Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Still on page 52 but my number just came up for the Stanly VCP course... any recommended books to get alongside the course? I've never done a CC course before and not really done an online course, but from all the back-and-forth in the thread about the varying quality of the instruction, I'm all for doing self-study after/during the course.

Anyone else get in that wants to form up a study group or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I think I get it now. Im basically working on a subnetting level to determine if a given IP is allowed within a range and can work it from that angle. Just did 10 practice problems given a permit list and and IP address and to see if it would be allowed/denied. Kind of easy considering that if you are dealing with a 0.0.0 you can just ignore those octets and quickly work binary in whatever octet that is not a zero.

Basically, reversing the wildcard mask to find my network increments, and then see if the given IP address falls in that range. Am I describing it right?

workape
Jul 23, 2002

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I ran into this with the Comptia N+ test. After calling the test centers, I realized that some locations only have one or three test days per year. The website shows this as the test being booked or not available until a certain month, then not until a certain day in that month.

I eventually found a generic state education testing center 45 minutes away that offered daily tests in the morning. The lady that checked me in had no idea what CompTia was, I think most of their tests are teacher certifications or school placement based on the other people I saw there.

Are you loving kidding me? Jesus christ. That's beyond loving retarded. Although, it does explain the weird schedules I was seeing at some of the locations where they were only allowing testing to occur on Tuesday or Thursdays. Why not just open up the schedule to let anything go at any time? Fuckity gently caress gently caress.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

MrBigglesworth posted:

Basically, reversing the wildcard mask to find my network increments, and then see if the given IP address falls in that range. Am I describing it right?

I'm not sure what you mean by network increments, but finding matching host address in a wildcard is easy because the "interesting" octet in your wildcard basically defines the upper boundary of your possible host addresses(e.g. 0.0.0.15 tells you that your possible host addresses will be .1-.14).

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

:yotj: wants me to go ahead and pick out training for this year in the 2012 MCSE track. Looking at it, it looks like the 410 exam would be pretty easy. Should I self study for that one, and take the 411 class(5 days) or are there enough gotchas in the 410 to just take that course(also 5 days)?

Citizen Z fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 30, 2013

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That's what I meant by increments. They define the range.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yeah if you just add 1 that's the size of the IP address range you're looking at for that octet*.

.3 -> range of 4 IP addresses.
.7 -> 8-IP address range
.15 -> 16-IP address range
.31 -> 32-IP address range

so 172.16.51.16 0.0.0.7 would include the stated address and the next 7, matching on .16-.23.

For CCNA purposes it's absolutely no different from figuring out the size of subnets, without bothering to distinguish between host, network & broadcast addresses. You might already have those address-space sizes memorized for network masks, in which case "reversing" the wildcard to a netmask works too if that's what you're quicker with.
.3 wildcard = .252 netmask = 4 IP addresses
.15 wildcard = .240 netmask = 16 IP addresses
etc.

*With contiguous wildcard masks only. Like someone else mentioned, it's possible to have discontiguous wildcard masks with 1's and 0's intermingled, the wildcard mask is a very general concept, but you won't see them in your current curriculum.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 30, 2013

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Citizen Z posted:

:yotj: wants me to go ahead and pick out training for this year in the 2012 MCSE track. Looking at it, it looks like the 410 exam would be pretty easy. Should I self study for that one, and take the 411 class(5 days) or are there enough gotchas in the 410 to just take that course(also 5 days)?

The 410 exam wasn't the cakewalk I'd expected, but it wasn't tremendously difficult either. If I remember correctly, it had lots on running unattended installations, lots of PowerShell script questions, and a pretty good bit on Server Core installation and configuration.

I read Tech net and the official Microsoft course book. Those and messing around with VM's was enough for me.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Anyone taken ICND2 2.0 yet?

