Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

keyframe posted:

Oh great punkbuster is enabled now and the pos promptly crashes when I launch the game. How do I go about fixing it?
Download pbsetup.exe.
Add BF4 to the games list.
Click Check for Updates.

It might work.

Official: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
Mirror if official doesn't work: http://www.filehippo.com/download_punkbuster/tech/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Propaganda Hour posted:

I feel like I've gone back in time to the days of Enemy Territory. Punkbuster is downloading at an excruciatingly slow 25 KB/s.

wait what do I need to do to get this poo poo working? Isn't punkbuster already installed with the game?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So can you actually destroy/collapse most/all buildings circa BC2 or is that tower destruction trailer just like a one off masturbatory thing? This influences whether or not I give a poo poo about this game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

keyframe posted:

wait what do I need to do to get this poo poo working? Isn't punkbuster already installed with the game?

Yes, but punkbuster is also an archaic pile of bullshit that works only when it feels like it, and does nothing to stop hackers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Propaganda Hour posted:

I feel like I've gone back in time to the days of Enemy Territory.
Punkbuster never left.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

So can you actually destroy/collapse most/all buildings circa BC2 or is that tower destruction trailer just like a one off masturbatory thing? This influences whether or not I give a poo poo about this game.

It's a one off gimick per map. Most people just rush to bring it down in the first few minutes of the match so you can imagine how the rest of it will go.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mr. Crow posted:

Everyone keeps saying this about BC2, but that's just because BC2 only had like 5 different building prefabs. BF3 had more different types of destructible buildings but they weren't reused all the time like in BC2.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Also turning the entire map into a moonscape really brings out the worst in playstyles. Nice in squad deathmatch, poo poo for most of the other modes.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Mr. Crow posted:

Its a one off thing, but overall everything feels more destructable.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Gonkish posted:

Yes, but punkbuster is also an archaic pile of bullshit that works only when it feels like it, and does nothing to stop hackers.

I know what punkbuster is Gonk. I need to know what to update so I can get in a game. I put the bf4 beta punkbuster files in the pb folder but still get a crash when I try to join a server.

Nalin posted:

Download pbsetup.exe.
Add BF4 to the games list.
Click Check for Updates.

It might work.

Official: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
Mirror if official doesn't work: http://www.filehippo.com/download_punkbuster/tech/

Thanks man giving this a try.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Sorry but dropping buildings on top of fuckers trying to camp (or anyone at all) is 'the best moment in gaming history', all the time every time. I could give a poo poo if there 5 building types.

Turning the map into a moonscape just added some additional meta-game. Better get the next objective before all the cover is gone :riker:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The smaller scale destruction is really loving cool though. I was in the metro point and a guy had dropped the security gate and holed up in one of the shops to hold off my team really effectively, so I put a rocket in the gate without knowing whether it'd work, and lo and behold, was rewarded with a flanking avenue.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Shumagorath posted:

Punkbuster never left.

Oh I know, but peep that download speed.

Game is still fun as poo poo, though

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Alternatively: the thrill of camping in a building and hearing it groan before the collapse as you headlessly sprint out of it into oncoming fire :riker:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

Sorry but dropping buildings on top of fuckers trying to camp (or anyone at all) is 'the best moment in gaming history', all the time every time. I could give a poo poo if there 5 building types.

Turning the map into a moonscape just added some additional meta-game. Better get the next objective before all the cover is gone :riker:
Yes until you destroy all the building and tree cover so there's no approach on a Rush map or one side is subject to horrible spawncamping (not that this wasn't a bigger problem in BF3 - looking at you Firestorm and Caspian).

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oh I know, but peep that download speed.
Nmap Evenbalance's website and you might see a Windows 2000 Server on an ISDN line. The timewarp is total.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Its a one off thing, but overall everything feels more destructable.

