Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

So I just found the lockon rocket launcher at the top of the skyscraper. Are there any other pickup weapons in the conquest map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I found the USAS with frag rounds and a M82 "CQB" on the Dom version, but I never got to use them.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Yod posted:

So I just found the lockon rocket launcher at the top of the skyscraper. Are there any other pickup weapons in the conquest map?

Same skyscraper, on the diagonally opposite corner, has an M82A1 with a rangefinder on it. OHKs everyone.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I keep getting the range finder rifle when the tower is up, then a drum fed grenade launcher in the rubble after it falls. The only lovely thing is they drop if you switch to another weapon rather than just replacing your primary.

Ed: also I finally got stabbed from the front so I could counter it :). It really is as easy as hammering F, no timing required.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So I've been able to play a couple rounds running at 50-60 fps on the auto-graphics settings. Then I stop for a little while to eat dinner or something, and when I come back, I can't get above 12 fps. No changes whatsoever in that time, but a restart gets me back to running properly. Anyone got an idea of what could cause that?

GTX 660 with 320.49 drivers
i5-3570K

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Is stinger damage affected by where it hits the helicopter? I shot down an attack chopper yesterday, but it took 4 missiles, only being disabled on the third. I know you get the damage buff from lased targets, but you're running well against the odds trying to score 4 hits faster than they can land and repair or just climb out of range.

Really like the regular RPG against air stuff when recons use their designator, though. That's a really nice change. Flight speed on the stinger seems vastly increased, too. Also a really good thing.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jisforjosh posted:

Where is this demo you speak of? Also who the hell was asked to pay $110 for pre-order?

Edit: vvv But that isn't necessary for the beta or to preorder for that matter.

It is pretty much required to plunk down 110 if you want to play BF4 + Expansions over the next year or so.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tathris posted:

As I mentioned earlier, a locked-on RPG will one-shot both types of helicopter, so they are not hard to deal with. The hardest part is finding a recon who ever uses the laser.
Conversely, the hardest part for me is finding someone to hit the targets I lased. :(

I wish I could play around with some longer-range optics on the sniper rifles. I really like how, so far, the combat allows for a lot of back-and-forth because the map is huge with ample amounts of cover, and nobody has any advanced optics (and all the attachments are essentially the cqc attachments). Adding in 3.4x scopes, or even 2x attachment stuff, might change a lot of that. The SCAR-H would just be mean with a scope.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Deeters posted:

So I've been able to play a couple rounds running at 50-60 fps on the auto-graphics settings. Then I stop for a little while to eat dinner or something, and when I come back, I can't get above 12 fps. No changes whatsoever in that time, but a restart gets me back to running properly. Anyone got an idea of what could cause that?

GTX 660 with 320.49 drivers
i5-3570K

I really suspect there are some memory leak issues involved.

I've played the demo twice now. The first session I had TERRIBLE performance that did not improve with resolution or graphical settings changes. The second session was directly after a machine reboot and it was an immense improvement over the first session in every quantifiable way, performance wise.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Spending the time to unlock the AK5C was a really good decision. This thing rocks.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ravenfood posted:

Conversely, the hardest part for me is finding someone to hit the targets I lased. :(

I wish I could play around with some longer-range optics on the sniper rifles. I really like how, so far, the combat allows for a lot of back-and-forth because the map is huge with ample amounts of cover, and nobody has any advanced optics (and all the attachments are essentially the cqc attachments). Adding in 3.4x scopes, or even 2x attachment stuff, might change a lot of that. The SCAR-H would just be mean with a scope.

The lasing/locking thing is some kind of vicious cycle. If I run around as recon, I can laze poo poo all day and maybe get one or two RPG hits on my target, which makes me stop lazing and go engineer. Meantime, as an engineer, I barely ever see locks, so I don't really position myself in the best areas to respond to them.

I can't wait for the full customization options-don't forget that any weapon can have the canted BUIS as well, so imagine running something like a SCAR with a 4x/muzzle brake/canted irons/AFG(which reduces FSRM by 50%). Or even as I said before, SCAR with the eotech/mag setup and whatever else you want-I do wonder if DMRs will have the option for longer-range sights though, because running an M110 with a 6x/BUIS will be insane, especially in HC mode.

All the new sight options wreak a bit of havoc with the speciaization aspect of it, though. In BF3 you had that tradeoff in CQB effectiveness if you were running high-mag scopes. From what it looks like in the beta, that's not really a choice you'll have to make any more.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is happening with the Goon Server situation?

I heard some guys were thinking about taking over, but if noone steps up to the plate here I wouldn't mind running a vanilla WookWook 3.0 server for a month or two. I don't have the desire/time to screw around with balancing plugins and all that anymore (stupid job :argh:)

I've been watching the thread for a few months now, nobody's made any public announcements yet, in either direction.

I guess we could use the goon Planetside 2 beta Mumble since everyone seems to have migrated over there anyways, if they're ok with that.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
One thing I can't complain about is my 14 ping on the Chicago server.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

I really suspect there are some memory leak issues involved.

A leak with the beta or with something else I've got running in the background? I figure I can try ending as many processes as I can find the next time I see it happen. I don't know any other way to search for a leak.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ed: also I finally got stabbed from the front so I could counter it :). It really is as easy as hammering F, no timing required.

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. It really just means free kills for players who are either good or have played long enough to know what button to mash. I kinda wish it was a Zelda-style back and forth with different keys to see who fucks up first. Maybe that's too much of a gimmick, but man.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hadlock posted:

I heard some guys were thinking about taking over, but if noone steps up to the plate here I wouldn't mind running a vanilla WookWook 3.0 server for a month or two. I don't have the desire/time to screw around with balancing plugins and all that anymore (stupid job :argh:)

I've been watching the thread for a few months now, nobody's made any public announcements yet, in either direction.