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Doesn't it start being offered as of tomorrow?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I thought it was available for a while now. ICND2 1.1 expires today.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Just got my Stanly CC email for the VMware class. When it rains it loving pours - work also wants us to get our MCSA 2008 in the next 6 months. Oh well, I was getting bored of having any free time.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

workape posted:

Are you loving kidding me? Jesus christ. That's beyond loving retarded. Although, it does explain the weird schedules I was seeing at some of the locations where they were only allowing testing to occur on Tuesday or Thursdays. Why not just open up the schedule to let anything go at any time? Fuckity gently caress gently caress.

Pearson Vue requires the testing center to have a proctor on-site that's "pearson certified" to uphold the integrity of the testing sites. This means most community colleges or small test centers ship in a proctor from a bigger test center on a certain day of whatever month. If they can only administer 5 tests it wouldn't pay the proctor for the day, so places will do 1 test every 3 months to turn a profit.

The testing center I went to must have been a proctor's home office since testing was available monday - saturday 8 to noon.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Just got my Stanly CC email for the VMware class. When it rains it loving pours - work also wants us to get our MCSA 2008 in the next 6 months. Oh well, I was getting bored of having any free time.

Having done the upgrade to 2k8 from 2k3, I gotta say that is really pushing it. Some of the basics didn't change between 'em, but if you're learning all the MS stuff for the exam, the networking is going to be a head-basher-upper alone.

If you've got good books it's doable - the Sybex 70-646 book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470293152/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) got me through the 646. I'd go for Darill Gibson/Sybex for the other 2k8 exams, and if nothing else, you avoid the complete lack of decent training books for the upgrade exam.

If your work is doing the VCP class funding you may wanna circle back and ask them what they can do to flex the 2k8 expectations.

Also hi5 fellow October Stanly goon.

Edit: So I took the VCA plunge and after seeing the questions I am flabbergasted that VMware would charge money for this. If you can interpret marketing stuff into IT then you'll have no problem, and if it's to certify knowledge then it sure as hell certifies that you paid attention to the presentation.

Well, hopefully it at least allows a bit of leverage to get into interviews, but still, wow.

MJP fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 1, 2013

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So I think I am burning out. Yesterday we had a lab to configure RIP routing. Pretty simple now that I have moved out of first gear, but last night I just couldnt for the life of me understand why PC A couldn't see PC B or PC C. In between each was a switch, then a router, and all 3 routers connected together via Serial interfaces. Each PC could see as far as their own router but no further. I brain mushed into some dyslexic scramble and the concept of "routing" became non-existent.

Today I rebuilt the topology in Packet Tracer so I can do it in my own time and poo poo still isn't working with RIP enabled, even with the instructions in the labsheet print out. What the labsheet wasn't very clear on was that things won't work after particular items are setup, like disabling auto summary (at the very end...ughh). I finally got poo poo figured out but for the life of me my brain hurts and is getting way too foggy as of late. Stuff I had just studied and learned is coming up blanks. Our final for this part of R&S in the CCENT portion is next week.

How do you people (that dont have daily Cisco job duties) cram all of this in your noggin? After this class and a non tech class, I start the final 2 portions of my Cisco classes.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

CheeseSpawn posted:

IOS to XR etc basically shows that IOS was showing its age and definitely took hints from junOS. I'm getting more comfortable with XR but I sure as hell miss the show | compare and commit check commands in junOS. It was a great way to make sure I didnt gently caress over anything in my config changes. Also display set beats the hell out of show run formal. What to know a hosed up router/switch OS? Try Alcatel Timos. Working with the GUI is better than working on the cmd line.

My ROUTE expires at the end of the year I think so I really need to get SWITCH done in the next two months but :effort:

I use TiMOS every day at work and it's simply baffling. I can manage to accomplish most tasks using a combination of the CLI and their Service Aware Manager software, but it's a grind every time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Checking in to say I got into the Stanly class, and it couldn't come at a better time. For those that have taken it, is this the correct textbook:
https://www.efollett.com/webapp/wcs...categoryId=9604

It's the textbook for the CAS department, course number 300039, section 300. No idea if that's the correct information, I just filled out the Google form today. Also no way am I putting in my Social Security number into a Google Form.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That site isn't loading for me, but quite frankly I did the class without any textbook -- all the lab exercises are online as PDFs accessible from their site, and the lessons themselves are videos done by the instructor. You can definitely buy the book to follow along, but honestly I didn't see the need.

