Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

From the anime thread. I think SnK asks a very interesting question: what goes through the head of a mass murderer? By all accounts, Bert, Reiner and Annie are brave, admirable people outside of their wall-smashing man-squishing titan forms. They are not outright psychopaths, they are perfectly human with goals that just happen to be incompatible with every other human within the walls. They mentally put off the enormity of their actions so to avoid thinking of it, and they are too cowardly to change paths and go straight home, as that would mean admitting that all those deaths in the goal of mission were purely nihilistic.

Despite all of Reiner's protestations, he is still a soldier: on orders from some yet unknown polity, his actions killed many many people. Thus far, there isn't some kind of fascist holocaust apologia, the other humans are perfectly justified in killing or capturing them in as little time as possible so to save the lives of others.

I noticed a while back these two pages.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c034/37.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c034/38.html

Reiner and Berthold are playing Chess. Berthold is much more into the game and winning, whereas Reiner splits his attention away from the game to bond with his friends.

To finish the chess motif, Ymir later confirms http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c046/35.html http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c046/39.html

They're both just pawns.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Something I just thought of:

Is titan stomach acid a way to unfreeze annie?

What is the situation with fusing with the titan, do you lose your appendages? If you truly get "absorbed" then what is the point of cutting the neck of titans? Shouldn't there be nothing left?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What is the situation with fusing with the titan, do you lose your appendages? If you truly get "absorbed" then what is the point of cutting the neck of titans? Shouldn't there be nothing left?

I assume it would just encase a conscious Eren in his Erengelion, trapping him as well.I'm sorry I just really like that joke :v:

Also AFAIK titan stomach acid has no real properties to it, as Eren was splashing about it in for a little with exposed limbs. Maybe it would react to the crystal, but it seems unlikely.

Also, something I just remembered...
When I saw a piece of fan-art or promotional art that depicted Eren's titan form without skin.
With the exclusion of Ymir, all of the shifter Titans have exposed muscle, even the Armored Titan.
Could this be due to the fact that Ymir 'stole' the power of the titans from the shifter village, and that Eren was injected with(presumably) the titan solution? Whereas team BRA have had their titan shifting abilities seemingly specialized, Ymir and Eren's titans don't seem overly extraordinary.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 3, 2013

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Something I just thought of:

Is titan stomach acid a way to unfreeze annie?

I don't think there is any special properties to the stomach acid and Titan fusing is more an anime thing, I think the fusing was more to allude to how the walls are made out of titans.

quote:

Could this be due to the fact that Ymir 'stole' the power of the titans from the shifter village, and that Eren was injected with(presumably) the titan solution? Whereas team BRA have had their titan shifting abilities seemingly specialized, Ymir and Eren's titans don't seem overly extraordinary.

I disagree- Eren's titan seems more powerful than every other titan. Whenever Annie got hit, she would go flying. Reiner and Eren tangle as humans and Reiner subdues (a regenerating, tired) Eren, but as Titans Eren was mere moments from defeating him. Protagonist Powers or not, so far there have been two elf-eared Titans and they are both much more powerful than other titans.

I think the leadership of the Titan Shifters gets the best titanjuice. Grisha was in that group. I have no absolutely evidence to back this up though.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Protagonist Powers or not, so far there have been two elf-eared Titans and they are both much more powerful than other titans.

I wanted to reply that "Monkey Titan isn't elf-eared", but then I went back to check and he is indeed elf-eared. Could Eren and Monkey Titan be of the same "species" of Titan?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Actually, Eren was far fresher than Reiner when the two of them tangled, the latter had been through hell in Castle Utgard. Eren had been resting during the cart trip. And Reiner latter was still braining the Eren with single punches. Eren managed to get a good ground game on Reiner, but he needed Mikasa's help to even have a chance of winning.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Doflamingo posted:

There was actually something kind of like that in the Annie fight in the manga. Shame the anime dropped it 'cause it was pretty badass.

From the anime thread as well. It's actually weird, for some reason, they didn't draw Eren throwing Mikasa, it was basically implied by Mikasa standing next to Eren, and then suddenly appearing above Annie and slashing her hand.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Actually, Eren was far fresher than Reiner when the two of them tangled, the latter had been through hell in Castle Utgard. Eren had been resting during the cart trip. And Reiner latter was still braining the Eren with single punches. Eren managed to get a good ground game on Reiner, but he needed Mikasa's help to even have a chance of winning.
Yeah, this. Eren is good but Reiner is just nuts. And like I said before, if Mikasa gets to help, so does Bert. :v:

Bert does imply in the forest that Ymir would also run circles around him and Ernie in Titan form just because hers is so fast but we have no idea how good she is at close quarters combat because she held back during their final exam. I bring this up because her Titan is also pointy eared.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not good enough. Look how tiny she is hanging onto Reiner's back! Reiner could pull her off at any time and just bodyslam her into the ground. And she got mobbed by a dozen regular titan, even Eren would have slaughtered the lot.