I guess we could use the goon Planetside 2 beta Mumble since everyone seems to have migrated over there anyways, if they're ok with that.

Maybe they're waiting for the full release before anything gets announced?

Sorry to see you step down from running those servers. I certainly wasn't the most active BF Goon, but I had a hell of time with you guys when I was playing. Judge Bullets represent.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013
Found out something interesting, the static rocket launchers (HJ-8 LAUNCHER/M220 TOW LAUNCHER) can lock onto recon SOFLAM targets just like the RPG and shoot up in the air like javelins from BF3.
I'm guessing they do more damage that way. I could not test it since my rocket flew up and hit a building. :eng99:

SAMARIX fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 3, 2013

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Deeters posted:

A leak with the beta or with something else I've got running in the background? I figure I can try ending as many processes as I can find the next time I see it happen. I don't know any other way to search for a leak.

A leak with the Beta, or perhaps Battlelog.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe they're waiting for the full release before anything gets announced?

Sorry to see you step down from running those servers. I certainly wasn't the most active BF Goon, but I had a hell of time with you guys when I was playing. Judge Bullets represent.

Here, look at this. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568965

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, how can people say the audio is great? The guns sound terrible, and getting winged by snipers is a gently caress of a lot less scary since it's the generic "ZIII-POW! ZWWOOOSH!" movie sniper sounds instead of the way, way more realistic pops that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck in BF3.

I can barely tell the difference between any of the rifles/pdws outside of damage output and mag size.

It's reasonably fun though and RPGs not lofting through the air at 1mph is nice.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Deeters posted:

As already mentioned before, this is pretty standard behavior for a memory leak. Lowering your texture quality seems to delay the problem a bit longer.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Hadlock posted:

Here you go:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568965

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fabricated posted:

Man, how can people say the audio is great? The guns sound terrible, and getting winged by snipers is a gently caress of a lot less scary since it's the generic "ZIII-POW! ZWWOOOSH!" movie sniper sounds instead of the way, way more realistic pops that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck in BF3.

That's what it is! The audio overall is pretty great, but something felt off to me, and this is it. I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the weapon/bullet sounds overall, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
ho ho holy poo poo, apparently my problem with the MX4 this whole time was bothering to ADS. Now I just do some bursting from the hip while stationary and I kill enemies 50 meters away like it's nothing. I feel like I'm more accurate hip firing than I am ADS with most assault rifles. What is this world??

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
What's ADS?

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Aim Down Sights

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

canyoneer posted:

I've yet to see a Stinger get fired in the BF4 beta.

Why would you fire a stinger when the rpg takes down the heli in one shot.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. It really just means free kills for players who are either good or have played long enough to know what button to mash. I kinda wish it was a Zelda-style back and forth with different keys to see who fucks up first. Maybe that's too much of a gimmick, but man.

This might be a little too involved, but they could at least do something like make it a different key to hit. Cycle between f, e, and v, or something.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

keyframe posted:

Why would you fire a stinger when the rpg takes down the heli in one shot.

Because some people aren't men of the glorious Soviet States.

Also, is it pretty much agreed that in the beta the X25 airburst thing is the new King Carl or what?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Batham posted:

As already mentioned before, this is pretty standard behavior for a memory leak. Lowering your texture quality seems to delay the problem a bit longer.

I figured it was with the beta, but because of it I happened to find a stupid toolbar/spyware thing that got installed. :unsmith:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lazyfire posted:

Also, is it pretty much agreed that in the beta the X25 airburst thing is the new King Carl or what?

It's not bullshit overpowered, but goddamn I now can't wait to get ammo boxes and just be king poo poo of counter-enfillade mountain with that thing. Finally figured out how to properly use it and :circlefap: goddamn.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

It is really nice to be able to pull a baby rocket launcher out if your rear end if you stumble around a corner and into a tank.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
So are goons playing together anywhere at the moment or are we all waiting for the actual release to coordinate?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
First time I used it was when I bailed out of a tank and one of my budds yelled that the tank in front of us only had 3% life left. Needless to say, it felt like this.

I was hooked and started using it on people pubbies and well...if you do not XM-25, you do not play BF4 correctly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

Nope, its a pretty reasonable weapon all around. I'd like to see the rounds travel a little more slowly and be a lot more visibly obvious to reduce its effectiveness in a straight gunfight, but its okay now. Maybe it'll be bad once every support has unlimited ammo for them, but right now they're good but not overpowered.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Do we have a fix for the infinite load screen? It's really killing me to team up with a great squad and then hit forever-loading when the map cycles. :(

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Do we have a fix for the infinite load screen? It's really killing me to team up with a great squad and then hit forever-loading when the map cycles. :(

I had the same problem until I updated punkbuster

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

General Battuta posted:

I made a video showing Battlefield 4 in all of it's glory.
BF4 | LOADING

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Naturally Selected posted:

The lasing/locking thing is some kind of vicious cycle. If I run around as recon, I can laze poo poo all day and maybe get one or two RPG hits on my target, which makes me stop lazing and go engineer. Meantime, as an engineer, I barely ever see locks, so I don't really position myself in the best areas to respond to them.

It's always like this for me too. However on the rare occasions when someone is actually painting or shoots my targets is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Soarer posted:

It's always like this for me too. However on the rare occasions when someone is actually painting or shoots my targets is glorious.

Oh yes, the first time I spent some serious time lazing, there were 3 or 4 engineers that were on point and it was intense. Got something around 5K points in a very short time.

Also, just got the ammo box. Time to sit in a corner and clear roofs with my pocket bomber. :getin:

• Locked thread