Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
:h: REVOL'S PAGE 100 RUNE FACTORY 4 HINTS TIPS AND STUFF :h:

FARMING
  • Outside the Obsidian Mansion, there is a pathway to the left. The giant pine tree will give you a random tree seed every day.
  • Gigantic/Golden Crop Guide
  • Crops Leveling: You can get the shops to sell upgraded seeds by shipping either higher level crops or seeds. To reliably upgrade your crops, use the sickle on the crop to harvest its seeds. (Of course, you have a rare chance to get seeds when you harvest normally.) There are two caveats, though:
    - It seems that your cheap sickle won't be able to harvest crop levels all the way. I was told by Doug that I need to have a better sickle if I want to complete his "Ship a Level 5 Crop" quest. So, with the first sickle, you can only grow crops up to level 3.
    - To unlock the shop's ability to sell upgraded crops, there is a prerequisite quest that asks you to ship a level 2 Turnip. Until you do this quest, the shops will only ever sell level 1 seeds. This quest occurs pretty quickly as long as you stay on your quests. - Thanks Speedball!
  • Expanding your farm gives you another screen with another plot of farmland. Something important to note, though: new farmland plots need new barns to have them worked. Your monsters will only work the field that their barn is on. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Save your crops from a tsunami! You can buy a product from the store, wettable solution, during the storm, and use it on your crops. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
  • Fruit Trees:
    - They only take up one plot.
    - They do need to be watered after maturity, or else they will wilt. This doesn't appear to permanently kill the tree. - Thanks DoubleDonut!
    - They give around three fruit every day. - Thanks Emalde!

COMBAT
  • For anybody who uses magic spells, Leon will level them up if you hand them to him. The early upgrades just require money, but as you get above rank 3 he'll start requesting different gems/minerals. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Leon's spell leveling costs: - Thanks Fru Fru!
    Level 2 - 500g
    Level 3 - 3000g
    Level 4 - sapphire
    Level 5 - platinum
    Level 6 - orichalcum
    Beyond that I have no idea cause I haven't found any orichalcum yet.
  • Using Gloves or Dual Blades as a weapon type will negate the bonus of the Shield you're wearing, but if you enhance the shield with a Scale category item, you can then receive 50% of the stats from the shield. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Having trouble in a new dungeon? Your gear is outdated.

LIVESTOCK/MONSTERS
  • If you give an item to a monster/animal and no hearts appear, that means your barn is full.
  • Giving items to your monster also enhances their traits. The example used by the NPC is that if you give a "Rigid Horn" (which inherently raises Crit Rate on equipment in upgrades) to a monster enough times, eventually every attack they execute will critical hit. - Thanks Emalde!
  • For Eggs/Milk/Wool/Etc, the base type (small/medium/large) is dependent upon the Level of the Monster, while the quality is based on the FP. - Thanks Emalde!
  • To get your monsters to plant seeds, they have to be at 8 FP. This doesn't take long with daily brushing and gifting. You have to have pre-tilled the fields, and you'll need to be quick because it's the first activity they'll do in the morning. - Thanks Emalde!
  • If you want to move animals to another barn bring them with you to the new barn and tell it to go home. - Thanks Vanilla Mint Ice!

ITEMS/CRAFTING
  • Sashimi is a good early-game HP/RP/stat boost. Get yourself the kitchen knife.
  • Pickled Turnips give 105 RP, making it a good early-game RP heal.
  • Once you get Oven, you can use Flour/Yam to make Bread>Toast or Sweet Potato. These gives 2k HP and 800/500RP respectively.
  • An early profitable cooking recipe is, when you get frying pan, Milk + Eggs will produce Omelet which sells for 820G
  • The telecommunicator the general store furniture section sells is a node for calling the airship. Not all that useful, but its a thing. Slap it in your room and you can board the airship right after teleporting home I guess. - Thanks Blhue!
  • Raven's inventory is based on you shipping out monster goods and gems/minerals. Ship the rare monster drops, and they'll later appear in her store. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Pay attention to the items it defaults to when crafting/forging. It tends to use your rarest material first. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
  • If you upgrade a farming tool with the magnifying glass, that tool functions like a magnifying glass. For best results, put it on your sickle so that you can see the level of the crop you're thinking about whacking. - Thanks Dirk the Average!
  • Parallel laser (2nd level water spell) is apparently hidden behind trees that only disappear during a thuderstorm. - Thanks Dirk the Average!
  • For those wondering where orihalcum is: Leon Karnak. - Thanks Blhue!
  • A soldier recommends that you upgrade your armor with Green Core, Red Core, Yellow Core and Blue Core in that order. He must know what he's talking about, but we don't know what good it does. - Thanks Vanilla Mint Ice!

