Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Season Pass announced.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/09/26/batman-arkham-origins-season-pass-announced

My bet is that the secret campaign is tied into the next-gen sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I want that Gotham by Gaslight skin, but I have no money to buy the game, let alone a season pass. :(

What's the fourth skin in the Infinite Earths pack? It looks really familiar.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

I want that Gotham by Gaslight skin, but I have no money to buy the game, let alone a season pass. :(

What's the fourth skin in the Infinite Earths pack? It looks really familiar.
Has anyone broken down all the skins? I can barely make out any of them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

redbackground posted:

Batmankoff spotted in the New Millenium pack.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

redbackground posted:

The New Millenium Skins are

- Golden Age Batman
- Red Son Batman
- Looks like New 52 Batman
- Not sure
- Blackest Night
- This Robin looks like Tim Drake with the cape that looks like it's feathered.

I don't recognize any of the Infinite Earths skins but apparently the first one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman the third one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman's replacement and the 4th one kinda looks like Batman during the Rock of Ages storyline.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Commissar Ken posted:

I don't recognize any of the Infinite Earths skins but apparently the first one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman the third one is New 52 Earth 2 Batman's replacement and the 4th one kinda looks like Batman during the Rock of Ages storyline.

The first Infinite Earths looks a bit like Kingdom Come Batman but without large mechanical wings.

I'm pretty sure the yellow Bats is the one from Thrillkiller.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 27, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Commissar Ken posted:

The New Millenium Skins are

- Golden Age Batman
- Red Son Batman
- Looks like New 52 Batman
- Not sure
- Blackest Night
- This Robin looks like Tim Drake with the cape that looks like it's feathered.

I think the third New Millenium one might actually finally be The Dark Knight suit. Either that or it's the Batman Live suit. Fourth one looks like a modified Batman Inc suit without the yellow and black crest or it's the New 52 suit.

EDIT: As for Robin, the new Millenium one can't be Tim Drake because the R logo is wrong. Looks like it's Jason Todd. If anything, the Infinite Earths Robin looks to be Tim Drake... has the flowy-bit to the front of the cape and the latch-buttons or whatever they are.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 27, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fuzz posted:

This would be cool but way too frustrating for the average gamer, so it'll probably never happen.

Kind of a side-note but when I I started Arkham City I did it on hard mode without ever playing Asylum and it was pretty brutally hard, and I loved it. I died multiple times on the fight where you're controlling Catwoman before you even get to see the opening credits. Not a lot of games include a really nasty hard mode accessible straight off the bat but I hope Origins keeps it up

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

Kind of a side-note but when I I started Arkham City I did it on hard mode without ever playing Asylum and it was pretty brutally hard, and I loved it. I died multiple times on the fight where you're controlling Catwoman before you even get to see the opening credits. Not a lot of games include a really nasty hard mode accessible straight off the bat but I hope Origins keeps it up

It was really a shame between AA and AC they moved not having counter alerts from hard mode to new game plus.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

elf help book posted:

It was really a shame between AA and AC they moved not having counter alerts from hard mode to new game plus.
It was probably because NG+ meant you played the game before, and they used the counter alerts for QTE moments, which if they didn't exist/you didn't know about, you'd probably sit there for a while wondering when the cutscene was gonna end (yeah the button prompt was there I guess, dunno why they didn't just leave it at that).

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
According to this Slickdeals thread, AC GOTY is $6. GOTY includes Catwoman, Nightwing, Robin, Harley Quinn's Revenge, Challenge Maps, and the extra skins.

I own AC, but only have Nightwing, Robin, Challenge Maps, and the Skin Pack. Is it worth it just buying this to finish up everything?

If I add that key to my account, will it just upgrade my existing AC game, or will it put a new entry into my game list?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Siroc posted:

According to this Slickdeals thread, AC GOTY is $6. GOTY includes Catwoman, Nightwing, Robin, Harley Quinn's Revenge, Challenge Maps, and the extra skins.

I own AC, but only have Nightwing, Robin, Challenge Maps, and the Skin Pack. Is it worth it just buying this to finish up everything?

If I add that key to my account, will it just upgrade my existing AC game, or will it put a new entry into my game list?

how do you not have Catwoman on the PC version?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I forgot- I probably do. I was just listing the DLC content if I right click on the game on steam, go to DLC, and view the DLC list attached.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was posted over in the Steam thread - GreenManGaming has a 25% off voucher for this weekend for Arkham: Origins - GMG25-W38UG-WZTBY

That was enough to tilt me into taking the gamble, the game is looking enough like it's at least not DETRACTING from what made Asylum and City so much fun to play, and I'd honestly be satisfied with a game that is essentially more of the same with a different story for variety. If it turns out to be more than that/better than that, then even better!

