Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well, at least you didn't almost get hit crossing the street with you dog because some guy thought it would be sweet to show off his sweet drifting skills in the middle of a gooddamn intersection. gently caress new lexus owners forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Well, at least you didn't almost get hit crossing the street with you dog because some guy thought it would be sweet to show off his sweet drifting skills in the middle of a gooddamn intersection. gently caress new lexus owners forever.

No, but I have been hit by a car crossing a street in downtown seattle at the cross walk, with the light by a woman who was trying to turn right on a red. She actually hit me twice, bumped me the first time creeping forward, did not notice and hit the gas again, so I slammed on her hood and left a nice dent. When she realized what she had done, she got a deer in headlights look on her face, then hit the gas and turned. My knee was pretty sore for a week or 2 after that. I also had a guy get out of his car to try and fight me cause I was crossing at the exact same spot where I had been hit and he was trying to turn right. Ever since the woman hit me, I made sure to make eye contact with drivers turning so they wouldn't run me over. Apparently looking at that guy meant I wanted to fight him so he got out of his car and started yelling at me. All because I wanted to walk across the street and get a cup of coffee.

Yea, gently caress seattle drivers.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
It's not that people don't know how to do change their own headlights or taillights, it's that they come into our store and expect us to install the bulb they bought somewhere else. :argh:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
A few days ago I noticed the ute (it's either a nissan or a lowlux. Don't pay much attention) that a P plate neighbour owns parked in their front yard with the left front nicely crushed in. No P plates on it any more for some reason. I'm not complaining. It doesn't look bad enough that anyone was injured but at least I won't be sharing the road with him at least in that vehicle for a while. He drove like a dick around town. Not as bad as the lady in the blue XR6 that ignores school speed zones zones and school crossings. My family isn't the only one that's nearly been ran over by her. The police have a presence there when school starts / leaves so she must have been done at some point, but she still does it. gently caress some people, seriously.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I worked at Enterprise my branch manager had no idea which cars were FWD or RWD, only that the cars with the big engines go fast. We're in a Cadillac STS on a slushy winter morning at a 4-way signaled intersection waiting to take a left. Light turns green, no one in the oncoming lane, he floors it and cuts the wheel to the left. The car oversteers so dramatically instead of being pointed in the correct direction in the lane he was aiming for, we are now completely backwards and facing oncoming traffic. My rear end in a top hat puckered a bit that morning.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Almost got hit by someone deciding to merge without an indicator today.

Don't give me a crusty when I honk at you, dickhead. Learn to plan your route, lanes and actually indicate when you want to change lanes. I would have actually let you in.

Seriously, drivers who get angry at you for calling them out for being a lovely driver grind my gears.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I always signal when I'm turning or merging, but I have to admit sometimes I wish I didn't. Often when I'm on the highway the guy who was just barely leaving enough room for me to get in will speed up to close the gap the moment I signal my intention to be in front of him. Can't have that, then I'd be beating him!

It is amazing to me how few people actually signal though. It's got to be less than 50% around here.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I like the people who signal after they have gotten half way through their merge/turn/whatever. I guess they know that they are supposed to signal but just have no idea why. :downs:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Or the people who blink their blinker twice and then spend the next quarter mile slooooooowly changing lanes.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Galler posted:

I like the people who signal after they have gotten half way through their merge/turn/whatever. I guess they know that they are supposed to signal but just have no idea why. :downs:

That's the issue I have with my wife - no matter how many times I patiently explain that a turn signal is an indication of intent, she always uses it as a "Status: I am merging" indicator. Which is useless since, you know, you can see the actual car moving over at that point. Frequently, she flicks it on and off so fast that it occasionally does not have time to actually illuminate the signal. She is also confused as to why people are "such assholes" about letting her in to merge, even though they literally have no way of knowing that she wants to.

At this point I just have to ignore it, and pray that nothing bad happens as a result. :sigh:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

At least they use the damned thing.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I met somebody today that we should all be thankful we're not sharing the road with!

