Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Haha holy poo poo RPG OHK lock ons with the recon's soflam are literally gamebreaking and retarded now that everyone knows about it. Plus they make stingers completely redundant. They also don't even give you an incoming tone (that beep beep you get when you're flying and get locked on), just the regular tone from the soflam. Just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The RFB needs "do not operate without heavy barrel" printed on it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Someguy posted:

Haha holy poo poo RPG OHK lock ons with the recon's soflam are literally gamebreaking and retarded now that everyone knows about it. Plus they make stingers completely redundant. They also don't even give you an incoming tone (that beep beep you get when you're flying and get locked on), just the regular tone from the soflam. Just terrible.

They also can't be flared.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Someguy posted:

You need to break line of sight more often.

Sedisp posted:

They also can't be flared.
This is incorrect.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Do we have a fix for the infinite load screen? It's really killing me to team up with a great squad and then hit forever-loading when the map cycles. :(
If it's anything like BF3's loading issues, try hitting Alt+Enter a couple of times (this toggles windowed mode once then back). See if that helps?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The best thing about the XM25 is the SHEER RAGE that it induces in lovely, roof-camping snipers. Once someone in this thread mentioned that it's pretty much a rooftop wookiee killer, I tried it and HOLY poo poo THAT IS SO TRUE. Free kills everywhere!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Can rpgs actually lock onto things irl? I always picture them as being dumbfire only. I did find a recon in one game who was all about lazing, and following him around all game was just fantastic. I like to get on top of the tower and laze everything, but the choppers just won't leave you alone up there for five seconds.

Also, does the big sniper rifle pickup on the tower damage vehicles??? I brought down a transport chopper with it somehow, but I was definitely aiming at the door gunners and probably missing.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Welsper posted:

This is incorrect.

:rolleyes:

It literally takes 2 seconds to acquire a lock with the RPG, and the mach speed flight time barely gives you enough time to flare (assuming you have one, which might not work and takes 25 seconds to rearm), it also assumes you knew the RPG was coming in the first place, but you didn't because there is no differentiating tone between the soflam providing the lock and the RPG on it's way.

There isn't much justification for this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dice changes it in some way.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Siege of Shanghai should renamed Siege of LoS breaks, why are you getting locked in the first place?

You should also be running stealth coating on the attack chopper, hope this helps.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Welsper posted:

This is incorrect.

Flares can be used to break the lock but once they're in flight they cannot be. Or it's insanely buggy because I've been tagged multiple helis that attempted to flare with a SOFLAMED RPG.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've hit through flares with the launcher you find at C.

It's best to just ignore welsper by the way, 90% of what he says can be summed up by ":smug: why aren't you MLG pro, how dare you get caught out sometimes you bad"

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Welsper posted:

Siege of Shanghai should renamed Siege of LoS breaks, why are you getting locked in the first place?

You should also be running stealth coating on the attack chopper, hope this helps.

But I'm pretty sure you're an awful pilot though?

edit:^^^ yeah, figured as much, some goons despite being not good at games (which is fine, who cares) will try to convince you they are not awful, just embrace it

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

Flares can be used to break the lock but once they're in flight they cannot be. Or it's insanely buggy because I've been tagged multiple helis that attempted to flare with a SOFLAMED RPG.

I'm basing my presumption on RPG misses after I've flared a SOFLAM lock, but it's possible they were just dumbfires.

Someguy posted:

But I'm pretty sure you're an awful pilot though?

edit:^^^ yeah, figured as much, some goons despite being not good at games (which is fine, who cares) will try to convince you they are not awful, just embrace it

I'm not having issues with RPGs, QED.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh hey it's happening again. I disconnect only a few minutes after joining. I just updated punkbuster for BF4 yesterday. If this is something that continues on then fun game or not I'm not buying a game I can't play.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Welsper posted:

They can be incredibly effective on Shanghai you ever attempt to try and clear out a rooftop wookie convention. My worry is other maps won't be as LOS exploitable as Shanghai.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sedisp posted:

They can be incredibly effective on Shanghai you ever attempt to try and clear out a rooftop wookie convention. My worry is other maps won't be as LOS exploitable as Shanghai.

The PLD and RPG seem to max out at ~300m for locks, so it might not be too bad given how well the helis keep momentum.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Sedisp posted:

What, you mean every other map won't have 30 skyscrapers to navigate for cover?

Welsper posted:

Just wait until you play against competent players that know how to use them, I guess. Also, attack helicopters are not the only helicopters.

edit: in the game, not just this map, try and think of the bigger picture

Someguy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 3, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Someguy posted:

Also, attack helicopters are not the only helicopters.

Default key for flares on Transport Helicopters is "X", which should help with your RPG problem.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey helicopters I know its tough that you're no longer able to kill everything now that you have to deal with things like "ammo" and "counter-measure recharge time being longer than the reload speed of a launcher," but try to stay strong, DICE will probably gently caress it all up at some point anyways :smuggo:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Welsper posted:

Default key for flares on Transport Helicopters is "X", which should help with your RPG problem.

This reminds me, why are there always a bunch of people asking what key does what? Because I'm left handed, I need to rebind everything, thus I know what key does what. Do people really not look at the controls for these games?

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This reminds me, why are there always a bunch of people asking what key does what? Because I'm left handed, I need to rebind everything, thus I know what key does what. Do people really not look at the controls for these games?

