Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The AC shuts off when you're at WOT so don't worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
my first track day is two days away, am I forgetting anything?

I'm on 100 mile old direzza z2s, just checked my alignment, zero toe with 1deg neg camber up front, pads look like they are 80% worst case, I'm doing a full brake fluid flush tonight and have extra for the day.

oil is only 2k old and I have plenty extra on hand, I'm bringing basic tools, a jack, gloves, pyrometer, food water etc.

anything else I should bring?

the event is an scda event at nhms, if your there and see a white 05 sti, its probably me

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I always bring a camp chair and if I have space an easy-up canopy. Depending on how things are setup I bring a small tarp to put all my junk on then fold over, keeps it contained and dry if it rains. I'm always cold so I usually have a spare sweatshirt.

Have fun

e: Coldpie is right whatever water you have planned isn't enough. I usually either buy two 1-gallon jugs or one of those packs with 24 12oz bottles. I'll also grab a power/gator-ade and salty snacks. Dehydration at the track sucks and is dangerous.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 28, 2013

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bring loads of water. I probably go through about 16 oz between each session, and that adds up after 6 sessions.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
A torque wrench for your lugs, which you should re-torque before every session.

If you don't already have one you should be able to borrow one from someone around you.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I bring enough tools to change and bleed brakes, extra fluids (brake and motor oil), painters tape for numbers, glass cleaner, paper towels, a cooler with water, a folding chair, sunscreen, a disposable poncho, trash bags, and cash.
I also have a pair of square boards to rest jackstands on. Most paddocks are grass/dirt/gravel, and even on asphalt the stands can sink.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

rotard posted:

anything else I should bring?

A helmet and the attitude that you're there to learn.

You're pretty well covered on mechanical bits and if you should need something you didn't bring most groups are very friendly and willing to lend tools/assistance to get you back on the track.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bringing a pyrometer is pretty crazy for your first track day. Just go and have fun and learn, hope you don't have to gently caress with your own car and ride along with instructors with cool cars.

Confused_Donkey
Mar 16, 2003
Was a wet PRO3 weekend for me at Ridge Motorsports Park this past weekend, holy crap!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

drat, that's your car? I'm so insanely jealous :eyepop:
Awesome photo

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Can I play?

Honda Challenge H2 build planned. B16A.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Gotta fuel faster, yo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Chump team Fatcow and I helped out on has a really brilliant setup for fuel. Talking like 1 minute for 10 gallons of gas using two 5 gallon jugs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

The Chump team Fatcow and I helped out on has a really brilliant setup for fuel. Talking like 1 minute for 10 gallons of gas using two 5 gallon jugs.

Fuel time and getting it as quick as possible is one thing we spent a lot of time working on. Our jugs as purchased took a little over a minute each to empty (5gal), we modified them and can do 12-13 gallons in just over a minute and 15 seconds. Gives you so much more time to think about tires, check fluids or just stage and be ready to go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
We had 2 or 3 "full" stops that were slightly over 5 minutes:

- Driver change
- 10 gallons of gas
- Check fluids
- Tire change
- Windshield cleaning

The team was pretty impressed, and we spilled more gas in the paddock than we ever did in the hot pits (awesome overflow engineering).

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

What did you guys use as fuel jugs? We've been looking at the Hunsaker jugs. http://hunsakerusa.com/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Modified VP jugs.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
How are brake pads measured? I'm debating whether I need a new set of rears or not. New pads list a thickness of 16mm. Is that overall or just the friction material? If the former, it looks like I have 60% left.
I really don't want to buy new pads that I might never use. This is hopefully the last weekend this car will do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

c355n4 posted:

What did you guys use as fuel jugs? We've been looking at the Hunsaker jugs. http://hunsakerusa.com/

A lot of teams use those and they seem to be pretty quick. We had some cheap generic 5-gal jugs that were absolute garbage until we added venting (something like http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gallon-jugs)

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

How are brake pads measured? I'm debating whether I need a new set of rears or not. New pads list a thickness of 16mm. Is that overall or just the friction material? If the former, it looks like I have 60% left.
I really don't want to buy new pads that I might never use. This is hopefully the last weekend this car will do.

Thickness is friction material. I try to change them before the pad material is equal to the backing plate thickness as a general rule of thumb.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 2, 2013

rotard
Jan 15, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Bring loads of water. I probably go through about 16 oz between each session, and that adds up after 6 sessions.

Thanks for the warning, I brought a gallon which i drank most of from my 2nd session on

quote:

A torque wrench for your lugs, which you should re-torque before every session.

Almost forgot that one. I did check them, however i did it before each session as they reccomended not trying to torque down the aluminum wheels when they were hot

quote:

A helmet and the attitude that you're there to learn.

