Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Boy am I glad this thread doesn't feel a need to whine about Anonymous. I was half expecting to find at least one guy going, "Oh, great, yet another CBS procedural who thinks a bunch of 15-year-old libertarians are the most dangerous people in America. :rolleyes:"

Instead y'all are saying exactly what I'm thinking: "So in POI Anonymous is a legit collective of badass politically-motivated hackers with guns? ...Go on."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

The machine is simply assigning them a prediction of "imminent violence," it's not making a judgment on whether one is going to be the victim or perpetrator. If someone shoots somebody else, regardless of which one does what, then the chance that both people are involved in a violent crime are 100%.

I don't think so. It shows separate stats for Victim and Perpetrator with different percentages in the transition from Reese in the locker room to the meeting place. You see his Victim % stay in the 90s and his Perpetrator percent shoot up from 30% into the 90s.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DivisionPost posted:

Boy am I glad this thread doesn't feel a need to whine about Anonymous. I was half expecting to find at least one guy going, "Oh, great, yet another CBS procedural who thinks a bunch of 15-year-old libertarians are the most dangerous people in America. :rolleyes:"

Instead y'all are saying exactly what I'm thinking: "So in POI Anonymous is a legit collective of badass politically-motivated hackers with guns? ...Go on."

Honestly "take an eye-rolling concept and turn it into something cool" is basically the show's entire MO. I mean, when it first started I had to admit a show about people leveraging post 9/11 paranoia surveillance in order to save peoples' lives seemed like it could turn into an absolute awful mess of preachy moralizing or masturbatory neocon wank over how the surveillance state is actually a good thing, but somehow they managed to make something really good instead. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to militant privacists.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm sure they'll go by a different name if and when they give one, but it makes sense to draw out these concepts to their extreme end given how the show operates. The machine is the extreme of surveillance and AI, ISA/Northern Lights are the extreme of Black Ops, hell even Elias in a fashion is an extreme of organized crime.

edit: vvvvvv - This is my opinion as well.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 2, 2013

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kegslayer posted:

We haven't really seen an 'anti Machine' group. Having the machine sponsor anti machine groups and dissent as some sort of counter balance to people who would abuse the machine is a pretty interesting idea. The new group could just be another version of Reese and Finch's team.
Remember, PRISM apparently also exists in the POI-verse, so the Super Anonymous faction could just be a reaction to that. I doubt The Machine wants to make itself known (or is at all known as the show tells us). So honestly I'm not surprised they decide to go all militant on basically amounts to as a private-enterprise version of PRISM.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

You guys I think the recurring joke this season will be Shaw eating something every episode.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
And threatening to shoot people while Finch asks her not to.

Note to writers; seriously though, please don't do that every episode, we get it, Shaw likes to shoot people. Don't burn that one out all at once.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kai Tave posted:

Note to writers; seriously though, please don't do that every episode, we get it, Shaw likes to shoot people. Don't burn that one out all at once.

She can eat everything with a knife, though. Everything.

I thought it was kind of a weak episode until the twist, what with that the whole "hacking the car" thing was done with McPoyle McMillionaire and that it was super obvious the janitor was involved somehow. I thought that Collier was involved too, but I didn't anticipate super Anonymous being a thing. I'm always glad to see more factions and potential awesome characters from that faction, since this show really loves playing with its pieces.

Speaking of, I hope we get to see Julian Sands' character again this season. He was great, but I could just be beguiled by his magnificent accent.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Does Shaw seem weird to anyone else? I mean, I understand what they are going for with her character and I'm fine with it but she just seems so different than what was presented to us last season. This season she seems so...feral whereas last season she seemed to have more finesse. I mean, she was a CIA operative, you'd think she'd have a concept of how to go under cover and infiltrate an office building or party without the rest of the crew worried about her not freaking out and killing anyone.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

KilGrey posted:

Does Shaw seem weird to anyone else? I mean, I understand what they are going for with her character and I'm fine with it but she just seems so different than what was presented to us last season. This season she seems so...feral whereas last season she seemed to have more finesse. I mean, she was a CIA operative, you'd think she'd have a concept of how to go under cover and infiltrate an office building or party without the rest of the crew worried about her not freaking out and killing anyone.
Maybe she's just having more fun with it since it technically is a step down from saving the world, so she doesn't have to take it as seriously as she normally would.