That would require common sense and effort, two things most gamers have a distinct lack of.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Hey helicopters I know its tough that you're no longer able to kill everything now that you have to deal with things like "ammo" and "counter-measure recharge time being longer than the reload speed of a launcher," but try to stay strong, DICE will probably gently caress it all up at some point anyways :smuggo:

Yeah this is slowing down my kpm by at least half, I'm having to pause between rampages and can't just count on players being a terrible shot with RPGs anymore :argh:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Hadlock posted:

Yeah this is slowing down my kpm by at least half, I'm having to pause between rampages and can't just count on players being a terrible shot with RPGs anymore :argh:

Anything that makes skygods unhappy is perfectly fine in my book. I wish they'd let tank shells one-shot helis again. I wonder how guided shells fare against them now too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't know about you but even as a pilot it feels so right. The only thing is I think maybe the Anti-air missiles take a little long to reload, but that will change when the game releases and people are having more varied anti-air options like stingers and such.

It felt SO loving GOOD to do strafing runs on tanks and fly between the buildings or low over your own tanks.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
No way the AK5c is going live in it's present state. It's literally the M16A3 from BF3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Anything that makes skygods unhappy is perfectly fine in my book. I wish they'd let tank shells one-shot helis again. I wonder how guided shells fare against them now too.

They reverted that? For fucks sake :dice:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Orv posted:

They reverted that? For fucks sake :dice:

It doesn't even disable them for fucks sake but I've had people freak out when they get hit and crash. Either that or the tank shell itself places force on the helicopter which would make it fly into the closest hard object. I found it easier to kill helicopters with the secondary machine guns on vehicles though.

What happened to small arms doing damage to attack choppers from the original shanghai trailer?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yeah I don't know if the attack chopper gets shoved around more than the transport chopper, but I found in the transport if I was near a building or the ground when we got hit it was more a matter of luck than skill that kept me from crashing. I can only imagine what the poor Little Bird is gonna feel like. :ohdear:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

A game is only balanced when the things I don't use are lovely. :smuggo:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Target Practice posted:

Yeah I don't know if the attack chopper gets shoved around more than the transport chopper, but I found in the transport if I was near a building or the ground when we got hit it was more a matter of luck than skill that kept me from crashing. I can only imagine what the poor Little Bird is gonna feel like. :ohdear:

I really hope that the littlebird gets shoved around by minigun/small arms fire. :laugh: The boat/transport miniguns are deadly enough as it is, watching them launch an LB into a cliff/building/off the map will be the best poo poo.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Sedisp posted:

A game is only balanced when the things I don't use are lovely. :smuggo:

You're right, invincible autist chariots are much better for everyone.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ularg posted:

It doesn't even disable them for fucks sake but I've had people freak out when they get hit and crash. Either that or the tank shell itself places force on the helicopter which would make it fly into the closest hard object. I found it easier to kill helicopters with the secondary machine guns on vehicles though.

What happened to small arms doing damage to attack choppers from the original shanghai trailer?

Keep in mind that disabling is no longer a thing in BF4. What happens is "critical hits" where vehicles (APC's, tank, helicopters, etc) will lose manoeuvrability like a disable in BF3, but eventually recover and be back to regular speed just with lower health. They'll also no longer slowly lose health until repaired. I haven't driven a tank so I don't know how long a critical hit effect actually lasts but I would hope its more than a few seconds.

And I think those hit markets came from hitting the pilot or gunner through the canopy.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 3, 2013

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ularg posted:

Tank shells definitely seem to gently caress up attack choppers pretty hard:

Right after this my gunner gave the chopper a short burst and killed it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Do critical vehicle hits do anything other than slow them down? I haven't experienced anything yet, but I was under the impression that it could do poo poo like knock out the gun or, in armored vehicles, the video feed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Pharmaskittle posted:

Do critical vehicle hits do anything other than slow them down? I haven't experienced anything yet, but I was under the impression that it could do poo poo like knock out the gun or, in armored vehicles, the video feed.
Pretty sure my tank once got lit on fire and started burning like being disabled in BF3, though I'm not too sure on that cause I blew up to RPGs soon after. I also once had my tread knocked out and couldn't move at all.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I dunno, if you have any chopper talent at all, it's pretty hard to get locked onto on this map with all the line-of-sight breaking buildings. Stick to the roads, kill tanks, life is good.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

It feels like the way things are now, the stinger is meant to just sort of annoy choppers enough to make them go away. If you make a concerted effort between a recon and a couple engineers you can definitely take out any pilots dumb enough to stick around though.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Why would anyone wanna give up their RPG for a stinger? I mean even the RPG is a better anti air weapon imo

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I dunno if it's just because rockets are faster or tank drivers are dumber at the moment but goddamn I've been having so much fun playing engineer, and it was my least favorite class in BF3. so many baller moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

Aside from a glitch with punkbuster, the beta ran beautifully on my i7-3770k, GeForce GTX-760 with 2 gb RAM and 16 gb RAM. 1920x1080p, ultra quality, no noticeable dips in frame rate.

I also noticed I'm much worse at this than BF3. If anyone's looking to play, add Hizballin on Origin.

Added. Origin ID is VodkaPowered. I'm still on the fence on this one, maybe playing with goons will sway me.

• Locked thread