You're pretty well covered on mechanical bits and if you should need something you didn't bring most groups are very friendly and willing to lend tools/assistance to get you back on the track.

Hindsight I was over prepared, and seemed to have brought as much stuff as some people with dedicated track cars. However I was able to actually lend things out which was a nice way to start convo's with people who know much more than me.

quote:

Bringing a pyrometer is pretty crazy for your first track day. Just go and have fun and learn, hope you don't have to gently caress with your own car and ride along with instructors with cool cars.

I brought the pyrometer so i can get use to seeing what is how hot and get in the habbit of checking my tires. I didnt make any adjustments based on temp changes, i just bled down the tires

All in all a great day, thank you track day goons for the answers and advice, i think im hooked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Blead the tires? You add air to have a lower hot pressure, removing air makes a higher hot pressure...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Blead the tires? You add air to have a lower hot pressure, removing air makes a higher hot pressure...

I want to hear how that all works.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FatCow posted:

I want to hear how that all works.

I don't know if you're saying I'm full of poo poo or not. Unless bikes are different than cars then you're looking for a range of cold-hot pressure gain from cold to hot off the track psi - usually 5-7psi (and if you've got warmers you set the warmers 1-2psi lower than the hot pressure you want). If you have less cold PSI in the tire, then the tire flexes more, and will lead to a greater pressure gain as you're creating more heat in the carcass. Bleeding air would lead you to have less air in the thing, increasing tire flex, thus increasing tire pressure further. Too much pressure gain means the carcass is getting too hot leading to the tire melting and you get hot tear. Too little pressure gain means the outer carcass isn't reaching proper temp and you get cold tear.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 3, 2013

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

In general, for cars in HPDE-type events, you go in with your tires aired up to their optimal working pressure -- say 40psi -- and when you come off the track after the first session (tires are hot and they've increased to perhaps to 44psi), you check pressures and bleed air to get to your optimal working pressure. They'll cool off as you wait in the pits (dropping pressure to perhaps to 34psi), but when you go back out, they should fairly quickly reach operating temp and pressure.

If you're diligent, you record the ambient temp, track temp, and pressure at every step, before and after every session, including laptime charts. In a few weekends you might have enough data to accurately predict the cold pressure to fill to obtain a given hot pressure, measure the amount of heat-related pressure gain (what you're talking about), and start experimenting with pressures.

Of course, the amount of heat you put into your tires depends on your experience level, how smooth you are, and (of course) track temps, variables which are continually changing.

Long story short, it's easiest to bleed pressures down to an appropriate level.

rotard
Jan 15, 2012
Bleeding down the tires is what i did. I started at 40psi all the way around, after my first session the tires were 47ish up front and 45 in the rears, i bled them down to 39 all the way around, after the next session they were 43is i belive all the way around, bled them to 39 again and they stayed that way for the rest of the day.

Tire temps wernt to hot, around 120deg f up front, actualy i dont know if thats 'hot' or not but they didnt seem to mind. rear's were 110'ish. The temp's mibht be a little off as i checked them after i was done adjusting my pressures

I did ask a few other subaru people and they were going on track in the morning with 35psi all the way around on cold direzza z2's

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://www.essexparts.com/learning-center/cat/brake-pads/post/swapping_pads

Anyone ever try this method of swapping pads without swapping rotors? I'm lazy enough that carrying the drat rotors around and removing the caliper brackets makes it too much of a hassle for me. But if I can just swap the track pads on a few days before, then remove them a few days after, it'd be perfect.

And no, I don't care about brake dust on the wheels.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chrysotile posted:

So the wife and I finally got the schedules to line up so we could take the V and make the trek down to Gainesville to make a few passes. She had never done it before, and I'd only done it twice in my old cobalt. Nonetheless, we were pumped.

First pass I drove and she watched, so she could get a feel for it. I was so excited to run that I didn't even remember to air down the rears. I drove around the waterbox too. Hell, after I got to the timeslip booth, I realized that I didn't shut off the fancy dual zone climate control properly and the compressor was still running.

Result? (Right lane)

Could not believe it! I was just trying to get the car down straight and show the wife what to look for, hand signals to watch, etc. I was shocked at how well the pass was.

Of course, that was the best run I'd have all night. But we're hooked, and already making plans to go back again. Had an awesome time.

Going back to this one. Yes, the A/C shuts off while you're at WOT on most cars, but you still want to have it shut off in advance if you can - the condensation has to go somewhere, and a lot of times that somewhere is on the ground for your tires to run over and cause traction issues.

