Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Motronic posted:

What do you mean worst case? That's how you do it, period. It was this company's SOP (call sheriff to notify when you find the car, hook it, beat rear end at least a couple turns away, then strap it down or transfer to a rollback if necessary). No need to hang around to possibly get into a confrontation. Taking somebody's car (even if they haven't been paying for it) is a good way to end up staring down the wrong end of a gun.

Does it pay well to work as the guy that grabs the cars?

I know people like That Guy just as much as the guy that calls at work and at dinnertime to try and collect unpaid debts, but until they ban the use of credit, it seems like there will always be a market for those kinds of people.

What kind of qualifications would you need to be a car repo dude? The only relevant skills I have seem to be that I'm ex-military and I have a Class A CDL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Jakcson posted:

I know people like That Guy just as much as the guy that calls at work and at dinnertime to try and collect unpaid debts, but until they ban the use of credit, it seems like there will always be a market for those kinds of people.

What kind of qualifications would you need to be a car repo dude? The only relevant skills I have seem to be that I'm ex-military and I have a Class A CDL.

Huge biceps
Shaved head
Goatee
Tank top
Low threshold for bullshit

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jakcson posted:

Be named after a beer.
Be Emilio Estevez if at all possible.
If you can't, be Harry Dean Stanton.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

No, landscapers casing for burglaries doesn't sound too far fetched, but everything you've posted reads like dogwhistle racist poo poo that didn't happen.

Whether or not it did happen, the only way this conversation is going is into stupid internet tough guy bullshit. Drop it and move on. Post more truck nutz in unusual places.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jakcson posted:

It pays kinda bad, but better than a regular tow truck driver. And knowing how to drive a tow truck is the primary skill required to get the job. How well you do/how much money you make depends on how good you are at finding cars based on the available information that is given to you and what else you can dig up about the person.

I did it on the side as I had time. I think it would be a miserable way to make a full time living, as you are sometimes doing what comes down to skip tracer work (think stupid hours of the night/morning and loads of boredom sitting in a truck waiting for poo poo to happen) followed by what could end putting you in a dangerous situation (I've been in a few, but at least no one has ever shot at me). Most cars are not like that, but the ones that pay well are.

In general, it's not at all something I would have done if I weren't in my early 20s (meaning I still was under the impression that I was invincible).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Whether or not it did happen, the only way this conversation is going is into stupid internet tough guy bullshit. Drop it and move on. Post more truck nutz in unusual places.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

All I can think is "Ooh, a refreshing Nuka-Cola Quantum!"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I was about to say, it's cool to see Nuka Cola expanding into the tea business. :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
"Are those slicks? Oh.. not originally anyway..."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I don't know who in their right mind would buy one of these. They are the ugliest loving thing on the road right now, aside from the Soul, Juke, and Cube. Seriously why do people think these boxy vehicles are attractive?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Cakefool posted:

No, landscapers casing for burglaries doesn't sound too far fetched, but everything you've posted reads like dogwhistle racist poo poo that didn't happen.

To be fair it was several posts in before I even hinted toward their race so let's just stop this derail. I can't help if you choose to inject your own racism into my anecdote. E:beaten

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 30, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iForge posted:

I don't know who in their right mind would buy one of these. They are the ugliest loving thing on the road right now, aside from the Soul, Juke, and Cube. Seriously why do people think these boxy vehicles are attractive?

I can give that one a pass what with it being a van and all; they're usually bricks with wheels.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

iForge posted:

From a Non-US resident it looks like its got a bastardised F350 front on it. Combined with the awkward shaped van body that would be crap to load.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

My guess with that godawful looking Nissan is that they wanted a more traditional American 2 box look, as opposed to the more typical one box / slanted front look of euro / jap trucks. Since the US has the sprinter and is getting (has got?) the full size RWD transit they may want to differentiate themselves as a more traditional American vehicle, despite being Japanese.

Not an American but that's my read on it. FWIW the equivalent European Nissan (badge engineered Renault master / Vauxhall - Opel Movano) is hardly a looker either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

stump posted:

My guess with that godawful looking Nissan is that they wanted a more traditional American 2 box look, as opposed to the more typical one box / slanted front look of euro / jap trucks. Since the US has the sprinter and is getting (has got?) the full size RWD transit they may want to differentiate themselves as a more traditional American vehicle, despite being Japanese.

Not an American but that's my read on it. FWIW the equivalent European Nissan (badge engineered Renault master / Vauxhall - Opel Movano) is hardly a looker either.

Pretty sure the USDM Nissan NV is based on the Titan pickup chassis. I assume they wanted more use out of that platform.
As for why people buy them? Because it's a commercial vehicle. It's marketed for capacity and utility, not beauty.

