Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Aurain posted:

Shawn Michaels is over there stomping, better stand up and stick my chin out.
If suspension of disbelief is an issue for you, I'm not really sure how you could watch any wrestling ever.

a black ring canvas literally prevents him from watching wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

jscolon2.0 posted:

If that was true, people would like it more. It pretty much always look awkward and terrible to setup. It doesn't have the out-of-no-where aspect that a good finisher should have.

I've seen him hit it on Ezekiel Jackson in less than a second while he was ECW champ. The move is as difficult to hit as Christian wants it to be, given the context of the match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Duh, clearly the heart punch doesn't work unless you tuck the other guy's arm behind the back of his head.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The arm-pinning motion of the heart punch is necessary to over-extend the pectoral muscles and allow unrestricted access to the thoracic cavity, and to incapacitate the opponent so as to prevent them from slipping, dodging, or otherwise nullifying the effects of the punch. Furthermore, supporting the upper body provides a solid striking surface, not unlike a karate black belt chopping a brick in two. :pseudo:

I swear, if you're not going to take our sport seriously...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On that note, I'm surprised someone hasn't done a heart punch where the opponent is on the ground first. You could get really theatrical with it, shaking your fist like the power of Bruce Lee's ghost is about to punch through the other guy's chest.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

On that note, I'm surprised someone hasn't done a heart punch where the opponent is on the ground first. You could get really theatrical with it, shaking your fist like the power of Bruce Lee's ghost is about to punch through the other guy's chest.

that's more or less what Cena does

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WAIT WHAT

Ignore this :stare:

Basically a year ago I left a comment on that video saying the audio needed to be synced with the video again, and then I actually look and it is. What the gently caress?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 1, 2013

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

WAIT WHAT

Ignore this :stare:

Basically a year ago I left a comment on that video saying the audio needed to be synced with the video again, and then I actually look and it is. What the gently caress?

I remember having this problem maybe even around the same time. Which browser are you using? I thought I was going crazy because I would watch videos that were perfectly synced just a day earlier and then when I was watching them again they were incredibly out of sync for no reason. It just kinda fixed itself after a while and has never happened again since. It was either a Firefox or a YouTube problem, but you're definitely not going insane :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

abraxas posted:

I remember having this problem maybe even around the same time. Which browser are you using? I thought I was going crazy because I would watch videos that were perfectly synced just a day earlier and then when I was watching them again they were incredibly out of sync for no reason. It just kinda fixed itself after a while and has never happened again since. It was either a Firefox or a YouTube problem, but you're definitely not going insane :shobon:

I use Firefox so maybe that was it. Thank God I'm not going nuts.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I use Firefox so maybe that was it. Thank God I'm not going nuts.

No, you're not going insane. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk ARE the top faces in the WWE right now, this isn't a joke.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

No discussion of wildly gay promos would be complete without this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbsRtuoIDSc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Aurain posted:

Shawn Michaels is over there stomping, better stand up and stick my chin out.
If suspension of disbelief is an issue for you, I'm not really sure how you could watch any wrestling ever.
I also that is stupid, yes. Along with the 619 setup,

I can forgive them all, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're stupid.

And the MMA comparison would only work if wrestlers ever actually guarded. They land full-on, wind-up punches to the head in almost every match. Why is Big Show the only guy who's allowed to close his fist and knock a guy out?

C'mon, guys. We all know it's all in good fun, but you can't blame me for thinking some things in wrestling are a little stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I also that is stupid, yes. Along with the 619 setup,

I can forgive them all, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're stupid.

And the MMA comparison would only work if wrestlers ever actually guarded. They land full-on, wind-up punches to the head in almost every match. Why is Big Show the only guy who's allowed to close his fist and knock a guy out?

C'mon, guys. We all know it's all in good fun, but you can't blame me for thinking some things in wrestling are a little stupid.

The other guys aren't as big and don't have boxing experience. As for the in wrestling reason why these moves aren't done at moment one: They are blocked, ducked or countered. Just like any other finisher. Sheamus doesn't always hit the Brogue kick. HBK almost never hits SCM on his first try. Austin's stunner gets countered. They hit it later on because their opponent is worn down. Same reason a submission works after wearing a guy down when it wouldn't earlier even though submission holds do not work that way in real life. By your logic nearly everything in wrestling is a "little stupid" so I have no idea why you care. It is a system of fake fighting that cannot work in real life.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LividLiquid posted:

It doesn't matter if something is lethal in real life if it looks stupid and suspends believability. If a punch to the heart is a workable finisher, why in the hell wouldn't everybody go for one every time their opponent leaves his chest open?

I have the same problem with the knockout punch and the brogue kick.

Well, aren't they focusing on theatrics first and realism second? You still want moves that can be seen and get a reaction from everyone in the arena. Sweet Chin Music has a build-up and delivery to work the crowd, and it's easy to see from the rafters.

