Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

What are those little icons next to some of the flag markers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

mcbexx posted:

What are those little icons next to some of the flag markers?

My guess would be that it's similar to the points on Endgame maps that gave your team the use of the C130 when held. Control point A for your commander so he can gain access to Tomahawk missiles for example.

Lazyfire posted:

Talking with people playing the beta on the 360 it sounds like a worse mess than what people are complaining about here. Textures won't load for a couple rounds, the game looks worse than BF3 did, and the controls are different enough to be confusing.

This weekend is going to be drinking and PC BF4 beta if it actually works by Friday, though.

drat, I was hoping that the PS3 open beta would help give me a good indication on at least how the game will feel on the PS4.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ularg posted:

drat, I was hoping that the PS3 open beta would help give me a good indication on at least how the game will feel on the PS4.

I can't imagine it would, considering your dealing with a system with vastly inferior specs, an unfinished beta from a couple months back and possibly a different set of vehicles (PC gets the attack heli, everything I've heard says the consoles currently have the scout heli).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lazyfire posted:

I can't imagine it would, considering your dealing with a system with vastly inferior specs, an unfinished beta from a couple months back and possibly a different set of vehicles (PC gets the attack heli, everything I've heard says the consoles currently have the scout heli).

Well there's really no way then to be able to see if the PS4 / Xbox One versions of BF4 is going to be your thing without diving in and taking a hit to your wallet which is pretty lovely to me. I'm sold on PC because of what I've been playing though but I'm planning on waiting for a similar "Base game+Premium for $50-60" dealio that we had with BF3. Or PS+.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm torn about the PLD. It's amazing and it has so much utility. But I'll eventually unlock the bucky-balls and then I'll not know which one I should use.

Also I'm impressed that DICE actually made Recon be useful, fun and unique this time. BF3 recon kinda got shafted when it came to all the cool toys.

My favorite BF combo was BC2 Recon with balls and a shotgun.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ularg posted:

Well there's really no way then to be able to see if the PS4 / Xbox One versions of BF4 is going to be your thing without diving in and taking a hit to your wallet which is pretty lovely to me. I'm sold on PC because of what I've been playing though but I'm planning on waiting for a similar "Base game+Premium for $50-60" dealio that we had with BF3. Or PS+.

You've just described buying every game that doesn't have a demo or beta.

If you wait for the deal again it'll be like a year or so into the game's life, if PS+ free game stuff happens it'll probably be at the very end of the lifecycle. You could just not play the console version and make us of one of the random deals that kicks around on games like this one all the time on the PC.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The bollards on the bridge are pretty funny. I like how the three foot tall columns stop a tank dead in its tracks. Stepping out of a vehicle to manually lower the bollards reminds me of driving in the country and hopping out to open and close gates.

Also, Battlelog says I have unlocked all there is for tanks and IFVs? 3 unlocks aint much.

Also, can someone please make a Bill Cosby icon TIA

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Same thing happened to me but I also got the rank 25 dog tag when I hit rank 7.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Lazyfire posted:

You've just described buying every game that doesn't have a demo or beta.

If you wait for the deal again it'll be like a year or so into the game's life, if PS+ free game stuff happens it'll probably be at the very end of the lifecycle. You could just not play the console version and make us of one of the random deals that kicks around on games like this one all the time on the PC.

I'm US so it seems that any sort of sale will happen after release. I'm also probably set on getting the game on release unless a friend of mine decides to hold off his own purchase.

Yeah I guess I did describe buying every game but this one has a beta, just not for the platforms that I'd consider playing it on. Not unreasonable, though.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

canyoneer posted:

Also, Battlelog says I have unlocked all there is for tanks and IFVs? 3 unlocks aint much.

Yeah I know! It's almost like this is some sort of unfinished game we're playing.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

Talking with people playing the beta on the 360 it sounds like a worse mess than what people are complaining about here. Textures won't load for a couple rounds, the game looks worse than BF3 did, and the controls are different enough to be confusing.

This weekend is going to be drinking and PC BF4 beta if it actually works by Friday, though.

Textures won't load? I've had games on the 360 beta where buildings and people in front of me wouldn't load. Its pretty rough for a beta.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mill Village posted:

Textures won't load? I've had games on the 360 beta where buildings and people in front of me wouldn't load. Its pretty rough for a beta.

