Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I always find the biggest problem with other drivers on a bike is that some have a hard time estimating my speed with just one headlight. If I'm riding down the rode and get the spidey sense tingle about someone waiting to pull out ahead I'll usually move the bike from one side of the lane to the other, back and forth. I've seen some people pop their brakes when I do that so I have to assume it works sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I always find the biggest problem with other drivers on a bike is that some have a hard time estimating my speed with just one headlight. If I'm riding down the rode and get the spidey sense tingle about someone waiting to pull out ahead I'll usually move the bike from one side of the lane to the other, back and forth. I've seen some people pop their brakes when I do that so I have to assume it works sometimes.

I sometimes find it difficult to determine the exact distance to me of bikes with only one headlight. I find it hard to do the same for the many, many domestics around here missing their right headlight from last weekend's DUI. At least the latter sometimes have a dangling corner light on the opposite side that you can use to figure out how close they are in the dark.

I usually wait until I'm 100% sure but I can definitely see how it can happen if you're impatient trash.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

KozmoNaut posted:

As completely brainless and idiotic as the average driver is, a truck (and especially a semi) is friggin' huge and very obviously not a car.

I have had people try to merge in to me or turn across my path when I was driving a F250 with a 30 foot trailer attached and when driving my old bosses straight truck. People just don't think before they do stuff because they have done it without problem hundreds of times before until one time there actually is something there.

Basically the same as in this picture including the forklift hanging off the back.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I always do the wiggle when I'm coming up on someone turning or pulling out and try to do it when lane splitting as well. I'm not sure if it helps gauge speed or just having something moving strangely catches the eye.
I've also noticed that since I put an 80's French spec selective yellow bulb in lots more people move out of my way when lane splitting. So I guess weird colored headlights work to a degree.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sometimes find it difficult to determine the exact distance to me of bikes with only one headlight. I find it hard to do the same for the many, many domestics around here missing their right headlight from last weekend's DUI. At least the latter sometimes have a dangling corner light on the opposite side that you can use to figure out how close they are in the dark.

I usually wait until I'm 100% sure but I can definitely see how it can happen if you're impatient trash.

Saturns completely ruin this method of distance measurement. loving things always look really far away, but never far enough away.

Also, I had some idiot jaywalk right in front of me while I was driving the 5 ton to the parts store a few years ago, because everything else I owned was broken or broken and halfway through being repaired. I'm not sure why he thought that was a good idea but he picked up the pace a bit when I hit the airhorns and locked up all ten tires trying to avoid turning him into red goo. That camo must work better than I expected but I can't really say much for his sense of hearing.

e: happened right here in front of this AutismZone: http://goo.gl/maps/Vvqhq

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 23, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think a lot of people don't even consider how far it takes a vehicle to stop. They just assume they're safe because they're a pedestrian, and no one would dare hit a pedestrian, they'd get sued and go to jail and poo poo! They seem to assume that just because it's illegal means it's impossible and they're safe to do whatever the hell they feel like.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think a lot of people don't even consider how far it takes a vehicle to stop. They just assume they're safe because they're a pedestrian, and no one would dare hit a pedestrian, they'd get sued and go to jail and poo poo! They seem to assume that just because it's illegal means it's impossible and they're safe to do whatever the hell they feel like.

On the flip side, I walk across a very busy street probably 20 times a day for work. I wait for the cross-lights, I check both ways multiple times and I don't doddle in the crosswalk. Almost every day I have a close call. About 2 weeks ago I get the cross light and there is a car waiting to take a right beside me I look over and she waves at me to go ahead. I get about 8 feet off the curb and she guns it. She pulls out into the left lane (4 lane non-divided with a turn lane in between) I stopped so hard I fell towards her car and actually made contact with my chest, but manage to save myself by pushing off her rear passenger window. She didn't stop she just accelerated away as fast as possible. I was so stunned I didn't even have time to look at her plate, otherwise I'd have called it in as a hit & run.

Never ever assume it's safe, even if they see you. People just generally don't give a drat and will take your life over a 15 second delay in their day.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Consider yourself lucky she didn't get mad at you and decide to finish the job.

(From the terrible car stuff topic)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once almost turned left in front of two motorcycle cops at an intersection. They were riding real close together at night, and their headlights looked like a car that was farther away.

So I guess ride staggered or in tandem in that situation?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Saw this on Facebook: Land Rover owners group (yeah yeah i know, but there are some nice trucks on there)

Dumb Facebook User I wouldn't use engine oil in a hydraulic system. I did it once in a brake system just for a tow to be scrapped. Worked for that day, but no brakes the next day, but didn't matter as wasn't after parts from the braking system. I think it upset the rubber seals.

Seriously. loving ENGINE OIL IN YOUR BRAKES?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Consider yourself lucky she didn't get mad at you and decide to finish the job.

(From the terrible car stuff topic)
That van looks neato.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Here are some nice bikers confronting an SUV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukdkgLYYbw

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ticle-1.1471585

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I hate watching stuff like that. Stupid people in a mob increases the stupidity exponentially.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Their lane positions, following distances, and (lack of) gear choice is loving appalling. Also, how loving dumb do you have to be to try and make a 2 ton vehicle rear end your motorcycle. I'm totally going to show this rear end in a top hat! *brake checks, gets squished* He's lucky the Range Rover driver was paying some sort of attention and not traveling along like most motorists.

e; also that article is really loving hard to read. What's so hard about telling a story from start to finish in the order that it happened?