Besides: If I've spent fifteen minutes chasing Shawn Michaels around a ring, I'm probably not going to have the strength to come up with a super-technical counter for his finisher. I'm probably going to have just enough time to clench my teeth before getting KO'd.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

The other guys aren't as big and don't have boxing experience. As for the in wrestling reason why these moves aren't done at moment one: They are blocked, ducked or countered. Just like any other finisher. Sheamus doesn't always hit the Brogue kick. HBK almost never hits SCM on his first try. Austin's stunner gets countered. They hit it later on because their opponent is worn down. Same reason a submission works after wearing a guy down when it wouldn't earlier even though submission holds do not work that way in real life. By your logic nearly everything in wrestling is a "little stupid" so I have no idea why you care. It is a system of fake fighting that cannot work in real life.

I can accept all of that, the thing that bothers me most is when a fireman's carry or some other setup magically incapacitates an opponent who hasn't been worn down nearly enough to accept it. Like when Cena does the AA or Punk sets up for the GTS, they'll often showboat a little bit or make sure they spin to face the hard camera, and a lot of that time their opponent is just :effort: when they could at least be thrashing wildly to try and get out of it.

That's why those moves are finishers, and sometimes they're done too early for their opponents to be believably worn out. "Oh no, Triple H put me in a Pedigree position suddenly during this promo that wasn't part of a match at all, I'd better just take it instead of struggling!" Same with chokeslams, powerbombs, Rock Bottom, etc. At least the Stunner or RKO can hit you out of nowhere, but I always hate the "I'm suddenly helpless!" spot a lot of people do.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Like when Cena does the AA or Punk sets up for the GTS, they'll often showboat a little bit or make sure they spin to face the hard camera, and a lot of that time their opponent is just :effort: when they could at least be thrashing wildly to try and get out of it.

Kennedy used to do this and it pissed the boys off as he'd end up legit elbowing/kneeing them as he thrashed and usually his squirming would mess up the move and make it look shittier, as I recall.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldskool posted:

Kennedy used to do this and it pissed the boys off as he'd end up legit elbowing/kneeing them as he thrashed and usually his squirming would mess up the move and make it look shittier, as I recall.

Not just that but squirming like that makes it more difficult for the move to be delivered and increases the injury risk.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MassRafTer posted:

Not just that but squirming like that makes it more difficult for the move to be delivered and increases the injury risk.

Ken made a move unsafe and possibly injuring someone huh? Stop the loving presses. I'm reminded of a story I think on the Rise and Fall of ECW or in Foley's first book about a chair shot, got the chair and it was the not-safe side and they still did the spot. And chairs are designed to be used one way only, so as to minimize injury, but they didn't just change sides because "It would look bad."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The moral of this and every other story: Ken Anderson is quite bad at wrestling and once upon a time a very vocal part of WH2K thought he was going to be The Guy.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

The moral of this and every other story: Ken Anderson is quite bad at wrestling and once upon a time a very vocal part of WH2K thought he was going to be The Guy.

Not just WH2K but pretty much everyone in wrestling who didn't actually have to wrestle him.

Has anyone ever gone to the last house show before a PPV? I've got tickets to the house show in Rochester on Saturday and from brief research it seems split between "You see all the non-gimmick PPV matches a night early" and "You see a bunch of meaningless, overly-precautious half-assed matches because nobody wants to get hurt or give something away".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Good wrestler or bad, he absolutely was going to be The Guy if they were positioning him as Vince's kayfabe son.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Good wrestler or bad, he absolutely was going to be The Guy if they were positioning him as Vince's kayfabe son.

They pushed him so loving hard, and he hosed it up every loving time. To the point where everyone was pretty much "No, I don't want to work with him." I mean Orton spaz's out at injuries enough because of his shoulders, Ken should really have known better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aurain posted:

Suspension of disbelief has settings between "zero" and "infinite," and wrestling falls somewhere along that spectrum depending on whether you're watching RINGS, WWE, NJPW, or Chikara.

Some indie guy should just beat dudes with a punch and call it the Flaz Gaz Heat Ray.

LividLiquid posted:

It doesn't matter if something is lethal in real life if it looks stupid and suspends believability. If a punch to the heart is a workable finisher, why in the hell wouldn't everybody go for one every time their opponent leaves his chest open?

I have the same problem with the knockout punch and the brogue kick.
By the same token, I don't know why people make straight-across comparisons between a right cross and a stepping side kick; I don't know why I even need to explain the difference.

Basic moves jumped up to finishers almost always end up sucking poo poo. If your finisher is going to be a “standard” move, you have to be good at it, you have to do it in a special way, and you’d better hit it right every single time. Bradshaw's clothesline, Test's boot, Big Show's punch--all of them were impressive at first, then they used it in lazy spots and they sucked poo poo. Unless your name rhymes with Han Stansen or your finisher rhymes with Mainraker, you probably shouldn't use a standard lariat as your finisher.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

flashy_mcflash posted:

They also had him penciled in for a year long Wrestlemania storyline since they were doing a "called shot" MITB story before one of his injuries.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Except for Cena, no face/heel has ever cashed in on another face/heel right?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

oldpainless posted:

Daniel Bryan was still a face when he cashed in on Big Show.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Halloween Jack posted:

Suspension of disbelief has settings between "zero" and "infinite," and wrestling falls somewhere along that spectrum depending on whether you're watching RINGS, WWE, NJPW, or Chikara.

