Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

stachatoryR posted:

My WIFE makes me watch this show occasionally and I don't really know much about it other than every time they say "New Directions" all I can hear is

:dong:NUDE ERECTIONS:dong:

Oh hey someone's posting from 2008 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

:thejoke:

stachatoryR
Aug 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

Oh hey someone's posting from 2008 :v:

I figured that was the case - but you will have to forgive me as I've only half-watched a handful of these shows. I should have guessed that this was an established thing :smith:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I love sneaky jokes like that. Glee can be very sly and clever when it isn't brick-to-face stupid. :downs:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hangedman1984 posted:

thin fried corn bread. its common down here in the southern states.

He told her to write a message on it. He said Whole cakes. I acquit this thread.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
I wish I could paste in all the posts made at the end of last season and over the summer about how unsatisfying it would be for Rachel's character growth if she landed the role of her dreams at the first audition she went to in New York. Pouting for 2 episodes because the director didn't immediately kiss her rear end is not exactly the struggle most people were looking for, I suspect. I quite like Rachel when she's not being shoved down our throats and is written with some humility (such as when she choked down her jealousy to pretend to be happy for Santana this episode) and was looking forward to her spending a few episodes doing her time at the restaurant without it being treated like the end of the world that she was forced to stoop to being a waitress. But no, you spent a few months at a prestigious drama school with your parents covering every dime and went to one audition so here, have a starring role on Broadway. I'm not familiar with Broadway pay scales but I assume she'll also be loaded now. Character growth!

Of course, as with the proposal last week they must just be trying to load up on all possible good events before...next week. Which is understandable. And in the interests of keeping the mood up:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I completely missed this on the first watch, but Bree's super-long speech to Kitty is largely a reference to this deranged sorority girl's email to her sisters. Sororities are serious business. :black101:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I love sneaky jokes like that. Glee can be very sly and clever when it isn't brick-to-face stupid. :downs:

The gag reflex joke from the first episode is still my favorite

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

smg77 posted:

The gag reflex joke from the first episode is still my favorite

“You can't scissor a webcam."

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Rachel getting the part doesn't bother me, especially with the way they handled it. The fit she had wasn't about not immediately getting cast, or someone else getting the part but about what they said about her personally as far as being able to carry the role. Anyone would have a problem with their skill being called into question like that, regardless of if it's true or not. You don't audition if you don't think you can do the part. Her hand wringing about whether or not she got the part was pretty accurate too. The time between auditioning and when the cast sheet is posted/announced sucks. All in all I thinks he handled it well and even low key for someone like Rachel.

Is her getting the lead part on her first audition for a big Broadway production unrealistic? Sure, but Glee isn't supposed to be realistic.

(I don't think her age or level in school have anything to do with anything though.)

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 5, 2013

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Behind the scenes of the season 5 photo shoot. No spoilers or anything significant, just the cast being :3: as gently caress. The whole thing is adorable right up until the last frame. :smith:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Obligatory reminder that this isn't the first part Rachel tried out for in NY (she also went for the Glass Menagerie). Obviously, yeah, she still got a lead role too quickly by any realistic standards, but hey. This isn't just a Glee thing, this is a "literally any storyline about any performer ever" thing.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

BrianWilly posted:

(she also went for the Glass Menagerie).

I totally forgot about this, you're right. I think it's because I had a horrible experience senior year while doing this play so I repress any mention of it. Stupid figurines...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked this episode much more than i did the other, but as it is now i will probably stop watching again after the Cory episode. I don't care for any of the new kids, and all the things that used to annoy me when i loved the show, like Tina never getting a solo, or Kurt reduced to singing a line or two, are still there. I really enjoyed Sue though.

Can someone remind me what happened to Emma? I noticed she hasn't been around this season.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

She got married to Will at the end of the last season so she may or may not have booked a plane to China at this point.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Oasx posted:

I liked this episode much more than i did the other, but as it is now i will probably stop watching again after the Cory episode. I don't care for any of the new kids, and all the things that used to annoy me when i loved the show, like Tina never getting a solo, or Kurt reduced to singing a line or two, are still there. I really enjoyed Sue though.

Can someone remind me what happened to Emma? I noticed she hasn't been around this season.