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This was posted over in the Steam thread - GreenManGaming has a 25% off voucher for this weekend for Arkham: Origins - GMG25-W38UG-WZTBY

That was enough to tilt me into taking the gamble, the game is looking enough like it's at least not DETRACTING from what made Asylum and City so much fun to play, and I'd honestly be satisfied with a game that is essentially more of the same with a different story for variety. If it turns out to be more than that/better than that, then even better!

That's pretty much exactly what i'm gunning for. I don't expect a new team to make something amazing out of a preexisting setup. That and I had enough fun with the Arkham games that i'd gladly take 'some more of the same' with different story. That being said i've been wrong on that before (Bioshock 2)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

That's a really good price and it just made me spring for it, even though I thought City was very disappointing and I didn't cherish the idea of a prequel.

They've got a really good set of fundamentals in place, so I assume it'll at least be a quality product. I just hope it's a more interesting game than City.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
God dammit, going to get the Season Pass because I love having lots of outfit options in my superhero games. Why did I read comics in the 90s???

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
God fuckin damnittttaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhh multiplayer achievments gently caress

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

That's pretty much exactly what i'm gunning for. I don't expect a new team to make something amazing out of a preexisting setup. That and I had enough fun with the Arkham games that i'd gladly take 'some more of the same' with different story. That being said i've been wrong on that before (Bioshock 2)

Bioshock 2 was a better game with a worse story.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Zsinjeh posted:

I don't want to have to rely on matchmaking or pubbies to get 100% in an Arkham game :argh: Also gently caress if I can never get those achievments months later when multiplayer is dead.

Batman never dies

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

just get two friends to log on with you (unless the server is down) and grind them out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Batman never dies

Batman never sits, get it right.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ImpAtom posted:

Batman never sits, get it right.

At the Batcomputer. In non-Tumbler Batmobiles.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Bioshock 2 was a better game with a worse story.

Pretty much, worse characters too. My whole reasoning behind going 'I was wrong wanting more of the same out of Bioshock' was I loved the 1st and wanted more of the same. Well we got more of Rapture and it had better mechanics just the story and characters weren't near as bombastic as the 1st and I got bored real quick. I have a feeling more of the same with Arkham as long as it's not ALL the same villain lineup will fair better with me.

Church
Jul 1, 2005

http://batman-news.com/2013/10/01/20-minute-batman-arkham-origins-preview-shows-batcave-gcpd-video/

20 minutes of new footage, mostly focusing on the GCPD and the Batcave (which looks pretty cool to be honest).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Church posted:

http://batman-news.com/2013/10/01/20-minute-batman-arkham-origins-preview-shows-batcave-gcpd-video/

20 minutes of new footage, mostly focusing on the GCPD and the Batcave (which looks pretty cool to be honest).
So it looks like I'll be able to lay waste to Branden at some point, which I am pumped for. He's a right jerk!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And they revealed the seventh assassin tonight: The Electrocutioner (Lester Buchinsky). Batman will be getting his Shock Gloves from him.

First one I was unfamiliar with.

Additionally, Troy Baker reads some lines from the Killing Joke: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/13/nycc-new-batman-arkham-origins-villain

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 13, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Totally an out of left field choice but an interesting power set, so I'm onboard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh, and there's a trailer, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8P550ipB5s

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I'm loving how this game is becoming more like Metal Gear Solid 3 with every new trailer.

We already have a group of assassins with crazy abilities, among them:

* the best sniper in the world
* a lunatic wielding a flamethrower who loves screaming
* a woman who is a master of physical combat and has ties to snakes
* a foreign guy who can punch people with electricity

All we need is someone to be The Pain. xD

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 13, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Okay, Troy Baker does a pretty good Joker.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fuzz posted:

Yeah it looks like a bad cash in... really not impressed, especially since the Vita, at least, can do waaaay better.

I played a solid hour of it in September and it was very middling. The main issue I had was that unlike the console Arkham games there's very little sense of impact when you're countering/fighting/using the grappling hook/etc. Everything felt so floaty and slow like the engine was going to fall apart every time I climbed up a ledge or there were three guys on the screen at once.

