus on assassinating Steelheart. Steelheart was evil, but at least he brought a degree of stability and civilization to the region compared to some of the nonstop Epic war zones in other regions.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I think I spotted a bit of a plot hole: It's shown that UV light dissipates Nightwielder's darkness as well as making him tangible. So how does he block out the sun in the first place? It's not exactly important since the rules aren't very strict compared to Sanderson's other series but maybe it'll come up at some point and be explained.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I think I spotted a bit of a plot hole: It's shown that UV light dissipates Nightwielder's darkness as well as making him tangible. So how does he block out the sun in the first place? It's not exactly important since the rules aren't very strict compared to Sanderson's other series but maybe it'll come up at some point and be explained.

He used an umbrella :v:

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I assumed it was related to when they talked about different complimentary powers that add up to something greater than the parts. So the sunlight only stops the first half of his power, and the second half creates the right conditions for the first half.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Fun read. I believe the more obvious plot devices were intentional, as most of his books aren't that "in-your-face" about the ending "twists" (or whatever you want to call them). I enjoyed it, nice to see his book writing pace is still at some ridiculous level. He is getting better as time goes on as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I guessed it was either going to be not being afraid of Steelheart, or being attacked by an epic and a human simultaneously, after the first chapter preview came out. Didn't get the megan thing - thought that she was a gifter, and the 'second-newest person to join' was a coverstory.

Other than that, it felt a lot like Darker Than Black.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The one thing about Steelheart that bothered me was the fact that the dad's dream of good a good super appearing is basically zero now that we know using the powers make you evil. The only way to be a good person with powers is either to not use your powers very often or be super lucky and have the ability to give your powers away.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

If for some reason you're reading this thread and don't have Steelheart yet, the ebook is 50% off for the rest of today on B&N.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

NinjaDebugger posted:

If for some reason you're reading this thread and don't have Steelheart yet, the ebook is 50% off for the rest of today on B&N.

Looks like the same price ($4.99) on Amazon, too

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Loved Steelheart. The only thing that bothered me was the use of "Sparks" in place of a swear. It doesn't bother me in his fantasy books, but in a book that's like the modern world, it does. Yea, I know it's because he's Morman and can't swear but it still bothers me.

The word that takes me out of his fantasy books is the use of "Awesome".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

L-O-N posted:

Loved Steelheart. The only thing that bothered me was the use of "Sparks" in place of a swear. It doesn't bother me in his fantasy books, but in a book that's like the modern world, it does. Yea, I know it's because he's Morman and can't swear but it still bothers me.

The word that takes me out of his fantasy books is the use of "Awesome".

It's more that it is a YA novel than anything else.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

It's more that it is a YA novel than anything else.

Really? Because I can't recall any swearing in any of his other books either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

L-O-N posted:

I think Hoid calls someone a slut once.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

L-O-N posted:

I remember (or think I remember) that Lord Cett, the angry cripple from the second (and third, I think) book of Mistborn swears a lot.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
My guess was totally off. Around where the Prof was telling David to try using the Tensors when they were broken, I caught on that they were probably just for show, especially since all the gear was covered in LEDs. So my thinking was that the Prof had cracked certain powers by tapping into, I don't know, whatever the Epics use, and in order for the Reckoners to use it, he had to put on a little show with the gear, which was why it took time for them to get it right and why Megan couldn't do it, because she couldn't get in the right mindset.

Good book though, even if I was ridiculously wrong about the twist.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mr. Fowl posted:

My guess was totally off. Around where the Prof was telling David to try using the Tensors when they were broken, I caught on that they were probably just for show, especially since all the gear was covered in LEDs. So my thinking was that the Prof had cracked certain powers by tapping into, I don't know, whatever the Epics use, and in order for the Reckoners to use it, he had to put on a little show with the gear, which was why it took time for them to get it right and why Megan couldn't do it, because she couldn't get in the right mindset.

Good book though, even if I was ridiculously wrong about the twist.

I thought it was going to be the same thing as well.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I figured it out around there, but now it just makes me more curious about who Knighthawk is and what sort of cellphone based powers he or she has.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Fine, Fine! With your pages of redacted text. I'll buy Steelheart already.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Fine, Fine! With your pages of redacted text. I'll buy Steelheart already.