She's on a new sitcom CBS with Will Arnett. She'll be back soon.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

mcknitknot posted:

Finn! In the show he is not yet dead! Make a mention! Fake a phone call! Relay a message from an unseen get together or SOMETHING. It's just weird for these kids to never even mention them.

Agreed. The first two episodes not having ANY mention of him and then that promo, it was jarring.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

And on that note, anyone feeling particularly happy today and wanting to remedy that can go here and listen to song previews for the next episode.

edit: Oh wait belay that, full songs are here now. :buddy:

Also a reminder that song sales from this episode will to go Project Limelight, which is a charity Cory Monteith supported.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 6, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can't believe how much Naya's voice has improved in the past couple years.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I used to say that Lea, while technically proficient and vocally amazing, lacked emotion in her performances.

Never again. :cry:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
It's Mercedes singing I'll Stand By You right?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

KilGrey posted:

Is her getting the lead part on her first audition for a big Broadway production unrealistic? Sure, but Glee isn't supposed to be realistic.

It's less about whether or not it's realistic, for me, and more that they've kind of...already given her her dream role. From purely a narrative perspective, it feels like they've skipped about 20 steps in her character growth just to throw her Fanny Brice. Like, this should be how her arc on the show ends -- she's gotten That Thing that she's always wanted -- but it's come in the middle of the story instead.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I agree, Xeria, I'm sitting here going, "okay, and where do they go from here?" What's left for her to work toward? Unless she gets fired or the play falls through or something, it feels like there's just no higher to go. This should have happened in season 6 at the earliest, not right now. Glee. :sigh:

Not going to listen to the songs. I can't. It'll be hard enough watching the performances and hearing them in this week's episode. :(

Re: 502. I mostly enjoyed last week's episode, but I have to say the Lima parts were especially dragging. I felt irritated every time we went back there because it felt like all the fun and energy were in NYC, and Lima was just rehashing plots (Sam meets a new girl who is undoubtedly his fourteenth love of his life, oh look a mean Cheerio never had one of those before, "Prom Queen" redux except worse because Kurt at least got to make the decision to go back in himself, Tina getting poo poo on and probably other stuff I've already forgotten because it was just really, really dull and repetitive - I can't fault the actors even if I don't think they're anything special, but drat, the writing for the Lima side is atrocious).

What was up with the digs at bisexuality, though? "I had a girlfriend, but she was bi." And that's bad? "I now have a girlfriend who won't stray for penis." Oh yes, because that's what bi people, bi women do. The moment they see a dick, they'll just dump you. Wonderful, Glee, just wonderful, especially since that didn't even loving happen, Brittany didn't cheat on Santana at all, let alone with a guy. Otherwise I thought Dani and Santana were pretty cute together and "Here Comes the Sun" was beautiful.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

cyclical posted:

I agree, Xeria, I'm sitting here going, "okay, and where do they go from here?" What's left for her to work toward? Unless she gets fired or the play falls through or something, it feels like there's just no higher to go. This should have happened in season 6 at the earliest, not right now. Glee. :sigh:

I'm wondering if she's going to have to drop out of it due to Finn dying. :(

cyclical posted:

"Prom Queen" redux

Remember when prom used to be a big deal? It would last the whole episode and maybe have an episode leading up to it? Now it's like a 10 minute affair in the middle of an episode. Please quit making GBS threads on Tina Glee. Moreover that, please stop trying to 'fix' her in the most offensive ways possible.

cyclical posted:

What was up with the digs at bisexuality, though? "I had a girlfriend, but she was bi." And that's bad? "I now have a girlfriend who won't stray for penis." Oh yes, because that's what bi people, bi women do. The moment they see a dick, they'll just dump you. Wonderful, Glee, just wonderful, especially since that didn't even loving happen, Brittany didn't cheat on Santana at all, let alone with a guy. Otherwise I thought Dani and Santana were pretty cute together and "Here Comes the Sun" was beautiful.

