Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spiffness posted:

Someone said it very eloquently: 'Those aren't motorcyclists, those are assholes on motorcycles, there is a big difference'.

Awww geez, really? Eloquently? You're my new #1 favorite poster :glomp:

Bugdrvr posted:

As a motorcyclist who dislikes inattentive drivers as much as anybody (and who deals with MANY, MANY of them during my daily 60 mile commute), my opinion is SUV guy did nothing wrong.
Even if the SUV almost creamed you because he's a lovely SUV driving douchebag, you catch your breath and focus more on not getting into the crap situation that caused you to almost get creamed. You don't assault someone. You surely don't break out their windows and stab them. If that went a little further he could have been murdered.
If that were me and I had my wife and kid in the car I'd be playing loving motorcycle pinball until the cops got there.

Yeah, it ain't easy when you ain't got time to bleed. sorry

I would have done the same thing in that situation. Bunch of douchebags crawling all over the lanes, making a mess of traffic laws and trying the "own the road" because they're a large group? They can gently caress right off and ride properly instead of that macho bullshit. And once they start with clearly threatening behavior and trying to break into the vehicle, drat straight any father with his wife and kid in the car is going to do something desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bugdrvr posted:

If that were me and I had my wife and kid in the car I'd be playing loving motorcycle pinball until the cops got there.
Yup. You put a guy with his wife and infant with him in a position where he feels genuinely threatened, you take what happens on the chin. If he'd smeared a few of them against the concrete divider as well, I wouldn't have the least bit of sympathy.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

This is fantastic. And will probably be a $1500 option on next years model.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, they've apparently arrested the guy on the bike who did the first brake check.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Good, gently caress that guy.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I wish the federal government would surround my jeep on sports bikes

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

IOwnCalculus posted:

For what it's worth, they've apparently arrested the guy on the bike who did the first brake check.

Hopefully an incitement charge on top of the traffic violations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I saw that video yesterday and I was bummed about how many internet videos I see that I never hear any sort of resolution to about what happened. Then I come into work today and it was like the second headline on cnn.com. I'm not saying I want every news outlet to just cover memes and youtube from now on, but in this one instance it was nice.

I just don't get people who go to these huge gatherings for the sole purpose of clogging roads and being dicks. Wouldn't you rather ride with a couple of people on some back roads than just try to get into Times Square surrounded by 1000 other bikes and not going anywhere? "Hollywood Stuntz" indeed.

Edit: vv at one point I saw an ATV with what looks like a small yellow New York license plate on it. Are those actually road legal in New York if they have blinkers or something?

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 1, 2013

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
So the original poster of the video had more online that he quickly took down. But, as is the case, someone snagged them and put them on LiveLeak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

You can see them lanesplitting and driving on the sidewalk with pedestrians on it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Solar Coaster posted:

So the original poster of the video had more online that he quickly took down. But, as is the case, someone snagged them and put them on LiveLeak:

You can see them lanesplitting and driving on the sidewalk with pedestrians on it.

I honestly don't understand what the hell gets into people sometimes. I speed. I admit it. I also slow the hell down in residential areas, and ALL the way down in school zones. I stop fully at stop signs. I don't cut across the double yellow when they turned it sharper than they should have for the turn. I can't fathom taking a motorcycle on a sidewalk or surrounding an SUV just to be a dick.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://youtu.be/BLwe7UqUX7k

