Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Zonekeeper posted:

Assuming I wasn't listening to a simulcast, this could be the explanation! This happened when I was like 5, so I'm probably forgetting most of the details - the part that sticks out was the same audio coming out of my clock radio and TV at once.

(Again, assuming I didn't unknowingly tune in to a simulcast) It looks like I was wrong about which channel it was - channel 6 in Birmingham (where I lived when this happened) is a Fox affiliate.

I can't find a cite, but I remember reading that the reason broadcast TV started at channel 3 back in the day is because the lower end overlaps with police/taxi 2-way radio bands.

Similarly, FM transmitters for MP3 players (to use your iPod without a tape deck or aux in, were big a from the late '90s up until a few years ago when new cars started coming with USB or at least 3.5mm input jacks) and some wireless headsets step on the bottom end of the FM band. I'll be listening to NPR and pass an older car or pull up to the McDonald's window, and it'll go to static.

Edit: AM radio is 153kHz-26Mhz, FM is 88-108MHz, two-way radios and TV channels 1-6 are in between (CB, for example, is around 27MHz), and TV channels 7 and above are above FM. So TV channels 6 and 7 could be picked up at the ends of an FM dial if they overstepped their bandwidth or your radio had some slop in the tuner. Wikipedia has charts if you want specifics.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 16:05 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Armyman25 posted:

FM radio adapter for your 8-track.

I want to believe that somewhere, there's someone with an AMC Gremlin that still has a factory 8-track deck, playing a smartphone through an FM transmitter and one of those...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

I can't find a cite, but I remember reading that the reason broadcast TV started at channel 3 back in the day is because the lower end overlaps with police/taxi 2-way radio bands.

Channel 2 is very much a station. Channel 1 was until 1948.

Early Television Museum, which has a lot of interesting stuff, includes this Andrea set that tunes channel one:

Unfortunately, digital conversion means you can no longer rig up a late 1930s television to fully work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Geoj posted:

I want to believe that somewhere, there's someone with an AMC Gremlin that still has a factory 8-track deck, playing a smartphone through an FM transmitter and one of those...

I would gladly be that guy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Armyman25 posted:

FM radio adapter for your 8-track.

That FM tuner cartridge is just blowing my mind. I guess I just assumed that no matter what, car stereos just always had FM radio.

That is too cool.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Unfortunately, digital conversion means you can no longer rig up a late 1930s television to fully work.

Even with an RF modulator?

edit: by fully working I guess you mean using the dials, true that.

Ron Burgundy has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Sep 23, 2013

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
So what I'm thinking is: make an ATSC-to-RF modulator that outputs on channels 2-13 simultaneously instead of just channels 3/4, and which lets you map each RF channel to a specific ATSC channel. Leave one RF channel as a general pass-through for the ATSC tuner so you can select digital channels that aren't already mapped to RF, program the other channels, etc. Now your old Philco Predicta works just like a normal TV again!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Code Jockey posted:

That FM tuner cartridge is just blowing my mind. I guess I just assumed that no matter what, car stereos just always had FM radio.

That is too cool.

On that note, the AM/FM stereo in the bottom/right of the ad would have cost over $200 in today's money. Its mind-blowing that as recently as the late-70s FM radio was still cutting-edge.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Geoj posted:

On that note, the AM/FM stereo in the bottom/right of the ad would have cost over $200 in today's money. Its mind-blowing that as recently as the late-70s FM radio was still cutting-edge.

According to Wikipedia, it was 1978 when FM listeners first outnumbered AM listeners in North America, yes. Later than I expected.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

That is too cool.

My first car was a 73, it had the original AM only radio in it. No FM, no 8-track.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just found this video in a Slashdot discussion. It is simultaneously the most old-school and the most sci-fi thing ever. Storage tube displays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpD1QXvtlcg

It's like an electronic etch-a-sketch and I'd love it if someone could give us some more details and perhaps examples of how they were used.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

KozmoNaut posted:

I just found this video in a Slashdot discussion. It is simultaneously the most old-school and the most sci-fi thing ever. Storage tube displays!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpD1QXvtlcg

It's like an electronic etch-a-sketch and I'd love it if someone could give us some more details and perhaps examples of how they were used.

Tektronics makes really fancy oscilloscopes. With the right inputs, you can make them draw pictures. That's what's going on here. In a real world application, this would be used to analyze logic on solid state chips.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
The 4010 is a graphics terminal, not an oscilloscope.

They used Tektronix displays a lot in the original Battlestar Galactica...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The 4010 is a graphics terminal, not an oscilloscope.

They used Tektronix displays a lot in the original Battlestar Galactica...

Knew that looked familiar. Eh, I guess it could be any variety of futuristic-for-the-70's-looking thingy and I would say the same thing.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Gun stuff!

Well, oops. I had forgotten about its class.

I'll check TFR later today for what to do. I don't want to break any rules!

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Oct 4, 2013

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Hey DicktheCat:

Since you don't have PMs, I'll post here. That looks to be a French Chauchat, which is a full auto machine gun.