That's the reality of BF3 on the 360. My favorite was always when the world would bifurcate along the diagonal and you could look at an object on the left side of the screen, turn so it was on the right and it wouldn't be there. I could never figure out what caused that, but it happened to bodies, vehicles, enemies and structures.

That was the release game, I don't have high hopes for the console beta.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Weird, none of that ever happened on the PS3. You'd think they'd be roughly the same.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's pretty loving impressive that it works at all on a 360 isn't it? Do they just have the domination size maps?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
My 6870 and Phenom 955 spit the beta out around 40fps on low settings. I thought it would be a lot worse, it's definitely playable enough for me. Curious to see if release will improve it even more and i could save on an upgrade. I also need to try the beta ATI drivers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I figured out why the beta would play like crap after about half an hour for me. There was a process running from Premiere Elements that was using 25% of my CPU. So just a reminder to everyone having problems to double check that you don't have something else stupid running.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm gonna overclock my i7 from 2.6 sometime today. Not sure a good number to hit with basic aftermarket CPU fan and stock case fans but I was okay with 3.2GHz before. I'm hoping it'll make some sort of impact since the game seems to be poorly optimized for the CPU, which is really funny and ironic after BF3.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Jippa posted:

It's pretty loving impressive that it works at all on a 360 isn't it? Do they just have the domination size maps?

I believe DICE has said they're taking the same approach to the 360 version of BF4 as they took to the console version of BF3.

For the uninformed: Nearly every map on the consoles was scaled down, offered fewer vehicles (Canals apparently has jets on the PC?), and on most maps flags were removed from Conquest to help make the map smaller. There are other things, like the particle effects and volumetric smoke stuff being way less detailed or not even being there on consoles. Additionally, the number of players was capped at 24 per match. On some maps you would still have two jets, an attack heli, a transport heli and various tanks and jeeps. This meant it was possible to get eight members of your 12 person team in the air right off the bat.

Thank god that it was fun to play with friends or that thing could be a disaster.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

BF 4 beta: 88%, 91%, 99%... paused. "Try again later."

81%, 84%, 89%... paused. "Try again later."

81%...

:dice:

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Ularg posted:

I'm gonna overclock my i7 from 2.6 sometime today. Not sure a good number to hit with basic aftermarket CPU fan and stock case fans but I was okay with 3.2GHz before. I'm hoping it'll make some sort of impact since the game seems to be poorly optimized for the CPU, which is really funny and ironic after BF3.

Impact to the game, yes. The Beta, probably not because it has so many problems. Although DICE have said they may patch the Beta client before the period ends and that they've already patched the server twice so far.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Riflen posted:

Impact to the game, yes. The Beta, probably not because it has so many problems. Although DICE have said they may patch the Beta client before the period ends and that they've already patched the server twice so far.

I've noticed improvements and the amount of stuttering has been lowering day by day without anything changing on my end which is wonderful. Server side though it's been up an down. But of course it's a beta and I am super excited for an optimized release where I can supersample.

Seriously though: you can change every single video option and never once have the game freeze or go black to process those settings (I think except for changing monitors or resolutions). That's kind of an incredible feat by itself if you're like me and cringe every time you have to change settings in a Valve game.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Ularg posted:

I've noticed improvements and the amount of stuttering has been lowering day by day without anything changing on my end which is wonderful. Server side though it's been up an down. But of course it's a beta and I am super excited for an optimized release where I can supersample.

Seriously though: you can change every single video option and never once have the game freeze or go black to process those settings (I think except for changing monitors or resolutions). That's kind of an incredible feat by itself if you're like me and cringe every time you have to change settings in a Valve game.

Not all the graphics options actually have code behind them btw, so you're probably applying zero changes some of the time.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Riflen posted:

Not all the graphics options actually have code behind them btw, so you're probably applying zero changes some of the time.