And assuming you have street tires on the car, driving around the waterbox is exactly what you want to do. Nearly any street tire is going to do better from a quick dry hop than they are roasting in a waterbox. The deeper treads on street tires (especially your fronts) can drag water forward so that your tires may still actually be wet when you go to launch. So you actually did that part right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you can get to AZ in a hurry, there's a deal on Bondurant's 4-day racing school:

Bondurant posted:

Brenan from the Bondurant HPD School here. Per the Government shut-down, we had a 6 person group of military personnel that had to cancel last minute. To fill these seats we are offering a $3,350 priced 4day Grand Prix course NEXT week on 10/7/2013. I thought you may want to know about this money saving deal. It’s the cheapest we’ve ever offered this class.
Pretty good price.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know if you're saying I'm full of poo poo or not. Unless bikes are different than cars then you're looking for a range of cold-hot pressure gain from cold to hot off the track psi - usually 5-7psi (and if you've got warmers you set the warmers 1-2psi lower than the hot pressure you want). If you have less cold PSI in the tire, then the tire flexes more, and will lead to a greater pressure gain as you're creating more heat in the carcass. Bleeding air would lead you to have less air in the thing, increasing tire flex, thus increasing tire pressure further. Too much pressure gain means the carcass is getting too hot leading to the tire melting and you get hot tear. Too little pressure gain means the outer carcass isn't reaching proper temp and you get cold tear.

Yeah, cars don't work anything like that. Higher cold pressure = higher hot pressure. Generally you set your cold pressure to a decent guess (or look at your historical data) on the first session then bleed them down to where you want your hot pressure to be after the first session. If the temps stay about the same through the day you're pretty much done. If it gets hotter you bleed off another PSI or two during the day to keep your hot temps about right.

The correct way is to do all of this with a tire pyrometer and not care about your tire pressure as long as the temps are even enough.

Crustashio posted:

Anyone ever try this method of swapping pads without swapping rotors? I'm lazy enough that carrying the drat rotors around and removing the caliper brackets makes it too much of a hassle for me. But if I can just swap the track pads on a few days before, then remove them a few days after, it'd be perfect.

I just run Hawk HP+s for autocross and Hawk HT-10s for track. Hawk says you can swap pads within their product line without re-bedding. I've never had an issue swapping between them without changing the rotors.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I've always done this and only thing I do before getting on the track (or on warmup laps) is a few hard, fast stops. Never bothered with dedicated track rotors. Drive to the track on street pads, swap the morning of or night before in the hotel parking lot or paddock and have fun. End of the weekend swap back or drive back on track pads if I didn't feel like letting things cool down.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

I swap pads on my e30. Axxis ults for DD and pfc 06's for track.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

If you can get to AZ in a hurry, there's a deal on Bondurant's 4-day racing school:

Pretty good price.

Gonna kick that over to my dad, thanks for posting it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Thanks guys, I'll just keep my new track rotors on the car and keep the old ones as spares. Even have a nice long stretch of desolate road to bed the pads in on before a track day. Now to just wait until may for the first track day :(

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Impressive crash at ALMS VIR this weekend. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt, but DAMNED close to being tragic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfvu29GMv8c

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Any Canberra/surrounding goons recommend some good introductions to track days/racing? I did a V8 Auscar drive out on the weekend and I'm hooked and would like to learn more in a safe environment before I head out there myself. The 5th gear motoring track days look pretty good, can anyone vouch for their beginner friendliness?

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Crustashio posted:

Martin at Girodisc recommended something similar to this for me when I talked to him. His was a bit briefer though:

"drive to and from the track on the track pads and it should grind the existing transfer layer off going both ways."

Also, on the tire pressure debate... Tire manufacturer's have tire pressure recommendations for "hot" temperatures. I played around with tire pressures on my car for a few track days but have settled on a typical pressure that feels good for me and lands in the tire manufacturer spec (where I expect it to anyway) after getting up to temperature on track.

nollij fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 6, 2013

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I took my formula 500 car to the late night drags at Portland raceway on Friday. My Fastest run was a 12.442 @ 101.86mph. My reaction times were pretty terrible since I wasn't sure how to time the lights with the centrifugal clutch engagement on the CVT. I had a lot of people asking me about the car while I was there. It seemed like everyone was pretty interested in seeing it run, even the guys running the track. It was pretty fun but I doubt I'll be taking it to the strip again since it's not made for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WmD7y6_nE

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

NinjaTech posted:

I took my formula 500 car to the late night drags at Portland raceway on Friday. My Fastest run was a 12.442 @ 101.86mph. My reaction times were pretty terrible since I wasn't sure how to time the lights with the centrifugal clutch engagement on the CVT. I had a lot of people asking me about the car while I was there. It seemed like everyone was pretty interested in seeing it run, even the guys running the track. It was pretty fun but I doubt I'll be taking it to the strip again since it's not made for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9WmD7y6_nE

This is loving awesome.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

c355n4 posted:

This is loving awesome.

Thanks, it was pretty awesome to try running at a drag strip for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Where do you normally run? It's been ages since I went drag racing at PIR.