Some indie guy should just beat dudes with a punch and call it the Flaz Gaz Heat Ray.

By the same token, I don't know why people make straight-across comparisons between a right cross and a stepping side kick; I don't know why I even need to explain the difference.

Basic moves jumped up to finishers almost always end up sucking poo poo. If your finisher is going to be a “standard” move, you have to be good at it, you have to do it in a special way, and you’d better hit it right every single time. Bradshaw's clothesline, Test's boot, Big Show's punch--all of them were impressive at first, then they used it in lazy spots and they sucked poo poo. Unless your name rhymes with Han Stansen or your finisher rhymes with Mainraker, you probably shouldn't use a standard lariat as your finisher.

Yeah, when JBL was doing the run-the-ropes-perpendicular-to-his-opponent and just loving flattening dudes with his clothesline, it worked really well. Look at the way Slater sold it at RAW1000; it looked like that kid had been cleft in twain. But a lot of the time, especially at the end of his run, he would just hit it with no setup and sometimes without even doing a runup at all, and it was pretty lovely.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

oldpainless posted:

Swagger cashed in on Jericho, RVD on Cena, Punk on Hardy (pre turn).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skinty McEdger posted:

Swagger cashed in on Jericho, RVD on Cena, Punk on Hardy (pre turn).

Bard Maddox posted:

Daniel Bryan was still a face when he cashed in on Big Show.

Thanks.

E: for costing me money.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Other than "It's 1993, so it must be time to do coke", has there ever been an explanation behind having references to Survivor Series used in the Wrestlemania Anthem?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Other than "It's 1993, so it must be time to do coke", has there ever been an explanation behind having references to Survivor Series used in the Wrestlemania Anthem?

Simon Cowell is an idiot. Thats basically the entire explination for the entire wrestlemania album.

To expand, he and the other people who wrote the album did so with no knowledge of wrestling and had a crib sheet of references they had to throw in. So not knowing anything about the product they just made up things as they went along and threw in samples. Bret Hart for example has a love song because his surname sounds like heart.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

MassRafTer posted:

However, when guys are up for the G2S or teh AA and have a look of fear or scream "no, nooo" and stuff-- that's a nice extra little touch that adds to a move, I feel.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SirDippingSauce posted:

However, when guys are up for the G2S or teh AA and have a look of fear or scream "no, nooo" and stuff-- that's a nice extra little touch that adds to a move, I feel.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Simon Cowell is an idiot. Thats basically the entire explination for the entire wrestlemania album.

To expand, he and the other people who wrote the album did so with no knowledge of wrestling and had a crib sheet of references they had to throw in. So not knowing anything about the product they just made up things as they went along and threw in samples. Bret Hart for example has a love song because his surname sounds like heart.

Hold the phone, if you're badmouthing Macho Man's "Speaking From the Heart", then get off my plane. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-H0MTEzpHY

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
When/why are both tag team partners allowed to be in the ring at the same time? If I am not supposed to be thinking about the rules this hard, fine, but this is one thing I can't seem to figure out by inference.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

whatsabattle posted:

Hold the phone, if you're badmouthing Macho Man's "Speaking From the Heart", then get off my plane. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-H0MTEzpHY

"Match-o" Man makes me laugh every time. That's how you know it was Brit produced.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

When/why are both tag team partners allowed to be in the ring at the same time? If I am not supposed to be thinking about the rules this hard, fine, but this is one thing I can't seem to figure out by inference.

Basically when they tag, they have a 5 count. Broken up pins are just ignored largely, as long as the illegal man just fucks off afterwards.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 2, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Both tag partners are legally allowed in the ring for five seconds after a tag. In theory it is so the partner who is tagging out has time to leave the ring. In WWE they are also allowed one save, after that saves are a DQ but this is never talked about on TV.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRafTer posted:

Both tag partners are legally allowed in the ring for five seconds after a tag. In theory it is so the partner who is tagging out has time to leave the ring. In WWE they are also allowed one save, after that saves are a DQ but this is never talked about on TV.

Never heard of the "allowed one save" thing. I just thought it was part of a larger gradual decline of most tag team rules, ie holding the little rope when you make a tag, etc...

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

"Hmm. This isn't my chair."

Alternately:

CM Punk's rarely seen Mortal Kombat Raiden Dive finisher.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega
Rey takes the GTS better than anyone. Punk throws him so high and he waves his arms in circles on the way down.

And sometimes he even breaks his nose to sell the move so loving hard.