Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
MRS. BUTTERWORTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
don't even say poo poo like that because it'll never happen and i don't want to get my hopes up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

don't even say poo poo like that because it'll never happen and i don't want to get my hopes up

Doesn't he get unironically mad when people ask him to play that?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

as far as i know he hates that gimp even ever existed

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

as far as i know he hates that gimp even ever existed

Well that's sad. Here I've been holding out hope for nearly a decade that Man Bites Dog will see the light and their first album will be the Gimp album redone.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

last time I asked him to play mrs butterworth he told me to go gently caress myself

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Someone request Winter Sucks.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

HTTD16 tickets go on sale friday :neckbeard:

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Grandmaster.flv posted:

last time I asked him to play mrs butterworth he told me to go gently caress myself

I wonder if he'd have the same reaction if I asked for One Mississippi.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Oh poo poo, Reel big fish just announced November tour dates with Five Iron Frenzy. And none of those shows are near me :(

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
Did that new album ever come out?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Beowulf posted:

Oh poo poo, Reel big fish just announced November tour dates with Five Iron Frenzy. And none of those shows are near me :(

two shows in new york, both with goldfinger :(

i'm going to have to go to philly or new jersey for this poo poo. starland two times in one week ugh

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

No Denver dates on the Five Iron Frenzy/RBF tour yet, but they did say they have a few more dates TBD, so here's hoping Denver or a nearby city will be one of them...surely the fact that FIF is from Denver will make that happen, right?...right? :ohdear:

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Beowulf posted:

Aww yiss, my wife and I are changing our travel plans so we'll be around for the Silver Spring date. Both of those bands are really fun live, that should be a great pairing.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I live in Baltimore and I think I am gonna see about getting to both the Baltimore and Silver Spring dates. :)

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just ordered tickets to my last Streetlight show.

drat.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I hope RBF is headlining so I can see FIF and gtfo because I don't think I can handle RBF live anymore.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I've seen Streetlight 3 and a half times before but I have no desire to see their last tour. :(

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I haven't seen it posted here yet, and I guess some people feel like they've been missing out. Jeff Rosenstock said we can share his new songs with anyone we want in his last email, so here they are for anyone who hasn't already heard them.

http://www.quoteunquoterecords.com/jeffrosenstock/

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

thank you jeff

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MondayHotDog posted:

I haven't seen it posted here yet, and I guess some people feel like they've been missing out. Jeff Rosenstock said we can share his new songs with anyone we want in his last email, so here they are for anyone who hasn't already heard them.

God Bless Jeff.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Who is going to Irving Plaza tonight? Is Dan Potthast just going to be at every ska band's last NYC show? Not that I mind, I'm just going to start associating the heckler song with the disintegration of my fading youth.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

MondayHotDog posted:

But I want to give him money

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gabbleduck posted:

But I want to give him money
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur061.htm

Click the donate button and put "Jeffer" in the subject/description line

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
Trip report:They played "They broke him down" and Michael Emerson was there.

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!
Jeff Rosenstock tweeted about maybe doing a solo tour in the midwest/northeast US today. Get pumped dogs!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Back in the winter he played a show in some guy's kitchen in Brooklyn. It was a really short set though, maybe 6-7 songs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

donges posted:

Jeff Rosenstock tweeted about maybe doing a solo tour in the midwest/northeast US today. Get pumped dogs!
Hoping he comes back to Australia when it's winter in America to do a solo show.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

I forget who said it in this thread but man you weren't kidding, MCI is rad as heck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Red Red Blue posted:

I forget who said it in this thread but man you weren't kidding, MCI is rad as heck

I like that Jeff described it as sounding like a Dillinger Four b-side because that is exactly what it feels like.

e: For the people who haven't read it, an excerpt from the email that it came with:

quote:

There are a lot of self-imposed rules that I broke during this song, basically habits that I developed during making the first three Bomb records that I had been trying not to fall into. Some are the following.

1) You don't need to put glockenspiel in every song.
2) Every song doesn't need to sound like it's exploding.
3) Don't write as many songs that sound like Dillinger Four b-sides.
4) Stay away from na-na-na-na-na's, etc.

But whatever, glockenspiels always sound good, songs should sound like they're exploding, Dillinger Four is awesome and it's okay to go na-na-na-na-na at least once a month.

Wise words.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 4, 2013

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I love everything Jeff does. Haven't heard any D4 before. Would I like them? Where to start?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

rear end Catchcum posted:

I love everything Jeff does. Haven't heard any D4 before. Would I like them? Where to start?

D4 is great but I don't think they are directly comparable. They've changed a little over time, and production values have increased; the friend who introduced me to them thinks they sound too polished now and doesn't like their new stuff. Personally I like both.

The first album is Midwestern Songs of the Americas and is probably the place to start. Either way also listen to the last album, Civil War; if you liked the first album you'll want more, and if you didn't you should still hear the new stuff in case you like that. I know the album after the first and it's closer in sound to the first album; haven't heard the one after that.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Midwestern Songs of the Americas, Situationist Comedy and Versus God are all awesome albums. I'm not crazy about Civil War and not a fan of the live album.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Civil War is loving amazing. gently caress the haters.

And Jeff is wrong about one thing: every song does need to sound like it's exploding.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

Midwestern Songs of the Americas, Situationist Comedy and Versus God are all awesome albums. I'm not crazy about Civil War and not a fan of the live album.

The live album i sliterally a fan-made bootleg that the band was okay with releasing because the banter is loving incredible. Midwestern Songs and Situationist Comedy are probably my two favorite actual albums, but my favorite release of theirs, period, is More Songs about Girlfriends and Bubblegum.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Hey I was at the Steetlight show in Boston tonight. Took a video of Watch It Crash. The audio doesn't suck for being recorded from an iphone at the side of the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4bVO47HZI4

edit: Streelight trip report: Ok. Too many shirtless bros in the pit, too many "gotta protect my girlfriend!" guys up front. Band was tight though. Saw a kid in a Skankin' Pickle shirt that looked like he was born after they broke up. Highlight of the night was locking eyes with a dude across the crowd wearing a Aqua cadet mask and flashing the Aquabats handsign at him and having him do it back.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 5, 2013

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Every Streetlight show ends up getting drowned out by the crowd but I still go to them.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Highlight of the night was locking eyes with a dude across the crowd wearing a Aqua cadet mask and flashing the Aquabats handsign at him and having him do it back.

owns

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was at the Boston show too, but bought tickets super late and wound up in the balcony :( Was a pretty fun show overall, even though there was a drunk dude behind me yelling about how much Dan P sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Just got out of the Toronto Streetlight show. I don't have a basis for comparison, but the show was pretty awesome IMO. Played everything I wanted to hear from the new album plus a bunch of older stuff. I just chilled in the back because I'm old, fat and out of shape but it seemed pretty decent up front. There was one warning from Tomas about bumping into the brass section but after that eventing was cool and he seemed into it. Also after the encore he dropped a not so subtle "See you soon".