Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Let me guess. "Weird sound"?

Resolution: removed tap dancer from oil pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just saw a 200s to 2010s turbodiesel f350 blow a massive cloud of WHITE smoke, didn't smell normal either.

DPF regen? 6.0hno venting coolant out the tailpipe? Never seen that, only black smoke.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Just saw a 200s to 2010s turbodiesel f350 blow a massive cloud of WHITE smoke, didn't smell normal either.

DPF regen? 6.0hno venting coolant out the tailpipe? Never seen that, only black smoke.

EGR cooler failure. Impending RUD in 10...9...8...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Theyre having me do removal and teardown, more later!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Mmmm, yogurt

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Is that engine full of marshmallows?!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Atherosclerosis! Get a balloon stent.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is that engine full of marshmallows?!

It looks delicious. Just need to find a K-car so we can make some marshmallow milkshakes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
At first glance, I thought it was a mouse. :3:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Unrelated:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:catstare:

Was that just fatigue , or was there a projectile? If so, what was it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:wtf:

How the gently caress did they get enough out of an 80s Dodge 239 V6 to melt the manifold and blow that out?!

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Theyre having me do removal and teardown, more later!

I'be been working on the carburated version of that motor for two months in my Celica. Only thing keeping it off the road right now is my new Weber carb refuses to idle. What year is that truck?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

:wtf:

How the gently caress did they get enough out of an 80s Dodge 239 V6 to melt the manifold and blow that out?!

MrYenko posted:

:catstare:

Was that just fatigue , or was there a projectile? If so, what was it?

I'm guessing that spring-actuated & counterweighted butterfly gate at the rear end-end of that manifold is rusted almost completely shut.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Previa_fun posted:

Which GM engine/platform combination is it where you have to remove a motor mount to change the serpentine belt? :suicide:
N-body with a V6. And you can't even cheat and just cut the belt off because you still have to put a new one on! Not that the four cylinder is any better. The power steering pump is on the wrong side on the 2.4 because there isn't any room on the accessory side of the engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Left Ventricle posted:

N-body with a V6. And you can't even cheat and just cut the belt off because you still have to put a new one on! Not that the four cylinder is any better. The power steering pump is on the wrong side on the 2.4 because there isn't any room on the accessory side of the engine.

Are you talking about the Oldsmobile 98/Buick equivalent with the 3800 V6? Because I worked on a 1998 98 and it had a motor mount in the middle of the serpentine.

Way to ruin a good engine, GM :argh:

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

2012 Audi S4 3.0 Supercharged. Had a misfire on cylinder 2 that took a little while to figure out.

Just curious, did it have a modified ECU tune?

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

RapeWhistle posted:

Just curious, did it have a modified ECU tune?

I'm not sure what you're getting at but i :lol:d at that one. Since it's an internet car forum i've been trained through experience to expect a total non-sequitur diagnosis. "The tune probably increased your cam lift enough to fatigue the spring, yo".

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Vigo327 posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at but i :lol:d at that one. Since it's an internet car forum i've been trained through experience to expect a total non-sequitur diagnosis. "The tune probably increased your cam lift enough to fatigue the spring, yo".

No, he asked the question because his previous car was an A4 and he currently drives an RS4 and has had valve issues himself. I've seen people break valve springs, bottom ends, and all sorts of poo poo due to poor tunes.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

A lot of tunes increase the rev limiter so it is definitely a valid question regarding valve springs.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Geirskogul posted:

Are you talking about the Oldsmobile 98/Buick equivalent with the 3800 V6? Because I worked on a 1998 98 and it had a motor mount in the middle of the serpentine.

No, that's the H body (Bonneville/LeSabre/98). On the H cars, I'm pretty sure the belt is routed to avoid the mount. I'm talking about the 97-03 Malibu, 99-05 Grand Am and 99-04 Alero with the 3.1/3.4 Chevy V6. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it. Or perhaps someone on here has one ready?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No picture, but this video gives you a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHnspwv0wM

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Fucknag posted:

No picture, but this video gives you a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpHnspwv0wM

I was so disappointed to not hear him say "Choocher" or "Antler".
Canadian goons, I think you've broken something in my brain.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Left Ventricle posted:

On the H cars, I'm pretty sure the belt is routed to avoid the mount.

