Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Autumncomet posted:

Didn't he have Mikasa's help with that, in hitting Reiner's armor's weak spots? Because if Mikasa can help, Bert can too. :v:

Eren was managing to break Reiner's arms with Annie's wrestling moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Schubalts posted:

Eren was managing to break Reiner's arms with Annie's wrestling moves.

If I remember right he wasn't breaking his arms, he was ripping them out. Or at least attempting to.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Vincent Valentine posted:

If I remember right he wasn't breaking his arms, he was ripping them out. Or at least attempting to.

Actually, he did a guillotine choke on Reiner. When applied to humans this would restrict airflow to the lungs, but in this instance it was used to snap Reiner's nape open.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The land beyond the walls is more beautiful than could ever have been imagined.

From here.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Who's that on the carrousel?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sindai posted:

Who's that on the carrousel?

Based on the comments, Gaius from Fire Emblem.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Everyone is a titan. The wall is titans. The world is a titan. It's titans all the way down.

The series will end by breaking the fourth wall, explaining that you, the reader, are a titan.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Squidster posted:

From here.
The potato batteries powering everything are a nice touch.

Thoren posted:

The series will end by breaking the fourth wall, explaining that you, the reader, are a titan.
End of the anime: your TV screen breaks, and the Wall Titan is peeking out of the hole. The first three walls are full of titans, why not the fourth?

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

Fatkraken posted:

Everyone is a titan. The wall is titans. The world is a titan. It's titans all the way down.

I'm not letting this post go unappreciated.

Wow. It is actually really hard to find a good reference pic of the colossal titan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bisensual posted:

I'm not letting this post go unappreciated.

Wow. It is actually really hard to find a good reference pic of the colossal titan.

:golfclap:

I think you may have made his head a bit too large tho; IIRC his head is really tiny in proportion to the rest of his body.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

His feet are also more like an elephants. Elephant feet wouldn't look as good with the Atlas imagery, though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
That Attack on Titan fangame has a forest level now. Shockingly easier to maneuver than the town.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So many god drat layers and layers of foreshadowing, callbacks, call forwards. Mr. Isayama is really good at this.

Just noticed this. Look at Berthold. Hidden in plain sight. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c041/24.html

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Very nice find!! This is the kind of stuff we need to look for while we wait.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Squidster posted:

From here.
The fan art for this manga has been pretty incredible.

And of course, every cartoon character in existence has been drawn peeking over the wall in place of the colossal titan.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So many god drat layers and layers of foreshadowing, callbacks, call forwards. Mr. Isayama is really good at this.

Just noticed this. Look at Berthold. Hidden in plain sight. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c041/24.html

Looking back, this is an interesting Reiner moment.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

What are we supposed to be looking at? Just that he was grabbing her leg too tightly? What is that a sign of? Just general craziness?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What are we supposed to be looking at? Just that he was grabbing her leg too tightly? What is that a sign of? Just general craziness?

Sorry, should have been more specific. That, and also the next page where he seems to snap out of a trance. To me, it looks like it's foreshadowing the revelation of his mental split.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The (probably joke) speculation about Mikasa being a titan because the rest of the top of the class is titans has me wondering about Rivaille. If Eren's dad experimented on Mikasa or whatever to make her super strong, then it's very conspicuous that Rivaille is even more powerful than her, and by a wide margin. Experience and talent and training matter a lot of course but still, the gap between Rivaille and every other human is pretty drat big in terms of combat abilities. I wonder if Eren's dad or a similar scientist did something with him, but it couldn't be done on a wide scale, like Captain America's super soldier serum or whatever. I haven't really seen any hints about this though, but one cool thing about this manga is that you can basically look at the facts and figure out something is going on. I don't think Rivaille is just a mega-badass because it's a manga.

I also think Armin will think of using Christa as a hostage soon to control Ymir. Connie might even be on the verge of the idea but Armin will probably have to be the one to really put it into action. If they even get the chance. His lie about Annie being constantly tortured because of her healing ability to get Reiner to flip out was great. I really like how the 'smart' character actually does smart things within the story and it feels organic instead of something super convoluted to show how super smart and cool he is.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Maybe it's me, but Reiner looks loving mad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

i300 posted:

"This dumbfuck is the one we're forced to protect?"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

i300 posted:

Yeah, come to think of it he probably recognized the titan that ate his and Bert's friend.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

The fan art for this manga has been pretty incredible.
Indeed it is.

I guarantee only like 5 other people are going to get this reference.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, come to think of it he probably recognized the titan that ate his and Bert's friend.

When exactly did that happen?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

AradoBalanga posted:

Indeed it is.

