Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cernunnos posted:

I pulled this and the Zweilous from 1 of my 5 free packs and now all I need is a few Deino of various flavors and maybe some Psychics and I'm making a Dark/Psychic deck.
If you can get the starter deck that he comes in, he comes with Golurk and Houndoom, who are really good for what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Redemption code "dragonsexalted" gives you an ugly tshirt. If you can stop snickering immaturely long enough to type 'alted'.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you can get the starter deck that he comes in, he comes with Golurk and Houndoom, who are really good for what they are.

Well now I have 2 things on my "To Get" list. This deck and the HG/SS Daybreak deck for this ridiculous thing. :stare:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

e.: nevermind, fixed

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 3, 2013

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Is there a list of the good trainer cards I should be going for and which expansions/theme decks they come in?

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
Ugh gently caress that Power Relay deck so hard. I was playing against someone using a steel-themed deck and both of our strategies degenerated into seeing who could win the most coin flips. I mostly got tails and he endlessly one-shot my pokemon by winning both flips his attack needed, doing 140 damage.

Nearly every drat pokemon in that deck demands some amount of luck for the big damage. Pisses me off.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Oh god. I hadn't even heard of this before clicking the thread.

Don't... don't do this to me Nintendo.

:negative:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

soscannonballs posted:

Is there a list of the good trainer cards I should be going for and which expansions/theme decks they come in?

Professor Juniper - It shows up in the Basic Red deck, the Power Relay deck, and in various other decks. Drawing a new hand on-demand is always a good thing. If you don't have anything useful in your hand, why bother keeping it when you can give yourself a second chance with a new, full hand? I always play four, but three is a good number to play, while two just doesn't seem to be enough.

Pokemon Catcher - Gives you the ability to force an opponent's benched Pokémon out as an active, which essentially means you can pick-and-choose who to knock out before you attack. I'd run at least two in a deck. Note that the card is getting changed when the X/Y set comes out to require a coin flip, and when that happens, it'll no longer be as useful.

Computer Search - This was a rare card in Base Set and had no real limitations, but it was reprinted pretty recently as an "Ace Spec" card. Ace Spec cards are a subset of Trainer cards that have one limitation: you can only play one Ace Spec card in your deck total. So you can't play Computer Search and, say, Dowsing Machine in the same deck. Out of all the Ace Spec cards, Computer Search has the most utility, letting you grab whatever you want from your deck (probably a Professor Juniper or a stage 2 evolution or special energy or whatever). Unfortunately, it's a rare card. Unless you can trade for one, they show up in the Boundaries Crossed expansion, so you can try your luck on those booster packs. Thankfully, Boundaries Crossed has quite a lot of good cards in general.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Professor Juniper - It shows up in the Basic Red deck, the Power Relay deck, and in various other decks. Drawing a new hand on-demand is always a good thing. If you don't have anything useful in your hand, why bother keeping it when you can give yourself a second chance with a new, full hand? I always play four, but three is a good number to play, while two just doesn't seem to be enough.

Pokemon Catcher - Gives you the ability to force an opponent's benched Pokémon out as an active, which essentially means you can pick-and-choose who to knock out before you attack. I'd run at least two in a deck. Note that the card is getting changed when the X/Y set comes out to require a coin flip, and when that happens, it'll no longer be as useful.

Computer Search - This was a rare card in Base Set and had no real limitations, but it was reprinted pretty recently as an "Ace Spec" card. Ace Spec cards are a subset of Trainer cards that have one limitation: you can only play one Ace Spec card in your deck total. So you can't play Computer Search and, say, Dowsing Machine in the same deck. Out of all the Ace Spec cards, Computer Search has the most utility, letting you grab whatever you want from your deck (probably a Professor Juniper or a stage 2 evolution or special energy or whatever). Unfortunately, it's a rare card. Unless you can trade for one, they show up in the Boundaries Crossed expansion, so you can try your luck on those booster packs. Thankfully, Boundaries Crossed has quite a lot of good cards in general.

Thanks. I played a lot when I was a kid pretty much from the time the first set came out all the way until Neo 3-4, so I am familiar with how good cards like Professor Oak/Bill/Comp Search are. I figured I would go for cards like that first since they pretty much go into any deck I decide to make.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Signed up as Julias01.