Also I just got word back from my instructor saying I've only completed 9 of the labs even though I've gone through all 17. Definitely need to figure out what the gently caress since I don't want to fail this on a SNAFU of any kind.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

FISHMANPET posted:

Checking in to say I got into the Stanly class, and it couldn't come at a better time. For those that have taken it, is this the correct textbook:
https://www.efollett.com/webapp/wcs...categoryId=9604

It's the textbook for the CAS department, course number 300039, section 300. No idea if that's the correct information, I just filled out the Google form today. Also no way am I putting in my Social Security number into a Google Form.

I left my SSN off since it wasn't marked as a required field.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MrBigglesworth posted:

How do you people (that dont have daily Cisco job duties) cram all of this in your noggin? After this class and a non tech class, I start the final 2 portions of my Cisco classes.

I try not to worry about cramming specifics when learning, especially on the first read, instead trying to understand the general ideas at work and the reasoning behind them. Avoid missing the forest for the trees. I do cram some details later if there's a big test coming, but by that point practice and repetition will already have reinforced many of the important things and it's just trivia that a normal person could just google if they didn't work with it every day.

You don't learn to drive by memorizing series of discrete muscle contractions; at some point you need to reduce all this info you're learning into useful generalizations. That's where practice comes in.

A question for you- do you spend time designing and building your own networks at home in PT? If not, you really should, it is time well spent. You seem to be in this overly literal mode of learning, where having the lab instructions printed out is more relevant to your RIP woes than whatever your routing table entries said. You read the chapter, you could write your own lab- don't confuse it for an authority. The netacademy labs are a basic outline for practice, not a complete learning tool in itself.

When you build something and it doesn't work put away the lab for 20 minutes and actually use your network, consider it, use built-in commands to check functions from the bottom up. If layers 1-3 are all up and good, pretend you're a packet and read routing tables to see where you're getting dropped. Use debug output, and if it's gibberish, google that gibberish to learn what it means. The troubleshooting process is what you're there to learn.

And make your own labs, design your own networks. The variety helps you better distinguish what's arbitrary, like specific network designs, the order of certain configuration commands, and reinforces the general skills you need to actually apply what you're learning.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

That site isn't loading for me, but quite frankly I did the class without any textbook -- all the lab exercises are online as PDFs accessible from their site, and the lessons themselves are videos done by the instructor. You can definitely buy the book to follow along, but honestly I didn't see the need.

Also I just got word back from my instructor saying I've only completed 9 of the labs even though I've gone through all 17. Definitely need to figure out what the gently caress since I don't want to fail this on a SNAFU of any kind.

How much book study/PDF study is needed to pass the class? I'd love to not have to buy the book but I tend to study better by highlighting, writing stuff down, reading from paper rather than Kindle/PC. Unless there's no test and the completion passed to VMware is just "you have completed all the labs," that is.

Also hi5 fellow Stanly goons, does anyone wanna get a study group going? We can have a paintball episode every season and engage in elaborate extended references.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Got into the fall class as well. Finally can knock out the stupid pre-exam requirement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MJP posted:

How much book study/PDF study is needed to pass the class? I'd love to not have to buy the book but I tend to study better by highlighting, writing stuff down, reading from paper rather than Kindle/PC. Unless there's no test and the completion passed to VMware is just "you have completed all the labs," that is.

Also hi5 fellow Stanly goons, does anyone wanna get a study group going? We can have a paintball episode every season and engage in elaborate extended references.

I'd say that everything you need to pass the COURSE is available online. The quizzes are from material that he teaches in his online videos, and the labs are straight up PFDs of instructions that you follow.