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 1, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I get that the bikers are stupid for confronting the driver, but there wouldn't have been an accident in the first place if he wasn't following with less than a car length's distance. The dude on the white bike brake checked him and he didn't brake back.

The SUV driver was clearly impatient because his "right" to have the road all to himself was being impaired by the mass of bikers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Galler posted:

Also, how loving dumb do you have to be to try and make a 2 ton vehicle rear end your motorcycle.

Its only dumb if you believe that motorcyclists are in any way responsible for their own safety. If a motorcycle cuts you off and brakes checks you, and your 2 ton vehicle is unable to stop faster than a <500 lb bike its all your fault for not being aware of the motorcycle!

Giblet Plus! posted:

The SUV driver was clearly impatient because his "right" to have the road all to himself was being impaired by the mass of bikers.

So if an angry mob of motorcyclists forced you to stop in the middle of a highway you'd just sit there and let them do whatever they want? At what point would you justify breaking out of the mob and running? When they're dragging you and your family out of the car to educate you on :airquote: motorcycle awareness :airquote:?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Giblet Plus! posted:

I get that the bikers are stupid for confronting the driver, but there wouldn't have been an accident in the first place if he wasn't following with less than a car length's distance. The dude on the white bike brake checked him and he didn't brake back.

Yeah, keep raging against cagers.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Giblet Plus! posted:

The dude on the white bike brake checked him and he didn't brake back.

Watch the video playback time and keep in mind the average human perception/reaction time of 1.5 seconds.

The biker cut him off with about 1/8th a car length to spare, speeds up slightly, and then brake checks the SUV driver. That's loving on the biker.

e: I ride a motorcycle. I do everything in my power to not get loving run over by inattentive drivers. Part of that is to not put myself in harms way by being dumb as hell.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Giblet Plus! posted:

It looked bikes were cutting him off and slowing down in the beginning of the video. His following distance would have been constantly decreased by the riders ahead of him unless he came to a dead stop in the middle of the road. The actions of both sides seem stupid in this case.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bang Me Please posted:

His following distance would have been constantly decreased by the riders ahead of him unless he came to a dead stop in the middle of the road.

Keep watching. At 35 seconds they do come to a complete stop and box the SUV in, with several bikers getting off of their bikes and approaching the SUV in an aggressive manner. Unless there's footage we're missing it appears that the bikers caused an accident, boxed the SUV driver in and were going to dispense some mob justice.

I ask again - at what point would any rational person justify someone who is vastly outnumbered breaking out of a mob and running?

e: Yeah, these bikers are real saints - http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-motorcyclists-pull-driver-car-beat/story?id=20419705

ABCnews.com posted:

Finally, after the entire group turned off the highway and the SUV rolled to a stop, motorcyclists ran up to Range Rover and one biker, using his helmet, began smashing the windows of the vehicle, the video shows. Other bikers joined in before the video was stopped.

The bikers then assaulted the driver, according to the NYPD. The driver's wife and 2-year-old child were not harmed. The driver was taken to Columbia Medical Center, where he was treated and received stitches, police said.

[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said he did not expect the SUV driver to face any charges.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 1, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Geoj posted:

So if an angry mob of motorcyclists forced you to stop in the middle of a highway you'd just sit there and let them do whatever they want? At what point would you justify breaking out of the mob and running? When they're dragging you and your family out of the car to educate you on :airquote: motorcycle awareness :airquote:?

I would have seen them coming 1/4 mile ago in my rearview mirror, and moved to the right to let them by, maybe even with a thumbs up. I live in south side chicago and you see big groups of bikes all the time. I always give them space to do their thing.

Conversely, when I'm on my bike, it's nice when cars do the same.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Giblet Plus! posted:

I would have seen them coming 1/4 mile ago in my rearview mirror, and moved to the right to let them by, maybe even with a thumbs up. I live in south side chicago and you see big groups of bikes all the time. I always give them space to do their thing.

So to be clear here - you're justifying motorcyclists causing an accident and then using it as justification to cause property damage and assault someone because (hypothetically) he didn't "give them space to do their thing"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd just like to point out, as a member of the Cycle Asylum illuminati, that I don't recognize that guy as a frequent or respected poster in CA.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geoj posted:

Keep watching. At 35 seconds they do come to a complete stop and box the SUV in, with several bikers getting off of their bikes and approaching the SUV in an aggressive manner. Unless there's footage we're missing it appears that the bikers caused an accident, boxed the SUV driver in and were going to dispense some mob justice.

I ask again - at what point would any rational person justify someone who is vastly outnumbered breaking out of a mob and running?

e: Yeah, these bikers are real saints - http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-motorcyclists-pull-driver-car-beat/story?id=20419705

So what stance are you taking exactly? After this post it seems like "All of them".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CA is alllllll over that discussion right now in our pics and video thread if you need to get .02 in.