CHARACTERS
  • Most characters need 3FP to have them follow you. Forte is an exception.
  • "HELP! Why does _____ tell me they can't join my party right now? They have 3+FP/LP so I'm not sure what the problem is?
    Check your "condition of the town" (at your bed save point) and see if there is a quest activated. If so, then you need to complete that quest first before they can join. Don't see a quest? It might be a "pajama party sleepover" invite.. if you are playing as Frey, go talk to Margaret (For Lest, go talk to Doug). She might invite you that night to her house for a PJ sleepover party. If that fails, walk around town in the morning and talk to everyone to see if a sub-event or "mini" sub-event triggers."
  • Supposedly, cancelling festivals increases the likelihood of a character sub-event happening.
  • Confessing Love: Starting from LP 7, each marriageable candidate has a chance of accepting your confession. Fogu claims that this is 30% at 7, 60% at 8, 90% at 9, and presumably 100% at 10 or more, but I have no idea where those numbers come from. (This percentage goes down with every successive girlfriend/boyfriend you have. Again, I have no idea how much.) However, it seems like if you confess and are rejected, you're locked out until you get to the next LP level - so if you are rejected at 7, you would have to wait until you reached 8 to have another chance. This means that if you're at LP 9 and are rejected, you're mostly just really unlucky. This also means that if you want to confess as soon as possible, wait until LP 7, then save, then keep confessing and reloading until it works. - Thanks DoubleDonut!
  • If you want to trigger an event for a particular character: - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
    - get them to 7 FP/LP
    - invite them to your party
    - save on a Monday and cancel any festival that week. (Hilariously, you can cancel Christmas)
    - sleep over and over for a week straight, if your party member leaves, an event triggered involving them. If not, reload and try again.
  • Dates are the only thing that can raise LP reliably past 8. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!

OTHER
  • L+R+Start+Select = soft reset - Thanks Dirk the Average!

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That's good to hear, going to order Oceans then while I patiently wait for 4 to come out in the EU.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

FrickenMoron posted:

I'm more of a fighter. Farming is nice but I liked exploring dungeons and fighting and interacting with the townsfolk. How is the game in that regard? This is pretty much why I never played Harvest Moon but all Rune Factory games prior. Also is Runey bullshit in?

I know you were asking about Tides, but on this tack for RF4 if you consider it, a big problem with some of the dungeons in RF4 is that your partner AI isn't quite sharp enough to work around some of the traps. Xiao Pai really struggled to stay alive in the volcano dungeon for me because she'd just keep running into fire plumes. So did my buffaloo, but he had so much HP and defense that he didn't really give a poo poo.

I actually find that the villagers I've used so far have felt a bit squishy compared to the monsters in general, so far. Xiao hits like a goddamn truck, especially once you give her the better axes (her strength growth is obscene), but she's got like half the MC's defense despite having mostly comparable gear. Even Forte is sort of weirdly squishy, despite having a high base HP pool.

On a different tack: does anyone know what the requirement for starting "formal" dating with a potential significant other is? I've gotten Xiao to 7 and then some, but she still seems to think I'm trying to play a joke on her (and the MC's reaction to this at this level is actually quite :smith:-inducing). Do I need to get another heart level or two, is there some kind of specific event that needs to trigger once a S.O. reaches a certain affection level, or what?

I'm also a little amused by the fact that the game generally doesn't seem to react to the murder dates I take people on, but that's a somewhat different subject. :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well it's probably going to be almost a year before I can even play RF4, so thanks again Nintendo. I never used AI partners in 3 because I was too afraid of them dying.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Moving the guide that was in this post to the top.

