Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

andrew smash posted:

he asked for a co-op game, crawl could be considered cooperative only in the meta sense that if you ask in IRC people will watch your game and advise you

You know what would be an awesome frame for a co-op roguelike? Time Crisis.

Biggest worry I have about co-op roguelikes is where one player wants to run down a 15 tile hallway while the other is fighting a desperate battle where he ponders for 20 seconds on every move. Ruinous! But if you had two agents shooting up a random fortress full of baddies, room by room, you could have something. They plan the attack together, then shoot and cover, each taking turns covering the other while they leapfrog forward for better position. Keep the fight rooms smallish with lots of things to hide behind and around, and fill the game with weapons that encourage teamwork and combo kills.

7DRL is almost* here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Play crawl and alternate turns. Better agree on that escape plan!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey posted:

Play crawl and alternate turns. Better agree on that escape plan!

In one of the RL radio shows they talked about a handoff game of ADOM where every player gets x number of turns, and then the save moves on to the next guy in the list. If you die during your turns, you're out and the next guy gives it a shot. If everyone dies during their turns, then if the original guy can't survive those x turns, he is out and the save reverts back. Seemed really interesting and fun.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I can't even fathom a turn-based co-op roguelike, in that I assume it wouldn't be like playing Arcanum multiplayer, which is all I can visualize for a co-op turn-based game (e.g. everything has an Action Point cost a la Fallout/Wasteland and your turn gives you X action points before going to the next entity in the combat, not like an actual roguelike where generally one action is one turn and everything updates/acts every turn).

I would like even a turn-based multiplayer game like that, though. I'm actually waiting on Divinity: Original Sin for that, but it's totally not a roguelike, just a co-op RPG.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Rings of Valor is rather nifty, if a bit oddly frenetic with all the hopeful team arena management and whatnot. Dev on it is essentially done, as he's currently after some manner of Mass Effect Roguelike project.

http://dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/p/rings-of-valor.html

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Rings of Valor is rather nifty, if a bit oddly frenetic with all the hopeful team arena management and whatnot. Dev on it is essentially done, as he's currently after some manner of Mass Effect Roguelike project.

http://dowhilecompiling.blogspot.com/p/rings-of-valor.html

Download isn't working for me =/

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Looks to be working now, guess the DropBox just needed poking with a stick or some such.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

In one of the RL radio shows they talked about a handoff game of ADOM where every player gets x number of turns, and then the save moves on to the next guy in the list. If you die during your turns, you're out and the next guy gives it a shot. If everyone dies during their turns, then if the original guy can't survive those x turns, he is out and the save reverts back. Seemed really interesting and fun.

I've done this with Crawl before. I believe we set it for about 5000 turns each round after the player group voted for a Deep Elf Transmuter. It was fun and all, but it kind of died out as we started getting to much lower levels and several of the players had no idea how to deal with the different threats.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Hahaha, oh man, I love Cataclysm DDA because of the sheer ridiculousness of the scenarios you get into. In my most recent game my dude's gotten lucky, and I'm currently holed up in a military supply store guarding a stash of cocaine with a pipe. One morning I woke to find a dog sniffing around, so I snorted a few bumps of cocaine, chased the dog down, and beat it to death so I could eat it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From the steam thread: http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-TELEGLITCH/teleglitch-die-more-edition

Teleglitch for 75% off - 3.25$. From all accounts, very much worth it at that price.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Thanks for the tip - I liked the beta enough, I bought it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

From the steam thread: http://se.gamersgate.com/DD-TELEGLITCH/teleglitch-die-more-edition

Teleglitch for 75% off - 3.25$. From all accounts, very much worth it at that price.

Buy Teleglitch if you like roguelikes and shootemups/bullet hells/really crazy graphics. It's really fun.

My sole gripe, which might be fixed by now, is that you can't save mid-floor, only between floors (or I may have overlooked that function since I saw no one else complain about it).

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

S.T.C.A. posted:

My sole gripe, which might be fixed by now, is that you can't save mid-floor, only between floors (or I may have overlooked that function since I saw no one else complain about it).

I haven't played in a while, but I was under the impression that was a design decision - it means they don't ever have to bother persisting and reloading level state. Honestly, a level never took me longer than about 30m, so no big deal, at worst I'd lose half an hour of time.

I'd say it's worth a purchase. I don't think it has much replayability and I wouldn't call it a roguelike any more than I'd call Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy roguelikes; but at that price it's well worth it even if you only do a couple of runs. I think I paid $10 and was more than satisfied.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So there's a first person roguelike on Steam Greenlight right now called Eldritch. http://www.eldritchgame.com/

Here, have a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLEur4Gpl4A&t=34s

It's $15, which is kinda steep, but I personally thought it was worth it.