Also I think it's mostly Finch that just has issues with her more violent streak.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There's also the fact that for all she knows anybody could be a Northern Lights operative out to kill her for defecting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Shaw and finesse...this is the person who we're introduced to when she shoots two people in front of a cop before pistol whipping him, blowing up a terrorist hideout with their own semtex to cover her tracks, shoving a live flashbang under a guy's gasmask before using him as an airbag and then double-tapping him, then driving off with a drug dealer in order to break into the stash to use it as a safehouse.

I think Shaw's just loving with Finch, she isn't really about to go berserker red at the slightest drop of a hat but she likes getting a rise out of him while reminding him "y'know, I could just kill this rear end in a top hat, it wouldn't really be hard." Reese sort of did the same thing at the start of the show. Remember the pilot episode, where John's plan to extract a kid from crooked cops involves shooting up and robbing an arms deal followed by busting out a grenade launcher in the middle of downtown New York?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Kai Tave posted:

Shaw and finesse...this is the person who we're introduced to when she shoots two people in front of a cop before pistol whipping him, blowing up a terrorist hideout with their own semtex to cover her tracks, shoving a live flashbang under a guy's gasmask before using him as an airbag and then double-tapping him, then driving off with a drug dealer in order to break into the stash to use it as a safehouse.

Yeah, but these were all pretty in the moment things. Outside of them you didn't see her hunched over eating a hunk of steak off a knife and salivating at the next opportunity to kill someone. She's someone who I'd believe was clever and could think her way out of a situation as well as use her physical skills whereas this seasons they seem to be making her more brute and brawn. I think someone else described her as Fiona "should we shoot them?!" Glenanne from Burn Notice (only a million times better), I wouldn't have agreed with that assessment last season.

I can see her doing it to gently caress with Finch because getting a rise out of him is funny. And I don't dislike her character at all, I'm thoroughly enjoying her and don't think she should change I just felt she was a bit different this season than when she was introduced and was wondering if I was the only one who noticed or thought so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The steak and knife thing, yeah I can see that, though after yanking a bullet out of her side in the drug house and shooting three people dead I remember her fishing a beer out of the cooler and chillaxing on the sofa with a dead guy next to her. I think Shaw just doesn't give any fucks.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I'm kinda hoping they don't go too far with Super Anonymous. This episode was interesting and set up a neat conflict about how to deal with the imminent murder of a total douchebag, but I don't want that to be a reoccurring theme. I like seeing them protect good people or folks who just were on the wrong path. This group goes after powerful people, I assume, who they think are guilty of something. It would be interesting to see them go after Finch but I don't want to see them rescuing jerks all the time.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kai Tave posted:

Oh I like that. His and Carter's tenuous alliance is full of potential. Elias can't stay cooped up in a basement forever so I'm half suspecting/half hoping that this season we get some decent forward movement on the whole Elias vs. HR plot.

I could really see Elias sending some guys to join the police Infernal Affairs style.

The way Kruger was taken down seemed overly elaborate and more then a little sadistic. Calling him to a meeting to sign the big contract only to kill him there reminded me of something Stalin would do, giving people he had killed a little false hope of mercy.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

grrarg posted:

Bear would rip the guy's throat out 2 seconds after he hit Finch. :colbert:
I had the same thought. How quickly do attack dogs lose their edge?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

CeeJee posted:

I could really see Elias sending some guys to join the police Infernal Affairs style.

This reminds me if Carter's new partner, anyone else thinks he might be involved with HR?

Accretionist posted:

I had the same thought. How quickly do attack dogs lose their edge?

Yeah, I was expecting Finch to wake up to nothing but a few blood smears on the floor and Bear licking his chops.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 2, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So Totally-Not-Anonymous, stealing money, threatening the government and killing people. Aren't those numbers the machine should spit out to the big boys?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Only if what they have planned involved massive loss of life. "Relevant" threats seem to be predicated on wide-scale attacks that threaten large numbers of people. The few Machine-aided instances of relevant numbers coming up have all fallen into that category, things like dirty bombs and people smuggling plutonium. If Militant Anonymous limits themselves to small-scale attacks...a databroker here, a politician there, blackmail and extortion instead of outright murder...then it's possible they can stay under the Machine's relevance threshold. Which makes them Reese and Finch's problem.