To pass the EXAM, however, you'll be woefully underprepared if you just go by the class. This isn't really Stanly's fault because they're following the VCP curriculum, but I'd say you should probably go for external sources of education if you plan to use this as a stepping stone to actually learning enough to do your VCP, as opposed to just using it to fulfill your classroom requirement. Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere series is the one that's recommended all the time and I have to say it's a wonderful book. I can't tell you how well it prepared me for my VCP because I haven't scheduled mine yet, but I'm pretty confident that I know my material.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but the Stanly course really is kind of a rubber stamp. The quizzes are jokes that you can literally finish without watching the material. The only value in the class is the videos if you're not already familiar with the concepts and the labs which are pretty straightforward but do a good job of at least showing off vSphere's potential. The class doesn't dig deep into vSphere at all -- it's sort of a 10,000 foot overview that lets you play with the concepts but if you want anything more in depth then you're going to have to educate yourself.

I hope that didn't put anyone off. You probably knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this, but maybe it'll help someone who's not sure what to expect.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Martytoof posted:

I'd say that everything you need to pass the COURSE is available online. The quizzes are from material that he teaches in his online videos, and the labs are straight up PFDs of instructions that you follow.

Do you need to 'attend' the class at specific times or can you just login and do the labs whenever ?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

To pass the EXAM, however, you'll be woefully underprepared if you just go by the class. This isn't really Stanly's fault because they're following the VCP curriculum, but I'd say you should probably go for external sources of education if you plan to use this as a stepping stone to actually learning enough to do your VCP, as opposed to just using it to fulfill your classroom requirement. Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere series is the one that's recommended all the time and I have to say it's a wonderful book. I can't tell you how well it prepared me for my VCP because I haven't scheduled mine yet, but I'm pretty confident that I know my material.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but the Stanly course really is kind of a rubber stamp. The quizzes are jokes that you can literally finish without watching the material. The only value in the class is the videos if you're not already familiar with the concepts and the labs which are pretty straightforward but do a good job of at least showing off vSphere's potential. The class doesn't dig deep into vSphere at all -- it's sort of a 10,000 foot overview that lets you play with the concepts but if you want anything more in depth then you're going to have to educate yourself.

I hope that didn't put anyone off. You probably knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this, but maybe it'll help someone who's not sure what to expect.

Oh no no no, I meant to pass any tests to pass the class itself. I'm basically looking to take the class as the "you have taken the class" VCP requirement. I saw somewhere on VMware's website that an 80% participation or grade equivalent was required for the course to count.

I have zero belief that I can knock down the exam with just a class just because of how I learn and do things... gonna have to spin me up a nice little lab on my own dime and time, but it's worth it.

Moey posted:

Got into the fall class as well. Finally can knock out the stupid pre-exam requirement.

I guess that you'll be the one in charge of doing all the vMotioning work, being the king of the moves.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

jre posted:

Do you need to 'attend' the class at specific times or can you just login and do the labs whenever ?

100% whenever. The first week there are only 1 or 2 chapters open but the instructor will unlock the remainder shortly thereafter.

The class has two bits:

Quizzes and lessons: These are just HTML checkbox quizzes that you do whenever, preferably after you watch the flash videos on the site, but other than having the first lesson done after week 1 (or so we were told), and the end of the class date there are no actual deadlines for anything. Just do these quizzes on your own time at your own pace.

Labs: You schedule lab time through a separate web UI. You can schedule up to 4 hours at a time (and I'm not gonna lie, the lab machines are slow so you don't want to schedule just one hour for any of the bigger labs) on a calendar so you can just do whatever you want while your reservation is active. I tended to knock out 2-3 labs per reservation because they're mostly short, but you can do these whenever you want too. The labs all build on each other so you can't just skip right form lab 1 to lab 17, but that's not really an issue if you're following along.

The only gotcha is that I checked with the instructor and since I do 2-3 labs per reservation I only have a few reservations shown in the system, so on his end it looks like I only have 9 labs done. I told him that I do a few labs at a time and I'm waiting to hear back from him, so if you want to be 100% safe you should probably just do one lab per reservation, even though that's a terribly inefficient way to do it.

MJP posted:

Oh no no no, I meant to pass any tests to pass the class itself. I'm basically looking to take the class as the "you have taken the class" VCP requirement. I saw somewhere on VMware's website that an 80% participation or grade equivalent was required for the course to count.