I got a call today to go unlock some old mercedes(I'm a locksmith), and when I get out there I find this impossibly old woman who can barely move around, hear, see, or seemingly remain cognizant of her surroundings. While it's not my place to decide who can and cannot drive, I'm very relieved when I can't find her keys anywhere in her car- she then tells me that her daughter or grandson probably have them, since they don't think she should be driving, but it's her car god dammit, and she'll drive it if she wants to! She has me come inside, and tries to get me to call them for her, which I politely decline, as it's really not my place to get involved in this sort of situation. She calls her daughter who doesn't answer, then calls her grandson who picks up the phone just long enough to tell her he's busy with work before hanging up and turning off his phone.

She leaves him two lonely, pleading voicemails before I manage to excuse myself, and the whole thing was just very :smith:...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I always signal when I'm turning or merging, but I have to admit sometimes I wish I didn't. Often when I'm on the highway the guy who was just barely leaving enough room for me to get in will speed up to close the gap the moment I signal my intention to be in front of him. Can't have that, then I'd be beating him!

If your car is as rusty and beat up as mine then you can pull a "Toronto cab driver" and just start slowly moving over with your signal on wether there is room or not.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

este posted:

That's the issue I have with my wife - no matter how many times I patiently explain that a turn signal is an indication of intent, she always uses it as a "Status: I am merging" indicator.

I'm curious - do you usually wait for some indication of "OK, merge" from the next car back in the lane you're intending to change into? In my experience there are far too many "this is a race! I'M WINNING GODDAMNIT!!!" and/or "I'm the rightful owner of this highway, GET OUT OF MAH LANES!" drivers on the road to put your blinker on to signal your intention and politely wait from permission. It seems that even when I change lanes in front of someone several carlengths back they still take offense and immediately plant themselves two inches off my rear bumper.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geoj posted:

I'm curious - do you usually wait for some indication of "OK, merge" from the next car back in the lane you're intending to change into? In my experience there are far too many "this is a race! I'M WINNING GODDAMNIT!!!" and/or "I'm the rightful owner of this highway, GET OUT OF MAH LANES!" drivers on the road to put your blinker on to signal your intention and politely wait from permission. It seems that even when I change lanes in front of someone several carlengths back they still take offense and immediately plant themselves two inches off my rear bumper.

I make sure there's room, put on the blinker and start moving over on the second blink. I usually ignore the gap-closing idiots, it's not like they're actually willing to hit you anyway.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Geoj posted:

Generally the space in to which I'm merging is large enough for my car to fit already, so I just make sure the car behind the gap isn't closing in and then go for it. If I'm asking to merge in, I move up far enough that the driver behind the (much smaller/non-existent) gap, signal, and hope they're not a dick about it. And I try to return the favor when it comes up.

Some people are dicks about it, but usually it's not that big of a deal. But Portland drivers are bad because they're timid, not because they're assholes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BLARGHLE posted:

I met somebody today that we should all be thankful we're not sharing the road with!

I got a call today to go unlock some old mercedes(I'm a locksmith), and when I get out there I find this impossibly old woman who can barely move around, hear, see, or seemingly remain cognizant of her surroundings. While it's not my place to decide who can and cannot drive, I'm very relieved when I can't find her keys anywhere in her car- she then tells me that her daughter or grandson probably have them, since they don't think she should be driving, but it's her car god dammit, and she'll drive it if she wants to! She has me come inside, and tries to get me to call them for her, which I politely decline, as it's really not my place to get involved in this sort of situation. She calls her daughter who doesn't answer, then calls her grandson who picks up the phone just long enough to tell her he's busy with work before hanging up and turning off his phone.

She leaves him two lonely, pleading voicemails before I manage to excuse myself, and the whole thing was just very :smith:...

While that's quite :smith:, many elderly, my granma included, don't really know when to say stop and have no business being on the road at all. I really hope that when my time comes, I'll have the balls to call it quits in time, and be in a position where I'm not dependent on a car.