I might describe it as a kind of expanded destruction you see in the Close Quarters maps of BF3 (minus Scrapmetal) applied to the whole game. Walls can still be destroyed, but a lot more incidental things along with them.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The duckbill for the shotgun seems interesting. The spread is the same but it compresses it vertically and expands it horizontally. Also is it just me or is the AK-12 idiotic right now. It reminds me of the BF3 beta UMP.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Crow posted:

Alternatively: the thrill of camping in a building and hearing it groan before the collapse as you headlessly sprint out of it into oncoming fire :riker:

BC2 knew that people would become addicted to this thrill, which is why most maps that had this happen put that same building in five or six times. Considering that ultimately it ruined an entire gameplay mode (and BC2 itself was never able to support proper Conquest next to BF2), I don't actually have all that many fond memories of the game, other than the brief time period where the various honorifics people cast upon the Carl Gustav were somewhat funny and original.

gently caress that game. I had my fun with it, and it was fun, but it was never, ever, a proper replacement (or even decent accompaniment) to a full-scale Battlefield title.

akula
Oct 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

OK I played this game for a little while and it's nice and all, but I'm just not feeling it. I pretty much put it down quickly and went back to playing Planetside 2.

There's nothing wrong with BF4, it just kind of feels like more of the same BF3. The new tower level is fantastic, I mean -- the design is great, and there's a lot to do -- but I just came away from the whole experience with a big "ehhhhhhhhhhhh" feeling.

I may still buy it just to play with friends, but ... ehhhhhhhhhh.

this is exactly what I feared. The game feels like some kind of COD like iteration rather than a revolutionary game. First and foremost, it looks the same which is disappointing. The vehicles are the same, why can't why have BF2 style helicopters? You could actually rack up 10+ kills in one go in those things with teamwork, in BF3 and 4 it seems everyone and their uncle has a shoulder mounted heatseaking rocket launcher, which totally sucks the fun out of the game for me.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Does the defibrillator not work? I haven't actually been able to revive anyone yet. Also... throwing down packs and having them fall through the floor constantly is super rad.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

So how does the support airburst actually work? I haven't gotten to play with it enough to really understand its mechanics.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Shumagorath posted:

Yes until you destroy all the building and tree cover so there's no approach on a Rush map or one side is subject to horrible spawncamping (not that this wasn't a bigger problem in BF3 - looking at you Firestorm and Caspian).
If you got to the point where this happened to your team, they sucked and were going to lose anyways. So it's a non-issue for me.

El_Funko posted:

The choppers seem really durable in the beta, able to survive things that would instagib a chopper in BF3.

However like someguy said, taking a rocket hit will briefly knock them around and can be enough to cause the pilot to flip out and slam it into a building.

They are definitely more durable against some things, and worse against others. Scouts for instance are weaker against .50 cal rounds, but stronger against tank shells from MBTs in that one shell will take you to 9 health instead of insta-gibbing you. Honestly the only thing I cared about Dice doing with BF4 was NOT changing the flight mechanics for any of the air vehicles, because it was all perfect and they couldn't even loving do that. Everything has this comical, janky quick movement that just feels (and looks) awful. This is mostly because Dice decided to increase RPG speed because some (bad) players cried about it, and making helicopters slightly quicker seemed to be the only way Dice could think to balance it.

akula posted:

this is exactly what I feared. The game feels like some kind of COD like iteration rather than a revolutionary game. First and foremost, it looks the same which is disappointing. The vehicles are the same, why can't why have BF2 style helicopters? You could actually rack up 10+ kills in one go in those things with teamwork, in BF3 and 4 it seems everyone and their uncle has a shoulder mounted heatseaking rocket launcher, which totally sucks the fun out of the game for me.

Because lock-on everything is how you attract new players coming from an easier game where they didn't have to deal with those scary vehicles.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 2, 2013

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

SaucyLoggins posted:

Does the defibrillator not work? I haven't actually been able to revive anyone yet. Also... throwing down packs and having them fall through the floor constantly is super rad.

