Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I HAVE GOT TO FIND THIS LIBRA MAN~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I want to kiss whoever made the Nashville deal go down.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Would Nashville be another "entry level" Altman worth seeing? The only others I've seen are The Long Goodbye (perfection), The Player (meh) and Popeye (excellent).

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Would Nashville be another "entry level" Altman worth seeing? The only others I've seen are The Long Goodbye (perfection), The Player (meh) and Popeye (excellent).

Nashville is the best Altman. I'm not sure about entry-level, but it was my second one after MASH, which is also basically perfect. Also watch Short Cuts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Nashville is essential viewing in general, as are Short Cuts, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, 3 Women, MASH, and Secret Honor.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The only people I know who dislike Nashville are those who have an incredibly stupid and myopic view of country music. Nashville is one of the essential American films.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

kaujot posted:

The only people I know who dislike Nashville are those who have an incredibly stupid and myopic view of country music. Nashville is one of the essential American films.

And if you don't like these songs you can get the gently caress out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NToTcTiX66g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm8PwXOHNPs

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Like the rest of the free world I'm pumped about Nashville, but I'm surprised there's no deleted footage on the disc. Is that all lost now?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
According to Altman there actually was very little deleted footage:

A/V Club posted:

O: The new DVD version, I noticed, didn't have any deleted scenes. There's said to be hours of footage from Nashville that weren't included. Did you want any of that to see the light?
RA: There weren't any deleted scenes. Almost everything we shot is in that film.
O: Just in shorter versions?
RA: No, that whole thing that has been said for 25 years—that we cut another two or three hours of film, that we could have cut another version—just isn't true. That all stemmed from when we went to network television, because the film was so long at that time. I said we could add footage and put it on two different nights: in other words, make two two-hour films out of it. Because if you're not seeing it all in one sitting, and it's going to be separated by a week, you can afford to do a little reprise and repeat some stuff a little bit.
O: But that never happened?
RA: No, they chose not to do that. Nashville... There's nothing I would do to change it. I'd probably cut it a little bit, but that isn't what it is. Most of the time trimmed is music.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Egbert Souse posted:

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970, Elio Petri) - Dual Format

Excellent, I was just whining at someone that I couldn't buy this in the States.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Wait, is that the one with Gian Maria Volonte? I've been wanting to see that forever.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Wait, is that the one with Gian Maria Volonte? I've been wanting to see that forever.

Yep, the way things have been going lately I'm surprised Raro didn't pick it up but I don't care as long as I can get it easily. V:shobon:V

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's funny because I actually first heard of Investigation from a fake Criterion cover:

which I prefer to the real cover:

But yeah. Hype for that as well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Newsletter hint:

The .org-ers seem to think it's Errol Morris's Brief History Of Time Stephen Hawking documentary, which I've somehow never heard of.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Newsletter hint:

The .org-ers seem to think it's Errol Morris's Brief History Of Time Stephen Hawking documentary, which I've somehow never heard of.

It's good and on YouTube if you want to check it out. I'd post the link, but I'm not sure what the forum rule is in that regard.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Ehhhh, of all the Errol Morris I've seen, it's the one I'd like on Criterion the least. Surely MGM isn't clinging on to the rights of Gates of Heaven or his other earlier films.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Criterion.com is having a 24-hour 50% off sale that just started 30 minutes ago. Use the code INGRID at checkout.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I went ahead and grabbed Naked Lunch, Safety Last and Shoah. I missed out on the last Criterion sale due to furloughs so I definitely wanted to get myself a little something-something this time around.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I decided to pick up the following:

Autumn Sonata
The Red Shoes
El Norte (w/replacement case)
Last Emperor (w/replacement case)
Two-Lane Blacktop
Close-up
Charulata
The Night of the Hunter
Band of Outsiders

I've been a really bad boy lately with Criterions, so I've told myself that I'm going to skip out on November's B&N sale and just make the Zatoichi set my #1 birthday wish forever and ever (since my b-day is the week before it comes out).

