Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://ssdendurancetest.com/

So this is interesting. They're basically just trying to kill the SSDs as fast as possible, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gonkish posted:

http://ssdendurancetest.com/

So this is interesting. They're basically just trying to kill the SSDs as fast as possible, I guess?

There was a classic thread here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

Where they did just this, too.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The downside is that testing 60/64GB drives isn't terribly useful. They are less reliable than drives of normal capacity because error correction technologies (such as RAISE on Sandforce drives) aren't present, so you aren't getting an accurate picture of drive reliability in general. It definitely makes sense that you wouldn't want to destroy a more expensive drive just for testing, though. It also seems like the ssdendurancetest.com numbers are more detecting firmware blockmap and TRIM issues than actual NAND endurance, particularly on the results seen on the Kingston drive.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Just got my 840 EVO today. I searched the thread and I've seen a bunch of discussion about Samsung's Magician app and something called "RAPID Mode". Do I need the magician? Do I want RAPID mode?

I heard not to mess with the Magician's OS optimization stuff as it has some weird side effects?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
RAPID mode is the thing that uses 1GB of system memory as a cache to make your SATA600 SSD perform like a PCIe SSD. So yeah, it's a good thing. Don't do the OS optimization stuff in the SSD Magician software though, the tweaks are often pretty stupid/bad.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Alereon posted:

RAPID mode is the thing that uses 1GB of system memory as a cache to make your SATA600 SSD perform like a PCIe SSD. So yeah, it's a good thing. Don't do the OS optimization stuff in the SSD Magician software though, the tweaks are often pretty stupid/bad.

So after I enable RAPID can I uninstall the magician?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

StickFigs posted:

So after I enable RAPID can I uninstall the magician?
Leave it installed, it doesn't hurt anything and may occasionally be useful for things. Just don't leave it running, or run its OS optimization.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
A friend asked me what SSD she should get. It's for a higher end gaming rig. I told her the Evos are very popular right now and the Mushkin brand has done right by me in the past. Are the Evos proven to the point to where I should tell her not to even bother looking at anything else?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lovable Luciferian posted:

A friend asked me what SSD she should get. It's for a higher end gaming rig. I told her the Evos are very popular right now and the Mushkin brand has done right by me in the past. Are the Evos proven to the point to where I should tell her not to even bother looking at anything else?
So far I haven't seen any reports of issues with the 840 Evo. They've been out about two months so I wouldn't quite consider them "proven", but Samsung's reputation seems to be holding up. The 840 Evo is also such a compellingly better value than any other SSD that it's hard to recommend anything else.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'm keeping my eye on 512GB+ SSDs to reach comfortable levels, and it seems that the EVO leads in price. Here's a 1TB for something that costs less than top-end gaming video cards now: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=062502.
Really looking forward to replacing all my 1, 2, or 3TB spindles with SSDs, one day.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The 512Gb Evo price has just dropped by almost 10% in Australia in the last week, from $410 to $375 so its definitely a popular choice. With the 1Tb drive at $750, which is less than twice the price, the larger drives are going to become viable for ordinary data storage very quickly.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dud root posted:

The 512Gb Evo price... $375 so its definitely a popular choice. With the 1Tb drive at $750, which is less than twice the price

375×2 = 750, or do you mean less than the original price?

Evo is definitely heating up the SSD market, since nobody really has a decent answer to it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

375×2 = 750, or do you mean less than the original price?

Yes.. original :ninja:

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm trying to shrink my Windows 7 system partition so I can clone my old HDD to my new, smaller SSD. I'm trying to do it from Disk Management in Windows but it keeps finding unmoveable files and I keep fixing them but I'm afraid I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.

Is there a third party solution for doing this without loving up my Windows? I saw GParted but part of that involves loving up Windows and having to use a Windows DVD which I don't want to do.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

StickFigs posted:

I'm trying to shrink my Windows 7 system partition so I can clone my old HDD to my new, smaller SSD. I'm trying to do it from Disk Management in Windows but it keeps finding unmoveable files and I keep fixing them but I'm afraid I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.

Is there a third party solution for doing this without loving up my Windows? I saw GParted but part of that involves loving up Windows and having to use a Windows DVD which I don't want to do.

I've used GParted a lot. It's never hosed up Windows for me.

It's what I used for all of my non-Mac SSD setups.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Xenomorph posted:

I've used GParted a lot. It's never hosed up Windows for me.

It's what I used for all of my non-Mac SSD setups.

