Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know if Burt actually changed his opinion so much as he wanted to leave the decision up to Kurt, because he trusts his son as an adult...yes, probably lots more than he trusted Finn. More to the point, he never told Kurt to say yes; he simply told Kurt that marriage is hard but life is short and ultimately it's Kurt's choice to make, for better or for worse. Finn, Blaine, and Kurt were all fairly different people and he gave all three of them fairly different advice. That's not Burt being out of character, that's Burt being awesome.

I will agree that depicting Tina's issues as a result of her romantic failures, along that the fact that it's up to the gallant menfolk to pity-date her in order to drag her out of her hysteria, can be kinda problematic to say the least. The guys in glee club always seemed to get along with each other better than the girls did.

In any case, a lot of it will depend on how it's played in the next episode; Tina's real issues have never been about her love life as much as it has been about her not being given her due, and hopefully that'll be addressed. Just because Blaine and the guys think Tina just needs a man, it doesn't necessarily mean that's what will end up being the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I'm trying to think of a time they've handled Tina well past the first 13 episodes.

I should really go back and watch the first 13 episodes as I can't quite remember anymore what I loved about them. Interestingly, also the only Glee I own on dvd.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm trying to think of a time they've handled Tina well past the first 13 episodes.

I should really go back and watch the first 13 episodes as I can't quite remember anymore what I loved about them. Interestingly, also the only Glee I own on dvd.

In the first 13 episodes Tina had a stutter until it turned out she was just faking it to escape attention. They've never handled Tina well.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Rarity posted:

In the first 13 episodes Tina had a stutter until it turned out she was just faking it to escape attention. They've never handled Tina well.

Touche. So, female characters they've written well fairly consistently: Santana? Becky and Britney?

Edit: I'm trying to maintain some positivity ... honest.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tupping Liberty posted:

I should really go back and watch the first 13 episodes as I can't quite remember anymore what I loved about them.

It turns out that the first season was never really good. We just liked it because it reinforced our poor self-image.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Tupping Liberty posted:

Touche. So, female characters they've written well fairly consistently: Santana? Becky and Britney?

Santana's hosed by virtue of "I Kissed a Girl".

Brittany's either terrifyingly stupid or weirdly smart, with no in-between.

Becky brought a gun to school.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Quinn has been written consistently as a psychopath, does that count?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would argue Emma is consistent, but the woman barely exists anyway.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Emma's been more a prop in Will's storyline than her own character for at least a season now.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

xeria posted:

Emma's been more a prop in Will's storyline than her own character for at least a season now.

Emma's never been anything other than a prop in Will's storyline. Even her relationships were treated as "how is this affecting Will?".

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Tupping Liberty posted:

Only one character in Glee is well written, and it's a female - Coach Bieste.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Skychrono posted:

Only one character in Glee is well written, and it's a female - Coach Bieste.

I disagree; she got the whole "Cooter beats me" storyline. She pulled it off amazingly because Dot Marie Jones is awesome, but that was my least favorite storyline of hers (even if we got a great rendition of Shake It Off out of it).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's been a long time since I watched a Glee episode, but are they still honouring the tradition of crying in cars - preferably while it's raining?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

ufarn posted:

It's been a long time since I watched a Glee episode, but are they still honouring the tradition of crying in cars - preferably while it's raining?

No one drives anywhere except Burt. That's what their teleportation devices are for!

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Harry Freaking Potter Blaine brought some Floo Powder with him when he joined New Directions.

Arclight
Jan 26, 2006

vanessa posted:

I disagree; she got the whole "Cooter beats me" storyline. She pulled it off amazingly because Dot Marie Jones is awesome, but that was my least favorite storyline of hers (even if we got a great rendition of Shake It Off out of it).

"Shake It Out" was pretty much the only good thing to come out of that storyline. I actually prefer the Glee version over the original.

Arclight fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 30, 2013

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Arclight posted:

"Shake It Out" was pretty much the only good thing to come out of that storyline. I actually prefer the Glee version over the original.