OK yeah then I just about guarantee that if you aren't completely new to vSphere you will 100% not need the textbook.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

OK yeah then I just about guarantee that if you aren't completely new to vSphere you will 100% not need the textbook.

Even if that not-completely-new state of knowledge is basically logging onto vCenter, powering VMs off/on, knowing what SRM and vCOPS are, and having passed the bullshit VCA-DCV exam simply because it was free?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yes. I guarantee you're overthinking the quizzes. They're seriously like "What does DRS stand for" levels of easy.

Multiple choice, plus you get three re-do's on each quiz and the questions don't change. You can probably literally know nothing about vSphere and still pass the quizzes just by cheesing the re-do's.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MJP posted:

I guess that you'll be the one in charge of doing all the vMotioning work, being the king of the moves.

I think in the past 10 months at my current job I have only done 1 desk move. It was a thin client too!

Edit:

Building and grounds did decided to take apart a special purpose setup to move a desk and do some painting. They decided to hook everything back up with the "if it fits, it is right" methodology. Thanks for plugging the Comcast modem/router that was isolated for this very specific network into our production network. I love rouge DHCP servers.

Moey fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 2, 2013

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Any suggestions for study materials for the LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 exams? I taught myself Linux, mainly on-the-job experience - mainly Debian flavors with a bit of CentOS. Recently I had someone from Google call me up about a job and asked me a few Linux questions over the phone.....I couldn't answer half of them (I am very focused on web servers + app optimizations) - which made me think....I really need to learn more about the stuff I don't know. It seems that Google makes all their admins take these exams, so figure that is a good place to start. Looking over the reviews at Amazon on various books, there doesn't really seem to be a consensus on a decent book. I'm ok with in-person training as well....just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the matter?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
LPIC-1 and Linux+ have a formal equivalency so you can expand your shopping into CompTIA materials as well.

It's a different cert than what you asked for, but I found this book to be very well written and easy to follow.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just a heads up: I got an email from the Stanly Community College cheapo VCP course in my spam folder today. Some people must have bailed and they seem to be going through the waitlist. I decided it's not worth it for me at this time, but if you signed up, check your spam folders.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah I got a call (from an actual person) and an email. I'd already joined another VCP class so I didn't need it, but it's nice to see they're working through the waitlist.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
A few changes in my CCNA program. Holding off on OSPF, DHCP, ACL and NAT until the next module. Instructor felt things were getting too crammed together and we werent soaking it in as well as we should due to the test changes. Im ok with it, will be able to read up on it before the next module starts in 6 weeks.

I have my final test for the first 2 modules on Wednesday. Doing ok on the practice and practice CCENT that was provided (minus the info on the above which he wont count for or against, and will redo that later as stated.

That being said we had our hands on practical test last night and I loving knocked that poo poo out of the park. And this was with a wonky lan cable on one of the PCs. I had a constant ping going from the command prompt, but depending on how the cable was situated (even fully seated and on inspection didnt show any weirdness) it would either work or not. Every other cable I found came up short on length so I just powered through it.

We had a sheet of paper with a network topology and description of what he wanted to see on the LAN using 2 PCs, 3 Routers, 2 switches. Had to do proper subnets, define the network, configure routers and switches with security etc and configure the routers for RIP.

Got such an awesome feeling when the pings started working all the way through and show ip route had the routes propagated from the other side of the LAN. Asked for my grade to start and then that PC with the wonky cable started acting up, pings started timing out, then went solid rest of the the way.

Was the first to complete as well. One poor girl was still working on her subnetting 2 hours into it........

It's weird in that I can grasp the practical aspect much simpler than the theory behind it.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 8, 2013

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

Just a heads up: I got an email from the Stanly Community College cheapo VCP course in my spam folder today. Some people must have bailed and they seem to be going through the waitlist. I decided it's not worth it for me at this time, but if you signed up, check your spam folders.

I sure as hope they don't meet that teacher who is "not going to finish the book" teacher, I gotta go down for my Charlotte a VCAP exam (WOOT VCDX here I come) and would love to talk with him.