I have major respect for my late granpa; when he was in his late seventies he took the bus down to the police station and turned in his driver's license, stating that now he had driven for many years with only a few minor accidents with only material damage, and that he would hate to end it with hurting someone now. He then took the bus back home again, sold his Daihatsu Charade (which I should have bought off of them if I had half a brain) and distributed the proceeds amongst his grandchildren.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

este posted:

"Status: I am merging"

Here in Miami people love to use their hazard lights as "Status: it's raining and I am scared" indicators. Doing 55 in a 55 and the rain is barely affecting visibility? Hazards even though you're not scared enough to get off the road. Stopped at a light in low visibility? Hazards. In a confusing multi-lane multi-exit-entrance merge area in the rain? Forget signaling, it's rainy and you need to use the "I'm scared" lights of your luxury crossover to let me know that it's raining instead.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Here in Miami people love to use their hazard lights as "Status: it's raining and I am scared" indicators. Doing 55 in a 55 and the rain is barely affecting visibility? Hazards even though you're not scared enough to get off the road. Stopped at a light in low visibility? Hazards. In a confusing multi-lane multi-exit-entrance merge area in the rain? Forget signaling, it's rainy and you need to use the "I'm scared" lights of your luxury crossover to let me know that it's raining instead.

Wow, they actually use hazards in Miami? When I was living in Daytona I only used the hazards once, because the rain got so bad that I couldn't see the silver car five feet in front of me, and I was in a silver car, and it's Florida drivers.

Speaking of rain though, yesterday in the midst of the weather, I got cut off by a F350. I was in the right lane and ahead of him, but instead of merging behind me he had to speed up and cut me off, because

Also about t-boned someone right in front of my work. One of those "me too" stop sign runners. Guy at the stop was stopped and had room to make the left hand turn out, this guy I saw speeding through the parking lot didn't even bother to touch the brakes as he zipped behind the first guy. Gave me that dirty look for honking at him, because I guess I'm the one who is suppose to yield to him?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

YF19pilot posted:

Speaking of rain though, yesterday in the midst of the weather, I got cut off by a F350. I was in the right lane and ahead of him, but instead of merging behind me he had to speed up and cut me off, because

I am not sure the logic behind it, but the people around here driving them usually have humongo rear end pipes or stacks. Its alright with me, usually its driven by some 20 year old kid and they are doing a great job at pissing away fuel (fuel=money) so I really dont care. Wanna throw money out the window? Go ahead!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Speaking of turn signal misuse- has anybody seen people signal for the cars around them? What I mean is that if a driver saw the car in front or behind of them signalling to turn, they would also put on their turn signal, but then not actually turn. I saw it all the time in the deep south(especially alabama), and it almost caused an accident pretty much every time...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hazard lights are basically "traffic's stopped up ahead and I'm about to brake pretty hard, watch out" to me, and nothing else apart from actually being broken down on the side of the road, which has only ever happened to me once.

But I see a lot of people using it for Copenhagen Parking. Just throw your car wherever and put on the hazards, because you'll only be a minute (more like 15-20 minutes) and you're only blocking one lane during rush hour, so it's OK. When I had to park my car halfway on the road and halfway on the bike lane because my right rear wheel completely locked up, I got a poo poo ton of pissed-off looks from other drivers while I stood on the sidewalk and waited for the flatbed. Goddammit, I wasn't parking like an rear end in a top hat, I was legitimately broken down, I even had the warning triangle out and everything.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 4, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BLARGHLE posted:

Speaking of turn signal misuse- has anybody seen people signal for the cars around them? What I mean is that if a driver saw the car in front or behind of them signalling to turn, they would also put on their turn signal, but then not actually turn. I saw it all the time in the deep south(especially alabama), and it almost caused an accident pretty much every time...

I've never seen anything like that. I usually just see people driving with their turn signal on for miles and miles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In some countries (Japan & Singapore for sure, probably others) hazard lights are used to say "I am pulling in to stop at the side of the road". In the UK, we just indicate to that side, and people are meant to work out contextually that you're stopping rather than turning. Unfailingly, the ones who don't are the ones who ride your arse all the way up the street, leaving them with insufficient gap to pull round you when they finally realise you're coming to a halt. At which point they get really arsey with you.