I know that the super sampling actually has code behind it unless it isn't doing anything but magically makes my FPS drop after 150%. I think things like terrain decoration and ambient occlusion aren't fully programmed in. Also the texture quality on ultra is pretty piss poor on some of the vehicles. I can see drat blurry textures!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Engineers really should get C4 as an option, now that I think about it. Right now, on vehicle-heavy maps they're pretty indispensable, but on infantry-based maps there isn't much need. If you took C4 from support and gave it to engineers, they could have something to replace their repair tool, which is utterly worthless if there's nothing to repair. The rockets are still useful against infantry, but the M320 is about as effective, and offers healing or defibrillation to boot. Giving them C4 turns them into a pseudo-spec ops class with PDWs and C4, plus long-range cover-destroying ability in their rockets.

edit: Something I can't quite tell: if you switch classes, do you lose the accumulated squad upgrade points?

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Riflen posted:

And a lot of them require a restart to take effect too.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

Ravenfood posted:

Engineers really should get C4 as an option, now that I think about it. Right now, on vehicle-heavy maps they're pretty indispensable, but on infantry-based maps there isn't much need. If you took C4 from support and gave it to engineers, they could have something to replace their repair tool, which is utterly worthless if there's nothing to repair. The rockets are still useful against infantry, but the M320 is about as effective, and offers healing or defibrillation to boot. Giving them C4 turns them into a pseudo-spec ops class with PDWs and C4, plus long-range cover-destroying ability in their rockets.

edit: Something I can't quite tell: if you switch classes, do you lose the accumulated squad upgrade points?

Why would the Engineer need MORE explosives? That reasoning just seems like you don't want to play anything but engineer, and you want all the benefits of other classes at the same time. Switch classes if there are no vehicles, it's that simple.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Give every class c4. Seems reasonable to me.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Use rocket launchers to blow up stuff and shoot guys when there are no vehicles.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Give every class c4. Seems reasonable to me.

Self-detonation only, though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

afkmacro posted:

And a lot of them require a restart to take effect too.

Which options? I've messed with pretty much everything from resolution and refresh rate to the under/super sampling.

By the way under sampling works because much like Planetside 2 it makes the game look like a bunch of moving squares. And also like Planetside 2 it really doesn't improve performance.

Also, I don't want engineer to have C4 because I'd like one class where I have a reason to shoot my gun at someone. I loving love the airburster and the underslung MASS.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Repair tool can be swapped out for mines. The M2 SLAM can be used as an anti-personnel mine.

Edit: I'm actually not sure now if it can be used as an AP mine. I might have got the wrong idea from reading "multi-purpose". It could just be a more versatile but less damaging AT mine.

Sparticle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 3, 2013

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Thanks for reminding me about mines. I think they're going to be pretty good in this (again, like in BC2, and unlike bf3). If Shanghai is any indication the maps should have plenty of variety and sneaky places to put them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I actually kinda hope engineers and support share claymores as I think claymores is a nice counter option to mines when you are using non-infantry focused gear. But that may be against what they want the engineer to be doing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mugwump posted:

Why would the Engineer need MORE explosives? That reasoning just seems like you don't want to play anything but engineer, and you want all the benefits of other classes at the same time. Switch classes if there are no vehicles, it's that simple.
Because every other class is useful in most conditions. Why should engineer be reduced to "is it a vehicle map?" AT mines and repair tools have no use at all. Hell, even the recon PLA has a use when there are no vehicles around just because its so good at spotting things with its long-range INRV. Healing and ammo are always useful. Revives are always useful. Wizballs are always useful. Airbursting/mortars will have a use, and LMGs are class-exclusive. If not C4, something should be able to go in that second slot that's useful outside of vehicle combat.

And no, I actually don't like playing engineer and would prefer to play carbine recon or (more typically) assault. Right now, my most played class in the beta is an engineer to get carbines unlocked, and I'll switch to engineer if my team is struggling with killing tanks, but it isn't my favorite class at all. I just think making the choice about whether its worth having an engineer along is reduced to "is it a vehicle-based map" is a little shortsighted when they've already done a good job making each class unique and useful in different roles, except the engineer. He gets to do everything in relation to vehicles, which may or may not be there.