It's a pretty true to life stereotype/insecurity. I just wish they'd stop playing it for laughs and maybe actually address the issue. If I recall correctly bisexuality has always gotten poo poo on on this show. They've had more than one opportunity to address bisexual stereotypes and fears from both the heterosexual and homosexual perspective and have never done it. They either played them as true or as a laugh. Like, I don't actually believe Santana was serious with what she was saying and it was in more of a sarcastic way, but that doesn't really hold up well when they've never done anything to establish "Hey, this actually isn't true" beforehand . Maybe they are just assuming the general public already knows it's bullshit so it's okay to make a sarcastic joke? I don't even know with this show anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if it was that Ryan Murphy really does have a beef with bisexuality.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

cyclical posted:

It's kind of funny how Glee gets a fair amount of acclaim for being progressive when, for every prominent gay character or well-done coming out plot, it has some crazily backwards poo poo like this in it, often spouted by the gay characters themselves. The same goes for its treatment of race. It might actually be amongst the most casually racist/sexist/homophobic shows currently on TV.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Tupping Liberty posted:

It's Mercedes singing I'll Stand By You right?

Yes, the full rundown is:

Fire and Rain - Sam and Artie, with ND backing
If I Die Young - Santana
I'll Stand By You - Mercedes
No Surrender - Puck
Seasons of Love - Kurt, Tina, Santana, Mercedes and Puck
And of course, a heartbreaking Make You Feel My Love by one Ms. Rachel Berry

I think it's a pretty great selection of performances in its own right, though obviously it's basically impossible to separate them from the context of the next episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, they've already done three whole "school dance" episodes before this one, so I'm not gonna fault them for diminishing returns as far as screen time goes.

My greatest wish right now is for the Adam Lambert character to end up being bisexual. I almost don't wanna throw that out to the universe 'cause Glee loves to do the opposite of whatever I speculate, but I'd love for him to show up and just school the NYC crew about their misconceptions. They handled transgender topics in the show so delicately that I can't imagine them not eventually moving onto this issue.

Android Blues posted:

It's kind of funny how Glee gets a fair amount of acclaim for being progressive when, for every prominent gay character or well-done coming out plot, it has some crazily backwards poo poo like this in it, often spouted by the gay characters themselves. The same goes for its treatment of race. It might actually be amongst the most casually racist/sexist/homophobic shows currently on TV.
Eh, I'm not sure what racist content you're referring to here unless you're talking about Sue's rants and slurs, which folks here assure me is totally hilarious and stuff. I mean, I'm sure Glee has been totes racist before, but being one of the top racist shows on TV? Again, "eh."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BrianWilly posted:

Eh, I'm not sure what racist content you're referring to here unless you're talking about Sue's rants and slurs, which folks here assure me is totally hilarious and stuff. I mean, I'm sure Glee has been totes racist before, but being one of the top racist shows on TV? Again, "eh."

Yeah, no way can Glee compete with Dads

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

My greatest wish right now is for the Adam Lambert character to end up being bisexual. I almost don't wanna throw that out to the universe 'cause Glee loves to do the opposite of whatever I speculate, but I'd love for him to show up and just school the NYC crew about their misconceptions. They handled transgender topics in the show so delicately that I can't imagine them not eventually moving onto this issue.

I'd agree but Santana's comments (which I 100% understood from Santana's perspective) are hardly the first time bisexuality's come under fire, and no one really knocked Kurt upside the head for the dumb bullshit he said two and a half seasons ago. The problem, for me, isn't that Santana (and Dani, really) said dumb things, but that no one offered up any defense of Brittany/bisexuality at any point. I mean, I don't think it really adds anything to the story to have Dani be all "you need a REAL lady-lovin' lady!" on top of all those digs at bisexuals -- unless, of course, the story is going to actually be that Dani cheats on Santana with another lady and oh no it's not just bisexuals who "stray"!

One of the few things I actually liked about Brittany as a character is that she unashamedly dated boys and girls, and it sucks that we've completely lost that perspective in her leaving the show. (I guess Quinn would count as well, maybe, but lol at the possibility we'll even ever hear her mentioned by name on Glee ever again.) It'd be aces if Adam Lambert's character is bisexual, though, however likely or unlikely that is.

quote:

I've seen people slam the constant Brittany-isms in 'confusing' Unique for Mercedes as somewhat racist (in the whole "they all look the same" way).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, I can see that, though I'm also gonna go out on a small limb and assume these are the same folks who called Alex Newell "Kurtcedes" along with us and the entire rest of the world when he first popped up? I mean, even the character's whole shtick in her first episode was that she was a lot like Mercedes. And Brittany is the comically-dimwitted girl who didn't recognize Puck without his mohawk and forreal assumed some girl on the prom committee was Rachel because they wore similar sweaters.