You play as a librarian in a cosmic prison for some lovecraftian beasts. You read one of three books that takes you into mini-dimensions full of bad guys, traps, items, and so on. It's a cocktail of features from other games but it manages to use all those features really well:

Spelunky - Randomized levels that still feel cohesive and interesting to explore.

Bioshock - Weapon in one hand, powers in the other & the gear system from Infinite

Dishonored/Thief - Mantling & line of sight stealth

Zelda - Random keys for locked doors, shop system (complete with the ability to steal and piss him off)

I beat it a few hours ago and had a lot of fun. Locked door? Find a key! Blow it up with dynamite! Use a special power to blow up the blocks around it! There's some neat enemies, like stone lizards that warp behind you if you look away from them if you're still in their line of sight.

It's not perfect though, and hopefully when the final game comes out there's some the balance is tweaked a bit. The first book's enemies are a tad too easy and the second books enemies might be a little too aggressive, although that might be the point.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

First-person procedurally generated shooter with Minecraft-inspired graphics and a plot loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft.

:wow: that is indie as gently caress

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

quiggy posted:

First-person procedurally generated shooter with Minecraft-inspired graphics and a plot loosely based on H.P. Lovecraft.

wow, it sounds like it plays so much like the original Rogue that it might as well be a sequel.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

quiggy posted:

You forgot w/ enemies inspired by hit show & cult classic Doctor Who

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think Eldritch might be made by a goon too? Someone posted a really early build of something looking almost exactly like that in the making games thread a while ago. Anyways, I'm sold!

*Game is pretty tense, especially in the later areas, enemies start getting pretty freaky and a lot more dangerous. It's pretty fun, overall.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 8, 2013

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone here able to recommend me a good science fiction roguelike? I'm thinking of something along the lines of a Nostromo environment, in the sense you have several industrial corridors, labyrinthic underground complexes and a gritty theme. SOTS: the Pit didn't look like much to me and AlienRL, though good, is too ground on the franchise. Any suggestions?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
DoomRL is the first thing that comes to mind, but you probably already played that. Similarly, AliensRL by the same maker.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Caves of Qud, maybe?

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, I'm talking about something along the line of cyberpunk/industrial space. Like, imagine the Nostromo. It's basically a huge ship that doubles as a mining base and refinery. It's inheritely huge and ripe for alien nasties, like the Xenomorph, to prowl around. That's what I'm looking for.

The best aproximation of what I want in terms of environment is in this video, but it's not really a roguelike format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXZFCcdgxs

That's the sort of thing I want to find in a roguelike.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
You might want to take a look at Teleglitch (which happens to be on sale for $3.25 right now even). You're a nameless worker who is the sole survivor in a huge research facility on a planet in the far reaches of space where something has gone horribly wrong, and survival is extremely unlikely.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TheMightyCheese posted:

You might want to take a look at Teleglitch (which happens to be on sale for $3.25 right now even). You're a nameless worker who is the sole survivor in a huge research facility on a planet in the far reaches of space where something has gone horribly wrong, and survival is extremely unlikely.
It's more of a top-down shooter than a roguelike, though, so fair warning if you're looking for turn-based RPG gameplay.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

It's more of a top-down shooter than a roguelike, though, so fair warning if you're looking for turn-based RPG gameplay.

Yeah, this. I'm looking for turn-based gameplay, as opposed to the Quakiness of Teleglitch. Don't get me wrong, I liked the demo of the game, but it's really not my cup of tea.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think Eldritch might be made by a goon too?
I know those two dudes personally, and used to work with one of them a few years back. Great guys. If Eldritch does well you will probably see more quality stuff like this for a long while.

quiggy posted:

You know how right that is. They both spent a long time in AAA, now they are rolling around in the heady grasses of creative freedom.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I like the idea of Eldritch but the minecraft-looking engine is really off-putting to me.
I'd probably like ASCII rendering more :v:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It actually doesn't sound too bad since I loved exploring caves in Minecraft. I can't help but wish they'd spruce up the graphics a smidge though to put it past the uncanny valley right above "adorable lo-fi" and below "actually got someone to do art". I had similar issues with Terraria and how the playable character looked like it was traced from Final Fantasy.

I also just saw the Crypt of the Necrodancer official trailer and drat it looks like it'll play amazing now that I'm seeing the gameplay with music attached.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RoboCicero posted:

It actually doesn't sound too bad since I loved exploring caves in Minecraft. I can't help but wish they'd spruce up the graphics a smidge though to put it past the uncanny valley right above "adorable lo-fi" and below "actually got someone to do art". I had similar issues with Terraria and how the playable character looked like it was traced from Final Fantasy.
That's because it was. The standard look for the Terraria PC was originally pretty much nothing but Bartz non-job character sprite from FF5. They touched it up a bit since, but you can still tell the origins.