But feel free to reduce my thought to "I don't wanna be another class waaah" if you'd like. Instead, its "I'd like to have a reason to play engineer that isn't "I want to operate a vehicle or blow up a vehicle right now".

edit:

Sparticle posted:

Repair tool can be swapped out for mines. The M2 SLAM can be used as an anti-personnel mine.
If the SLAM can be an AP mine, never mind. That's plenty good enough for me! I thought it was basically a lighter, weaker AT mine that had more ammo.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 3, 2013

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Ravenfood posted:

Because every other class is useful in most conditions. Why should engineer be reduced to "is it a vehicle map?" AT mines and repair tools have no use at all. Hell, even the recon PLA has a use when there are no vehicles around just because its so good at spotting things with its long-range INRV. Healing and ammo are always useful. Revives are always useful. Wizballs are always useful. Airbursting/mortars will have a use, and LMGs are class-exclusive. If not C4, something should be able to go in that second slot that's useful outside of vehicle combat.

And no, I actually don't like playing engineer and would prefer to play carbine recon or (more typically) assault. Right now, my most played class in the beta is an engineer to get carbines unlocked, and I'll switch to engineer if my team is struggling with killing tanks, but it isn't my favorite class at all. I just think making the choice about whether its worth having an engineer along is reduced to "is it a vehicle-based map" is a little shortsighted when they've already done a good job making each class unique and useful in different roles, except the engineer. He gets to do everything in relation to vehicles, which may or may not be there.

But feel free to reduce my thought to "I don't wanna be another class waaah" if you'd like. Instead, its "I'd like to have a reason to play engineer that isn't "well, I want to operate a vehicle or blow up a vehicle right now".

Engineer is always a viable option on maps where you know you'll be doing some close quarters poo poo. SMG's and PDW's spit out death. Sorry for your loss.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

So if you use the right combination of colors, the game bugs out and colors your whole arm. :dice:

Thank you to our very own Dukka and Sporks for modeling for me.

More stuff:

IRNV ALL THE TIME. To do this, die while using IRNV and then get revived. Don't switch weapons though.

DCORN: TIER JUAN GUNNER

Warkak's emblem.

MasonF fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Are rockets not reloaded from an ammo drop or was that just some bug?

The flight mechanics seem easier than previously and also a lot more 'squirrely'. I can pitch and yaw the helo's a lot faster but it's harder for me to stay on target with the rocket salvos and just hover.

The mini-guns on the transport helos seem really weak, along with most of the secondary machine guns on vehicles. I don't know if this is just lag beta-ness or how it's intended.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Rocket launchers are pretty cool for blowing up people and walls. SMGs are good. You can probably replace your repair torch with a robot. I'm fine with engineers.

Also I love that vehicle machine guns don't just fly in boring straight perfect arcs anymore.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Super 3 posted:

The flight mechanics seem easier than previously and also a lot more 'squirrely'. I can pitch and yaw the helo's a lot faster but it's harder for me to stay on target with the rocket salvos and just hover.

The mini-guns on the transport helos seem really weak, along with most of the secondary machine guns on vehicles. I don't know if this is just lag beta-ness or how it's intended.

Explosives like the Airburster, Stinger, RPG, ect are reloaded by the ammo box that is unlocked later down the road. You start out with an ammo pouch which only restores bullets and is consumed by the first soldier to pick it up. It also has a nice ability to fly towards whoever nearby needs it if you are looking at them when you toss it.

I've had a lot of fun flying because it's a constant fight to make sure I don't get in a situation where I get my nose knocked down. Once I start diving it's really hard to pull up if you are damaged. I've also noticed things like main rotors give out so I assume full mobility disables affect choppers as well as tanks.

MRAPs and the like seem a lot more stronger now. They survive 1 or 2 tank shells and the soldiers inside don't get diced to pieces when any automatic fire comes their way. But the back doors to the MRAP can be blown open which exposes those inside which I think is neat. Now to fix the problem that no one ever uses those drat things the way they are meant to and just uses them as oversized ATVs or bikes. Fill up, gunner stay in, rest I'll drop off at C, ain't hard. Cap E / D or A / B and hop back in or stay in.

The mini guns also don't seem to do damage to tanks of any type anymore. But they gotten a huge reduction in spread and what feels like an increase in bullet velocity or RPM which leads it to be a murder cannon to infantry. It's also fairly usable against helicopters but not lopsidedly so.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

I made a way cleaner/better one in black ops 1, the hardest part was stitching the N together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

Super 3 posted:

I think ammo packs only resupply bullets. You have to deploy an ammo box for explosives. At least I think. Most people haven't leveled up Support far enough to really see them in game yet.

• Locked thread