As for Kurt...I really still maintain that Blaine figuratively knocked him upside the head during that episode and I'm honestly not sure why a lot of folks don't think he did. For context, here is their whole conversation on the topic:

quote:

Kurt - "Bisexual is a term that gay guys in high-school use when they wanna hold hands with girls and feel like a normal person for a change!"
Blaine - "Why are you so angry?"
Kurt - "Because I look up to you! I admire how proud you are of who you are. I know what it's like to be in the closet, and here you are about to tiptoe back in!"
Blaine - "I'm really sorry if this hurts your feelings, or your pride, or whatever, but however confusing it might be for you, it’s actually a lot more confusing for me. You’re one hundred percent sure of who you are, fantastic! Well, maybe we all can’t be so lucky."
Kurt - "Yeah, I've had a lot of luck, Blaine. I was really lucky to be chased out of school by a bully who threatened to kill me!"
Blaine - "And why did he do that?"
Kurt - "Because he didn't like who I was."
Blaine - "Sort of exactly what you're saying to me right now, isn't it? I am...searching, okay? I'm honestly just trying to figure out who I am, and for you, of all people, to get down on me for that? I didn't think that’s who you were. I’ll see ya. I'd say 'bye' but I wouldn’t want to make you angry."
Like, Blaine directly compares Kurt to a violent homophobe, and the scene ends on Blaine legit mocking Kurt for being mad at someone possibly being bi.

Should it have been more, maybe? More specific about the exact biphobic content of Kurt's little rant just to go the whole PSA nine yards? I suppose, but I just don't think for one second Glee intended us to take Kurt's side in this argument. Like, let's be real, Glee is generally really obvious about when it's using characters as mouthpieces and this instance, with Kurt, really doesn't come across that way.

I do agree that the Santana stuff in this episode was a lot more shady -- the fact really is that no one contradicted her on her lame dig or even looked particularly troubled by it -- which is why I'm really hoping for them to address it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Well, I can see that, though I'm also gonna go out on a small limb and assume these are the same folks who called Alex Newell "Kurtcedes" along with us and the entire rest of the world when he first popped up? I mean, even the character's whole shtick in her first episode was that she was a lot like Mercedes. And Brittany is the comically-dimwitted girl who didn't recognize Puck without his mohawk and forreal assumed some girl on the prom committee was Rachel because they wore similar sweaters.

I think the worst part of the Unique-Mercedes stuff is really that it got dragged out of the show and thrown onto twitter, directed at Amber. Like, I remember there being tweets from her getting fed up with people calling her Unique or constantly doing the Unique/Mercedes confusion 'joke' in her direction or something.

quote:

As for Kurt...I really still maintain that Blaine figuratively knocked him upside the head during that episode and I'm honestly not sure why a lot of folks don't think he did. For context, here is their whole conversation on the topic:
Like, Blaine directly compares Kurt to a violent homophobe, and the scene ends on Blaine legit mocking Kurt for being mad at someone possibly being bi.

Should it have been more, maybe? More specific about the exact biphobic content of Kurt's little rant just to go the whole PSA nine yards? I suppose, but I just don't think for one second Glee intended us to take Kurt's side in this argument. Like, let's be real, Glee is generally really obvious about when it's using characters as mouthpieces and this instance, with Kurt, really doesn't come across that way.

I do agree that the Santana stuff in this episode was a lot more shady -- the fact really is that no one contradicted her on her lame dig or even looked particularly troubled by it -- which is why I'm really hoping for them to address it.

I think the Kurt stuff wasn't helped by the fact that Blaine actually is gay and the episode ended with him going, "Yep, 100% gay," which maybe inadvertently provided reinforcement to Kurt's "be real, you aren't *bi*, that's dumb!" stance. Or that (I don't think? It's been a really long time since I've watched the episode) Kurt didn't ever really get an "oops, my bad" moment. I don't think the show intended for anyone to take Kurt's side, or imply that it was an acceptable point of view, but I also think they dropped the ball in writing Kurt as actually having learned anything from it. Granted, we don't see him being particularly bi-phobic after that episode but there's also never any reason for him to be one way or another since shortly after that, he and Blaine start dating anyway.