More video from the motorcycle group. I can't loving believe what I am seeing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I honestly don't understand what the hell gets into people sometimes. I speed. I admit it. I also slow the hell down in residential areas, and ALL the way down in school zones. I stop fully at stop signs. I don't cut across the double yellow when they turned it sharper than they should have for the turn. I can't fathom taking a motorcycle on a sidewalk or surrounding an SUV just to be a dick.
Me too man. I ride like a complete rear end in a top hat sometimes. But I do it far away from pedestrians and houses and even other cars on the road, for the most part. Moderation, you know?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I really wish motorcyclist would stop trying to kill themselves around me to be honest. I know you guys (who do this) think you are hella fuckin' cool, riding in formation, but when your inside group is riding tires on the white line, that means you are in my lane bub.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Last winter I was trying to park in a really busy part of the city and after about an hour of searching for street parking I found what appeared to be a row of public parking spaces that were rather hidden from the main roads, with a spot. Basically the only thing you need to know is that the parking spaces were at the bottom of a really steep hill shaped cul-de-sac with apartments on one side, and a giant cliff with i5 on the other side. After a few hours my friend and I come back to the car and we decide to chill and eat some sandwiches in the car before we leave. After a bit I notice this little hatchback (I think a Mitsubishi?) appears to be slowly backing down the hill into my friend's car (a shitbox so neither of us cared) and then pulling forward when it gets about half a foot from our bumper. Cue this happening several times. I'm thinking "oh boy looks like I parked in someone's reserved spot" because it's pretty common for people to be aggro enough about parking to block you in and call a tow truck in this particular neighborhood. Well, I was mistaken. It starts pointing toward the Mini Cooper parked next to me instead, rolls down the hill, and then a 18-20 year old girl wearing an extremely short black and metallic dress jumps out of the driver seat, runs behind the car, and tries to push it back up the hill. Obviously there's too much momentum. My passenger and I jump out of the car, the girl gets pinned between the two cars and both of her legs appear to be broken at the knee and there was blood everywhere. My friend gets there in time to stop some of the impact but her car literally bounced a good way back up the hill from the momentum. Once I get there we're able to hold the car in place, and some neighbors show up to help move it. Right away I can tell that the driver is heavily intoxicated, and she starts throwing up. Another guy who just showed up and I start asking her where the keys are, and she says that they're in the ignition but all of her locks except the hatch are frozen shut so the only way to enter the car is through the hatch. Without even giving us a chance she drags herself through the hatch and a giant mountain of clothes with two broken knees, SCREAMING in pain, and tosses us the keys. I still to this day have no idea why she did this. The other guy climbed in while his family and I pushed the car into a parking spot. After this is all said and done, she explains, "I'm really drunk and my clutch is out and my brakes don't work and my car is stuck in first, please don't call the cops"

I share the road with this car.
Oh yeah the handbrake worked just fine. The guy who steered the car into the parking spot simply said "that car is so hosed, it's amazing that she managed to not kill anyone on the way here. There are NO brakes." I never actually "drove" it but I'll take his word on it's state of fuckedness.
The Mini didn't have a scratch on it :)

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So she was trying to do a hill start while drunk out of her mind and then proceeded to compound it with some fractures? Nice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Idly browsing the for sale section for stuff for E87s, I come upon these wheels:

I'm sure those two tires had excellent grip, especially in the wet.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bolind posted:

Idly browsing the for sale section for stuff for E87s, I come upon these wheels:

Do used tire places sell stuff like that cheap to people who swap them out for drifting competitions at tracks or something? Surely there are penalties if police catch you with tires like that on public roads, right?

Edit: apparently 1/16th inch is the legal minimum but I'm not sure if a cop would actually allow you to drive away on those tires or just write you a ticket.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 1, 2013

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
The driver of the SUV should have put it in reverse and ran over all of them. Every person in that group had the power to stop that from spiraling out of control and they did nothing but either watch or participate. A certain motorcycle gang around here likes to do big-dick stuff like that all the time and more than once I have almost run one over for that poo poo. gently caress em.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So she was trying to do a hill start while drunk out of her mind and then proceeded to compound it with some fractures? Nice.

With effectively no clutch or brakes too

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iForge posted:

The driver of the SUV should have put it in reverse and ran over all of them. Every person in that group had the power to stop that from spiraling out of control and they did nothing but either watch or participate. A certain motorcycle gang around here likes to do big-dick stuff like that all the time and more than once I have almost run one over for that poo poo. gently caress em.

Actually when he stopped the first time and they slashed his tires he hit three of them when he sped off.

Sadly, no injuries.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Solar Coaster posted:

You forgot to mention running EVERY red light.

Edit: and riding in the oncoming lane :stare:

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 1, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

Actually when he stopped the first time and they slashed his tires he hit three of them when he sped off.

Sadly, no injuries.

Supposedly one of those 3 who were hit is now in a coma in the hospital with multiple broken bones and possibly paralyzed (according to his family).

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

davebo posted:

Edit: vv at one point I saw an ATV with what looks like a small yellow New York license plate on it. Are those actually road legal in New York if they have blinkers or something?

No, my brother has an ATV with NY plates but that only makes it legal to ride on private property. Riding unregistered/illegal dirt bikes and ATVs through the streets isn't uncommon in NYC, I guess it's mostly a Bronx thing but I've seen it in person here in Brooklyn too, just not in groups. Your chances of getting caught are very low and even if you do you usually only end up with a couple hundred dollars to pay and maybe you wont get your ride back.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Supposedly one of those 3 who were hit is now in a coma in the hospital with multiple broken bones and possibly paralyzed (according to his family).