Agreed. The storyline was terrible but the cover we got out of it was great. I enjoyed the Glee version of "Dog Days are Over" more than Florence's as well.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Heather Morris had her baby: boy named Elijah :3:

More info can be read here: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-heather-morris-baby-boy-taylor-hubbell-picture-20130930,0,7750658.story

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

apathetic JAP posted:

Agreed. The storyline was terrible but the cover we got out of it was great. I enjoyed the Glee version of "Dog Days are Over" more than Florence's as well.

My favorite version of Dog Days is Pentatonix's. Mitch's solo (he's the short brunette). :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erZN-yCyOP8

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I dunno what happened to my DVR, but it just stopped recording Season 4 so I assumed it was over. Now it recorded the first episode of Season 5 and I don't know much of what's going on. The last thing I remembered was the catfishing storyline with Ryder starting, can anyone be so kind as to fill me in on what's happened since?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Man, I dunno what happened to my DVR, but it just stopped recording Season 4 so I assumed it was over. Now it recorded the first episode of Season 5 and I don't know much of what's going on. The last thing I remembered was the catfishing storyline with Ryder starting, can anyone be so kind as to fill me in on what's happened since?

Uh lets see, Becky brought a gun to school and it accidentally went off, resulting in what was actually a pretty good, tense 20 minutes or so, Sue took the fall for it but apparently Becky fessed up off screen since. Ryder copped to having been molested by his babysitter, something he told his catfisher, which was a major part of his anger about it since he'd never told anyone before. Blaine made the phenomenally stupid decision that he was going to propose to Kurt while they were still broken up but that's since turned out fairly well so okay whatever. Rachel auditioned for Funny Girl on Broadway and didn't get the role which should be completely unsurprising but she's pretty upset about it I guess. Finn went off to college to complete his transition into Will Schuester's Replacement. And uh, Unique turned out to be the catfisher. Which was dumb. Because the entire thread actually plotted it out and it literally made no sense. The writers openly copped to making that plot up as they went along so yeah.

And that's what you missed on Glee!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Who was the most realistic person to be the catfisher?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It was going to be either Kitty or Unique, I'm sure, with Jake as a dark horse.

The best part is how, unless I completely missed it in the first bits of the episode, there was no explanation for why Ryder was back with the glee club when he'd ended the last season quitting because Unique catfished him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I didn't like how long the catfishing dragged on, also I hate the term "catfish" with an intensity that rivals the fires of Apollo, but how could it "literally make no sense" if it's exactly what the entire thread had deduced? It frankly made a lot of sense.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
The thing with the Unique catfishing storyline is that it could have made a lot more sense if they explained it differently. In the first episode with Ryder talking to the girl it was the same episode as when him and Unique were fighting all the time because he didn't understand her gender issues. If they had framed it as Unique saying "I started because I wanted to explain to you how I feel but knew you would understand it better coming from a random hot girl, then developed feelings for you and didn't know what to do" I think the plot might have made a bit more sense.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

courtney_beth posted:

Who was the most realistic person to be the catfisher?

I don't remember the details, but wasn't the evidence examined, with the conclusion that literally no one could be the catfisher?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's not that Unique made no sense as a candidate. She was the obvious choice when it started.

It's that the whole thing kind of makes her look horrible and sadistic. It made no sense for her not to confess during the shooting. Basically everyone else was doing the whole 'last confessions' thing and she spent half of it literally cuddling with Ryder, who was not at all disgusted by her. Continuing it past that point made it look less like :ohdear: I'm scared you won't love me for who I am, and more :devil: I know it's wrong but I enjoy watching you squirm. She took someone she knew was psychologically damaged and strung him along until he alienated all of his friends, spiraled into suspicion and paranoia, and eventually snapped. And through it all, she never dropped her p-p-p-pokerface. :nyd:

It's also disappointment; since literally everyone guessed Unique at first, it seemed intriguing when she started to make less and less sense as a candidate. The show even had Ryder specifically rule her out at one point, seeming to set up a genuine mystery. And in the end, it was still Unique, leaving us all going :doh: Jesus gently caress, Glee, we guessed that six episodes ago.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

I didn't like how long the catfishing dragged on, also I hate the term "catfish" with an intensity that rivals the fires of Apollo, but how could it "literally make no sense" if it's exactly what the entire thread had deduced? It frankly made a lot of sense.