RE: Ford Transit. We have the Transit Connect front-driver, don't think we have the full-on Transit yet. I was curious why we didn't when I started seeing the Sprinter (in Dodge, Mercedes, AND Peterbilt flavors) here. Even seen a few RVs based on the Sprinter lately.

Edit: Available Summer 2014 as a 2015 model, replacing the E-series van: http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 30, 2013

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

I see someone isn't familiar with GM's mid-late 00s Passlock system.

The one that uses a switch turned by the tip of the key to disarm, instead of an actual chip somewhere. That switch is easily bypassed by cutting one wire and doing a re-learn (you get a constant security light afterwards, but it'll drive). If you really want to make it better, you can snip a couple of wires, substitute some resistors, and do a re-learn... with no security light. :downsgun:

That switch is also prone to failure, particularly in cold climates - they only run 5V through the switch instead of 12V, add some grease that turns into cement at low temps and... welp!

The upside is new keys for my 2006 GM are a whopping $3 at any hardware store.

Earlier Passlocks with the actual resistor in the key are still pretty easy to bypass. All you need is a resistor of about the same value as the one in the key, and splice it into one fairly easy-to-access wire in the column. Did 'em for remote starts back in the '90s.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Darchangel posted:

Earlier Passlocks with the actual resistor in the key are still pretty easy to bypass. All you need is a resistor of about the same value as the one in the key, and splice it into one fairly easy-to-access wire in the column. Did 'em for remote starts back in the '90s.

Well the idea is, a car thief won't exactly have access to your keys to measure a resistor.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Cakefool posted:

I'm a landscaper. I'm white. Landscapers come in all shapes, sizes, races and incomes. When you insult the business, you aren't just insulting whichever race you think you are insulting. You are insulting all of us, so I agree with this post.

Fucknag posted:

There was also a real, live .44 round in one of the boxes. :stonk:

Oh god, no, not a live round of REAL AMMUNITION. You're lucky that didn't randomly go off and kill hundreds of children! Seriously though, that's kind of weird. Jesse James was kind of cool there for like a year, then he sort of devolved into a super white trash Chip Foose.

Content :

Truck nuts, smoked tail lights, police interceptor badge, a bunch of really awful stickers. That poor Jetta is only a few years old, too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^Why is that picture so blue.

So how hard is it to tow/flatbed a vehicle that is bagged and has the frame sitting on the road?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

veedubfreak posted:

The blue light saber fitted to his hood is saturating the cameras CCD with blue.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
This just reminded me of a new trend I have been seeing lately.

Why are CB antennas suddenly a thing again?

I am sure they aren't Ham, since...they are usually diesel-douches, and red-neck rebel flag wavers..

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
What about something like Onstar? Is that not as safe as I assumed it was for protection against theft?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 30, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mighty Horse posted:

This just reminded me of a new trend I have been seeing lately.

Why are CB antennas suddenly a thing again?

I am sure they aren't Ham, since...they are usually diesel-douches, and red-neck rebel flag wavers..

Why lift the truck if you're not gaining any ground clearance? Why put a scrotum on your trailer hitch? Why deliberately gently caress up your engine/exhaust just to produce smoke?

I'm assuming it's just another fashion thing. There probably isn't even a radio hooked up inside; you can get CB whips at radio shack for like $15 so it's a pretty cheap and noticeable decoration. Edit: although honestly if you're going to install the antenna, might as well get that $80 Cobra CB too while you're at Radio Shack.

I see more trucks cruising around with a full-sized flag in the back these days. Usually just US flags, but sometimes Confederate. We're in Northern California :psyduck:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats my car and I use the CB on road trips and especially on adventures with other goons with CBs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Open in Gimp > Colors > Auto > Equalize

Now you have an ok picture of something awful.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

veedubfreak posted:

White balance set to indoor / incandescent, forgotten

The priority with the front end shape of cargo vans is ease of maintenance + ease and low expense of replacing parts when they inevitably get dinged. It's why you see swaths of black plastic. The new Fiat/Dodge front-driver van is a crime against eyes but it's an exceedingly practical design.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ACEofsnett posted:

Oh god, no, not a live round of REAL AMMUNITION. You're lucky that didn't randomly go off and kill hundreds of children! Seriously though, that's kind of weird. Jesse James was kind of cool there for like a year, then he sort of devolved into a super white trash Chip Foose.

More that the're used rims with a bullet tossed in and what sort of history do these things have based on that?

And yeah, JJ hasn't done anything legitimately cool since Monster Garage.

E: Also they ended up not being able to get lug nuts for it, so as of last night when I left they were sitting in the back room (with the guy's TPMS sensors on them I migh add) until they're able to get a set the fits.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Fart Pipe posted:

Thats my car and I use the CB on road trips and especially on adventures with other goons with CBs.