Maybe I am just weird because I get knee slappin excited when someone mentions network/storage/hypervisors. But I can't help but rage when someone teaches Storage/netowrk/Hypervisors wrong...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 9, 2013

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Looking for advice on how to continue breaking glass ceilings. Recently (through others misfortunes) I was able to secure the title IT director for my accounting firm. I've been doing help desk for about 10 years (always securing lead tech or a similar title at my past jobs). I take a jack of all trades approach to IT but I have relevant experience in the big 3, Cisco, VMWare, Windows AD. Everything else I fill in the gaps when needed. I have had my A+ for about 10 years (side note: the test seemed A LOT easier back then) and about 6 months ago had the time to secure my CCENT (so angry I did not do both tests at once because I do not currently have the time to finish). Although I like where I am the owner knows this is my first time as a director and is using the opportunity to pay me less then what I feel is appropriate.

Being all projects start and end with me and I have at least one person working under me it seems like a good idea to pursue PMP. Does this seems logical and would I be able to count my time in this position towards PMP hours?

EDIT: Let me add Citrix in here because its essential where I work now and I have become VERY intimate with it as a result (Xenapp, published desktop, VDI in a box).

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 9, 2013

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So heads up, if you're from Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, or Minnesota, you can't take the SCC Vmware class. I just got this email.

quote:

State Authorization Compliance:
Federal and state regulations require that all institutions of higher education comply with existing state laws regarding distance learning. As these regulations are continuously evolving, Stanly Community College (SCC) makes every effort to maintain compliance where feasible. SCC works with the regulatory agencies in each state and US Territories to seek authorizations, exemptions, or permissions to continue to offer distance education programs, courses, and certificate programs to residents who wish to enroll in our distance learning education offerings.

Admission of out of state resident applicants to an online degree, certificate program or individual online course offered by SCC, is dependent on the College’s ability to secure authorization from the applicant's state of residence.

At this time, due to evolving changes in higher education regulations, SCC is unable to serve all of the students that are interested in our courses or programs. SCC will no longer be able to offer distance education online programs or courses for students residing in Alaska, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Minnesota.

Additionally, students enrolled in programs or courses that require internships or supervised clinical placements will be unable to complete these activities in the states listed above.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Passed my CISSP this morning. Took about three hours. First try but I was pretty sure I only got like... A 650. But apparently not!

I prepared the night before by reading a bunch of blog posts about how it's an outdated dumbed down cert that no longer means anything.

But I don't care. I passed.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

spidoman posted:

Passed my CISSP this morning. Took about three hours. First try but I was pretty sure I only got like... A 650. But apparently not!

. . .

But I don't care. I passed.

Congrats.

quote:

I prepared the night before by reading a bunch of blog posts about how it's an outdated dumbed down cert that no longer means anything.

Yeah, this is about what I'm coming to terms with on mine.

Come December, I'm going to be able to upgrade to full CISSP but pretty much nothing is going to change for me (except hopefully my salary cause I'm in D.C. :v: ). The only reason I took it was cause my previous employer wanted me to because DoD 8570. Sent me to a week boot camp and everything; got some knowledge of encryption that I hadn't before so there's that I guess there's that. :shrug: On the other hand, my employer didn't seem to realize they could've saved lots of money by just putting us all through Security+ which is at least more aligned to what we were doing.

I'm going for my CCNA which will definitely help my career. I guess if I had time, I'd be doing more CPE activities than just listening to security podcasts which, while have made more security-conscious, are a passive activity. If I'm bull-ish and optimistic about CISSP, I'd say it could be kind of like the little plastic rings on a six-pack. Each of the cans might represent a skill-set with the CISSP/security holding it all together. But yeah, thin metaphor, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Seems like most of the people complaining about the CISSP being dumbed down just really want it to be a technical certification. If you did technical proficiency on all ten topics... I see a thousand people in the world being able to get the certification. If you want technical proficiency look for those certifications. It's like complaining that you asked for a basketball player and are shocked when they don't play football.