You have made the correct decision!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gygaxian posted:

I remember (or think I remember) that Lord Cett, the angry cripple from the second (and third, I think) book of Mistborn swears a lot.

My best recollection is that his swearing is almost always reported rather than printed.

I don't think I've seen curse words in any of Sanderson's work. And yeah, I'm finding the not-curse words (sparks and slontze primarily) kinda distracting.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Never had a problem with fantasy swearing myself. You could cuss with anything after all, and the intent is clear whatever the words used.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There are also a lot of 'hell's and 'bloody hells' in Mistborn . And, surprisingly, nobody ever uses "Deepness!" as a curse.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
just finished, that was really good, enjoyed it a lot. I know people are happy that finally Sanderson has written a book without a clearly defined set of laws to the magic system, however I really want him to explain it later in the series.

I figured that Steelhearts weakness was being hurt by accident. I guessed that Megan was an epic, however I didn't see Prof being one, that one got me.

I am really excited by this series now. He doesn't often do non fantasy, but after reading this, firstborn and the infinity blade novels he is really getting a feel for it.

Also he looks like he has written this specifically with a movie being made in mind, so, quiz time, what actors should play what part?

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dravs posted:

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?

:stonklol:

I'd prefer unknown actors for a movie like this.

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

Also he looks like he has written this specifically with a movie being made in mind
He sold the movie rights for it several months before the book was published, so I'd say yes. :cheeky:

Dravs posted:

so, quiz time, what actors should play what part?

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?
When was the last time you saw these actors? They're more than 10 years too old for the roles. I know in Hollywood a 30 years old can still play a teenager, but I never liked that. :colbert:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Regarding Megan, I wrongly suspected that illusionist (Refracticity or something?) they killed when going to David's place had done the old illusionist switcheroo with Megan.

It was pretty obvious Megan was an illusion epic given her mood swings, hiding in the elevator shaft and the second motorbike, but that situation with that other illusionist seemed fishy to me. It was kinda weird to have another illusionist come out of nowhere to have been another Epic all along actually, was a bit deus-ex-machina-y.

It was also pretty obvious that the Prof was an Epic as well, I mean that sudden arrogance/mood swing is a dead giveaway for all those secret epics isn't it? I thought he was a minor tech Epic like Micah from Heroes, but in hindsight I guess he woulda made more than 3 things in that case.

That propaganda room to make Steelheart more feared kinda gave away his weakness early. If he needs to make himself feared then his weakness is probably not being feared. Would have preferred that part not being in the book actually, bit of a ham-fisted foreshadowing of something that wasn't obvious until then.

Dravs posted:

Also he looks like he has written this specifically with a movie being made in mind, so, quiz time, what actors should play what part?

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?

In my mind as I was reading it I had Jesse Eisenberg as David, Woody Harrelson as Cody, Prof as David Strathairn, Angela Jolie as Megan, Omar Sy as Abraham, Henry Cavill as Steelheart, Hiroyuki Sanada as Nightwielder and uhm, couldn't place an actress for Tia.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
Angelina Jolie is a wonderful choice for a 19-20 year old.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I didn't see Megan's age mentioned, the bit where she and David met just reminded me of Wanted.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Nicolas Cage as Deathpoint.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, I finished it (ill today D: it's very distracting attempting to cough your lungs up about once a chapter) and it was very, very good. The minor plot issue that bothers me though, is the Transfersion - wouldn't it have made everyone's clothes and shoes metal too? Heck, their hair should have been affected. Steelheart doesn't seem the type to be kind enough to ship in a city's worth of clothing.

I thought his weakness would be someone who thought he was a good guy - that would have been a lot tougher to work. It would have worked well with the propaganda room, too. The more people think he's a total oval office, murdering people for no reason, the fewer who are going to realise that he's actually been pretty good for the city, and start thinking of him as more benevolent.