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
No international shipping? Horseshit, was just about to double my collection :(

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Can anyone confirm if the 50% code works for preorders?

Edit: Never mind just tried and it didn't work.

Jeff Wiiver fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 1, 2013

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Come to me Ingrid, in your Autumn Sonata blu upgrade and fresh trilogy. Shhhh, pay no mind to that infuriating Italian, he cannot have you anymore.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Not too adventurous, just got myself Videodrome and Rushmore.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

City Lights is the only "must have" left on my list after getting Safety Last! and Wild Strawberries in the B&N sale, but alas...

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Can anyone confirm if the 50% code works for preorders?

Edit: Never mind just tried and it didn't work.

Pre-orders are always exempt from Criterion sales. B&N does mark down pre-orders for anything released within the sale period, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I Before E posted:

Not too adventurous, just got myself Videodrome and Rushmore.

Two's about as far as I can go without feeling horrible about the money I'm dropping, I went with Repo Man/Zazie at the Metro.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Power of Pecota posted:

I went with Repo Man

Just watched Repo Man last night. It is worth the buy. What a great, weird, fun time.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Was only going to get one or two but gently caress it its my birthday next week. Rushmore, Godzilla and Badlands

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I was responsible and didn't buy anything :qq:

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!
Will I get boned for living in Canada? I have about 30 minutes to decide!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ratedargh posted:

Just watched Repo Man last night. It is worth the buy. What a great, weird, fun time.

You're welcome. That was my first Criterion Bluray and it is magic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

kaujot posted:

I was responsible and didn't buy anything :qq:

Don't fret, there will be other sales.

I just worry about missing out on stuff going OOP, which I think they're good at advertising.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't see another StudioCanal apocalyptic mess coming. That was more Lionsgate's fault since they demanded exclusive rights. When Anchor Bay had the rights to the library, they let Criterion editions co-exist.

Major studios are moving away from licensing from other studios anyways.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
A question I know has probably been asked before: what are the odds of the Tati films coming back into print? Figured I should ask before overpaying for Playtime on Bluray.....

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ThetaOmnikron posted:

A question I know has probably been asked before: what are the odds of the Tati films coming back into print? Figured I should ask before overpaying for Playtime on Bluray.....

StudioCanal got the rights last July according to google, so the Criterion is probably never coming back, but there will definitely be a SC version at some point if you don't mind waiting. Their releases are usually solid.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

mr. mephistopheles posted:

StudioCanal got the rights last July according to google, so the Criterion is probably never coming back, but there will definitely be a SC version at some point if you don't mind waiting. Their releases are usually solid.

Not their Ran release. :qq:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow are OOP Criterion blurays really in the $100+ range? I have really lucked out with some blind buy Criterion blurays--got both Man Who Fell to Earth and Playtime blus when they were in print.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I bought The Third Man on blu-ray once I heard it was going OOP even though I still have the DVD (and I had the version before that too, but sold it very cheaply to a friend). Been meaning to offload the second DVD but have been lazy.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mod sassinator posted:

Wow are OOP Criterion blurays really in the $100+ range? I have really lucked out with some blind buy Criterion blurays--got both Man Who Fell to Earth and Playtime blus when they were in print.

I put a copy of the Third Man blu-ray on ebay for 120 dollars. It sold in less than two hours.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Is this really true? LionsGate hasn't released a whole lot in the US of the catalog that falls under the "StudioCanal Collection" and they have a ton of great stuff. A lot of it is available for rental on Amazon.

e: At least I think some of the stuff I saw poking around on Amazon is through that big rights acquisition, might be from elsewhere but that catalog is so big I get confused :shobon:

leokitty fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mod sassinator posted:

Every time I see the prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth blu-ray, I am so happy I bought it (and Frost/Nixon) for like $50 on SA Mart. It became my favorite movie, and it's really cool to say I have.