In summary:

Someone said it very eloquently: 'Those aren't motorcyclists, those are assholes on motorcycles, there is a big difference'. As a motorcyclist, having watched the video, I have no beef with the SUV guy.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Really, the only thing I can say the SUV driver did that was "stupid" was to get off the highway and get caught in traffic with no exit route. But, I don't know the roads in NYC, so it may have been unavoidable.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Geoj posted:

So to be clear here - you're justifying motorcyclists causing an accident and then using it as justification to cause property damage and assault someone because (hypothetically) he didn't "give them space to do their thing"?

Giblet Plus! posted:

I get that the bikers are stupid for confronting the driver,

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress everybody with a G name, that is all.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Bang Me Please posted:

It looked bikes were cutting him off and slowing down in the beginning of the video. His following distance would have been constantly decreased by the riders ahead of him unless he came to a dead stop in the middle of the road. The actions of both sides seem stupid in this case.

seems like a pretty clear way to communicate "give us a little more space"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

Seems like a pretty clear way to communicate "I want to die by being run over by a car but I don't want to leave any legal confusion as to who was at fault (me)."

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Giblet Plus! posted:

I agree and applaud the biker and his actions. When driving I often get in front of large trucks and jab at the brakes to tell them "Hey this is my lane now so don't crowd me."

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

Seems like a pretty clear way to communicate "I want to die by being run over by a car but I don't want to leave any legal confusion as to who was at fault (me)."

everyone keeps forgetting, I agree that the bikers are dumb. however, the suv driver was also dumb. being brake checked is not an excuse for hitting someone.

it's no coincidence it was a suv. he was all jacked up off his big badass suv, and wanted to play tough guy for his wife. basically he was kinda like zimmerman.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

Really, the only thing I can say the SUV driver did that was "stupid" was to get off the highway and get caught in traffic with no exit route. But, I don't know the roads in NYC, so it may have been unavoidable.

It says in the news article above that when they initially stopped the SUV one of the bikers slashed a tire. Probably wasn't possible to maintain highway speed with a flat and disintegrating tire, I'd guess he was trying to make it to a well-populated area to ensure there'd be witnesses.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Giblet Plus! posted:

So its now OK to completely block an entire freeway, while riding illegally(pretty sure its illegal to ride side by side like that) just because there are a lot of you? Are people expected to just stop on the onramp when they accidentally get into the middle of this?

Granted I would have just waited for them to pass since poo poo like this happens, but doesn't mean its OK for guys to ride like this. I am just glad that we don't get groups like this in seattle.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Giblet Plus! posted:

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Note: In the moments immediately prior to this, that biker is literally next to the SUV, in his lane and mean mugging him. Also, because the camera man is farther back at that point, we see a bike roughly one car length behind the SUV.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Giblet Plus! posted:

everyone keeps forgetting, I agree that the bikers are dumb. however, the suv driver was also dumb. being brake checked is not an excuse for hitting someone.

it's no coincidence it was a suv. he was all jacked up off his big badass suv, and wanted to play tough guy for his wife. basically he was kinda like zimmerman.

This is really precious.

I mean, I, too, can't believe that the FUCKIN' CAGER had the audacity to hit the guy in front of him who was driving erratically, unpredictably, and irresponsibly.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Giblet Plus! posted:

If you watch before that, that rider comes up alongside the suv, enters the lane next to the vehicle, then pulls in front and brakes. Regardless of what may have gone on beforehand, that man caused himself to get hit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like a bunch of douchebags who just watched mad max for the first time to me.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Phone posted:

This is really precious.

I mean, I, too, can't believe that the FUCKIN' CAGER had the audacity to hit the guy in front of him who was driving erratically, unpredictably, and irresponsibly.

I know, it's like, why can't rape victims learn to not dress like total sluts. rear end in a top hat shouldn't have been driving that stupid SUV, poo poo wouldn't have happened. If he'd just learn to pull over to the side of the road any time he sees a motorcycle, dude wouldn't have gotten his rear end handed to him in front of his kid. Now she'll grow up and become a whore because daddy is a road hogging pussy.

Geoj posted:

It says in the news article above that when they initially stopped the SUV one of the bikers slashed a tire. Probably wasn't possible to maintain highway speed with a flat and disintegrating tire, I'd guess he was trying to make it to a well-populated area to ensure there'd be witnesses.

I missed that before posting but read that in the CA picture/video thread after the fact. I don't expect any average joe to know "ambush tactics" any more than I would expect them to engage in evasive driving on a flat tire in a roll-over prone vehicle with their 2yo daughter in the backseat. Just arm chair coaching I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

As a motorcyclist who dislikes inattentive drivers as much as anybody (and who deals with MANY, MANY of them during my daily 60 mile commute), my opinion is SUV guy did nothing wrong.
Even if the SUV almost creamed you because he's a lovely SUV driving douchebag, you catch your breath and focus more on not getting into the crap situation that caused you to almost get creamed. You don't assault someone. You surely don't break out their windows and stab them. If that went a little further he could have been murdered.
If that were me and I had my wife and kid in the car I'd be playing loving motorcycle pinball until the cops got there.