Probably had nothing to do with the initial attack on the range rover either. I wonder how many civil cases are going to come out of this after all the criminal ones are dealt with.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Probably had nothing to do with the initial attack on the range rover either. I wonder how many civil cases are going to come out of this after all the criminal ones are dealt with.

here, found the story:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/01/20772232-1-biker-charged-another-critical-in-nyc-range-rover-chase?lite

I feel bad that his family doesn't realize how much of a shithead this guy is.

he's one of the few that got off his bike at the first part of the incident

(red circle)

quote:

Mieses, who lives in Lawrence, Mass., can be seen on the video getting off his green bike to check on Cruz, his aunt said. He was standing near the SUV when Lien suddenly took off and ran over him, she said.

Police said Mieses suffered two broken legs, but family members said his injuries were far more severe and include a torn aorta, broken ribs and spinal damage that will probably leave him paralyzed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

He's from Lawrence? That's all they needed to say.

I heard a story about a firefighter from Lawrence. He had moved to Lawrence to take a job at the fire department there and was moving into his new house. When he and his friends took a break to get some lunch, someone broke into the house and stole a lot of what they'd already moved in. On their return to the house they discovered this and called the police. While they were on the phone with the police someone stole the moving truck (and the consequentially the rest of his stuff) right out of the driveway. He tried to get help through the fire department, the police usually look out for firemen, but he never got anything back.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2013

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

PleasantDirge posted:

So I happen to be friend of a friend removed from the young man who is currently in the hospital with broken ribs and is paralyzed for life and there is a LOT that did not get shown to you in the video.

To start, the bikers were not the original aggressors, they pulled up alongside the Range rover and asked to all pass on one side and the SUV driver had a loving temper tantrum and started endangering the bikers by swerving and acting like most dumb poo poo SUV driving entitled dick bags. This is everyday poo poo for motorcycle riders and until you kick off someones side view mirror or put a dent in their car for driving like a jackass it's not even notable. Yeah the bikers were driving like dicks, but what is the point of stopping a HUGE group of people on machines that are twice as fast as his big, slow, AMRORED vehicle from passing you? It's entitled moral busybodyness that lovely drivers impose on people who actually ejoy ride/driving and it happens all the time and it's frustrating as gently caress when some soccer mom has a pearl clutching moment when she doesn't like the way you drive and decides that it's her personal duty to cut you off and slam on the brakes so that you realize what you are doing is "dangerous".

If you are curious as to why a group of bikers doesn't think they have any options other than vigalante justice for endangering their husband/wife/brother/sister/friends life (since we are all gnashing our teeth and wailing about the family in the SUV) just take a look at the way that people in this thread are reacting to the bikers without even knowing half the story. You call them trash and say that dude deserved to die but last time I checked it's not cool to harass families in suvs but it's also not cool to bully unprotected bikers with your gently caress off 2 ton truck, who at least gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked to pass you.

Skinheads are never cool or ok but if you go into a nazi bar and order a shot of Maneshewitz, you are going to get into a loving bar fight. If he was concerned about his family's safety he would have pulled over as soon as he saw dudes on bikes acting a goddamn fool and called the police/911. Instead he decided that because he has a big safe range rover he is going to dispense some justice on these "thugs" (read racism/classism) and didn't think his actions through. If you decide to confront a group of 100-200+ bikers (some wearing colors) you are probably going to be short some teeth or internal organs when it all settles out and to think that you would be safe is frankly to me, goddamn hilarious and sheltered beyond all belief. Violence isn't how we solve problems and if you want to assign some biker blame shine a light on the dude who decided he was the batman and tried ripping the dude out of his SUV because that is what scared the driver of the range into mowing down two guys who were just closing ranks to try and protect themselves on the highway from an aggressively lovely driver.

Nobody acted right in NYC on the highway yesterday but to say that the driver of the rover was in "danger" at any point in time before he was corralled into pulling over is some scared white ppl poo poo. I think the guy who went for the door should be tried for assault and the driver of the SUV should catch a manslaughter charge and an assault charge for escalating the situation until he boxed himself in a corner and had to murder one dude and cripple another for life because he was a loving tough guy until he totally loving wasn't.

This post from the GBS thread was too good to not share.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Holy poo poo, thank you for quoting that. The post itself is pretty hilarious but the next few posts

Beardless Riker posted:

This thread got exponentially dumb recently and it wasn't even my fault, gently caress that guy for stealing my thunder

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, sorry man, that guy went on some next level poo poo. You got outclassed.

:laffo:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
GBS, home to all Icon field armor owners.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

Do used tire places sell stuff like that cheap to people who swap them out for drifting competitions at tracks or something? Surely there are penalties if police catch you with tires like that on public roads, right?

Edit: apparently 1/16th inch is the legal minimum but I'm not sure if a cop would actually allow you to drive away on those tires or just write you a ticket.

Bald tires aren't a primary offense, meaning you need to be a fuckwad who gets pulled over AND acts like a dick before you'll get cited for an unsafe vehicle due to this.