This page here suggests it will gently caress up Vista at least, I'm assuming the same for Windows 7.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 500GB Samsung EVO as my systerm drive and two 3TB WD Reds in RAID1 for storage. Samsung Magician complains that my SSD isn't running in AHCI mode which is correct since obviously the controller is in RAID mode. Is this a thing I should care about? And if so, what do I do about it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tunga posted:

I have a 500GB Samsung EVO as my systerm drive and two 3TB WD Reds in RAID1 for storage. Samsung Magician complains that my SSD isn't running in AHCI mode which is correct since obviously the controller is in RAID mode. Is this a thing I should care about? And if so, what do I do about it?
This is not correct, while TRIM doesn't work on drives that are part of a RAID array, TRIM will work for drives NOT part of an array even if an array exists. Setting the controller to RAID is the same as setting it to AHCI, you just also enable the RAID functionality. Confirm that you have the SSD connected to the correct SATA port, and if you need further assistance, what motherboard do you have and what port do you have your SSD connected to?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, that was my understanding, RAID is just AHCI with RAID support.

Windows reports that TRIM is enabled and performs a manual TRIM ("optimize") on demand just fine.

I'm using an Asus Maximus VI Impact (Z87) so all four SATA ports are on the onboard controller.

Possibly it's just Magician being dumb.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Two questions:

1. I'm looking at upgrading the mSATA SSD in my fianceé's ultrabook. It's 120GB so I'd want to go at least 240GB. Is the Mushkin Direct Atlas Deluxe still the best choice? The other ones I'm seeing are Lite On Plextor M5M. Are there any other mSATA releases expected soon, or is the price difference between SATA and mSATA expected to close at all in the near future?

2. I put an SSD in my Chromebook, it's way more than I'll never need. I'm chroot-ing into Ubuntu from time to time. What I'm wondering is if ChromeOS supports TRIM. I can't seem to find this anywhere. If not, what should I be doing to preserve its life?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

SurgicalOntologist posted:

1. I'm looking at upgrading the mSATA SSD in my fianceé's ultrabook. It's 120GB so I'd want to go at least 240GB. Is the Mushkin Direct Atlas Deluxe still the best choice? The othero nes I'm seeing are Lite On Plextor M5M. Are there any other mSATA releases expected soon, or is the price difference between SATA and mSATA expected to close at all in the near future?
The Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Deluxe is your best bet, do get the Deluxe (-DX) version if you can afford it for the faster memory. Since mSATA has been replaced with NGFF/M.2 I wouldn't necessarily expect new or less expensive options.

quote:

2. I put an SSD in my Chromebook, it's way more than I'll never need. I'm chroot-ing into Ubuntu from time to time. What I'm wondering is if ChromeOS supports TRIM. I can't seem to find this anywhere. If not, what should I be doing to preserve its life?
No, it does not support TRIM. There are plans to add discard support like on Android, which does a periodic TRIM pass when the system is idle rather than sending TRIM commands when files are deleted. I think you should be able to manually trigger a discard pass now if you have root (again, like Android), or you could run a TRIM pass under Linux. That said, general guidance of just partitioning the drive down to 75-80% remains your best choice.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Alereon posted:

No, it does not support TRIM. There are plans to add discard support like on Android, which does a periodic TRIM pass when the system is idle rather than sending TRIM commands when files are deleted. I think you should be able to manually trigger a discard pass now if you have root (again, like Android), or you could run a TRIM pass under Linux. That said, general guidance of just partitioning the drive down to 75-80% remains your best choice.

Oh, so if I have TRIM (e.g. on my desktop) it's not necessary to leave 20-25% un-partitioned?

Thanks.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Oh, so if I have TRIM (e.g. on my desktop) it's not necessary to leave 20-25% un-partitioned?
Right, you need to leave the space FREE, but if TRIM is working there isn't much benefit to having it unpartitioned versus just free.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Alereon posted:

Right, you need to leave the space FREE, but if TRIM is working there isn't much benefit to having it unpartitioned versus just free.

OK thanks I get it. There's also not much disadvantage either, right? Relatedly, in my searching I just discovered that Ubuntu 13.04 requires TRIM to be set up manually. If I'm already leaving 25% unpartitioned, should I bother? Or will it provide some extra advantage? It gets complicated because there's also two NTFS partitions which Ubuntu can't TRIM, and I rarely boot into Windows.

E: \/ Thanks for all your help!

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 2, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

OK thanks I get it. There's also not much disadvantage either, right? Relatedly, in my searching I just discovered that Ubuntu 13.04 requires TRIM to be set up manually. If I'm already leaving 25% unpartitioned, should I bother? Or will it provide some extra advantage? It gets complicated because there's also two NTFS partitions which Ubuntu can't TRIM, and I rarely boot into Windows.
I'd get TRIM working if you can, but leaving the space unpartitioned should prevent the drive from getting into a very low-performance state.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

StickFigs posted:

This page here suggests it will gently caress up Vista at least, I'm assuming the same for Windows 7.

That "guide" is bad on multiple levels.