So in short, the UK method antagonises tailgating cunts, and is therefore preferable.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BLARGHLE posted:

I have lived/driven all over Alabama for 40 years (24 of which driving) and never seen this.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
That's crazy, because I saw it pretty regularly in and around montgomery for the year I was there...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

KozmoNaut posted:

Hazard lights are basically "traffic's stopped up ahead and I'm about to brake pretty hard, watch out" to me, and nothing else apart from actually being broken down on the side of the road, which has only ever happened to me once.

They can also be used to indicate a vehicle which is moving at an otherwise unsafely slow pace compared to speed limit/traffic. I had to run a commercial truck back and forth on a 200 mile (one way) route which involved running up steep, long hills on the interstate in a truck that was probably on its last leg and barely had any power. I took a cue from seeing fully laden dump trucks running through the Appalachians and threw on the hazards anytime I dropped below 15 under (usually by the time I got to the top I could be going as slow as 20~30 mph under the speed limit, so it was pretty imperative to not be rear-ended by an oblivious driver).

Of course, people will still tail gate you or wait until the last minute to switch lanes, and conversely, will cut you off and slow down so you can't pick up speed on the down hill.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Up here turn signals are a sign of weakness, and also sorta giving away your next move. I use them, but if I suspect someone is going to be a dick about letting me merge in (generally when they've been hogging the left lane and going absolutely nowhere for several miles, it's guaranteed) I hit the stalk with my finger as I turn the wheel to merge, gently caress em, if they want to lollygag around in the road I'm not going to give them any warning. The law here states that you must signal at least 100 feet before making your move, so at 80mph (90% of my commute is 80+, or I get tailgated) you only actually have to signal for 0.85 seconds. :getin:

Hazards in NYC (so glad I got out of that hellhole after being stuck there for work) are a "haha I feel like parking in this lane, whichever one it happens to be" signal. Up here, they are an "ATTENTION POLICE: I AM DOING SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T BE" signal, though generally use mine when I see a bad jam-up ahead and am worried about getting rear ended by some inattentive driver behind me.

I generally am the rustiest, most dented, dirtiest vehicle in any traffic situation, so most people aren't willing to play "I am GOING TO WIN DAMMIT" and try to block me out of a lane, because they are going to lose.

I don't like driving like a dick really, but then everyone else fumblefucks around on the road like a bunch of scared, lost sheep and I go from "I'm going to drive nicely" to "if you don't get out of my drat way I am going around you, keep right except to pass is just as much a law as no passing on the right" pretty quickly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BLARGHLE posted:

That's crazy, because I saw it pretty regularly in and around montgomery for the year I was there...

I'd never seen this until I visited with my ex's family in Michigan, right outside of Detroit. I noticed this happening with cars several times and was confused so I asked about it and yep, that's apparently how they do it up there.

Also, today, I was the rear end in a top hat :(

I dropped by my apartment complex office this morning to drop off my rent check. I just parked, popped on my hazards, jumped out, dropped my check in the overnight slot, jumped back in my car, buckled, and shifted into 1st. Well apparently I forgot to turn my hazards off, and the angle at which I view my turn signal indicators at my normal driving position is blocked completely by the top of my steering wheel...it wasn't until a couple miles later when I went to turn left, put my blinker on, leaned slightly forward to make sure the signal was on, and noticed my hazards had been on the whole time.

It's okay if it happens every once in a while, right? :smith:

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 4, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I don't like driving like a dick really, but then everyone else fumblefucks around on the road like a bunch of scared, lost sheep and I go from "I'm going to drive nicely" to "if you don't get out of my drat way I am going around you, keep right except to pass is just as much a law as no passing on the right" pretty quickly.

This is why I like driving my Rover. Its not the largest truck on the road, but for some reason that castled hood moving at high speed makes people move the gently caress out of the way.