Experience tells me you have to.

^^^^^ e;fb or whatever

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Paul Boz_ posted:

I've seen people break valve springs ... due to poor tunes.

And there it is.

Fart Pipe posted:

A lot of tunes increase the rev limiter so it is definitely a valid question regarding valve springs.

I assume you mean "Do you rev higher than stock?" when you say 'it' is a valid question. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that was his NEXT question.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vigo327 posted:

And there it is.

I assume you mean "Do you rev higher than stock?" when you say 'it' is a valid question. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that was his NEXT question.

GUYS HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY THIS PART BROKE AND ALSO WHY I'M A DICK TO PEOPLE I WANT THINGS FROM KTHXBYE

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Vigo327 posted:

And there it is.

If someone is getting a tune and it raises the rev limiter that person is probably going to use those extra RPMs, its really not that hard to imagine something like that being a possibility.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sharp curve ahead.

Well, gently caress.

Well, gently caress.

WELL, FU.....what the gently caress am i looking at.........

I knew something was off when the lugnuts required a 15/16ths socket, none of these were even tight, if they were tightened, the wheels wouldn't fit. I did 100 miles an hour in this fuckin thing, how am i not dead?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Sharp curve ahead.

Well, gently caress.

Well, gently caress.

WELL, FU.....what the gently caress am i looking at.........

I knew something was off when the lugnuts required a 15/16ths socket, none of these were even tight, if they were tightened, the wheels wouldn't fit. I did 100 miles an hour in this fuckin thing, how am i not dead?

Is that like the absolute worst way to make a universal volt pattern wheel or something? Holy crap.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

100 mph in a vintage Lincoln Continental...nice!

My condolences on the tire though...whitewalls ain't cheap. I guess you'll need a new wheel assembly?

Got any more pics of the sexy beast?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Astroman posted:

100 mph in a vintage Lincoln Continental...nice!

My condolences on the tire though...whitewalls ain't cheap. I guess you'll need a new wheel assembly?

Got any more pics of the sexy beast?

The tires are old enough that there is only a 3 digit date stamp, so they could be from 1978, 1988, or 1998(i think it's 88), so they were coming off anyways. the wheels are janky as gently caress. They are a completely universal wheel. choose your bolt pattern with the position of the lug sleeves, choose your offset by welding the center of the wheel to the rim. the welds were done AFTER the wheel was chromed, and don't even go all the way around. they're just done in 5 sections.

I feel 25% safer with this wheel being off the car. now just to get the other 3 off it and i'll be good.

Here is the rest of her.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That car is so gorgeous.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

That car is so gorgeous.

He has nothing better to do than mess with fomocos up in the wilderness of canada.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've seen wheels made in a factory with only stitch welds like that instead of full weld, but doing it through the chroming is pretty jank. And the lug circle thing is scary as poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

He has nothing better to do than mess with fomocos up in the wilderness of canada.

A lucky man indeed.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

I imagine you have a friend who rides with you wherever you go wearing a black suit and leather gloves who carries a Bren gun, just in case you encounter any protagonists.

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Powershift posted:

They are a completely universal wheel. choose your bolt pattern with the position of the lug sleeves, choose your offset by welding the center of the wheel to the rim. the welds were done AFTER the wheel was chromed, and don't even go all the way around. they're just done in 5 sections.

Wait.. You're saying there is a cylinder thing in the middle of the wheel and you weld the wheel to that at the flange, and THAT is what tightens against the hub while the back of the wheel flange just hangs out in open air? That's insane. I actually didn't think this wheel idea was that bad until i read that, but i'm still not sure i'm reading it right.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That is a dead sexy car! :swoon:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How do you even ensure that the wheel is centered? It better be hub-centric.

Did it come as a kit, and then you chose your offset by welding the center piece afterwards? I don't even...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

http://vimeo.com/43766458

The only song that you need to play while driving that car.

EVER.