I mean, Root was actively sniffing around the Machine for nearly a whole season and it didn't spit her number out, even though what she had planned could have led to widespread loss of life in a domino effect sort of way.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 2, 2013

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The steak and knife thing, yeah I can see that, though after yanking a bullet out of her side in the drug house and shooting three people dead I remember her fishing a beer out of the cooler and chillaxing on the sofa with a dead guy next to her. I think Shaw just doesn't give any fucks.

Shaw is just a more relaxed version of pre-machine Reese. They're both emotionally detached but Shaw doesn't really care about other people or how they perceive her. The 'shoot first' thing seems to be just a small joke between the team given that Shaw doesn't have a problem with killing 'bad guys' since to her, it's probably the shortest path to complete the mission.

The CIA/Northern Lights guys we've seen like Shaw, Reese, Hersh, Snow and Stanton all seem to be cut from the same cloth.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Man I love this show.

Just as I was staring to think hey team irrelevant are kinda way too strong now with Finch, Fusco, Bear, Shaw,Reese and the machine to kinda get one upped like that.

And an other evil faction for the back burner, POI has all the best bad guys we just need like Mags from Justified type character and Cyborg Russian Barry and my perfect TV show exists! :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

Between the anonymous shadow bosses and packages and all, it reminds me more of the group in Hotline Miami. The only thing missing is rubber animal masks, and let's face it, that would just make things even better.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 2, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ally_1986 posted:

And an other evil faction for the back burner, POI has all the best bad guys we just need like Mags from Justified type character and Cyborg Russian Barry and my perfect TV show exists! :)

Mags helped to create Root due to her love of Root's friends killer.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Croisquessein posted:

I'm kinda hoping they don't go too far with Super Anonymous. This episode was interesting and set up a neat conflict about how to deal with the imminent murder of a total douchebag, but I don't want that to be a reoccurring theme. I like seeing them protect good people or folks who just were on the wrong path. This group goes after powerful people, I assume, who they think are guilty of something. It would be interesting to see them go after Finch but I don't want to see them rescuing jerks all the time.

I wouldn't worry too much, it's mostly par for the course when introducing big villains to the show. They basically failed when Elias happened, letting Decima get the virus out there made them lose quite a few PoIs, not to mention Root outsmarting them in the S1 finale and HR just constantly making GBS threads on Carter and Fusco(mostly during the period the machine was affected by the virus)

It'd be pretty boring if the second a recurring villain was introduced team Irrelevant hosed them over completely every time. They wouldn't feel threatening.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is one of the few times (only time?) Team Machine has actually failed on screen. The douche is dead and they did not save him, in fact their presence got him killed instead of just broke and injured.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They got the numbers for and couldn't save: Donnelly, Cal, Szemansky and that doctor guy that got poisoned and died at the end of an episode after Reese helped him find out who the perp was.

edit: Promo for next week's episode. All I have to say is :allears:.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 2, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is one of the few times (only time?) Team Machine has actually failed on screen. The douche is dead and they did not save him, in fact their presence got him killed instead of just broke and injured.

How do you figure that? They had every intention of killing him all along.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Episode needed more root, Bear would've done at least way more damage, dismayed at Hackers on Steroids.

I liked Carter's new partner, Shaw being Shaw, and Finch being all "Do you mind?" while hacking into dude's company server. Also that the PoI died, that was good.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

raditts posted:

How do you figure that? They had every intention of killing him all along.

Didn't the guy say something like "We were just going to scare you" but then he showed up with the gun and the plan changed? I hope it wasn't Reese's interference that provoked it.

E: it might have been that they exposed the victim's dad as being involved so the anons had to kill him to keep him from going after the guy. Otherwise there's no real reason to kill him, he knew nothing about them, his life is over and letting him live as a destitute pariah would have been a heavy punishment.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 3, 2013

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I rewatched that scene, and the way I read into it is: They were content in just scaring him away from his business, but even if Team Irrelevant hadn't stepped in, it was clear that the guy didn't give a gently caress about anything but keeping his business going. When they realized that, they decided to just kill him and be done with it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Zaggitz posted:

I rewatched that scene, and the way I read into it is: They were content in just scaring him away from his business, but even if Team Irrelevant hadn't stepped in, it was clear that the guy didn't give a gently caress about anything but keeping his business going. When they realized that, they decided to just kill him and be done with it.

