Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hadlock posted:

Not once it loads up a metro app. For example if I open a jpg in the default image viewer (which is metro) and then close the image, it drops you in to metro start screen mode, at which point the start button will only toggle you between metro and the app, it won't drop you back down to the desktop.

Ah. I use zero metro apps since I find them redundant to the desktop equivalent which are more feature rich so I haven't run into that. About the only thing I use are a few live tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the Lenovo y410p have an easily accessible main disk drive? I can't seem to find disk replacement instructions on the downloadable user manual. Want to get the y410p but I want to shove an SSD in there, and I only see options for 1TB 5400+24GB SSD online.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Dell announced Haswell updates to the XPS 13 and XPS 15.
The XPS 15 looks to be positioned to compete directly with the MBPro retina now.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/dell-xps-13-15-refreshed/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Naffer posted:

The XPS 15 looks to be positioned to compete directly with the MBPro retina now.
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/02/dell-xps-13-15-refreshed/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

That XPS 15 looks amazing. I just hate the Dell logo :(

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Freakin' finally. Should not have taken them this long to recycle 90% of the parts from the (albeit unreleased) M3800.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Martytoof posted:

Does the Lenovo y410p have an easily accessible main disk drive? I can't seem to find disk replacement instructions on the downloadable user manual. Want to get the y410p but I want to shove an SSD in there, and I only see options for 1TB 5400+24GB SSD online.

There's a detailed description of how to do this with pictures around page 90 of this thread by Quarkjets.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hadlock posted:

Do you drive a T530 by any chance?

T430s but I'm pretty sure it has the same logo. It's a seriously bad bit of design

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Socrates16 posted:

There's a detailed description of how to do this with pictures around page 90 of this thread by Quarkjets.

Ah bien! Thanks, that helps. Still debating the 410 but if I do it's nice to know it's not too difficult.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dissss posted:

T430s but I'm pretty sure it has the same logo. It's a seriously bad bit of design

There was a bad batch of logos (or logo adhesive?) it seems, you're at least the third person in this thread to complain about the same letter on that logo. It's probably a known issue and is probably also covered under warranty if you want to go that route.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheDemon posted:

What's currently out there in terms of convertible ultrabooks (or similar), other than waiting for the new lenovo yoga?

With Haswell I think it's just the Sony Vaio Duo 13 (11 is still last gen), and Dell XPS12 right now.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Naffer posted:

What is the build quality like on those? The XPS 13 looks interesting but I've always had this preconceived idea that Dell laptops are cheap feeling. Is it stupid to ask whether the XPS 13 is comparable to the 13" Macbook Air?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
XPS 12 owners tell us about that carbon fiber base. I imagine the larger models will have identical feel and build?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shofixti posted:

What is the build quality like on those? The XPS 13 looks interesting but I've always had this preconceived idea that Dell laptops are cheap feeling. Is it stupid to ask whether the XPS 13 is comparable to the 13" Macbook Air?

They had the previous model @ Best Buy if you want to fondle one. They're pretty solid.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
We just got our order of Latitude E7440 for work and I'm in love. It's like the classiness of an XPS but the sturdiness and practicality of a Latitude.

I may buy one of these for personal use. I love the blue trackpoint, I feel like Dell is tell me, yes, this is your new Thinkpad. I may get the 12" one for home though as I like smaller laptops.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

We just got our order of Latitude E7440 for work and I'm in love. It's like the classiness of an XPS but the sturdiness and practicality of a Latitude.

I may buy one of these for personal use. I love the blue trackpoint, I feel like Dell is tell me, yes, this is your new Thinkpad. I may get the 12" one for home though as I like smaller laptops.

Is it the E7240 you are looking at? I cant tell, but it looks like it doesnt have a trackpoint like its bigger brothers. It actually looks reasonably decent, but the price for the specs (generic 1366x768 screen, 128GB SSD, $1350) kinda stings.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Bob Morales posted:

They had the previous model @ Best Buy if you want to fondle one. They're pretty solid.

Good idea - unfortunately Canadian Best Buys don't seem to stock them according to their website :( I'm relying on certified Goon Opinions™.

Seamonster posted:

XPS 12 owners tell us about that carbon fiber base. I imagine the larger models will have identical feel and build?

I'm reading more and they sound solid so you could be right.

I suppose I'm just very pessimistic at this point and unable to believe that a consumer line Dell laptop can actually be any good due to some past experiences (with admittedly cheaper Dell laptops). I'm basically looking for a 13" macbook air except with Windows. Boot camp seems stupid if I'm never going to use OSX at all.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I just ordered a HP Elitebook 840 G1, since they had a pricing error that I hope they honour. $1099 for 3 yr warranty, i7-4600U, 256gb SSD, 1080p screen, magnesium body).

Did I make a huge mistake (a.k.a should I cancel)

EDIT: Cancelled it, decided I'd rather not make a $1000 investment without having any reviews

mmm11105 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 2, 2013

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

AgentHaiTo posted:

We just ordered 9 of these for work, scheduled to show up on the 16th. I feel much better about our decision to go with the E7440 now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seamonster posted:

I don't have much to compare it to, but mine feels sturdy and I have no complaints about. Even with the flippy screen, it doesn't feel flimsy.

I guess XPS is Dell's "Give a poo poo" line?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Bishyaler posted:

We just ordered 9 of these for work, scheduled to show up on the 16th. I feel much better about our decision to go with the E7440 now.