I never found CB to be of much use, even with a Wilson 1000 and a 150W linear. It'd be smarter to get a 2M/70cm mobile radio and a hamlicense.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DJ Commie posted:

I never found CB to be of much use, even with a Wilson 1000 and a 150W linear. It'd be smarter to get a 2M/70cm mobile radio and a hamlicense.

I do though and I'm not into it enough to go that far.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Das Volk posted:

"Are those slicks? Oh.. not originally anyway..."

Eh... I wore down my last set of starspecs to the point where the two center grooves were all that was left. They were a bit dicey in the rain, but that's a pretty common look for a lot of the autocrossers around here by the end of the season.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

iForge posted:

I have a Soul, it's not that bad. I've got a hosed up back and even getting in/out of a civic was getting annoying. The Soul sits high enough I can just turn and drop my legs, not having to claw my way out of the car from a foot off the ground.

That and a 160hp 4 banger with a 6 speed is kinda fun even if it does sit a little high.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

iForge posted:

It's a work truck, who cares what it looks like (yes it's ugly). We bought one because it does what it is supposed to. Hauls a bunch of poo poo, and easy to work out of.
Well, and because Ford has delayed the Transit a half dozen times now (Damnit Ford :argh:) .

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I have a Soul, it's not that bad. I've got a hosed up back and even getting in/out of a civic was getting annoying. The Soul sits high enough I can just turn and drop my legs, not having to claw my way out of the car from a foot off the ground.

That and a 160hp 4 banger with a 6 speed is kinda fun even if it does sit a little high.

I test drove a Soul and I liked it quite a bit. Not the most dynamic-handling car but it wasn't bad, it accelerated well, had decent interior materials, and was pretty comfortable. I ended up buying a Focus hatchback, but if the Kia dealers where I live weren't all owned by the same franchise and they didn't do ridiculous markups on their cars, I would have given the Soul a lot more consideration.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 1, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh god gently caress the dealerships, they're all poo poo that I've seen. I wound up reporting to the BBB the one I bought mine from for false advertising for trade-ins (long story short, I got a check and an "apology" from the "owner"). I really like the car, I just really hate the dealerships here.

And of all the goddamn things to be wrong with that car when I bought it, some rear end in a top hat stole the shift knob on a previous test drive. So I shook hands with the cat until I could get the cheapest loving shift knob to tithe me over until the new one showed up at the dealership, a lovely chrome skull with red "gemstone" eyes. $3 on clearance. I have the proper one from kia, but the skull's on it and I'm too goddamn lazy to switch it out. gently caress it, it's a kia, and that's the only white trash thing on the car. The eyes fell out a long time ago, lost to the abyss that is my under-seat area. The "chrome" has almost all chipped away, leaving my hand appear as if I'd been fist-loving a stripper for months on end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

White balance set to indoor / incandescent, forgotten

The priority with the front end shape of cargo vans is ease of maintenance + ease and low expense of replacing parts when they inevitably get dinged. It's why you see swaths of black plastic. The new Fiat/Dodge front-driver van is a crime against eyes but it's an exceedingly practical design.

This is all true unless you're ford. gently caress the RWD transit to death; you have to drop the subframe to do a clutch and the engine is awkwardly buried halfway in the car like it's a BMW m3 or something.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

some rear end in a top hat stole the shift knob on a previous test drive.

Wait, what? That's... alright. Maybe there's a black market for Soul shift knobs.

[or maybe people are just dumb]

quote:

The "chrome" has almost all chipped away, leaving my hand appear as if I'd been fist-loving a stripper for months on end.

I want you to write my obituary, when my time comes. :allears:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

This is all true unless you're ford. gently caress the RWD transit to death; you have to drop the subframe to do a clutch and the engine is awkwardly buried halfway in the car like it's a BMW m3 or something.

The M3's engine is buried halfway in the car?

The fuel economy of the Nissan 5.6l V8 is amazing. C&D's long term test vehicle got no more than 14mpg.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyear/vans/1305_2012_nissan_nv_2500hd_long_term_verdict/viewall.html

It doesn't have any EPA ratings but the 2WD Titan that it's based on gets 13/18, 15 combined. This a supposedly high tech aluminum block DOHC V8 with VVT and all that jazz.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. Was the first example that sprung to mind, the transit is much worse than that though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What can I say...

Only $25k? I'm surprised nobody snapped it up!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Great-Wall-V200-/111135825339

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown

General_Failure posted:

What can I say...

Only $25k? I'm surprised nobody snapped it up!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-Great-Wall-V200-/111135825339

I love the ad

eBay Ad posted:

"IF YOU HAVE ANY SMART ARSE COMMENTS DON'T BOTHER BECAUSE I HAVE HAD THEM ALL BEFORE."