Yeah, he showed up to the meeting still trying to pitch a deal that probably sealed his fate. I don't know why Finch made such a big deal about "the cell phone is in the room". Uh, they thought it belonged to Summers, and Summers was still in the room, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, he showed up to the meeting still trying to pitch a deal that probably sealed his fate. I don't know why Finch made such a big deal about "the cell phone is in the room". Uh, they thought it belonged to Summers, and Summers was still in the room, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

Which makes me wonder why Summers was there. He wasn't anything like the mastermind they thought he was, he just rigged a few things. He shouldn't be the one monitoring the phone messages, the top guy was, and he was the one who made the call. And that guy didn't seem surprised that Summers was there, so maybe he invited him along? When did Anon guy decide to kill Lifesearch guy? Before he got there? Why'd he bother with the "sorry no deal bit"? If not, I wonder what they were expecting to happen. After all that did they just want to give him one last crushing disappointment before they cut him loose without harming him? I'm confused about the whole last few minutes.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Am I the only one who didn't think of anonymous at all in the episode? I thought this new group might be more like a POI version of ZFT, and is out to stop people from using technology in horrible/awful (legal) ways and protecting the little man from the very same thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Anonymous guy told Summers that the car crash "didn't do the trick," so I would say that the decision to kill Kruger came before Reese showed up to try and defuse the situation. The intention with causing someone's car to flip out like that isn't to just give them a scare. Summers was supposed to kill Kruger.

I'd guess Anonymous invited Summers because, well, he wanted Summers to get to watch Kruger die. Or maybe to kill Kruger himself. That was sort of the point...in his own way, Anonymous was doing Summers a favor. "poo poo, that didn't work...and after he came so close. I know, I'll improvise, get Kruger and Summers together and then he can finally have his revenge."

Then Reese interferes and talks Summers down but by then Anonymous guy's mind is made up, Kruger's an rear end in a top hat and he's going to die.

Why the whole "oh yeah, the deal's actually off" thing? If Kruger hadn't walked in with Summers at gunpoint that conversation might have gone differently, maybe Anonymous Guy would have tried to spin it differently, but he saw what was going on and decided to say something he knew would make Kruger crack. And hey, it worked. Summers got the gun and everything, and if Reese hadn't shown up might have shot him then and there.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
A very rough estimation of how I think Finch contacts Shaw since she doesn't carry a cell phone.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpookyLizard posted:

Am I the only one who didn't think of anonymous at all in the episode? I thought this new group might be more like a POI version of ZFT, and is out to stop people from using technology in horrible/awful (legal) ways and protecting the little man from the very same thing.

I didn't think of them as anonymous till I read the thread, and I agree with you. I'm just going with it until we have an official name.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Anonymous guy told Summers that the car crash "didn't do the trick," so I would say that the decision to kill Kruger came before Reese showed up to try and defuse the situation. The intention with causing someone's car to flip out like that isn't to just give them a scare. Summers was supposed to kill Kruger.

I'd guess Anonymous invited Summers because, well, he wanted Summers to get to watch Kruger die. Or maybe to kill Kruger himself. That was sort of the point...in his own way, Anonymous was doing Summers a favor. "poo poo, that didn't work...and after he came so close. I know, I'll improvise, get Kruger and Summers together and then he can finally have his revenge."

Then Reese interferes and talks Summers down but by then Anonymous guy's mind is made up, Kruger's an rear end in a top hat and he's going to die.

Why the whole "oh yeah, the deal's actually off" thing? If Kruger hadn't walked in with Summers at gunpoint that conversation might have gone differently, maybe Anonymous Guy would have tried to spin it differently, but he saw what was going on and decided to say something he knew would make Kruger crack. And hey, it worked. Summers got the gun and everything, and if Reese hadn't shown up might have shot him then and there.

OK, I think that fleshes it out. I forgot about the car crash.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If you're going to be at a computer tonight at 7:20 ET (4:20 PT), PaleyFest NY is streaming a Person of Interest panel with the principal cast and crew. Sadly I'll be out catching Gravity, but somebody check it out and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'll definitely be catching it unless something comes up. NOPE SCHOOLWORK OVERLOAD :(

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 4, 2013

• Locked thread