I'm not saying that makes it OK, but you need to go pretty far into retardation to end up with a criminal citation for it.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

bolind posted:

This image is my in-laws Malibu. The back tires have no tread left at all. I berated them for a week before they finally went to the shop. They came back with the same tires. Apparently $100 bucks per tire was "a rip-off". They went somewhere else and got some used tires.

Did I mention my in-laws are idiots with enough money to do whatever the hell they want?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

He's from Lawrence? That's all they needed to say.

I heard a story about a firefighter from Lawrence. He had moved to Lawrence to take a job at the fire department there and was moving into his new house. When he and his friends took a break to get some lunch, someone broke into the house and stole a lot of what they'd already moved in. On their return to the house they discovered this and called the police. While they were on the phone with the police someone stole the moving truck (and the consequentially the rest of his stuff) right out of the driveway. He tried to get help through the fire department, the police usually look out for firemen, but he never got anything back.

Having grown up a few towns over from that poo poo hole I completely believe everything you said.

(I grew up in brahdfaaaaaaaaahd, the pretentious side of Haverhill. We were the ones fixing the family cars in the driveway and making the neighbors unhappy about their property values.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

argondamn posted:

This post from the GBS thread was too good to not share.

Bikers don't solve problems with violence but if you confront a biker you better be prepared to lose teeth and organs!!!! :downs:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

bolind posted:

Does this look like 1 side being bald to anyone else? It looks like the middle 2 tires in that picture are narrower than the outside 2. To me, it looks like:

[rear][front][front][rear]

Is it just me?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Probably lens distortion in the camera, I believe the ad said that the rears had 0% tread left and the fronts 80% so...

1-series are notorious for chewing fronts, so maybe some steel wire stuck out and their mechanic wouldn't let them go without getting new tires or something.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Foggy as poo poo today with <25 yard visibility in places. From what I saw a rough breakdown was 25% head lights on, 50% DRL, 25% no lights at all. So 75% or so of the traffic was invisible from behind and 25% was invisible from the front.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bolind posted:

Probably lens distortion in the camera, I believe the ad said that the rears had 0% tread left and the fronts 80% so...

1-series are notorious for chewing fronts, so maybe some steel wire stuck out and their mechanic wouldn't let them go without getting new tires or something.

Also 5'ers are notorious rear wheel chewers too.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Galler posted:

Foggy as poo poo today with <25 yard visibility in places. From what I saw a rough breakdown was 25% head lights on, 50% DRL, 25% no lights at all. So 75% or so of the traffic was invisible from behind and 25% was invisible from the front.

That's the thing with all these new-fangled electric cars on the road, less than a quarter of the few dozen cars i've seen use any lights. It's as if the drivers are instructed never to use any of their lights or blinkers whatsoever. Are electrical cars that finicky that turning on your lights during low-visibility drains that much precious juice from the batteries?

Last week at work i had to explain to two colleagues how to turn off the A/C function in a Mitsubishi Colt, it has 3 spin-buttons which you can all press for an additional function (A/C, Rear-window heater, close cabin filter), they wondered why it was so bloody cold in those cars, i told them next time to push the icicle icon.
These are people that have driven in those cars for the past year now, including winter. Yes, they were driving cars with A/C in winter wearing thick coats, only a few have overridden the A/C by also dialing up the temperature switch.

It's not just colleagues, one had a flat tire two weeks ago, drove it to a garage on-site, found out it's been rocking winter-tires since.... last winter, apparently our whole fleet of cars, vans and tow-trucks have been driving on winter tires the past spring & summer. Absolutely, Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I had a older F250/350 almost drive right into the back of my e30 yesterday on the freeway. I was cruising along with traffic in seattle rush hour in one of the few sections that is not completely stop and go, sitting in the right lane following the car in front of me at a reasonable distance(I tend to stay back a couple car lengths in traffic so I can keep it in gear and give people room to merge if they need to) when the truck comes flying right up my back bumper. After he continues to follow me way to close, I do what I normally do to tailgaters, and just lift off the throttle and slow down a bit, only a couple mph. rear end in a top hat proceeds to get so close to me that I thought he was just going to start pushing me down the road. All I could see in my mirror was grill and headlights. All while I am in the right lane, and the next lane over is moving slightly faster. After sitting right on my bumper for a while, he finally moves over and proceeds to follow the car in the next lane just as close.

I am used to people follow pretty close in traffic, but this guy was so close I was getting prepared to have him drive into me. Nevermind the fact that I highly doubt he could out brake me, I don't think he could even see my tail lights anymore since he was that loving close. I know seattle drivers are terrible, but this took it to a whole new level.