The error shown in the Windows screenshot looks like one that happens when you delete a partition. Deleting a recovery or boot partition requires you to use Windows repair. Not resizing a partition. Some of the commenters mentioned that they didn't need to boot their Windows CD.

The guide is also from 2007. GParted has had about 500 updates since then. If there was some quirky flaw with the 2007 GParted, I'm sure it's been fixed by now.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

StickFigs posted:

I used gparted last year to shrink my Windows partition so I could get it on my SanDisk Extreme. Zero total problems in the process.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've got a Mushkin Chronos Enhanced that was running slow because I running it at 90-95% full for a long period of time. I'm sure that TRIM is working so it should recover, but I want to make sure that I correctly understand over-provisioning. If I go ahead and partition off 20% of the drive into a blank, unformatted partition them I'm free to fill up the other partition to 99% without problems and without hurting the SSD? Or do I just need to learn to force myself to keep 20% free no matter what in one big partition?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Weinertron posted:

I've got a Mushkin Chronos Enhanced that was running slow because I running it at 90-95% full for a long period of time. I'm sure that TRIM is working so it should recover, but I want to make sure that I correctly understand over-provisioning. If I go ahead and partition off 20% of the drive into a blank, unformatted partition them I'm free to fill up the other partition to 99% without problems and without hurting the SSD? Or do I just need to learn to force myself to keep 20% free no matter what in one big partition?
Just leave 20% free on one big partition, unless you are worried you might not remember to do this for some reason, then partition the drive down by 20%. There are some filesystem in-efficiencies that come from running a very full partition, so I think the big partition with free space method is best. You could always mix & match by partitioning down by ~12GB and keeping at least 12GB free on the remaining partition.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ordered my first SSD today, an 840 EVO 120GB. We don't use our computer (Core 2 duo, 4GB) a whole lot anymore, but I think the main drive is going out because it's unbearably slow. Like pentium 4/256MB loaded up with spyware slow logging into windows.

Excited for a fresh install + SSD. I will be hitting warp drive. I have SSDs in my work laptop/PC, they are awesome.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
The Mushkin Enhanced Atlas and Chronos are nearly the same price on Newegg, is there any reason I should prefer one over the other for installing into a Thinkpad T430 as the boot drive?

Edit:

Right, sorry I didn't say that originally. Yes, my question is "Which is a better choice: mSATA or 2.5 SATA for the laptop?"

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 3, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

P.N.T.M. posted:

The Mushkin Enhanced Atlas and Chronos are nearly the same price on Newegg, is there any reason I should prefer one over the other for installing into a Thinkpad T430 as the boot drive?

The Atlas is mSATA and the Chronos is 2.5" SATA

If you use the mSATA drive you can keep the spinning HD that comes with your laptop to keep music/videos on.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I finally got a new Windows 7 install on my new Samsung 840 EVO.

I know that the Samsung Magician sucks for OS optimizations, so are there any configuration changes I should be making manually? Like pagefile settings or turn off write caching? There are a lot of guides on Google about these kind of things but I don't exactly trust them to be useful configurations and I don't know what ones Windows may have already configured when it detects a SSD.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

StickFigs posted:

There are a lot of guides on Google about these kind of things but I don't exactly trust them to be useful configurations and I don't know what ones Windows may have already configured when it detects a SSD.

All you have to do is run Windows experience index and turn off hibernate.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

MikusR posted:

All you have to do is run Windows experience index and turn off hibernate.

Ok I did those. I keep seeing that I should make sure the SSD always has at least 20% of space left. Is there a way to tell Windows to reserve 50gb so I don't have to watch it manually?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Shrink the partition in Disk Management.

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978
So last night I finally rebuilt my rig with a Haswell quad core i5. Was worried that I would still get crappy performance out of my 840 pro since I used a H81 chipset (which apparently doesn't support Intel RST).

That said, I needn't have worried. loving rig is a screamer now. As much as I've tried to remain open to AMD, it seems clear now that their chipset department is as far behind Intel as their CPU division is.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Factory Factory posted:

Shrink the partition in Disk Management.

Would that work? Can the disk use the space for performance stuff if it's unallocated?

EDIT: In the Samsung Magician I see "Over Provisioning", is that the same thing as what I'm trying to do? This is suggesting 10% rather than 20% though.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yes, it would work. Yes, it's the same thing. Either percentage is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Psimitry posted:

So last night I finally rebuilt my rig with a Haswell quad core i5. Was worried that I would still get crappy performance out of my 840 pro since I used a H81 chipset (which apparently doesn't support Intel RST).
All Intel chipsets support RST, Rapid Storage Technologies, which is Intel's AHCI controller driver. That chipset doesn't support SRT, Smart Response Technology, which is Intel's SSD caching technology. SRT is only used for using a small SSD (<64GB) to make a larger HDD not so slow.

• Locked thread