Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

der_rudi posted:

Just started watching Person of Interest, and although the first 8 episodes were not bad at all, I am wondering if this goes anywhere beyond a Crime-of-the-Week kinda of show. Those are not really my thing, and I'm already getting a bit bored by the show. Will there be more of a "bigger plot", or does it remain like this?

It gets a lot more serialised, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Started catching up on HIMYM since season 8 was added to Netflix. It's kinda eh.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I'm on season five of M*A*S*H right now and man, is it ever fantastic. The pacing, the chemistry, everything. I also love the OR talk, which is about as good of TV medicine as I've ever seen. You can find the Martinis and Medicine collection for under a hundred buck, and this show is easily worth a lot more.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

der_rudi posted:

Just started watching Person of Interest, and although the first 8 episodes were not bad at all, I am wondering if this goes anywhere beyond a Crime-of-the-Week kinda of show. Those are not really my thing, and I'm already getting a bit bored by the show. Will there be more of a "bigger plot", or does it remain like this?
There's definitely a bigger plot in the works regarding the Machine.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

der_rudi posted:

Absolutely keep going with it. I was just like you when I first started watching and it was only after making it through more than half of the first season that the show switched from ho-hum crime drama to one of my favorite shows currently in production. Here's a quote from the Person of Interest S2 thread's OP that lays things out and made me want to make the effort and power through the show's weak opening.

DivisionPost posted:

If you’re going to catch up on Person of Interest, it’s worth knowing that it does get off to a rough start. It starts with Jim Caviezel’s performance as Reese; Caviezel chooses to play the man as someone who’s mostly dead inside, only to have the fire inside ever... so... slowly... rekindled as he works for Finch. But in those first few episodes, he adapts a monotone that seems “off,” even when he’s shown as happy in earlier times. It wouldn’t be unfair to accuse the actor of being completely disengaged from the role, even if that’s supposed to be the point. It’s a fine line between portraying a completely disengaged character and turning in a completely disengaged performance, and Caviezel doesn’t quite get the hang of that at first.

Also problematic: Taraji P. Henson’s Detective Carter. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with her performance; she just got stuck with a thankless character and it took some time for the writers to figure out how to unfuck the situation and rejigger Carter into a more worthwhile character.

Finally, the writers didn’t show much serious inclination towards world-building until a quarter of the way through the season, so the start of the show might bore those who are looking for more than some cool stories.

However, slow but sure, everybody starts to step up their game as the series moves forward. Here’s a rough timeline of how things progress:

Ep. 1, “Pilot” - Caviezel’s airless, Henson’s boring, show doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere but Michael Emerson and Kevin Chapman are kind of awesome.
Ep. 4, “Cura Te Ipsum” - Caviezel reveals the first spark of life in his character at the end of the episode. The ending itself is pretty loving great.
Ep. 7, “Witness” - poo poo gets real; threads introduced in previous episodes start getting paid off here. Also at this point Caviezel should come off a LOT better in his role. Pick your virtue: either he fine-tuned his performance, the writers adapted to him, or you’re just used to his style.
Ep. 9, “Get Carter” - Not a GREAT episode, but groundwork is laid for Carter’s transformation into a less peripheral character; it starts paying off almost immediately.
Ep. 13, “Root Cause” - If you’re not on board after this, you probably never will be.

After "Root Cause," every episode is better than the one before it, culminating in an intense finale that beautifully wraps up the season and sets a very promising stage for the next one.

Seriously, stick with it!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The season 2 premiere introduces a new regular and he is easily the best character of the show. However, it is a show you can not just jump into as it has lots of serialized elements starting episode 7 with Elias.

der_rudi
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for the Person of Interest recommendations. Kept going and 15 episodes in, it certainly is getting a lot more intriguing.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MrGreenShirt posted:

Absolutely keep going with it. I was just like you when I first started watching and it was only after making it through more than half of the first season that the show switched from ho-hum crime drama to one of my favorite shows currently in production. Here's a quote from the Person of Interest S2 thread's OP that lays things out and made me want to make the effort and power through the show's weak opening.