Revol fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 8, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

SpaceDrake posted:

On a different tack: does anyone know what the requirement for starting "formal" dating with a potential significant other is? I've gotten Xiao to 7 and then some, but she still seems to think I'm trying to play a joke on her (and the MC's reaction to this at this level is actually quite :smith:-inducing). Do I need to get another heart level or two, is there some kind of specific event that needs to trigger once a S.O. reaches a certain affection level, or what?

It's still pretty random, try again in a few days after lavishing her a bit. Let us know what happens when you do, I'm vaguely curious. Confessing to Margaret was kind of heated, as she was greatly concerned about the logistics of a human-elf relationship and kind of drills you a bit to ensure you're absolutely super serious about you taking things to the next level.

It's not much, but once you start dating, bachelor[ette]s gain additional abilities for combat as well. Margaret's looks like Daria's ~RAINBOW!~ from RF3, except the rainbow wave heals you and your monster and cleanses any status effects.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Wait, so do your AI partners die permanently if they die in a dungeon run?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

No, they just pass out until you change screens, where they get back up with a tiny amount of HP.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Oh, well... Ok then!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Emalde posted:

No, they just pass out until you change screens, where they get back up with a tiny amount of HP.

And you get spells to really easily heal them if they do pass out.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

SpaceDrake posted:

I know you were asking about Tides, but on this tack for RF4 if you consider it, a big problem with some of the dungeons in RF4 is that your partner AI isn't quite sharp enough to work around some of the traps. Xiao Pai really struggled to stay alive in the volcano dungeon for me because she'd just keep running into fire plumes. So did my buffaloo, but he had so much HP and defense that he didn't really give a poo poo.

I actually find that the villagers I've used so far have felt a bit squishy compared to the monsters in general, so far. Xiao hits like a goddamn truck, especially once you give her the better axes (her strength growth is obscene), but she's got like half the MC's defense despite having mostly comparable gear. Even Forte is sort of weirdly squishy, despite having a high base HP pool.

I'm also a little amused by the fact that the game generally doesn't seem to react to the murder dates I take people on, but that's a somewhat different subject. :v:

I enjoyed in RF3 how there was an item to unbreak the AI. Hope the Sun pendent shows up here too.

Just got my hands on this and I don't think they have excluded anything that made RF3 own and I am super excited.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there anything equivalent to Wooly Mode where you became a body-slamming blond sheep of doom?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Speedball posted:

Is there anything equivalent to Wooly Mode where you became a body-slamming blond sheep of doom?

You don't transform, but there are Fist-based weapons now that operate similarly to Micah's wooly transformation attacks.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Emalde posted:

You don't transform, but there are Fist-based weapons now that operate similarly to Micah's wooly transformation attacks.

Yep. If you ever want to constantly miss while jump kicking and wind up on the next screen, you're covered.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've finished the second dungeon and...where the heck is the bronze? I haven't found a single mining node that gives bronze, yet all of the second tier tools and weapons need it. Third dungeon?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Nostrum posted:

I've finished the second dungeon and...where the heck is the bronze? I haven't found a single mining node that gives bronze, yet all of the second tier tools and weapons need it. Third dungeon?

Correct.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Is there a Japanese wiki around I can shoddily google translate?

Some of the requests need me to grow stuff I don't have access to, but they are also the only requests that increase the stuff I get at the Flower Shop.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sonata Mused posted:

Is there a Japanese wiki around I can shoddily google translate?

Some of the requests need me to grow stuff I don't have access to, but they are also the only requests that increase the stuff I get at the Flower Shop.

http://wikiwiki.jp/rf4/ I think is what you want.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

If you're talking about the Sword/Shield flower, you have to be in the 2nd arc to access it. They come from Dungeon Seeds, which are obtained this way.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yeah. Just found that on the wiki. Thanks guys.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is there any actual function to the trophies that appear next to things on the shipping list?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Blhue posted:

Is there any actual function to the trophies that appear next to things on the shipping list?

No, just records.

Does anyone happen to know what monster drops Hard Horns, the thing used to craft Crit Rings?

e: 2nd arc of the game uses music from Tides of Destiny :swoon:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 5, 2013

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I've updated my compiled list of Rune Factory 4 hints and tips. If anyone has something that should be added, let me know in this thread.

