Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
What was that rotating dish thing on top of the turret? Didn't look like a hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Der Luftwaffle posted:

What was that rotating dish thing on top of the turret? Didn't look like a hatch.

DirecTV :smug:

But seriously, I agree that it doesn't look like a hatch nor do the hatches on T72s rotate like that does, to my knowledge.. Also, neither Arena or Drodz has a component like that (and weren't exported to Syria anyways, as far as I can tell.) I'm also going to guess that Israel isn't giving out Trophy to Syria, so I think we can rule out any kind of Active Protection System. I also don't think its a commander's sight or anything like that, since it looks nothing like a sight that I've seen before. Its shape does make it look like a radar/satellite dish, though. Some Syrian tanks do have a thing called TURMS-T but I have no idea if its components rotate or even look like anything we saw in the video. :iiam:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oxford Comma posted:

DirecTV :smug:

But seriously, I agree that it doesn't look like a hatch nor do the hatches on T72s rotate like that does, to my knowledge.. Also, neither Arena or Drodz has a component like that (and weren't exported to Syria anyways, as far as I can tell.) I'm also going to guess that Israel isn't giving out Trophy to Syria, so I think we can rule out any kind of Active Protection System. I also don't think its a commander's sight or anything like that, since it looks nothing like a sight that I've seen before. Its shape does make it look like a radar/satellite dish, though. Some Syrian tanks do have a thing called TURMS-T but I have no idea if its components rotate or even look like anything we saw in the video. :iiam:

It looks like some kind of fire control system but it doesn't look anything like the TURMS-T videos.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I've never seen anything like it, either. Has some resemblance to US's LRAD as well, but definitely isn't a simple LRAD clone.

I think what we're actually seeing is the first combat deployment of a terahertz imager in an urban environment. Would be loving HUGE for seeing through walls, and would make a ton of sense. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen something like it come up sooner.

Here's an experimental unit:

http://opticalengineering.spiedigitallibrary.org/article.aspx?articleid=1307603

grover fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 30, 2013

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I would be less surprised if it's just a UHF antenna.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Allahu ackbar indeed.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

grover posted:

X-32 is one ugly dog of an aircraft.

gently caress you, we need to always have one big under-chin air gulper. The A-7 and F-8 made America great, the X-32 would have, but instead we went for baby's first poo poo storm like a bunch of mo's

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Booblord Zagats posted:

gently caress you, we need to always have one big under-chin air gulper. The A-7 and F-8 made America great, the X-32 would have, but instead we went for baby's first poo poo storm like a bunch of mo's

You need planes like that because the occasionally-inhaled flight deck guy kept everyone else on their toes.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiKSTdXLuU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

gently caress off.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

ded posted:

gently caress off.

you seem quite angry bro i hope you learn to chillax a lil. maybe if you refined your sick operator skills you would find inner peace.

namaste.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

ded posted:

gently caress off.

video dude was a navy operator. you were a navy operator weren't you? is this you?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

video dude was a navy operator. you were a navy operator weren't you? is this you?

This is why I am so upset.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

tactical yeoman

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
grand strategic corporal

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ded posted:

gently caress off.

:lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"Mom, can you take a picture for me?!"
"I look so badass."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I always want to see those dudes go force on force with the real units they are immitating.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grover posted:

I've never seen anything like it, either. Has some resemblance to US's LRAD as well, but definitely isn't a simple LRAD clone.

I think what we're actually seeing is the first combat deployment of a terahertz imager in an urban environment. Would be loving HUGE for seeing through walls, and would make a ton of sense. I'm actually kinda surprised we haven't seen something like it come up sooner.

Here's an experimental unit:

http://opticalengineering.spiedigitallibrary.org/article.aspx?articleid=1307603

Dude do you think the loving Syrians are fielding that?

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Can we stop the ironic dick-waving until we figure the gently caress out what was on that T72?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
We have a weird contraption gap! We need to have more weird contraption and groverment funding to keep up with the syrians!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Baloogan posted:

groverment funding

:catstare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If things don't involve military pictures and youtubes in this thread pretty quickly it's gonna get very quiet in here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How about a youtube about a newly released military simulation videogame that I live streamed instead of getting hella laid friday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddhTe4skXdk

please don't ban me

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Here's some kid reenacting that Syria vid where the dude decaps himself with his RPG

:siren::nms:said vid, warning: kinda gross I guess?:nms::siren:

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

north korea makes some pretty cool art

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I like all the 7th Infantry Division patches in North Korean art. Apparently they had a fearsome reputation among the NORKs and are a boogeyman of sorts.

I need to show my dad those, his first unit was the 7th ID. He was also attached to them during Just Cause while he was assigned to the Jungle Warfare Training Center.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hahaha, I know this guy. He was a Corpsman, but now fancies himself as an airsoft aficionado. He's just a goofy nerd, like all airsofters.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

gee why am i not surprised you know this guy. . .

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ghost bones posted:

north korea makes some pretty cool art

I've got the book, it's fairly entertaining.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Thump! posted:

Hahaha, I know this guy. He was a Corpsman, but now fancies himself as an airsoft aficionado. He's just a goofy nerd, like all airsofters.

oh man, you fuckin would you're in that video aren't you

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

oh man, you fuckin would you're in that video aren't you

Nah, those sorts of videos aren't really my style. He came out for an event we had earlier this year and used the word 'operator' like I use the word 'gently caress'. It was a bit annoying.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

oh well in that case youre cool as poo poo bro

pussy all night

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

No fake tactical radios, I'm disappointed.

True story; Earlier this year I was trying to google up some information for some project I was doing at work. I ended up having a hell of a time finding the relevent information I wanted because the results were full of idiot airsofters jerking off about their fake MBITRs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Joementum posted:

Veterans visiting the WWII Memorial as part of the Honor Flight program have knocked down the barriers in protest.

Vets go to memorial, there are barriers due to the government shutdown, they knock them down. You can only hope to be this bad rear end when you get your colonoscopy bag.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

ghost bones posted:

oh well in that case youre cool as poo poo bro

pussy all night

It pisses me off so much to see airsofters in ACUs. Not because I think they are "disrespecting the uniform" or some gay poo poo like that, but because they try so hard to be "ARMY HOOAH RAAAAHHH" that they actually buy and run around in that awful uniform.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I have a friend who does airsoft...because he can't join the military, because he is diabetic :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They always, always use the stupid mandarin collar too.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I've seen some interesting outfits that people wear for this game over the past couple of years.

I'm surprised every weekend:

Airsoft.png:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Dude in the 'murica boxers owns on principal alone :patriot:

• Locked thread