Seriously, stick with it!

Dropped off around episode 3 but this sold me on continuing! :)

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eryxias posted:

Same with Breaking Bad, I started watching it with my wife but she never really got into it, so I put it on the back burner till just recently when I could watch it on my own, and holy hell it started getting really addicting(no pun intended) past season 2 for me. The first season was kind of a slog till the end, but I'm glad I kept with it.

Spoiler tagging a bit since I know a LOT of people are marathoning Breaking Bad now that the series is done.

I'm glad you said that it gets better because my girlfriend and I just blasted through season 1 and we aren't exactly thrilled. The mom from Deadwood and the son are insanely annoying (written not acted) and every time they break away from the meth or chemistry plot lines I get terribly bored. There have been moments that I've loved like mercury explosion, Tuco, the two bodies but over all it's a bit meh. Some of the subplots are horrible like Jessie selling his house just so it would create conflict later during the open house. Yawn.

In season 1, I noticed that the quality of the episode varies greatly with which director is in charge. Is Vince Gilligan just the creator or is he also the show runner?

Glad to hear it just keeps getting better. It's not bad; it's just not The Wire or Game of Thrones so far and that's what I was expecting out of the gate (get over it; all shows will be compared to The Wire and GoT from now on [even Sesame Street]). I'll stick with it because if things do amp up then I can see it moving in the right direction.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 3, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

SymfonyMan posted:

Spoiler tagging a bit since I know a LOT of people are marathoning Breaking Bad now that the series is done.

I'm glad you said that it gets better because my girlfriend and I just blasted through season 1 and we aren't exactly thrilled. The mom from Deadwood and the son are insanely annoying (written not acted) and every time they break away from the meth or chemistry plot lines I get terribly bored. There have been moments that I've loved like mercury explosion, Tuco, the two bodies but over all it's a bit meh. Some of the subplots are horrible like Jessie selling his house just so it would create conflict later during the open house. Yawn.

In season 1, I noticed that the quality of the episode varies greatly with which director is in charge. Is Vince Gilligan just the creator or is he also the show runner?

Glad to hear it just keeps getting better. It's not bad; it's just not The Wire or Game of Thrones so far and that's what I was expecting out of the gate (get over it; all shows will be compared to The Wire and GoT from now on [even Sesame Street]). I'll stick with it because if things do amp up then I can see it moving in the right direction.

Vince Gilligan is both. The first season is a bit slow (compared to the rest) but is integral to the overall story. Please chime in with your thoughts as you progress through the series. Skyler also gets more (and better) things to do as the show goes on. Also know, you're not wasting your time- the show ends satisfying. So much so I've never seen a thread almost unanimously agree "that finale was pretty much perfect".

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The first season of Breaking Bad is pretty blah, but it keeps gathering steam and becomes great. For some perspective, the first season has a 75% Metacritic score, but latest season boasts 99%, and one of the last episodes has a perfect 10/10 score on IMDB, from 35,000 votes. Not that it's necessarily the second coming of Christ, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be at least enjoyable.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 3, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Much like their cooks, the purity percentage starts off respectable and eventually just gets insanely high.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Breaking Bad is one of those unusual shows that just keeps building steam and nevers stops being consistently good, right through to its finale. The fourth season might be the best, but that's only because it's just that good. The fifth season didn't lose anything and it's easily one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen. This is the first completed show that I really think deserves to be mentioned alongside The Wire as one of the greatest TV shows ever aired, even if it isn't quite that good.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Currently blasting my way through Elementary since I heard it was decent. Really liking it so far even though I'm used to shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk, Americans, Hannibal etc. The dynamic between Sherlock and Watson is very well done, I really feel like their relationship is constantly evolving throughout this first season (currently on Ep 18 of 24). The "Crime of the Week" stuff is also pretty good if not the best, it's good to see a lot of Wire actors getting work at least :shobon:. Seriously, I've seen Bubbles, Prez and Slim Charles in the space of like two episodes.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2013