The problem is that Ymir could completely screw them over, because she was agile enough to keep up with 3DMG in a forest, while Bert and Reiner couldn't transform inside the forest because their titan forms are way too big.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

Not good enough. Look how tiny she is hanging onto Reiner's back! Reiner could pull her off at any time and just bodyslam her into the ground. And she got mobbed by a dozen regular titan, even Eren would have slaughtered the lot.

That's debatable, the only time we saw him take on multiple titans at once he got his rear end handed over to him.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

MeLKoR posted:

That's debatable, the only time we saw him take on multiple titans at once he got his rear end handed over to him.

It was stated outright, if I recall correctly, that he waxed 20 titans before petering out the first time he transformed. Mixed heights, but he had no problem taking out 15m class titans like it wasn't poo poo, hitting 'em hard enough to blow his hands up. He ended up tuckering out and getting mobbed and STILL killed the gently caress out of that one deviant that got Thomas because he's MAD AS HELL, and he's NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE (teeth as weapon count thus far: 3?)

From what I've seen so far Ymir's titan form seems comparatively lovely. To be fair it clearly has situational advantages, and "being stuck on top of a tower (or riding the Armored Titan) surrounded by 7m-14/15m class titans" don't give her a chance to show off :v: but if you're not at least as big as the biggest "regular" titans (that we know of, anyway) you're at a pretty substantial disadvantage from all we've seen.

Ymir may be fast and agile, but she's sorta the 3DMG of titan-form in that the environment has to favor her or she's gonna get taken down pretty easily through simple mob tactics.

Eren handles mob tactics better out of sheer size, strength, and toothy, toothy determination. Even Armored gets taken down by enough titans, though, and he's the tankiest 15-meter of 'em all so there's only so much any titan of that size can do against a shitload of other ones.

Edit: Except for Bert. He's loving huge and can turn other titans into weapons. That is what he can do. I TOTALLY MISSED the fact that he was going to desperation-transform before Ymir outed herself as a shifter, but having the panel linked, it's plain as day. This manga is gooood.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 3, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Naw, that's still just Reiner, he's got his hands free and he's just launching 7m classes at the Scouting Legion. Remember, for titans, weight does not scale, but for human-titans, strength does scale.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/49/44

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

ArchangeI posted:

But on the other hand, there is that bit about Levi being "surprisingly old". Now, that could just mean that he is old by shonen manga standards, where twenty year olds are wizzed veterans looking down on the young fifteen year old newbies (and then sacrificing themselves to save them), or it could be a hint that he is or was a titan at some point.

I took it to mean that people think it is a miracle he has survived as long as he has considering all the combat he has seen. The casualty rate of the scouting legion is horrendous so most of them probably only survive a couple missions. Hell how many of them don't even survive one mission?

Or it could mean that even though he is in his 30's he is still in prime condition and ability. In most professional sports most players retire in their early 30's or even late 20's as their bodies are so worn out from training and competition that their performance degrades rapidly. Look at Brett Farve; people were calling him things like "too old" and "grandpa" but he was only in his late 30's and just into his 40's. When you consider the stresses 3DMG combat must put on the body it is amazing he can even walk.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I'm amazed this didn't happen quicker.
(Cross posting from anime thread)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AradoBalanga posted:

Indeed it is.

I guarantee only like 5 other people are going to get this reference.

Oh man, I remember watching this on a VHS back in 9th grade for my high school's Japanese club (either 2000 or 2001).

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just started watching the anime (haven't gotten to the manga yet) and I'm hooked. I'm about thirteen episodes and I love it but does Armin ever stop whining?

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 3, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I just started watching the anime (haven't gotten to the manga yet) and I'm hooked. I'm about thirteen episodes and I love it but does Armin ever stop whining?

Short answer: yes. Long answer: Ho Boy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Even video game tournaments are jumping on the bandwagon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why does that Gundam have a moustache

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know, since I don't follow the competitive fighting game scene religiously. My only guess is the old MvC2 "curly mustache" meme surrounding Magneto.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You should probably move to the anime thread instead of this one. This one is full of spoilers for stuff the anime won't even get to.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Aren't those robot dimples?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Only the best Gundams have mustaches.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aren't those robot dimples?