Santana's moment is particularly egregious, I agree, because no one bats back against her and Dani basically backs up her "ugh, bisexuality" shenanigans. It's not that a tv show necessarily has to flash a neon "THIS IS A DUMB THING" anytime a character says a dumb thing, but it runs the risk of having people interpret it as reinforcing negative stereotypes if it doesn't strike that balance. (And it's kind of dickish in general, bisexuality aside, to have Santana talking fictionalized smack about Brittany -- who did not stray for penis, Santana! you broke up with her several episodes prior! -- when Brittany can't defend herself and no one else seems particularly inclined to do so either.)

Both of them come from the same place, though -- "I really like(d) this person but he/she might be really interested in someone of a different gender and I feel like I can't compete with that so I'll lash out against it."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just listened to the songs for this week, and...gently caress. Just...dammit. :smith: Absolutely amazing performances, but the fact that they're coming out because of this just isn't fair.

I swear I think I heard Lea legitimately crying at a couple points during her performance. I think this episode is going to break my soul.

Also I genuinely believe Kevin is the best male singer on the show.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 7, 2013

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Rarity posted:

Yeah, no way can Glee compete with Dads

Yeah, the thing is that when Glee has characters say racist things, they're done in a way that the audience is made to feel that these are bad things to say/think; the person saying this is bad. When Dads does it, it's like because x race does y, right guys?!

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Coconut Indian posted:

Yeah, the thing is that when Glee has characters say racist things, they're done in a way that the audience is made to feel that these are bad things to say/think; the person saying this is bad. When Dads does it, it's like because x race does y, right guys?!

Glee is nowhere near that show's level, though it has spent 3 seasons and counting using the word Asian as a punchline.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I swear I think I heard Lea legitimately crying at a couple points during her performance. I think this episode is going to break my soul.

I hope they end the episode with Seasons of Love, which is beautiful and uplifting, instead of that song, which is even more beautiful but also rips my heart into a billion pieces. If they just finish that song and cut to black it's gonna take me about 2 hours to pick myself off the couch afterwards.

cathalc fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 7, 2013

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I think I heard her sniffle at one point. It's definitely the most emotional she's ever sounded. Though I guess that's to be expected considering she's singing about her real life boyfriend who is real life dead. If she sounded anything but completely torn to pieces singing this song I'd suspect a Lea-bot.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

cathalc posted:

I hope they end the episode with Seasons of Love, which is beautiful and uplifting, instead of that song, which is even more beautiful but also rips my heart into a billion pieces. If they just finish that song and cut to black it's gonna take me about 2 hours to pick myself off the couch afterwards.

I actually hope they start the episode with that song--the full song--ending with measure your life in loooooove and cut to the title card.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I listened to all the songs for this week, and was mostly unimpressed and unmoved.

This version of 'I'll Stand by You' is much worse than the one they did like 3 seasons ago - they should totally have done 'Faithfully' instead. (Journey supremacy!) I'm not really sure what it is about 'Seasons of Love' that I didn't like, but something just seems kind of off there. And come on, Mercedes, hit the high note at the end!

Les is excellent, of course, but I don't think it was the best choice of song here. It just kind of meanders around without much emotional punch. All the other songs are fine, I guess, but nothing special. Just sort of standard Glee-fare.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kilson posted:

I listened to all the songs for this week, and was mostly unimpressed and unmoved.

This version of 'I'll Stand by You' is much worse than the one they did like 3 seasons ago - they should totally have done 'Faithfully' instead. (Journey supremacy!) I'm not really sure what it is about 'Seasons of Love' that I didn't like, but something just seems kind of off there. And come on, Mercedes, hit the high note at the end!

Les is excellent, of course, but I don't think it was the best choice of song here. It just kind of meanders around without much emotional punch. All the other songs are fine, I guess, but nothing special. Just sort of standard Glee-fare.

I thought Fire And Rain was goddamned amazing, but then again I grew up hearing that song a lot and love it, plus I'm a big fan of the voices involved.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Do we know if there's going to be anything that addresses the real-life side of this as part of the episode beyond an R.I.P card at the end or something like that? Any cast interviews or features on Cory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer
I figured that the reprise of I'll Cover You would have been a better choice from Rent but that may just be because I find it to be a particularly soul destroying song.

• Locked thread