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I need some comedies to burn through. I like to keep poo poo on in the background while I work. I've seen every cartoon, I think. And pretty much everything else. Might just watch KOTH again for the fifth time.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Finished American Horror Story, season 1. Easily the dumbest show I've ever seen. Makes True Blood look like Shakespeare.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

A MIRACLE posted:

I need some comedies to burn through. I like to keep poo poo on in the background while I work. I've seen every cartoon, I think. And pretty much everything else. Might just watch KOTH again for the fifth time.

Two Guys and a Girl (and a pizza place) is a solid Friends clone with Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion. Takes about 20 episodes to find itself though, the first 13 episode season is kind of lame. I recommend it because somehow, despite some big stars, it's been forgotten. It's not on netflix, or DVD. So pirate away, guilt free. I can't think of a show that's been more overlooked than that one. There's like 80 episodes!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A MIRACLE posted:

If you like oddball stuff, then try Sledge Hammer!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bar Rescue for today and tomorrow, a cold has knocked me on my rear end. I'm into the second season, I'm enjoying it more than restaurant shows that follow the same formula.

It's also helped me to realize that I'll never be able to own/run a bar.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Professor Shark posted:

Bar Rescue for today and tomorrow, a cold has knocked me on my rear end. I'm into the second season, I'm enjoying it more than restaurant shows that follow the same formula.

It's also helped me to realize that I'll never be able to own/run a bar.

From the episodes I've seen, neither can most of the people on the show. I like the ones where the owner is a complete dick who refuses to go along with the changes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After a bit of a break, I binged through the last part of the fifth season of B5 (from about an episode or two before the death of Byron through to the end). Some good stuff, but very much a "tying up loose ends/here's how we got to the future scenes from season three" type of season. I might watch the movies, since they're part of the DVD set I have (along with Crusade, actually, which I will probably get around to eventually) but for now I've got a couple of Doctor Who DVDs I've had on the backburner for a while ("The Green Death", "Dragonfire" and "The Happiness Patrol").

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Two Guys and a Girl (and a pizza place) is a solid Friends clone with Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Fillion. Takes about 20 episodes to find itself though, the first 13 episode season is kind of lame. I recommend it because somehow, despite some big stars, it's been forgotten. It's not on netflix, or DVD. So pirate away, guilt free. I can't think of a show that's been more overlooked than that one. There's like 80 episodes!

Bizarrely, it's on DVD in the UK. I've seen it on sale in HMV a bunch of times.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Finished Orange is the New Black. It got back to being okay, and I'll probably watch the second season. It never got anywhere close to as good as the buzz around it would suggest, though.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just finished the first season of American Horror Story. I remember reading some of the first reactions to the pilot and it sounded pretty awful. Turns out it's pretty well put together, I'm usually not a huge fan of horror but it's creepy in a great way and I really liked how they built up the mythology.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished John Adams. I wasn't terribly familiar with the subject of American independence history, so that was interesting. Stannis Jefferson was fun. The last episode was useless, but overall it was alright.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah was great at the start but about half way through it really had my eyes glazing over, American independence wasn't something i was taught in school, so i found it interesting, but once the France stuff came in i tuned out a bit.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

From the episodes I've seen, neither can most of the people on the show. I like the ones where the owner is a complete dick who refuses to go along with the changes.

My favorite so far was the Pirate themed pub (staffed by man-children) which was sitting in the middle of all these huge corporate towers. It even had a secluded patio section where people could chill out and forget they were in the middle of the city.

Anyway, John (host) changed the theme from pirates to something that would appeal to professionals, but the owner hated it because she wanted to live out her fantasy while living in her parents basement with her man-child-husband and their daughter and actively sabotaged the operation. After the cameras were gone she changed it all back.