I pegged Prof fairly early on, but looking back, it should have been obvious - he's the only Reckoner who goes by a pseudonym. Completely missed Megan though - with all the stuff about it taking David a while to figure out the Tensors, I figured she just... couldn't work it out. It seems obvious on reflection. But it would have been more so if it had been explicit that neither the harmsway or the jackets worked for her, which wasn't obvious until the book was already climaxing.

Can't wait to see where the next one goes.

Also, it's fantastic to have basically what amounts to an entire book which correlates, both plot- and pace-wise to the last third of one of Sanderson's epic length books. He's great at the riproaring conclusion, having a whole riproaring book is just cool.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Dravs posted:

just finished, that was really good, enjoyed it a lot. I know people are happy that finally Sanderson has written a book without a clearly defined set of laws to the magic system, however I really want him to explain it later in the series.

I figured that Steelhearts weakness was being hurt by accident. I guessed that Megan was an epic, however I didn't see Prof being one, that one got me.

I am really excited by this series now. He doesn't often do non fantasy, but after reading this, firstborn and the infinity blade novels he is really getting a feel for it.

Shia Lebouf for David?
Jean Reno for Prof?
Mila Kunis for Megan?

Prof is CLEARLY Morgan Freeman. I couldn't not hear his voice every time the man spoke. Unknowns for everyone else, though.

Well, maybe a couple of the epics could be big names, I guess.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, I finished it (ill today D: it's very distracting attempting to cough your lungs up about once a chapter) and it was very, very good. The minor plot issue that bothers me though, is the Transfersion - wouldn't it have made everyone's clothes and shoes metal too? Heck, their hair should have been affected. Steelheart doesn't seem the type to be kind enough to ship in a city's worth of clothing.

No, it was mentioned twice in the book that Steelheart's powers don't affect living tissue and everything nearby. It was also mentioned that didn't make sense scientifically.

For what it's worth, things I did and did not realize ahead of time:

- I feel very silly for not realizing what steelheart's weekness was, it's pretty obvious in hind sight.
- I was completely convinced that Megan was an illusion Epic after the scene in the power plant and I also was certain she faked her death somehow.
- I thought about Prof being a giver Epic once the term/possibility was explained and I was certain of this once he told David to try using the tensors anyway.
- I still don't completely get why Megan didn't kill/stage an ambush on the group much earlier. In hindsight, I find it weird that such a supposedly powerful epic did so little.

Great book, read it in one sitting. I do feel the good guys group should have been a bit more numerous to make it more realistic, because they simply did too much for such a little group with too little consequences. Like, steelheart brings a huge police force (and some other epics) to the final fight and the good guys still have no trouble holding them off without casualities. As it is the bad guys seemed comically inept at times.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 30, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I must have missed the 'and everything nearby' part - but it can't be that discriminating, it managed to steelify most of a lake, and they're full to brimming with living tissue... Probably just one of those things.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Troll Bridgington posted:

Nicolas Cage as Deathpoint.

Oh no, Sean Bean has that role. :v:

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I have the habit of picturing actors as characters when I read books as well.

I'm not entirely sold on some of my own thoughts though if they did make a movie.

Robin Gee as Abraham (I know he's not french)
A slightly Younger Kris Kristofferson as Prof
Dianna Agron or Teresa Palmer as Meghan
Matthew McConaughey as Cody
Vin Diesel as Steelheart
Julianne Moore as Tia
I didn't have a solid picture of David in my heard but I was thinking either Alex Pettyfer or Josh Hutcherson.

I know he doesn't fit some of the physical characteristics such as hair, but imagine a voice saying "What are you doing here?" to Deathpoint at the beginning with Diesels voice and intimidation factor. Plus Steelheart doesn't have many lines, so it's all about the voice and physical presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

- I still don't completely get why Megan didn't kill/stage an ambush on the group much earlier. In hindsight, I find it weird that such a supposedly powerful epic did so little.
It was kind of the whole point of the "Epic powers make you Evil" thing. She joined the Reckoners as Firefight, but because she was in incognito she didn't use her powers, so she reverted back to "normal person" Megan. And as Megan she didn't want to kill them. When she resurrected she became Firefight again, since resurrection is an Epic power (plus it messes with her head too).