Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jesus christ, the sound when those things go by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

code:
> or.
syntax error before: 'or'
> or.
> or.
> or.
> or.

yeah that tends to happen when you use a binary operator without operands and as a single expression in many languages.

code:
>>> &&
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    &&
    ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

&& isn't a binary operator its a boolean operator

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bloody posted:

&& isn't a binary operator its a boolean operator

Meant binary as in two operands -- as opposed to say unary or ternary operators (who could just fail the same way), not binary as in 'bitwise'.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Necc0 posted:

i posted this earlier but I was using someone else's markov generator which ended up sucking. just went ahead and wrote my own and significantly increased the amount of source material it's pulling from. its tweets are much better now

https://twitter.com/oracl_ebooks

edit: it started using the new algo in the past hour if you care about looking at the difference between the two

this is rad but i bet you will get a nasty letter about it

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is rad but i bet you will get a nasty letter about it

i wouldn't be surprised if i did. w/e im not attached to it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i was in grad school we had a research project named in the form [thing]ville and after we published the first paper we got a nasty c&d from zynga because apparently we were diluting their brand or something. they claimed to have a general trademark on names of the form [thing]ville when applied to anything that has to do with computers. i didn't know you could trademark generalized language structures

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

when i was in grad school we had a research project named in the form [thing]ville and after we published the first paper we got a nasty c&d from zynga because apparently we were diluting their brand or something. they claimed to have a general trademark on names of the form [thing]ville when applied to anything that has to do with computers. i didn't know you could trademark generalized language structures

Depending on exactly what you were doing, they probably would have lost a lawsuit (although you would have lots all your moneys from being buried under lawyers)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah we ignored it figuring if they really cared or had a valid suit they'd send us another one and we could play dumb. they never contacted us again, perhaps because it was bullshit strongarming in the first place

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

co2 status: getting a feel for this carbonation thing. 34-36 psi seems to be right where i want it.

looking into making a carbonation box so i can carbonate fruit

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

duTrieux. posted:

co2 status: getting a feel for this carbonation thing. 34-36 psi seems to be right where i want it.

making your own pressure vessel?

:stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2.5 atmospheres really isn't that much. it's about the same as in a car tire or a soda can. you could do it perfectly safely with a piece of abs pipe if you wanted to, an explosion is going to be pretty mild

for comparison your average scuba tank pressure is about 200 atmospheres when full and people wear those on their backs

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

Just use an isi or put the fruit into a balloon and then fill it with CO2.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

2.5 atmospheres really isn't that much. it's about the same as in a car tire or a soda can. you could do it perfectly safely with a piece of abs pipe if you wanted to, an explosion is going to be pretty mild

for comparison your average scuba tank pressure is about 200 atmospheres when full and people wear those on their backs
hell yeah make a 3000psi pressure vessel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkgBPk0DWg

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

high pressure things make me really uneasy for some reason idk why. like when i use an oxygen-acetylene torch im like 'what if i dropped the torch and it stayed on somehow and cut a hole into the acetylene tank and exploded in firey death'

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

coffeetable posted:

making your own pressure vessel?

:stare:

i'm never going to go above 40-50 psi, which is within the safe range for new and quality plastic bottles (like, say, from a homebrew store (which is where i bought them)). the regulator won't allow the pressure to exceed what i've dialed in, so i would have to intentionally set it to something stupid for anything terrible to happen.

Sagebrush posted:

you could do it perfectly safely with a piece of abs pipe if you wanted to

that's a pretty good idea; all i would need is a pipe, caps, and a hose barb.

e: i could then simply clamp off the hose, then take the whole thing with carbonated fruit in it to a party for cocktails and poo poo. just unscrew the cap when you get there and pour out fizzy lemon wedges and poo poo

peepsalot posted:

hell yeah make a 3000psi pressure vessel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkgBPk0DWg

holy poo poo. it's probably a good thing i don't have a garage in which to gently caress around

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 4, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ya im getting ideas now for a system made from a piece of 3" pipe that you shove a bunch of apples into and charge up with co2 and put a burst disk on the end and then when they're done you serve them by cranking up the pressure and BOOM a bunch of fizzy apples shoot out into a stainless steel bowl and roll around with co2 steaming off

Socracheese posted:

high pressure things make me really uneasy for some reason idk why. like when i use an oxygen-acetylene torch im like 'what if i dropped the torch and it stayed on somehow and cut a hole into the acetylene tank and exploded in firey death'

cut a hole, nothing. all you need is to get some of the oxygen into the acetylene tank and the whole thing will explosively decompose and level your house. those squat little containers are nasty little time bombs and i hate them very much. i try to use natural gas or oxyhydrogen and avoid acetylene entirely if possible

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

ya im getting ideas now for a system made from a piece of 3" pipe that you shove a bunch of apples into and charge up with co2 and put a burst disk on the end and then when they're done you serve them by cranking up the pressure and BOOM a bunch of fizzy apples shoot out into a stainless steel bowl and roll around with co2 steaming off

cut a hole, nothing. all you need is to get some of the oxygen into the acetylene tank and the whole thing will explosively decompose and level your house. those squat little containers are nasty little time bombs and i hate them very much. i try to use natural gas or oxyhydrogen and avoid acetylene entirely if possible

how does oxygen get in your acetylene tank

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

peepsalot posted:

V

E

R

Y

C

A

R

E

F

U

L

L

Y

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

peepsalot posted:

if you are stupid and unlucky and have a torch with a broken flashback arrestor and you turn the oxygen on first it can happen. don't use torches without flashback arrestors and always turn the fuel on first. besides not blowing yourself up, you will get lots of fun black curlies floating all over your shop

i really am liking oxyhydrogen though because it burns hot enough for most of the stuff I do, doesn't produce any soot, and makes a wonderful BOOM when you light it up. the german word for the oxyhydrogen mixture literally translates to "bang-gas"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ze germans were stupid enough to use "bang-gas" in there blimps so what do they know :xd:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
US was the only supplier of helium and they put an embargo on the germans so

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you can also use methane as a lifting gas :gas:

Dec 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

you can also use methane as a lifting gas :gas:

oh nice you could make a zeppelin out of your posting

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

seriously we need airships again

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm pretty sure we've solved the "explosive gas" problem,
although there's still the risk of occasional alien abduction

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

actaulyl we're running out of helium and every time i see a kid with a helium balloon i get mad b/c we need it for sciency stuff.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

duTrieux. posted:

seriously we need airships again

yeah like big flying cruise ships with such as cabins and promenades, all hindenburg style but better

http://www.airships.net/hindenburg/interiors

put a glassed-in deck on the top for the most beautiful night skies u ever seen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

actaulyl we're running out of helium and every time i see a kid with a helium balloon i get mad b/c we need it for sciency stuff.

if only we werent selling off as much of it as possible as quickly as possible

rip helium

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

if only we werent selling off as much of it as possible as quickly as possible

rip helium

yeah rip

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Idk man those balloons are pretty fun.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

pfff we can always uh, reclaim it from the stratosphere. its probably p simple and cheap

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the official state alchemist can also magick up some more

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

spankmeister posted:

*inhales helium balloon*
better start up the tokomaks bitch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh just manufacture it one atom at a time in a particle accelerator, this is a solved problem :rolleyes:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fusion is a solved problem it just needs optimization

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Bloody posted:

traveling salesman is a solved problem it just needs optimization

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we've literally done fusion on this planet before nevermind in billions of points around the solar system

it just tends to be a bit more destructive than desired and require a large fission source to trigger the reaction when we do it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cistps: working on getting models right the first time. harder than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
air ships are teh next UAV platform so expect a com eback!