Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So this is the fourth tech-related number they've received and the second one in social networking. The other two were Root and that kid with the super-compression. In addition to numbers like Leon and Zoe who are assets to the team, it seems like the Machine is watching for potential threats or improvements to it's very system. I doubt the irrelevant numbers are chosen randomly. I also wonder if SuperAnonymous is acting at the behest of the Machine, eliminating possible competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Slamhound posted:

So this is the fourth tech-related number they've received and the second one in social networking. The other two were Root and that kid with the super-compression. In addition to numbers like Leon and Zoe who are assets to the team, it seems like the Machine is watching for potential threats or improvements to it's very system. I doubt the irrelevant numbers are chosen randomly. I also wonder if SuperAnonymous is acting at the behest of the Machine, eliminating possible competition.

I'm kinda getting that feeling too, from last season we already know that the Machine is capable of setting up an entire shell corporation to maintain its "memories" with nobody being aware that it's not a real person, so now that it's "free" it may be using the same methods for a different purpose.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Managed to catch the paley stream after all. Theres some very slight spoilers for next weeks episode so far, since i think they screened that before the panel.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
A few things I remember from Paley stream.

Bear is talked about quite often. Fusco reminds us that he started with Bear first.
Emerson talks about when walking around NYC people ask him all the time if he will keep the dog.
Shaw and Carter flashbacks will happen sometime during the show.
Root does leave the mental asylum.
Shaw and Root will meet again and possibly fight

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Taraji couldn't be at the panel because she was filming the aforementioned flashback.

A fan from China attended the panel and gave Emerson and Caviziel little Reese and Finch plushies and Jim gave her a hug. :3:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

This will get uploaded to YouTube later, right?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KilGrey posted:

This will get uploaded to YouTube later, right?

Yeah the Paley center usually puts the panels up in clips if not the full thing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Slamhound posted:

I'm very much against this train of thought. If only because everything we've seen of the Machine thus far has suggested that it wants to save every life it possibly can. I would be out of character, in my opinion, for the machine to rally up an army for the sole purpose of "eliminating the competition."

I do however believe that the Machine's plan for root definitely involves these people, whether it be protection from them, or having root act as the Machine's prophet to turn them onto it's side without bloodshed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I agree it just seems like people who get into this sort of trouble often have tons to lose, hardest to fall and all that. The fact most of these numbers usually are top of their fields, etc. just make them more likely targets and have more enemies.

That being said someone like Leon showing up constantly is probably The Machine going "it's a repeat and easily resolved" and more of a coincidence of the writing than anything else that whenever someone like Leon gets rescued he ends up helping the team for the episode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm very much against this train of thought. If only because everything we've seen of the Machine thus far has suggested that it wants to save every life it possibly can. I would be out of character, in my opinion, for the machine to rally up an army for the sole purpose of "eliminating the competition."

I do however believe that the Machine's plan for root definitely involves these people, whether it be protection from them, or having root act as the Machine's prophet to turn them onto it's side without bloodshed.
I wasn't suggesting the Machine wants people murdered, but it does provide the government with numbers that are likely to end in a deadly confrontation, so it's not necessarily going to balk at some hostiles being lost for the greater good. And by "competition" I mostly meant other machines or systems; the network this guy created facilitated stalking and murder and existed without oversight. Life-trace basically does what the Machine does-makes connections-only without the directive.

I'm not especially married to this theory, it's just fascinating how the Machine has emerged as such a presence while acting almost entirely in the background.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

The Machine could see Life Trace as a threat because of what it facilitates - makes it easy for stalkers etc to get information on people, leading to violent confrontation. So, yes, it would want to stop the event, but might also want to stop the precipitating circumstances.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
While we're speculating, it could be that the machine has noticed that a bunch of the folks saved by Team Finch have changed their ways afterwards. Maybe it's using Not-Anonymous as a way to force a threat on these people that it sees as problems, and then spits out the target's number so that he/she can be saved and "redeemed".