You knew it was coming the entire episode- she didn't seem interested in making money and mostly just wanted to hangout with her friends playing pirate, which her friends were happy to get paid for while she sunk $1 million into debt.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Finally getting around to The Shield. Just starting season 2 and digging it.

shagster104
Jan 3, 2012
I just started watching breaking bad a couple weeks ago. At the last 3 episodes of season 2 now and wow this is great show. I don't know why I waited this long to start watching.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

shagster104 posted:

I just started watching breaking bad a couple weeks ago. At the last 3 episodes of season 2 now and wow this is great show. I don't know why I waited this long to start watching.

Just you wait... :getin: As good season 2 is, the show really heats up in Season 3 and beyond. Try to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sons of Anarchy.

It's a loving trip seeing my hometown and old high school on TV. You know that fundraiser fair thing they had early in season 1? I loving hung out there everyday at lunch in high school. I wonder if the poo poo I sharpied on a bench is still there.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

skooma512 posted:

Sons of Anarchy.

It's a loving trip seeing my hometown and old high school on TV. You know that fundraiser fair thing they had early in season 1? I loving hung out there everyday at lunch in high school. I wonder if the poo poo I sharpied on a bench is still there.

Just out of curiosity, how far along are you with SoA? Or have you already watched all of it?

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW

CaptainHollywood posted:

Just you wait... :getin: As good season 2 is, the show really heats up in Season 3 and beyond. Try to avoid spoilers and enjoy the ride.
I always get excited when I hear people are watching the show for the first. God, Breaking Bad rules.

I watched the fifth season of Parks and Rec over the weekend. That show, even if it isn't as good as it was, always charms the heck outta me.

I can't decide what to watch next. A couple friends are pushing American Horror Story on me, which'd be good for this time of year, but I've been meaning to watch Homeland forever.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Finally getting around to The Shield. Just starting season 2 and digging it.

Enjoy the ride! I rank it up there along with Breaking Bad and The Wire. I cannot recommend it enough. Season 2 starts starts the story that the rest of the series is based around, although not until about the middle of season 2. You might want to check into the Shield thread and let them know you're watching for the first time, people in there will probably want to hear your reactions to certain scenes. Don't spoil it for yourself!

On an unrelated note, I'm watching Revolution. About 2/3 through the first season so far and enjoying it. It't not the best TV I've ever watched, but it's decent enough that I'll stick with it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Finished American Horror Story, season 1. Easily the dumbest show I've ever seen. Makes True Blood look like Shakespeare.

If Dylan McDermott naked, masturbating and crying in an attic is dumb, consider me Miles Davis.

I just went through all of Six Feet Under in about two weeks. That was an amazing show that would have had one of the more potent gutpunches I've ever seen were it not for a random Youtube search spoiling the climactic plot twist for me. Partway into the fifth season I made the mistake of looking up a song from the soundtrack and the first related video was "510 - Nate's Funeral." God drat it, internet.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ThaGrandCow posted:

Enjoy the ride! I rank it up there along with Breaking Bad and The Wire. I cannot recommend it enough. Season 2 starts starts the story that the rest of the series is based around, although not until about the middle of season 2. You might want to check into the Shield thread and let them know you're watching for the first time, people in there will probably want to hear your reactions to certain scenes. Don't spoil it for yourself!

Well, I'm on season 3 now, so I'm past that point. Are you referring to the money train. That would be interesting if it carried through the rest of the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. It's like herpes on the show. They can try to manage it but it never goes away.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Well, I'm on season 3 now, so I'm past that point. Are you referring to the money train. That would be interesting if it carried through the rest of the show.

I've typed out 3 different responses here, some with spoilers, some with hints. I think I'm just going to say nothing!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

To be entirely fair, the series pilot has ripple effects that persist through the finale as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I just binged through the first two seasons of Scrubs and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Does it hold up well in later seasons or should I prepare to be disappointed?