Crazy how far some of you are. I'm just on Spring 22 Year 1. Just beat the second dungeon.

Oh, question. The Tin Waterpot AOE move is painful as gently caress on my RP. What the gently caress?

Revol fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 5, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Revol posted:

Oh, question. The Tin Waterpot AOE move is painful as gently caress on my RP. What the gently caress?

Get more farming skill - when you first upgrade your tools the RP cost is absurd, but after a few skillups from using it regularly, it gets affordable again. I upgraded to a pot that waters half the field at a time, and I went from burning around 1/4 of my bar on watering my fields to my full bar.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Revol posted:

"Farming" is the main skill for reducing RP consumption from using the watering cans.

e;fb

mull
Jun 6, 2010

We don't really go in for that any more.
How do I start the 3rd dungeon? There was a couple of scenes where a magical girl vanished :iiam: . What now?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

mull posted:

How do I start the 3rd dungeon? There was a couple of scenes where a magical girl vanished :iiam: . What now?

Go to the main square towards the southern exit.

e: vvv Yes.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 5, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
To get higher level seeds sold in stores you have to ship higher level crops/flowers right?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That doesn't seem to unlock right away though. One of the requests gives you "higher level turnip seeds in the general store" as a reward and that presumably opens up that function. Or maybe it was just a while before I shipped a level 2 crop instead of turning it into a dish, I dunno.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
To memory in RF3 you had to sell the seeds, not the plant itself.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
...Just came across a dialogue with Illuminata that confirms that she's single and seems bitter about it. Remind me why she's not a marriage candidate?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

To memory in RF3 you had to sell the seeds, not the plant itself.

:sweatdrop: Can someone please confirm?

Also just beat the third boss. Man I'm tempted to go with her, it's two wives for the price of one, what can go wrong??

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 5, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

:sweatdrop: Can someone please confirm?

Also just beat the third boss. Man I'm tempted to go with her, it's two wives for the price of one, what can go wrong??

Pico will never cease watching. :stare: :ohdear:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

In RF4 you can do either, crops OR seeds will unlock higher level shop-seeds. I found a lv8 turnip in a dungeon, shipped it, and I'm swimming in super turnip seeds the next day.

Does anyone know how to grow sword/shield flowers? I can guess what those are but have no idea how to get them. The request for them is just sitting there, mocking me.

EDIT: Also the seeds unlock on shipping, aka 8am that/the next day.

EDIT2: I'm stupid and don't read threads hurrrr. Thanks!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yinlock posted:

Does anyone know how to grow sword/shield flowers? I can guess what those are but have no idea how to get them. The request for them is just sitting there, mocking me.

Emalde posted:

If you're talking about the Sword/Shield flower, you have to be in the 2nd arc to access it. They come from Dungeon Seeds, which are obtained this way.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, this Black Unicorn is a lot harder than the last boss. I suppose I'm not meant to tackle it on the first day it's available like the last one, am I? Need to grind up my stats more!

EDIT: I forget if this is how, but if you ship seeds of a higher level all seeds at the store become higher level too, right? Seems like a fast track to upgrading your profits.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 5, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It'd be nice to actually get armor and a helmet on my character model. Are either of those things available? I feel a bit silly subjecting my dude to the slings and arrows (and magic and teeth and claws, etc) with him wearing a hairpin or a ribbon instead of a proper helmet.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There are visible clothes you can buy eventually, an order opens up that store. Most of the headgear seems to be on the order of hairclips and poo poo though.

Edit: After you finish the second arc, is there anything specific to do to advance the story, or does it just happen with time? I got the scenes where Venti restores the guardian's memories, and where you get the whole town to see how she really is, but nothing has happened since.

More Edit: Nevermind, it finally started.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2013

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

It'd be nice to actually get armor and a helmet on my character model. Are either of those things available? I feel a bit silly subjecting my dude to the slings and arrows (and magic and teeth and claws, etc) with him wearing a hairpin or a ribbon instead of a proper helmet.

But that blue ribbon looks so good on you Lest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I put shades on my Lest :cool:

• Locked thread