Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
While we're still looking at the manga with hindsight bias, somebody on tumblr pointed this out.

Make of that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Reiner is making A Joke.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Here's the page it's on: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c009/11.html

Bert has the most non-committal look on his face and Annie's is some combination of "are you loving kidding me?" and trying to keep a straight face. :lol: That said, I'm pretty sure he's just being a "soldier" there and either trying to lighten the mood or seriously passing on some dumb advice, because that's what Reiner does.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
And Connie's dumb enough to take it seriously. I love the humor in this series.

Why did a cool dude like Reiner turn out to be a mass murdering bastard. :(

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
'Cause being a cool dude and being a mass murderer isn't mutually exclusive, apparently.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Bisensual posted:

While we're still looking at the manga with hindsight bias, somebody on tumblr pointed this out.

You know what I want from this current manga arc? For this exact line of dialogue to be confirmed or deconfirmed. Can you indeed shove a blade up a Titan's rear end and kill it? Or will you just look like an idiot with a death wish? Or does it do something else?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

AradoBalanga posted:

You know what I want from this current manga arc? For this exact line of dialogue to be confirmed or deconfirmed. Can you indeed shove a blade up a Titan's rear end and kill it? Or will you just look like an idiot with a death wish? Or does it do something else?

I'd like to see a short chapter with Hanji asking the recruits if they'd like to do an experiment on a Titan and the last panel is Reiner holding his hand up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bisensual posted:

Pretty sure Titans don't even have assholes considering they can't disgest anything.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, I just caught up on the manga, starting from the chapter where the anime left off.

Holy cow, this stuff is incredible. Christa has definitely impressed me the most, considering how little she's in the actual show. She's so incredibly strong-willed, especially when it comes to Ymir. Although Christa isn't nearly as much of a jerk as Ymir is, they really are alike, in that they're really only motivated to do exceptional things when the other is involved. They really do make the best of couples. The stuff is just a non-stop thrill ride, and I admit I got the genuine :stare: when the Armored Titan started friggin' throwing Titans at the Survey Corps when they were trying to get away. This is a series that just never lets up.

I really like that Reiner and Bertholdt, our obvious assumption for the primary villains now that Annie is out of the plot for now, neither is really bloodthirsty. Bertholdt clearly has let things get out of control, ever since Reiner up and went to out him as the Colossal Titan. He doesn't strike me as violent or motivated to wipe out humanity, but because of Reiner's influence, Ymir eating one of his friends, and his desire to return to his village, he's gone along with the exterminating humanity stuff.

Reiner strikes me as a guy who really doesn't understand the gravity of what he's done to his comrades, but just keeps doing one thing after another because he's in way too deep. Now that he's outed himself in the most dramatic way possible, there's no going back for him. I really can't say where all this is going, but you just can't get enough of this series.

How the Ape Titan is going to fit into this, how will the Armored and Colossal Titans meet their end, or if they will in the first place, if anything else might happen with Annie, what the future has in store for Eren and the rest of the cast, which named character might die next, etc. I haven't been this addicted to a series in a long while.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sylphid posted:

How the Ape Titan is going to fit into this, how will the Armored and Colossal Titans meet their end, or if they will in the first place, if anything else might happen with Annie, what the future has in store for Eren and the rest of the cast, which named character might die next, etc.

Also, the eternal question of "What the hell is in that loving basement?"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

JosephWongKS posted:

Sentient set of incredibly skimpy clothing that needs Eren's blood to survive. :v:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Sentient set of incredibly skimpy clothing that needs Eren's blood to survive. :v:

Titan Eren in the sailor outfit sure will be a sight.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

JosephWongKS posted:

A 15 meter tall set of titan-proof armor.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Now that I've seen it first-hand, there's so much I'm just dying to see animated. The panic gripping everyone when it was announced Wall Rose had fallen, the creepy Ape Titan talking, Sasha taking down the Titan with a bow and arrow, the attack on the tower, Ymir jumping off the side of tower, transforming and going ape on that whole crowd of Titans.

Then after that, like literally the next day, Titan Eren vs. the Armored Titan, Bertholdt transforming and the top half of the Colossal Titan falling on those two, the Survey Corps charging after the fleeing Reiner, and the absolute brouhaha of the Survey Corps, the Armored Titan carrying Ymir on one shoulder, Eren and Bertholdt on the other, and the whole crowd of Titans mobbing Reiner and everything else. The chapters after the anime left off also have Christa and Ymir's best moments by far, so that's also something I'm really looking forward to seeing their voice actresses pull off.