If you don't have NFA paperwork for it (and since you said it was found in a ditch, I'm guessing you don't, but I could be wrong), or if it's not deactivated to the ATF's satisfaction, you may not want to post pics of it online, since owning it is a pretty major felony.

I'm not remotely an expert on the legal technicalities around full-auto weapons, so if you want more info, poke around the NFA or Military Surplus threads in TFR.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You should probably hand it to the police immediately. You're looking at prison time just by hanging onto it there buddy.
Don't do this. The chances of it ending badly for you are non-trivial. Talk to a lawyer who knows firearms law, if it's indeed not registered.

Also, reading back, I see I'm not the first to mention it.

DicktheCat posted:

Even if it's not functional? Because this thing will NOT fire. At all. Ever.

You'd have to basically completely remake the thing to fix it.
Yes.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Oct 3, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You should probably hand it to the police immediately. You're looking at prison time just by hanging onto it there buddy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Found this link via TFR. . One thing I"ll add is that you need to make a major effort to find out if it's registered, not just asking around with grandma or whatnot. One that was registered back in the day, even if you don't have the paperwork, is worth tens of thousands of dollars.

One that's not registered is a felony.

Properly deactivated into a parts kit (ATF instructions are easy to find and it just requires a sympathetic friend with a welding torch) you're still looking at a few thousand bucks.

Handing it to the police it's still a potential felony and no money at all. Hell, non-zero chance of bad lawyer bills on top of that.

All in all, I'd say ask around in TFR. You can get some good advice on who to contact to find out if it was ever registered.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

einTier posted:

Tektronics makes really fancy oscilloscopes. With the right inputs, you can make them draw pictures. That's what's going on here. In a real world application, this would be used to analyze logic on solid state chips.

If you're ever up this way and enjoy this sort of thing, there is this place:

http://www.vintagetek.org/
Edit: Street View

Since Tektronix is headquartered here in Portland and all. In fact, I'm writing this roughly a 7 minute drive from their campus (they're neighbors with Nike World HQ).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DicktheCat posted:

Hey guys! Remember that old gun that I got excited about and said my gramps had one of? No? Well, why not?!

Of course, this one is in terrible condition and couldn't fire without some serious restoration. We did, after all, find it in a ditch.

Sorry for going off topic there. I just wanted to prove we actually had the damned thing. Also sorry that the pictures are kind of lovely. I don't have a real camera, just the ones built into my phone and kindle.

Might wanna take those pics down, yeah. But while they're up... drat who thought having an open magazine was a good idea.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Might wanna take those pics down, yeah. But while they're up... drat who thought having an open magazine was a good idea.

I heard (not A TFR goon) that that's because they were originally intended to be used in planes, where a little window would come in handy to see how many rounds you had left.

Lockmat has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Oct 3, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

SyHopeful posted:

If you're ever up this way and enjoy this sort of thing, there is this place:

http://www.vintagetek.org/
Edit: Street View

Since Tektronix is headquartered here in Portland and all. In fact, I'm writing this roughly a 7 minute drive from their campus (they're neighbors with Nike World HQ).

An old roommate of mine used to work at Agilent, so I ended up with a lot of knowledge that's somewhat flawed and completely useless, but interesting nevertheless. He was always bringing scopes home.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I get that it is technically an assault weapon, but would law enforcement really care? The only person that thing would kill is a person dumb enough to try to fire it.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Germstore posted:

I get that it is technically an assault weapon, but would law enforcement really care? The only person that thing would kill is a person dumb enough to try to fire it.

It is not "technically an assault weapon." The Chauchat is legally defined by the 1934 National Firearms Act as a machine gun, and as such, it is required to be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives for any private citizen of the United States of America to possess.

What DicktheCat's local law enforcement knows or cares is immaterial, as is the machine gun's current lethality. It is federal law.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think the guys over at Forgotten Weapons may know something? I know head guy has some BREN and other guns that could be classified as a assault weapons.

I also know he's been wanting to do a video on the Chauchet for a long time.

PrinceRandom has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Oct 4, 2013

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Hey guys! Remember that old gun that I got excited about and said my gramps had one of? No? Well, why not?!

Anyway, here it is:

Closeup of the shittier parts:

Aaaand the end of the barrel:

Of course, this one is in terrible condition and couldn't fire without some serious restoration. We did, after all, find it in a ditch.

Sorry for going off topic there. I just wanted to prove we actually had the damned thing. Also sorry that the pictures are kind of lovely. I don't have a real camera, just the ones built into my phone and kindle.

Find out if any local police are having a gun buy back and turn it in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

That is almost as retarded as leaving these loving pictures up.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Considering that the police would simply scrap it, it may not be more retarded, but it would certainly be more criminal to hand it to a gun buy back for a red lobster gift card.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

DicktheCat posted:

It pains me to say this but you really should just cut that into a bunch of small pieces with a cutting torch or hack saw and dump it into a lake. Whatever you do make sure it's permanently taken care of (IE don't throw it into another ditch so that someone else can find it).

e: assuming it's not registered. For the love of god please check if it's registered. If it is that is an awesome piece of history you can restore and keep!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Armyman25 posted:

Might want to edit out the pictures you quoted so he doesn't go to jail.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Ensign Expendable posted:

Might want to edit out the pictures you quoted so he doesn't go to jail.