Technically these are all things that could be fixed by now but at the same time the Arkham combat is pretty boring in 2D. Guys walk "around" you sort of but it's basically left or right and counter all day. I think for a game like this to be fun in 2D a bigger emphasis on using the gadgets in combat would help a lot. Also it was just the beginning of the game (not actually in Blackgate itself) but it was just a straight line the whole time, no exploration or anything like the Super Metroid inspired game it was originally touted as.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

Okay, I'm pretty loving sold on him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Stroth posted:

I would not be upset if Troy was ever made to voice the Joker for other stuff, though I still think if DC ever makes a Killing Joke Animated Movie, they have Hamill do it since I think that is the one thing he wants to do with the character.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I don't know if this was ever posted, but I love this so much:

Game Informer April 2013 preview posted:

The demo that we saw and played had music that mixed in the sounds of sleigh bells. Holmes explained the game's use of bells: "One of our inspirations for that is Die Hard, which I think is one of the greatest movies ever made, but it's also a Christmas movie, right? One thing they use in there is whenever McClane has an idea you hear the Christmas bells. So the moment for example when he has the two bullets left for his pistol and he knows Hans has his wife... then you see the Chirstmas tape and the camera punches in. You hear the same thing just before he sends the guy down the elevator... all of his ideas are little Christmas moments."

There's also info about how they segmented the parts of the cities so that the industrial areas have no decorations, the corporate areas have clearly purchased decorations, and the residential areas (Gotham suburbs? I hope so!) have more personal stuff.

That the Christmas thing isn't just something slapped on but really integrated into the game design-wise is cool - part of what's always been fantastic about the Arkham games is the sense of atmosphere and history they lend the locations. (Also, totally calling that the game ends with a weary Batman stumbling back into the Batcave and Alfred offering cookies and hot cocoa or something similar.)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stroth posted:

If I wasn't looking at the video, I think I could have convinced myself it was Hamill.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Preordered on GMG almost solely because, without Games for Windows Live, I know I'll actually be able to play this one. I'm sure Arkham City was great, but I tried to play it twice and it was just a hot loving mess. First time it would install but would crash on load, which prevented it from logging in to GFWL to download and install the patch that would fix the loading crash. I tried reinstalling it sometime later, but couldn't save because GFWL wouldn't install properly on Windows 8. I didn't know how to fix it at the time, and after replaying the Catwoman / Two-face intro scene about five times I was so burned out I uninstalled the game.

I probably should go back and try again now that Dark Souls forced me to learn how to make GFWL work, but man was that a waste of $60.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

timeandtide posted:

I don't know if this was ever posted, but I love this so much:

There's also info about how they segmented the parts of the cities so that the industrial areas have no decorations, the corporate areas have clearly purchased decorations, and the residential areas (Gotham suburbs? I hope so!) have more personal stuff.

That the Christmas thing isn't just something slapped on but really integrated into the game design-wise is cool - part of what's always been fantastic about the Arkham games is the sense of atmosphere and history they lend the locations. (Also, totally calling that the game ends with a weary Batman stumbling back into the Batcave and Alfred offering cookies and hot cocoa or something similar.)
It should definitively end with Let it Snow....actually I really hope it will, that song is catchy as gently caress.

Went ahead and pre-ordered now, everything about it looks really neat and they seem to have captured the Batman spirit I was a bit afraid they would miss (and also that I really would have preferred a sequel then a prequel). Multiplayer achievments be damned!

Only thing I'm a bit worried about is that it looks like every segment of the city is just that, a closed segment. Meaning you *have to* use the Batwing/"Press A" to go between areas instead of being able to just run and glide through it on your own. Not really a big deal but I'm hoping for a fully open world in the style of Arkham City.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Iacen posted:

If I wasn't looking at the video, I think I could have convinced myself it was Hamill.

Hammill's Joker is great and iconic and all and I guess you want at least a soundalike for the Arkham continuity, but how long does it have to be after he retires before people quit loving blubbering about how anyone who isn't him or doesn't try to sound like him isn't the "real" Joker?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I honestly thought they stopped when John Dimaggio took a crack at it. He was a great joker and it wasn't at all like Mark Hammil. More of a mix of TDK Joker more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shindragon posted:

I honestly thought they stopped when John Dimaggio took a crack at it. He was a great joker and it wasn't at all like Mark Hammil. More of a mix of TDK Joker more like it.

I honestly hated DeMaggio's Joker but I figured it stopped once Ledger's Joker basically redefined the character for a lot of people.

• Locked thread