Yeah, probably a little bit too convoluted.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I still think that it's fascinating writing that The Machine has so much character that we've seen through nothing more than some brief glances of analytical data and a handful of direct actions (setting up a corporation to record its memories).

The Machine directing Reese to take out the hostile Decima agents in the S2 finale is still one of the greatest scenes in the show, IMO.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I just noticed that the POI rewatch blog's final entries are all about the writers failing to drink Pepsi. Did a sponsorship deal fall through, leaving the writers adrift and bitter?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Squidster posted:

I just noticed that the POI rewatch blog's final entries are all about the writers failing to drink Pepsi. Did a sponsorship deal fall through, leaving the writers adrift and bitter?

I think it's some sort of gag where for every bad idea they get they chuck a pepsi.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I just got into watching this and am catching up with the whole show, I loving love it. I do have a question is it every explained why Finch uses a board of what appears to be a broken window? Like what is that? My theory is its a window from the World Trade Center, but I dunno is it ever explained?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It was probably just in the library. I don't know if it's got that much of an intricate backstory, but it makes for a really fun looking prop when they use it.

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!

Zaggitz posted:

It was probably just in the library. I don't know if it's got that much of an intricate backstory, but it makes for a really fun looking prop when they use it.

Didn't it get broken in an S1 episode? Something in the back of my mind says it did, but I can't recall any specifics.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nah it's always been broken, I'm fairly sure even in the Nathan in the library flashbacks it's there and broken.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
To me the whole anonymus storyline is not as convuluted as some of you think. It seems that they are portrayed as data privacy group from hell and will probably try to find out more/destroy the machine/team finch later in the season. In this they are the newest incarnation of a story-archtype we had pretty much since season one.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Heh

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Only if what they have planned involved massive loss of life. "Relevant" threats seem to be predicated on wide-scale attacks that threaten large numbers of people. The few Machine-aided instances of relevant numbers coming up have all fallen into that category, things like dirty bombs and people smuggling plutonium. If Militant Anonymous limits themselves to small-scale attacks...a databroker here, a politician there, blackmail and extortion instead of outright murder...then it's possible they can stay under the Machine's relevance threshold. Which makes them Reese and Finch's problem.

You also have to bear in mind that the Machine controls itself now, so it really is the one deciding what to call relevant these days. It could decide to pass a relevant threat to Finch and company if it felt like it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Please don't post tumblr slash art in this thread.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
And there is much worse, the only way I can erase it from my mind is probably to walk into a sketchy bar and goad everyone into beating me to within an inch of my life.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Show them tumblr slash art, I'm pretty sure that'll do it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

You also have to bear in mind that the Machine controls itself now, so it really is the one deciding what to call relevant these days. It could decide to pass a relevant threat to Finch and company if it felt like it.

Is it though? I mean if it's still only communicating by Social Security numbers then maybe it's still sort of following it's original program. I mean why else doesn't it just info dump all available information to them?

That's what makes me think that its not actually communicating with Root and that she's just crazy the machine didn't give her information on that doctor she found that on her own.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The reason the machine is only giving Reese and Finch socials(encoded in dewey decimal system) is because any more information being passed through the internet could conceivably be tracked by people like root or the Northern Light program.

Alternatively, the explanation Nathan gives in S1 about only getting a number being the only way the government doesn't infringe on people's rights.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

One thing I'm not clear on; When he freed the machine, did he also patch out the part of its programming that forced it to wipe itself every night?

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Hollis posted:

Is it though? I mean if it's still only communicating by Social Security numbers then maybe it's still sort of following it's original program. I mean why else doesn't it just info dump all available information to them?

That's what makes me think that its not actually communicating with Root and that she's just crazy the machine didn't give her information on that doctor she found that on her own.

If it is contacting Root, then it's already changing the rules of its original program, since the phone call was meant to be the last resort thing. Also, here's an interesting theory on why it keeps only giving social security numbers: it knows Finch's views on privacy and due process (which he just stated in this episode and which Nathan brought up in a flashback) and is continuing the number system out of respect for that.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

SiKboy posted:

One thing I'm not clear on; When he freed the machine, did he also patch out the part of its programming that forced it to wipe itself every night?