I would say it's pretty much the space on a skull above teeth and below the nose.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Captain Invictus posted:

Why doesn't that every Gundam have a moustache

Good Question.

Senor Candle posted:

I'm amazed this didn't happen quicker.
(Cross posting from anime thread)

They're coming out of the godamn walls!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I bring a fresh tumblr harvest.

Titled "The Liars":

From here

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

RatHat posted:

I don't think we've ever been given a number for Levi's age, just that he's surprisingly old.

I kind of want to believe Levi's age is just Isayama trying to gently caress with fangirls. The guy just loves to gently caress with people, after all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mary Annette posted:

I kind of want to believe Levi's age is just Isayama trying to gently caress with fangirls. The guy just loves to gently caress with people, after all.
I just noticed the other girl with Mikasa in that cover image is going full commando. :stare:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

You should probably move to the anime thread instead of this one. This one is full of spoilers for stuff the anime won't even get to.

Apologies. This is an alien forum to me, I didn't look hard enough for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mary Annette posted:

If that was his intent he failed, because if there's anything fujoshi love more than young men getting it on it's older men getting it on. The news about Erwin and Levi (and to a lesser extent Hanji) being in their thirties was hailed as a stroke of genius if I remember right.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Why did this never occur to me?

edit: Ah poo poo, fits even better now considering the last episode's line about enjoying pain and not caring about death.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

If that was his intent he failed, because if there's anything fujoshi love more than young men getting it on it's older men getting it on. The news about Erwin and Levi (and to a lesser extent Hanji) being in their thirties was hailed as a stroke of genius if I remember right.

Levi scored almost twice as many votes as the next most popular character in the first AoT character poll, which was conducted before the anime. Got to wonder how many votes he will get now that the anime has greatly expanded the readership / viewership of the series.

JosephWongKS posted:

Speaking of Rivaille, seems like he was voted the most popular character in Shingeki no Kyojin's first character poll:

I don't have the pages for the remaining places, but the website where I found this says that the top 10 characters were as follows:

01. Rivaille (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

I'm glad to see Sasha is so high up in the rankings. :3:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosephWongKS posted:

Levi scored almost twice as many votes as the next most popular character in the first AoT character poll, which was conducted before the anime. Got to wonder how many votes he will get now that the anime has greatly expanded the readership / viewership of the series.

Levi absolutely destroying the competition is rather appropriate, really. No matter what he does, he does it best.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
So I finished the anime and contemplated waiting for 2 years for maybe season 2 or just jumping into the manga. I marathoned from chapter 1 to the current issue in a single day. Man, things just keep getting crazier and crazier. I can't wait for the next release.

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

It's kind of a pet peeve of me that he's always hanging out with the (usually three) main characters in the anime promos, but I guess it's to be expected since he's a fan favorite. It just that I'm also in my early 30's and I'm not easily amused by people half my age. It must feel like being forced to sit at the kids' table.

And there's no way the author DOESN'T know what he does to the fangirls. Come on, his birthday is on Dec. 25

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I'm glad you linked this page because it makes this one that much better. :unsmith:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amorphous Blob posted:

I'm glad you linked this page because it makes this one that much better. :unsmith:

And now you've made me feel anxious about Sasha's prolonged absence. She's been out of sight for 13 chapters! More than a quarter of the entire series! More than a year IRL! What's happened to her in the mean-time? Has she been eaten by a Titan offscreen, like Marco? :ohdear:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

redneck sushi posted:

It just that I'm also in my early 30's and I'm not easily amused by people half my age. It must feel like being forced to sit at the kids' table.

In our society 30 and 15 year olds have totally different experiences. That's not true in the scouting legion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The anime did an amazing job with Levi's fight against the female Titan. It's what made me go "yeah I can't wait until this finishes" and jumped on the manga.

Fucker went sonic on Annie and it was glorious to see someone have a clear advantage over her.

What I'm saying is that Levi is now firmly in 2nd place. He got close, but he'll have a hard time surpassing the best character in the show:

Sasha :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

JosephWongKS posted:

And now you've made me feel anxious about Sasha's prolonged absence. She's been out of sight for 13 chapters! More than a quarter of the entire series! More than a year IRL! What's happened to her in the mean-time? Has she been eaten by a Titan offscreen, like Marco? :ohdear:

I recall reading (probably in this thread) that she was slotted to die in the village scene originally, but that was changed by Izayama for some reason or another (which I'm pretty sure was before the anime started airing, so had nothing to do with her popularity there).