Heh, isn't that some fairly obscure music video Ghibli did? I'm surprised that there's a crossover with that of all things.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Metropolis posted:

The (probably joke) speculation about Mikasa being a titan because the rest of the top of the class is titans has me wondering about Rivaille. If Eren's dad experimented on Mikasa or whatever to make her super strong, then it's very conspicuous that Rivaille is even more powerful than her, and by a wide margin. Experience and talent and training matter a lot of course but still, the gap between Rivaille and every other human is pretty drat big in terms of combat abilities. I wonder if Eren's dad or a similar scientist did something with him, but it couldn't be done on a wide scale, like Captain America's super soldier serum or whatever. I haven't really seen any hints about this though, but one cool thing about this manga is that you can basically look at the facts and figure out something is going on. I don't think Rivaille is just a mega-badass because it's a manga.

I always thought of Levi as the soldier Mikasa could become if she moved past her rage and her need to always protect Eren no matter what. He is a just a cold, calculating killing machine. I don't think it is coincidence that the one time they worked together, he gets injured because she goes for a kill he has specifically said they shouldn't go for because of her hatred for everybody who hurt her precious Eren.

But on the other hand, there is that bit about Levi being "surprisingly old". Now, that could just mean that he is old by shonen manga standards, where twenty year olds are wizzed veterans looking down on the young fifteen year old newbies (and then sacrificing themselves to save them), or it could be a hint that he is or was a titan at some point.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

AradoBalanga posted:

Indeed it is.

Man such a great AMV.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AradoBalanga posted:

Indeed it is.

This just blew my loving mind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ArchangeI posted:

I always thought of Levi as the soldier Mikasa could become if she moved past her rage and her need to always protect Eren no matter what. He is a just a cold, calculating killing machine. I don't think it is coincidence that the one time they worked together, he gets injured because she goes for a kill he has specifically said they shouldn't go for because of her hatred for everybody who hurt her precious Eren.

But on the other hand, there is that bit about Levi being "surprisingly old". Now, that could just mean that he is old by shonen manga standards, where twenty year olds are wizzed veterans looking down on the young fifteen year old newbies (and then sacrificing themselves to save them), or it could be a hint that he is or was a titan at some point.

He's in his early thirties.

While we're speculating and pointing out things, by the way, both Levi and Mikasa are abnormally heavy for their heights.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

While we're speculating and pointing out things, by the way, both Levi and Mikasa are abnormally heavy for their heights.

High muscle mass, likely.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think we've ever been given a number for Levi's age, just that he's surprisingly old.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

I don't think we've ever been given a number for Levi's age, just that he's surprisingly old.

Isayama revealed it at a fan meeting. Hanji, Levi, and Erwin are all in their thirties, with Erwin the oldest and Hanji the youngest.

Not their specific ages, though, no.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 3, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Missing Name posted:

High muscle mass, likely.

Just like Mikasa, Levi is ripped as hell. Being a human buzzsaw is a great workout.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

Heh, isn't that some fairly obscure music video Ghibli did? I'm surprised that there's a crossover with that of all things.
It's partially thanks to one of Isayama's joke preview images that had several members (including Christa) of the 104th becoming Titans. Christa's Titan form resembled an angel, hence the joke.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Metropolis posted:

Experience and talent and training matter a lot of course but still, the gap between Rivaille and every other human is pretty drat big in terms of combat abilities..

He's the "guy that's super powerful despite not having any special powers" guy that you see in most action shounen manga.

tl;dr: :zoro:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At the risk of looking like a moron what do you mean "hidden"? He's right there, what am I missing?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

At the risk of looking like a moron what do you mean "hidden"? He's right there, what am I missing?

He's about to bite his hand. :ssh:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheKingofSprings posted:

He's about to bite his hand. :ssh:

Yep, I look like a moron now. V:shobon:V

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Genocyber posted:

He's the "guy that's super powerful despite not having any special powers" guy that you see in most action shounen manga.

tl;dr: :zoro:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

My impression is that Annie set out to capture Eren, but slaughtering the Recon corps wasn't the primary goal. Unfortunately for the Recon Corps, squishing them like bugs was just so easy. She just couldn't help it.

It takes a moment of sitting back and reflecting before she realises that kind of horrific monster she has become.

From the anime thread. I think SnK asks a very interesting question: what goes through the head of a mass murderer? By all accounts, Bert, Reiner and Annie are brave, admirable people outside of their wall-smashing man-squishing titan forms. They are not outright psychopaths, they are perfectly human with goals that just happen to be incompatible with every other human within the walls. They mentally put off the enormity of their actions so to avoid thinking of it, and they are too cowardly to change paths and go straight home, as that would mean admitting that all those deaths in the goal of mission were purely nihilistic.

Despite all of Reiner's protestations, he is still a soldier: on orders from some yet unknown polity, his actions killed many many people. Thus far, there isn't some kind of fascist holocaust apologia, the other humans are perfectly justified in killing or capturing them in as little time as possible so to save the lives of others.