RoboCicero posted:

I also just saw the Crypt of the Necrodancer official trailer and drat it looks like it'll play amazing now that I'm seeing the gameplay with music attached.
I don't really know if this is the kind of game for me, but I think I'll pick it up just to support the amazing Necrodancer pun.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't really know if this is the kind of game for me, but I think I'll pick it up just to support the amazing Necrodancer pun.

You can pre-order it for $13.50 on their website. It's a Humble Store widget, so you'll get a DRM-free download and a steam key when it releases.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I beat Eldritch just now, and it was all pretty fun, but I hope they make it longer/more difficult in he final version. With the exception of one particular enemy, gargoyles it seems like the best strategy is to just move as fast as possible and dice everything in your path since the dagger is so good. If there were varying types of daggers and the one that is in the game now was the best one that would probably be better.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mercury_Storm posted:

I beat Eldritch just now, and it was all pretty fun, but I hope they make it longer/more difficult in he final version. With the exception of one particular enemy, gargoyles it seems like the best strategy is to just move as fast as possible and dice everything in your path since the dagger is so good. If there were varying types of daggers and the one that is in the game now was the best one that would probably be better.

The dev said the final version will have a New Game + mode for extra difficulty.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Bionic Dues

Genre: Turnbased Tactical RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites only
Platform: Windows, Linux, Mac OS X

Bionic Dues is similar to the XCOM style of combining a tactical 'battlescape' with inventory management, soldier progression and an overall campaign against an enemy that is gathering its own forces at a similar or faster rate than you are. You play as a pilot of robotic exosuits, of which you select 4 of any combination from six types and can switch between those 4 during missions as you need. Skynet is coming to play in your home base in 50 days, so you have that long to salvage all the parts you need and make inroads into the robots' forces in preparation for that final battle.

The battlescape is done in traditional roguelike form, with corridor-crawling to find randomized loot, evade traps and find the exit, though that exit may involve destroying all or some specific enemies based on the mission chosen. You have four 'lives' with your four exosuits, but each one you lose nets you one less piece of loot at the end of the mission and makes the mission harder. Losing a mission isn't the end of the world by itself, but you only get to lose a few.

New parts for your exosuits are placed into slots and modify stats, like +500 shields or +100% attack power. You can't add new weapons, but you can change how you might use a weapon, like prioritizing between range, AOE, ammo and damage. Exosuits can be given the ability to move invisible, lay mines, place sentry turrets, hack doors to find loot and ammo caches, infect robots with a virus to turn them to your side, etc.

The game is currently $7.50 on steam until the 15th, when it goes up to $10. There's a demo you can play to see if it is for you. The audio and visuals are unfortunately not too much to write home about, but the gameplay is pretty solid.

quote:

Here is a demo of the 1.0 version of the game for all three operating systems in one zip file. Simply unzip this on your platform of choice and run either Bionic.exe (Windows), Bionic.app (OSX), or Bionic.x86 (Linux). The demo does not include the music, and only allows you to play the first 3 days of any campaign. But you can experiment with the various exos, difficulty levels, pilots, and so forth as much as you like in as many (partial) campaigns as you like. Any savegames made in the demo can be moved into the RuntimeData/Save folder inside an installation of the full game and will let you continue right where you left off.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

You should mention this is made by Arcen, of AI War fame AND A VALLEY WITHOUT WIND so who knows

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 12, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

And of A Valley Without Wind infamy, fair warning.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

... I feel like that is a very important thing to mention

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Unlike Valley, it is actually a finished game that doesn't have gigantically glaring issues due to frequent, sweeping revisions. It also doesn't hurt your eyes to look at it. Feel free to pass over it if Valley left too bad a taste in your mouth to touch Arcen games again, but there isn't any correlation aside from sharing developer name.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's a pretty good game, though normal becomes rather easy once you get equipped. That being said, you can jack up the difficulty if you're feeling masochistic. Ammo management is a lot more of a thing on the harder difficulties, particularly when you lose exos.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
I tested Bardess (and the exact .zip I uploaded and linked to here) with Avast (in its full-features free trial mode). It came out clean and so did the rest of my system. It's safe if people are interested.

Also, Bionic Dues is really interesting and once I have some time to fool with it I'll definitely give it my attention. I was wondering when an XCom type roguelike would show up. I'm also unfamiliar with the rest of Arcen's stuff so that might affect my interest in it.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

deepshock posted:

I was wondering when an XCom type roguelike would show up.

http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/p/files.html

Though it is on the dev backburner for a bit outside of some ongoing mods and total conversions as the dev is looking to go commercial with a massive ovehaul and expansion of a 7DRL he did awhile back to serve to bolster X@COM's engine and experimental bits---Cogmind.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/