I normally keep it pretty sane, but gently caress the drivers here... I swear to god they are all dumb fuckers.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
It's funny because WE are the dumb fuckers that everyone is talking about. Everyone is a bad driver except for me; it's true for everyone.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bolind posted:

While that's quite :smith:, many elderly, my granma included, don't really know when to say stop and have no business being on the road at all. I really hope that when my time comes, I'll have the balls to call it quits in time, and be in a position where I'm not dependent on a car.

I have major respect for my late granpa; when he was in his late seventies he took the bus down to the police station and turned in his driver's license, stating that now he had driven for many years with only a few minor accidents with only material damage, and that he would hate to end it with hurting someone now. He then took the bus back home again, sold his Daihatsu Charade (which I should have bought off of them if I had half a brain) and distributed the proceeds amongst his grandchildren.

Well that's pretty responsible of him to do that, but that guy is definitely a statistical anomaly. I can't imagine how hard it is for some people to have to take away that amount of freedom from their own parents, and I really don't think they should have to. This should absolutely be the state's responsibility to have some sort of frequent re-test for the elderly to ensure the safety of everyone else on the road. My boss had to take away his mom's license like 10 years ago and she still gives him poo poo for it. Well let her blame Obama since she's gonna blame him for everything anyway. I really don't feel comfortable relying on everyone's ability to stand up to their parents to determine my safety. My dad has a 1970 E-type, how the hell am I gonna just take that away from him when the time comes if he doesn't want to give it up?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's funny because WE are the dumb fuckers that everyone is talking about. Everyone is a bad driver except for me; it's true for everyone.

Yeah, this is the god drat truth. Every one thinks every one is bad driver, and they are the best driver god ever made.

But still, stop staring at a green light!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
There are people that pay attention to driving, that pay attention when driving, and there are people who don't. I'm going to guess most of AI is in the former.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 4, 2013

piss boner
May 17, 2003

If you are done pumping gas and need something inside, move your fuckin car. 4 of the 10 spots were unmanned and there were 6 cars waiting behind other cars.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

bolind posted:

Seriously, your Grandfather was awesome. That's got to be a very hard thing to do, admitting that you're unfit to do something you've always been able to do. I hope I'm able to do that when the time comes, but I doubt I will be. I'm just not that responsible.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I know it sounds stupid, but I practice good driving habits; hands at 11-2 or 10-3, mirror usage, etc. I practice being a good driver.

Side story of awesome: When I was 14 or 15 or so, my grandfather took me out in a huge gravel/dirt parking lot and taught me how to induce slides and understeer and how to correct it. Keep in mind, that at the time, my grandfather was in his 60s, was a WWII veteran of D Day / The Bulge / Hurtgen Forest. He took no poo poo, and walked with crutches and mangled up legs after a tank landed on them. A cop came screaming up with lights on and got out all in a huff, with the biggest "WUT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOIN', BOYAH??" My Pops simple looked him square in the eye and said "Teachin my gran'son how to drive, whats it look like ahm doin?" The cop blinked at us both and said "Welp, yall be careful". Then he left.

Probably one of the best days of my life: Powersliding in a 1980s Pontiac Perisenne, having my first cig (unfiltered Chesterfield) and first beer (Bud), all with my Pops riding shotgun :3:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

piss boner posted:

If you are done pumping gas and need something inside, move your fuckin car. 4 of the 10 spots were unmanned and there were 6 cars waiting behind other cars.

Yes to this. Nothing is worse than trying to get gas on a cold snowy morning here than dealing with plow drivers sitting in their trucks drinking coffee at the pumps.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

BabyMauler posted:

Yes to this. Nothing is worse than trying to get gas on a cold snowy morning here than dealing with plow drivers sitting in their trucks drinking coffee at the pumps.

Heh, if you think that's bad, I was at a stop after Burning Man happened, and these Burners parked their school bus in the fuel island and went inside and took SHOWERS. Thankfully they did it on the car and pick-up side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My parents aren't old enough for it to be an issue yet, but I've told them flat out between myself and my sister they'd have a ride anywhere at anytime if they ever want to stop driving. Neither of them are really passionate about driving, but the whole giving up your license thing has to be a two way street. You can't just remove someone's mobility without providing a substitute.