They do work, I think there is just a really short time for revive.
Whenever a buddy of mine would die I would try to grab his kit because he has defibs, but id always not be able to revive him. The only times I would seem to get him is if I was super fast about it.
But I am not exactly sure if it is a short revive time or what since I did not get to test it out much.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shumagorath posted:

GOD drat IT

Would tanks really be so bad if their main guns performed close to reality? Just make them take longer between shots or something.

It would be nice if they had a realistic velocity and actually kicked dust everywhere like they would if you shot a tank shell after that skyscraper fell.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I'm really hating the map post-collapse. Theirs a sudden tan fog that covers the entire map and makes seeing anything almost impossible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I'm really hating the map post-collapse. Theirs a sudden tan fog that covers the entire map and makes seeing anything almost impossible.
That's kinda the point with levelution in that you change the state of the map drastically so you don't always go for it. Maybe it'll balance itself out over time and people get loving tired of levelutioning the map (or b-line for it).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I'm honestly shocked at how long the skyscraper tends lasts as it is; I usually see it go down around half way through the match instead of instantly at the very beginning like I kept expecting.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Maybe it's been mentioned, this thread was absurdly busy while I was gone, but is the option to turn a second monitor into a map only for commanders? I didn't see a way to do it as a regular player. Also, does anyone know if I can do it with my monitors at different resolutions?

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Enjoying the flight model, it seems a lot like oldschool desert combat. I like how the hydra rockets don't murder infantry anymore, you have to have a gunner for that.

The built up urban environment makes chopper on chopper combat feel like the hunt for red october. Popping up above buildings to see if the other dude is looking away, hiding and flanking around some buildings if he spots ya. Then you pounce. It's awesome.

The destruction feels pretty good to me. I make it a point to drive my tanks like it's carmageddon, and flatten everything I see. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why are some people in the chat shown in white?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

John Magnum posted:

Maybe it's been mentioned, this thread was absurdly busy while I was gone, but is the option to turn a second monitor into a map only for commanders? I didn't see a way to do it as a regular player. Also, does anyone know if I can do it with my monitors at different resolutions?

When you are playing on a server tab back to your second monitor and look at battlelog. The blue bar at the bottom of the page has a new button called "Battlescreen" and that's the semi-realtime map you can use as a player.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I was able to play this morning. First game I tried when I got home from work I couldn't deploy. After quitting that one and trying a new server it just sits at the loading screen for a while, then changes to a black screen that says "loading" in the top right corner but I can hear the game, even people on mic. Then it crashes after a minute of that. Awesome.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Kramjacks posted:

I was able to play this morning. First game I tried when I got home from work I couldn't deploy. After quitting that one and trying a new server it just sits at the loading screen for a while, then changes to a black screen that says "loading" in the top right corner but I can hear the game, even people on mic. Then it crashes after a minute of that. Awesome.

Same here. I tried reinstalling without realizing it would want to download the entire 5Gb package over again. Origin ftw.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Tried out the 320.49 drivers on a whim and drat. Had tried out the WHQL drivers and the Beta nVidia drivers with nothing but stutters. The old 320.49 fixed it.

2500k (@4.5GHz)
16GB DDR3
670GTX
SSD (had huge load times till I moved those .zip files in the DirectX folder posted earlier)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Kramjacks posted:

I had to download punkbuster for that to go away.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
If I had BF3 premium on playstation 3 is their anyway for me to play the BF4 beta right now on PC sans buying BF4 for pc?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ZionestLord posted:

If I had BF3 premium on playstation 3 is their anyway for me to play the BF4 beta right now on PC sans buying BF4 for pc?

Wait 36 more hours.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

Same here. I tried reinstalling without realizing it would want to download the entire 5Gb package over again. Origin ftw.

Well it seems I can join Conquest but not Domination. Huh.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
So what's the verdict on Commander Mode folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So what's the verdict on Commander Mode folks?

You must not have been paying much attention.

• Locked thread