This is a pretty chill card game, compared to Magic or Yu-gi-oh. I remember playing this all the time in elementary school, though the pokemon were nowhere near as strong. Keldeo EX is broken, especially when combined with the Blastoise that lets you play as many water energy per turn as you have.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
gently caress those people who put 4 Darkrei EX's in their decks :argh:.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

soscannonballs posted:

Thanks. I played a lot when I was a kid pretty much from the time the first set came out all the way until Neo 3-4, so I am familiar with how good cards like Professor Oak/Bill/Comp Search are. I figured I would go for cards like that first since they pretty much go into any deck I decide to make.

The only problem now is that most of those card advantage trainers are under the Supporter subset (namely Professor Juniper, Cheren, Bianca, any trainer card based on a person) and you can only play one of those per turn. On the one hand, I miss chaining Professor Oaks one after another in a mad dash to get all my combo pieces in place by turn two, but on the other hand, the game feels more balanced now than it was before.

Cityinthesea posted:

When you kill one with your lovely Toxicroak or Palpitoad thanks to poison and/or confusion respectively, it feels good man. :getin:

I should make a list of Pokémon that are good against EX Pokémon in general. Bouffalant was mentioned earlier, since he's both easy to fit in any deck and can use his attack by turn two thanks to Double Colorless Energy.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 3, 2013

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Cityinthesea posted:

Haven't actually played with them yet but one of the plasma theme decks has these guys: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Suicune_%28Plasma_Blast_20%29 which seem like they could do some work.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It's in the Solar Strike deck and definitely seems like a worthy addition to any deck using Water types.

So that plus the 2 Bouffalant and the 2 Double Colorless Energy's from the Basic Grass deck would make a good start to an anti-EX deck.

Edit: Fun fact: Eviolite is ridiculous in this, in that it can be used on Bouffalant and it stacks with its ability. Hello designated Tank.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 3, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

W.T. Fits posted:

I've run into a bug. I'm in the middle of a match against Penelope in the Trainer's Challenge, I just knocked out one of her Pokemon, but it's not letting me draw one of my last two prizes, even though I'm being prompted to do so.

I can interact with/mouse over pretty much any other part of the play area and cards in play, but the game refuses to recognize me clicking on either of my last two prizes. Has anyone else had this happen, and is there any kind of fix or solution that doesn't involve me having to forfeit the game and start over from scratch?

(Gonna be pissed if I have to throw this game; I've got a fully loaded Lapras out as my active and a fully loaded Samurott and Seismatoad on my bench. :argh: )

Ended up just closing the game down. Sucked that I had to redo the whole match, but in the end, it was better than the response I got from their Tech Support, which was, "Uninstall, then reinstall the game." :v:

Think I'm gonna see what, if any, theme decks are available at work tomorrow.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

soscannonballs posted:

Here is a very good article on what some of the more desirable supporter cards you'd want and some of the noob traps to avoid. Here is also another good article on basic deckbuilding that has a list of more general good trainer cards. Sixprizes is a great resource for people just starting out in the Pokemon TCG and I would highly recommend these articles as they were the ones that helped me tune my starter decks into something workable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Youremother posted:

Here is a very good article on what some of the more desirable supporter cards you'd want and some of the noob traps to avoid. Here is also another good article on basic deckbuilding that has a list of more general good trainer cards. Sixprizes is a great resource for people just starting out in the Pokemon TCG and I would highly recommend these articles as they were the ones that helped me tune my starter decks into something workable.

Added that site to OP under links. My MTG background revolved around either playing very few creatures or none at all, and carrying that philosophy over to Pokémon didn't work so well outside of trainer cards to use. I could always use more info.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

The AI just Communicationed Simipour into Simipour, then the next turn did it again, then a second time on the second turn. They don't even have a Panpour.

Edit: As expected, my first attempt at deckbuilding since I was 10 turned out HILARIOUSLY bad.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 3, 2013

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Does Plus Power work with Raticate's Super Fang to ohko any pokemon?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I don't think so, since Raticate's is an effect rather than actual damage at work.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I'd love to play this - I was a big fan of the game when I was 10. It won't seem to let me log in though - I keep getting Error 500 messages.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Oh man I tried to drum up interest for this in the Pokémon thread and got nowhere so this thread makes me so happy :allears: When I get home I'll figure out my username (Probably WaldorfSixpence) and challenge some of you guys to some games with my deck built exclusively around cards that other people have annoyed the piss out of me with. Crobat Crobat Crobat

Crobat.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Holy poo poo that thing would get to me quick. Though I love the art for it, it perfectly symbolizes "Wrong neighborhood motherfucker"