I think more people just figured it'd be Unique from the word go because that's the Glee thing to do rather than it having been logically presented such that the only person who could have possibly done it, when all was said and done, be Unique.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah, that was part of my point. It did make sense as Unique at the start and we all guessed that. But then they kind of systematically ruled her out - Ryder called her during the lockdown but Unique was clearly holding her own phone (and yeah, Ryder was pretty much wrapped around her for half of that) so that made no loving sense. Sure, burner phones, but that's a lot of loving effort to go to just to talk to a guy. Especially a guy who has been kind of a toolbox to you in the past. I vaguely remember having other reasons that it couldn't have been Unique but it's been months and I just don't care enough to go back through the episodes for evidence.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
I think they didn't like that literally everyone figured out it was going to be Unique after like 10 seconds and threw in a bunch of stupid misdirection to drum up fake suspense to preserve their season finale reveal and just ended up making it worse.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
How bad is Glee at maintaining a coherent timeline?

Apparently worse than I thought!?

TWOP 5x01 Recap posted:

"So, are you excited to go back to school?" Dreamboat Blaine opens. "Yeah!" [Kurt] enthusiastically replies, adding, "Fashion Week's coming up!" And here's the exact point where I stopped listening to what they were saying to each other in favor of listening to my own head explode, because the only New York Fashion Week that falls in the middle of a school year is this New York Fashion Week, which means this scene is taking place in late January, which I now realize is impossible because this episode took place on Valentine's Day and this episode covered The New York City Ballet's spring fundraising gala, and what month are we in now, huh? WHAT loving GODDAMNED MONTH IS THIS, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
5x03 song spoiler: Rachel will sing Make You Feel My Love, by Bob Dylan.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Spergatory posted:

Really? I thought the episode was going to be people singing Finn's songs? I was really expecting her to sing Faithfully.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

apathetic JAP posted:

Really? I thought the episode was going to be people singing Finn's songs? I was really expecting her to sing Faithfully.

Nah, we knew they were singing Seasons of Love and If I Die Young, so obviously it's not all Finn's songs.

EDIT: Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Faithfully to be the big group number they end it on.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 2, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say I'm surprised, but yeah I don't expect any different from this show.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spergatory posted:

Nah, we knew they were singing Seasons of Love and If I Die Young, so obviously it's not all Finn's songs.

EDIT: Personally, I'm still holding out hope for Faithfully to be the big group number they end it on.

Given that Rachel doesn't appear until the final act, supposedly, I imagine it's her song the episode ends on rather than a group number.

Seems kind of an odd choice, that song spoiler, considering all the possibilities.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

If you think it's a strange choice, you haven't seen Lea (and Darren) perform this song live. It's absolutely haunting.

Wow, if they've really got cojones they might ask her to do it live in-show as well. It'd be difficult to pull off, but if they could...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'd say I'm surprised, but yeah I don't expect any different from this show.
...Huh? :raise:

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010
The ramifications of Unique being Katie could be interesting, especially considering that Ryder & Unique's slo-mo embrace in the finale. In terms of him coming back to Glee Club, I'm glad they aren't wasting time with the "will he/won't he" when it's obvious he'd be back sooner than later.

Dug the premiere a lot.

Favorite moments off the top of my head:
    • Kurt cutting off Blaine's attempt at starting his planned big musical number in honor of their getting back together with one he set one up himself.
    • The Help! performance.
    • Jake & Marley throwing some friendly shade at Blaine's ridiculousness throughout the episode. Jarley didn't have a lot to do, but their small bits were fun.
    • The cake detour during the Blaine's Tina meeting.

Hinoarashi fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 2, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I'm expecting something similar to the Adele cover from a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Track listing for 5x03:

Seasons Of Love
I’ll Stand By You
Fire and Rain
If I Die Young
No Surrender
Make You Feel My Love