Yeah, because the page of replies saying "take those pictures down, that gun you have in your possession there will send you to jail for a long time" are in no way incriminating and cannot be used as evidence :rolleyes:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You guys are all paranoid and acting like the big mean government is just looking to nail anyone at the drop of a hat.

Call your local police department and explain that you found your grampa's rusty old gun and ask what steps you need to take to deactivate it and/or get it legally registered. They're not going to bite your head off for calling and explaining the situation. Worst case they'll ask you to turn it in.

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Oct 4, 2013

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman

Collateral Damage posted:

You guys are all paranoid and acting like the big mean government is just looking to nail anyone at the drop of a hat.

Call your local police department and explain that you found your grampa's rusty old gun and ask what steps you need to take to deactivate it and/or get it legally registered. They're not going to bite your head off for calling and explaining the situation. Worst case they'll ask you to turn it in.

This is retarded calling the police is the last thing you want to do or you'll end up getting arrested and serving a 10 year sentence. Talk to a lawyer.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

TheCoconutman posted:

This is retarded calling the police is the last thing you want to do or you'll end up getting arrested and serving a 10 year sentence. Talk to a lawyer.

What kind of hosed up country do you live in where someone goes to the police, says "my grandfather found this. We thought it was legal because it's inoperative but have since found out that it isn't. We'd like to hand it in" and they say "you're going to get 10 years in prison. Make sure you tell all your friends what will happen to them if they ever try to hand in an illegal weapon. How DARE you try to take even a single illegal machine gun off the streets!"

I know that in some areas of the US it would be legal to marry your gun if it weren't against a misinterpretation of a Bible verse, but no one is that loving stupid.

They'll say "you shouldn't have had that, but you did the right thing surrendering it. If you or your friends have any other guns you're unsure of, please bring them in just in case". Cops are decent people.

Remulak posted:

Some are, but prosecutors are all evil and you're just handing one a slam dump felony.

What are you talking about? No one in the world will punish you for taking guns out of circulation.

Also, prosecutors deal with charges. No cop will charge you. No charge = no prosecutor.

Also, no judge in the world will punish you for handing in a gun. Prosecutors know this and don't waste time on cases they can't win.

And prosecutors are real people too, people who don't want illegal guns on streets. Also people who might run for an election and don't want to have "prosecuted someone for making the town safer" on their record.

I mean really, this isn't a loving TV show, it's real life. No one will ever prevent you from handing in something you shouldn't have had.

Captain Postal has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Oct 4, 2013

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Captain Postal posted:

Cops are decent people.

Some are, but prosecutors are all evil and you're just handing one a slam dump felony.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Captain Postal posted:

What kind of hosed up country do you live in where someone goes to the police, says "my grandfather found this. We thought it was legal because it's inoperative but have since found out that it isn't. We'd like to hand it in" and they say "you're going to get 10 years in prison.

Welcome to the insanity of US firearms law.

Captain Postal posted:

What are you talking about? No one in the world will punish you for taking guns out of circulation.
You'd think that, wouldn't you? But unless you're a lawyer who deals in firearms cases, kindly stop handing out advice that has a small but real chance of causing someone a major headache ranging from lawyer bills to time in prison.

You won't definitely get arrested/prosecuted if you show up at your local police station and say that you just found out that you're committing a felony by possessing an unregistered machine gun. But you won't definitely NOT get arrested/prosecuted either.

Think about it like this. If you and grandpa found a nicely-wrapped kilo of coke that got dumped in a ditch, then picked it up, brought it home, kept it for a while, and posted pictures of it online, would you be comfortable just walking into a police station to turn it in with it with no lawyer? If so, you're a more trusting person than I am.

Sorry for starting a derail with a cavalcade of internet experts. DicktheCat, if you want some informed advice over where to go from here, come visit us in TFR. Try the NFA thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439842

Old James posted:

Replace "sub-machine gun" with "kilo of heroin".
vvv Dude, three posts above you! :) vvv

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Oct 4, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Captain Postal posted:

What kind of hosed up country do you live in where someone goes to the police, says "my grandfather found this. We thought it was legal because it's inoperative but have since found out that it isn't. We'd like to hand it in" and they say "you're going to get 10 years in prison. Make sure you tell all your friends what will happen to them if they ever try to hand in an illegal weapon. How DARE you try to take even a single illegal machine gun off the streets!"

He is probably American and their country is insane, so that might be some useful advice actually

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That is one unfortunate malapropism.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Captain Postal posted:

Replace "sub-machine gun" with "kilo of heroin".

Hey cops, I found this kilo of heroin in a ditch a few weeks ago. Instead of reporting it to you at the time I thought it'd be cool to take it home as a trophy. Now, weeks later, I am trying to turn it in for a reward and I am in no way a drug-smuggler. We're cool, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know, when I think "slam dump" I imagine something more like the NSA telling the FISA court what they think about constitution, not prosecution for possession of an old gun.