How is this series so good? It boggles the mind this is the author's first work.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

JosephWongKS posted:

And now you've made me feel anxious about Sasha's prolonged absence. She's been out of sight for 13 chapters! More than a quarter of the entire series! More than a year IRL! What's happened to her in the mean-time? Has she been eaten by a Titan offscreen, like Marco? :ohdear:

The other two characters who've had "conversation with their father in the wilderness" scenes turned out to be titans. Sasha is Kong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Chinese scanlation of the next chapter is out. Stay away from the usual places if you don't wanna get spoiled.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah those spoilers :stare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's the chinese version of Chapter 50. http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/

Obviously don't click that link if you want to wait for the translation.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 5, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

Here's the raw for Chapter 50. http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/

That's not the raw, that's the Chinese translation mislabeled.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

AnonSpore posted:

The Chinese scanlation of the next chapter is out. Stay away from the usual places if you don't wanna get spoiled.
All I wanted to do was to talk about Kill La Kill. :negative: On the positive side, I only got a slight glimpse.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dis astranagant posted:

That's not the raw, that's the Chinese translation mislabeled.

By raw I mean non-English vesion.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Here's the raw for Chapter 50. http://www.mangabee.com/shingeki-no-kyojin/50/

The thrown titan on page 10 just looks so drat sad.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

RatHat posted:

By raw I mean non-English vesion.

That's wrong. Raw means unaltered. Myself and probably a few other people clicked it with the intention of reading it in Japanese.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That was some climactic rear end poo poo

I think that'd make a good ending for anime season 2

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
So I can't read chinese, but...

Does Mikasa seriously sit there and tell Eren to give up on fighting and they can die together? It seems like she's trying to convince him to stop and just enjoy being with her before he rages out and starts controlling the titans .

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

That's a great chapter.

We were discussing that Eren's titan is much more powerful than other titans, it seems to confirm that elf-eared titans are some sort of titan commanders. Also, Mikasa was definitely leaning in for a kiss.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 5, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Holy poo poo that chapter.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So from that raw, apparently Eren can control other titans now?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

A computer console where they have to input a set of numbers at regular intervals or else the entire world turns into titans.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
Mikasa's facial expressions on page 24-26 are so earnest and sweet. It's a complete shift from the angry, vengeful Mikasa we've known up until now. And yeah, theres no doubt that she wanted to kiss in the middle of this brutal fight. What a scene. I can't wait to see it in the Anime.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Eren is the messiah.

Also, RIP Hannes. We all thought this was how it was going to turn out, but gently caress. :911:

redneck sushi
Aug 5, 2013
I can't remember the last time I had to resist the urge to cry but Ymir and Christa's moment made me all :gbsmith:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
RIP you giggly gently caress. I'm only sorry it wasn't Eren to brutally murder him, I feel like that more than anything is owed to him.

I hope Jean's okay.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Lookit all those black bars I can't click until someone cranks out an English translation from moonrunes.

Dammit I love this series. :ohdear:

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Is it just me or was the art ridiculously good this chapter? I guess it's a combination of thicker lines and more consistent character proportions, but drat, the artist has come a long way.

Also, chapter rules and all that.

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

RIP you giggly gently caress. I'm only sorry it wasn't Eren to brutally murder him, I feel like that more than anything is owed to him.

Eren was inadvertently responsible for getting him ripped apart and eaten by a horde of titans. That seems much more brutal to me than anything Eren could hope to accomplish with his bare hands.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Thinking on it, there is 50 chapters left to go and humanity really did just *spoilers*gain it's greatest weapon against the titans. This is the end of the arc, and I am going to bet the next arc is an all-out offense on the Titans. Eren doesn't even need to shift into Titan form if he can just command the Titans to rebuild Wall Maria. This also might explain how whoever built the walls got the colossal titans to do so. This could also explain why Titans devour humans when they don't need to. They're under orders.

Edit: Also Eren looks just like his mother these days. http://www.onemanga.me/shingeki_no_kyojin/50/2/

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 5, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really doubt his control is precise enough to have them build a wall. It's probably more that he can direct them where to go, or who to attack. Either way it'd make getting to the basement super easy.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thinking on it, there is 50 chapters left to go and humanity really did just *spoilers*gain it's greatest weapon against the titans. This is the end of the arc, and I am going to bet the next arc is an all-out offense on the Titans. Eren doesn't even need to shift into Titan form if he can just command the Titans to rebuild Wall Maria. This also might explain how whoever built the walls got the colossal titans to do so. This could also explain why Titans devour humans when they don't need to. They're under orders.

This will help quite a bit, considering just about every physically competent soldier is injured or dead at this point! It's really just Connie, Christa, Sasha, and Eren that are currently in fighting condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Okay I did not see that Commander Eren twist coming. Seeing how much Eren hates Titans, I never would have thought he'd end up with a power like that.

Now we know why Reiner asked Ymir if she could really trust Eren. Now it is clear that Eren is a different kind of Titan than Annie/Reiner/Bertholdt/Ymir.

Great chapter and I'm very glad Erwin survived. Poor Hannes though...