That would probably fall under "learn to defend yourself" so I'm gonna go with yes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

If it is contacting Root, then it's already changing the rules of its original program, since the phone call was meant to be the last resort thing. Also, here's an interesting theory on why it keeps only giving social security numbers: it knows Finch's views on privacy and due process (which he just stated in this episode and which Nathan brought up in a flashback) and is continuing the number system out of respect for that.

That makes the machine even more frightening if it has respect. I don't know I find the whole concept that the machine has feelings or something akin to feeling terrifying.

I also completely see the machine becoming a major foe or at least Decimus or another company somehow extrapolating and stealing the code for it and you end up with 2 competing AIs.

I mean here is the thing, and the show hasn't discussed it yet. The machine can improve itself ,but Harold crippled it in a way so as to take away it's memories. It's figured out a way around that, it's now under it's own power. So Harold just ushered in the apocalypse because the only place to go from here is the Singularity which is kind a of big scary thing.

The direction I see the show going is :

Competing AI
The Machine evolving and becoming more intelligent to the point of super intelligent which is inevitable. Remember the machine has been "active" for 2 years.

Having the show end with the Machine ushering in the new age of mankind would be amazing.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

All I know is Jonah Nolan promised it would never go the way of Skynet from the terminator movies. And coined it in a way that was like "what if you had something with the power of skynet, but completely benevolent?"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It is kind of great that after all her "bad code" talk, Root is having her code corrected by the Machine (kind of, and with debatable success).

As for the new group, I'm somewhat ambivalent. Ideology has played such a negligible role in the conflicts up to now beyond the vaguest of principles that I'm somewhat concerned we're headed for a blatant "benevolent technocrats against evil ideologues," though precedent could just as easily suggest that the show has been just as hard on purportedly benevolent technocrats (even including Finch and Reese) as it has on anyone else. If a network procedural actually threads the needle and critiques both ideology and "ideologylessness" I'll be impressed.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hollis posted:

That makes the machine even more frightening if it has respect. I don't know I find the whole concept that the machine has feelings or something akin to feeling terrifying.

The first two sentient and non-directed decisions we've seen it make are saving Harold's life and setting him up with a girl.

Yeah, I'm terrified of the awesome potential of Skymatch.com.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Boogaleeboo posted:

The first two sentient and non-directed decisions we've seen it make are saving Harold's life and setting him up with a girl.

Yeah, I'm terrified of the awesome potential of Skymatch.com.

Person of Interest: One Nation Under Skymatch.com

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I'm worried about the idea of Root teaching the machine. They are having an argument over whether or not to kill the doctor. What are the chances of Root winning the Machine over? And what happens when Root teaches the Machine just how hosed up people are?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The Machine spends most of it's time profiling, for lack of a better term, rapists and murders and terrorists. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's gotten the newsflash that lots of people suck.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

burtonos posted:

I'm worried about the idea of Root teaching the machine. They are having an argument over whether or not to kill the doctor. What are the chances of Root winning the Machine over? And what happens when Root teaches the Machine just how hosed up people are?
What could she possibly see better than the omnipotent eyes of the Machine? Right now, across the world, it's watching every spouse-beating cancer-drug-stealing murderer in the entire world, knows about the worst excesses of the CIA and every world government, and it wants to help us anyway. It's the closest thing to a benevolent god we're going to see.

I'm expecting that when PoI finally does end, it's going to be pretty close to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeboqg4t9vs.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:Tonight's episode:siren:: Lady Killer

Synopsis:Reese and Finch enlist the help of Carter, Shaw and Zoe Morgan, who use their feminine wiles to bait a chameleon playboy who is either a predator or someone else’s imminent prey. Meanwhile, The Machine helps Root to plot an escape from her psych ward confinement before a dangerous enemy can track her down.

Preview

Sneak Peek 1

Sneak Peek 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Shaw looks sooo grumpy wearing that dress.

• Locked thread