We ordered 12, and then 9 a couple days later(one department had cold feet). We got the 1920 screen, 8GB ram, and 128GB SSD for about $1500. I think our users will love it. These are going to replace our very old Latitude D630s so it's going to blow their minds.

My work is a Dell only shop, but I own a Thinkpad x120e myself, so I'm not partial either way.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

drk posted:

Is it the E7240 you are looking at? I cant tell, but it looks like it doesnt have a trackpoint like its bigger brothers. It actually looks reasonably decent, but the price for the specs (generic 1366x768 screen, 128GB SSD, $1350) kinda stings.

No, we got the 14" E7440. I was actually pushing for the 12" for mobility, but the price was higher, and more people still wanted bigger screens.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was really impressed with the build quality on the first gen XPS 12. Second and third gen manufactured laptops can only be better. Smooth and solid, no creaks or flex. One reviewer called it "plastic" on accident, probably because it fits so well. Better than plastic, really. Dell did a really great job with their CF manufacturing tech. Near or at Apple build quality. I haven't seen their next gen stuff yet though so I can't confirm.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Correct, there aren't any for sale yet. The x240 is rumored to have a 1080p screen, but what's available in which country is yet to be seen. All the reviews so far have come out of Germany and one hong Kong university website

Lenovo's U.S. site says it will have 1080p. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x240/

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo's website also says the Y410 is shipping in less than 10 days :drat:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah but it's estimated shipping in 10 days. It's not estimated 1080p.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are the red keyboard and speaker accents less garish looking in person? They're about the only thing putting me off a Y410p right now. I think I'm just going to get a T430s and call it a day :(

I wish they let you customize a laptop without those.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I think the red on the keyboard is only the backlight, so that can be toggled off if you don't want (I may be wrong though). Can't speak for the speakers.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I doubt it's changed much between the yX00p and the yX10p series, and my y500p is't very obnoxious. The speaker grills are a very very dark red, so basically black. The backlight is red, and I don't know if there's a way to turn it off. It's really not garish it all, it's just red instead of another color. When the lid is closed there's no red visible and it's just a nice looking black laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEAL IS DEAD

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 3, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
There's no way that price is correct...is there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FISHMANPET posted:

The backlight is red, and I don't know if there's a way to turn it off.

The keyboard backlight can be turned off on the y410p.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bob Morales posted:

Just saw this on Slickdeals today:

HP EliteBook 840 G1 Notebook PC
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)
Intel® Core™ i7-4600U (2.1GHz w/ Turbo, 4MB Cache) Processor
14.0-inch diagonal LED FHD UWA Anti-Glare (1920 x 1080)
720p HD Webcam
Radeon HD 8750M (1GB) Graphics
16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 2DM Memory
256 GB Solid-State Drive (SSD)
Optical drive not included
Backlit keyboard with touchpad with scroll zone and gesture support
802.11abgn ac + BT (2x2)
Bluetooth® Wireless Technology 4.0
HP Fingerprint Reader
HP 3-Cell 50 Wh Polymer/Prismatic Long Life Battery
HP Elite Support with limited 3 year standard parts and labor warranty
3/3/0 Year WorldWide Limited Warranty

Weight: Starting at 3.48 lb;

$1099

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/103...8750m-windows-8

I generally disdain anything from HP or Dell, but holy poo poo. Is this real?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
You can also get the 4.15 lb 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit FHD WVA anti-glare (1920 x 1080) 850 G1 for $1099. (Edit: but no SSD or that memory...)

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

Hadlock posted:

Yeah, well my y510p was supposed to ship last Monday. Take those shipping dates with about a half a pound of salt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MatCauthon posted:

I generally disdain anything from HP or Dell, but holy poo poo. Is this real?

I don't know that particular model well, but Elitebooks are pretty decent business-class laptops and are the only HPs that don't totally suck.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I chatted with an HP rep, that is a pricing error, it will be changed and all orders cancelled.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The keyboard backlight can be turned off on the y410p.

Are the keycaps red at all with the light turned off? That's kind of what it looks like, and I can't tell whether the keys are molded from transparent red plastic underneath or whether it's just a red light shining through clear transparent plastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I honestly can't tell. With the backlight out the keys just look black to me.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For anyone curious as to how the P34G is turning out: http://david-lam.net/p34g.mp4

It actually looks...pretty good for what it is. Solid build quality, keyboard with only a little flex to it, trackpad that's been described as "not quite up to Apple's standards, but better than many," solid performance with the 760M, great screen, etc. It'll apparently get fuckin' hot at max-blast, but almost all the heat is successfully vented out the back so the keyboard area never gets uncomfortable. With a little undervolting of the (quite honestly over-powered) CPU, people are reporting ~4hrs of web-browsing, which isn't bad considering it's under 4 lbs.

It's already available at some boutique stores and Anandtech should have a review up within a week. Unless they turn up some massive flaw, it looks like a perfect option for people looking for moderate-to-high end gaming but don't want to lug around a 7lbs laptop all day. Assuming you can afford it anyhow--an $800 YX10p it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a u410. I worry about the internal battery, not because I don't feel comfortable installing it and opening it, but because it means there is no real opportunity to get a better battery.

The y series from lenovo looks like it's doing well in terms of standardization with the ultrabay, in my mind I'm hoping they come out with a nine cell variant.