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
This game is a huge nostalgia trip so far, I'm in as Network42.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So I get 15 tokens daily (except every 5th day where you get a booster instead) and an additional 10/day for participating in a pvp match where as a new player without a deck full of legendaries I get my rear end handed to me on a platter in 2~3 turns. Great. I don't suppose there's a faster way to "save up for a theme deck" than to just log in every day and get clobbered for nearly the next two weeks? :sigh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Raitzeno posted:

So I get 15 tokens daily (except every 5th day where you get a booster instead) and an additional 10/day for participating in a pvp match where as a new player without a deck full of legendaries I get my rear end handed to me on a platter in 2~3 turns. Great. I don't suppose there's a faster way to "save up for a theme deck" than to just log in every day and get clobbered for nearly the next two weeks? :sigh:
You get varying amounts of tokens by playing against the AI; you'll want to do that anyway to unlock the Water/Fire/Grass theme decks for your own use. You also get a booster for maxing out the stars on each AI trainer. (Play on Expert to make that go faster; it's really not much harder than earlier levels since the AI is so dumb)

Youremother posted:

You're a gentleman and a scholar. :patriot: I'd figured out that more card draws=better, but the sheer number of supporters you should use surprised me. Now to spend a day reading articles so I actually have half an idea of what the gently caress I'm doing. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Do the Trainer Challenges against the AI, that's how I've been getting tokens quick. Also, make sure you do Theme Deck option for PvP, that way you just use the basic theme decks against opponents who are also using unmodified theme decks.

Glad to see a thread for this, brings back memories :) In-game name is Firebert.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Anyone know when the server maintenance is supposed to be over?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Just checked the main site myself to find that out.

11PM GMT. ~4 hours from now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
e: I'm dumb

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So those 4 codes that used to give the Power Relay deck now give the Rallying Cry deck instead. Except that anyone who redeemed all 4 for Power Relay decks can now redeem all four AGAIN for four Rallying Cry decks. Awesome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raitzeno posted:

So those 4 codes that used to give the Power Relay deck now give the Rallying Cry deck instead. Except that anyone who redeemed all 4 for Power Relay decks can now redeem all four AGAIN for four Rallying Cry decks. Awesome.
That's what I get for procrastinating. :bang:

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

Don't leave us hanging, what's in the rallying cry deck?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Apparently they changed the Trainer Challenge Deck unlocking system for puchased/redeemed decks. Not sure if this means no more free doubles or not. Someone should test this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, I was reading the updates stuff while the update installs to see what changed and, uh,

quote:

*Trainer Challenge: The card unlock system has been removed for all theme decks received via code or Trainer Token redemption. Players will now be able to use the exact content of these decks immediately, rather than gradually unlock the contents over 12 matches. The Basic decks will continue to use the unlock system.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Elblanco posted:

Don't leave us hanging, what's in the rallying cry deck?

Whismur's line, Jigglypuff's line, Tympole's line (not the same versions as Basic Blue), some Kangaskahns. I think the point is to use a lot of Round; Wigglytuff and Exploud both have it. Wigglytuff's does 20 per and Exploud's does 50 per pokemon you have on the field that know Round.

It's also got a shitload of Water Energy and I think a couple Double Colorless, I'll make sure on that in a minute.

E: Yeah there's 2 DCE per deck. Not that you need that many...

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 4, 2013

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
code:
15 Water Energy
2  Double Colorless Energy

2  Aspertia City Gym (Stadium)
2  Caitlin (Supporter)
2  Cheren
2  Cilan
2  Energy Retieval
2  Ether
2  Giant Cape
2  Level Ball
2  Switch

3  Chatot
3  Jigglypuff
3  Kangaskhan
3  Meowth
3  Tympole
3  Whismur
2  Loudred
2  Palpitoad
2  Wigglytuff
1  Exploud
The Tympole and Palpitoad are different from the Basic Water Deck ones too.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 4, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

It looks like they removed the unlocking thing for the decks other than Basic Red/Green/Blue and Basic Red/Green/Blue BW. Possibly due to the doubling thing. Shame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Keiya posted:

It looks like they removed the unlocking thing for the decks other than Basic Red/Green/Blue and Basic Red/Green/Blue BW. Possibly due to the doubling thing. Shame.
Someone said that literally three posts ago. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Not having to unlock the decks you bought via tokens is great. Not getting a duplicate deck is not so great. Guess you just take the good with the bad. I'll update the OP about this turn of events.

Also, gotta redeem that new deck!

EDIT: Looks like my Voltage Vortex deck can still be used in the Trainer Challenge for some reason. Though I did unlock everything already so whatever!

• Locked thread