Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1F

2L

This way Snarls will survive, and we won't have violated our commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Y. Whose your our daddy?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Current through 'Gantolandon' (31 Voters).
pre:
Response

A	B	C	D	E	F	G	H	I	J
5	1	2	13	2	6	0	3	0	1

If 'Yes'

K	L	M	N	O	P	Q	R	S	T
1	6	0	1	5	0	0	0	0	1

U	V	W	X	Y	Z
2	2	0	0	1	19

Notes:
  • 3- answer to Dad question
  • Ax 1- night walk. Ceaseless prayer.
  • Jx 1- Azz takes care of Snarls. We power walk to trees during the nights.
  • Zx1- cacti
  • Zx 1- El will provide
  • Zx 2- Plan Task Manager
  • Zx 6- Plan dyzzy
    • 1A/2Z getting water for Snarls are currently counted as variations of Plan dyzzy (let me know if that should be changed)
  • Zx 9- Plan Sogol
      Question 3 TBD/variations;
    • 1x plan dyz fall back and scavenge oasis
    • 1x Ishamal/Dad ?'s and Snarls scavenge
    • general version likely to include asking for something, but not until we get Azz's counsel
  • Total number of J/Z votes with food and/or water for Snarls, whether or not interpreted as receiving aid = 11; plus 5 non-J/Z inclusive food/water for Snarls votes
  • Total number asking to 'Friend' Azz on ElBook = 17

Legend for Question Options

going to a soccer game so next count in 3 hours or so

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 5, 2013

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
If we wanna go the folk hero angle we should ask him to put water bearing plants That end up being cacti in all of his domain 'barren wastes'. This will totally piss him so we should make him promise to it before hand. It would even make sense for him to make them needley cause he's such a prankster.

1.D. We'll trust him more, but it's gonna cost him to trust us. :3:

2.Z. CACTI!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

Have we seen Tudiya and others host guests? In addition to the law, do we have expectations of form? E.g. Offered hospitality; accept; after 'meal' expected to share a story/'news'; seek counsel for road ahead; possibly given something for the road (depending on quality of the story, standing, relationship and such).

That is correct.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Did we ever ask Azz what "trouble" he might be getting in? If not I want to.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Can we still ask Azz questions? I'd like to ask him about Mereniel and Xuriel.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hospitality gone bad when Odysseus returns home after his odyssey.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sogol posted:

Hospitality gone bad when Odysseus returns home after his odyssey.

Technically speaking Obysseus never offered hospitality there, only his wife did.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Technically speaking Obysseus never offered hospitality there, only his wife did.
As far as I remember, she didn't offer any hospitality. They invited themselves.

Edit:

1. In response to Azzazel's offer, you...
H

We are not supposed to get help from people of Zepath. Azzazel is not from Zepath and hardly even counts as a human. He initially was unfriendly towards us and warmed up only after we mentioned Ishamal. He was another obstacle to overcome, just like hunger, thirst or wild animals.

2. After having spent more time with him, you decided to accept Azzazel's offer to help you. You ask him for...(Only if you picked to accept help in #1 above

O, U, V

W, obviously, would be pushing it. Staying with Azzazel would prevent us from finding a worthy sacrifice and could be dangerous. Food and water for the entire month would be nice, but I don't think we can carry that much and prevent it from spoiling. So let's ask for the bare minimum we need to actually survive.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 5, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yeh, they basically declare Odysseus dead and contend that a woman cannot hold his lands, they need a new king, etc. Telemachus can't get rid of them and goes to Menelaus for counsel, a pretty good example of hospitality (another iconic example is Odysseus with the Phaeacians.) Penelope weaves Odysseus' death shroud during the day, saying that she will decide among the suitors when it is finished, then un-weaves it each night. Then Odysseus shows up, reveals himself to Telemachus and is only recognized by the ancient dog Argos, who then dies happy.

After that it is all trickery, bows, blood and dying suitors.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 5, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

"Aaaah... ha" he says" as Azzazel wipes a final tear from his eye. "It is so good, truly good to hear that all is well with him, you've given me a gift creature and one I promise I shall not forget. Are you certain you don't wish any help? Skip this boring test, come back to my place! It'll be a blast and we'll send you off with something to make that oafish bore you came with proud of you!"

Azzazel's tone has changed and after the last hour, you have decided to trust him a bit more. You accept his offer. You ask for enough food and water for Snarls to reach the treeline. One of the trees shake, two coconuts fall and roll over towards you. One has a hole in the top, with a shake and sniff you can tell there is water inside. The other coconut has a larger hole in it, with a sniff of the sniff, it is roasted beef.

"This will be enough for him to make it?" you ask Azzazel sceptically. The amount of water and food in each cannot possibly be enough for two days for Snarls. "Oh, more than enough, I promise!" Azzazel says "Come here boy!" he says to Snarls. Snarls approaches the winged giant and wags his tail happily as Azzazel scratches his ears. "Now you watch out for him, won't you boy?" Azzazel asks Snarls. Snarls give a happy bark.

"You have been around for countless of these trials." You say to Azzazel. "I would ask your counsel, beyond your kind offer to return home with you, an invitation I would love to accept under other circumstances. What counsel would you offer for this and to a young fool, as Ishamal has told us we are are on more than one occasion? We must at least make it to those trees (point). How would you counsel us in this and in life?"

"Don't take life too seriously" Azzazel says to you a small laugh "You will never make it out alive."

"Is there anything you'd like me to tell Ishamal?" you ask Azzazel. He puts his hand on his chin for a moment and thinks. "Tell him... tell him to enjoy the party while it lasts and to come visit me any time, I miss him."

As you turn to walk away, you pause and look back to Azzazel. "How can I find you again?"

"Call my name in the parched and remote places and you will find me" he says "Or make a goat VERY happy!" he says enthusiastically. "You really shouldn't eat them, they are a lot smarter than you might think! You'll be nice to my little goatys, won't you?"

With that cryptic question, you make your way towards the distant treeline Snarls indicated had water in it. You hear Azzazel turn to one of his drink serving monkeys and say "Ooooh I hope the Creature is alright, everything will work out for the best in the end I mean... it has to, right?"

To which the small monkey shrugs and responds with a non committal "Oook"

You turn to look back once at the oasis a final time. The trees, the water, table, Azzazel and all else, are gone. The only evidence it was not a delusion, the two coconuts Azzazel gave you.

You walk on. The trip is not at all pleasant.

The sun beats down upon you mercilessly and you take short breaks to give food and water to Snarls. You discover that no matter how much water Snarls drinks from one of the coconut, or how much of the meat he eats from the other, neither coconut seems to run out of it's contents.

As the first night draws near, you have made a further discovery as to your sandals... or perhaps obtained greater understanding how they work. As the sun sets and you stop walking, you suddenly feel intense tiredness, thirst and hunger, you take a few more steps and the feelings fade. You discover that while you continuously walk in the sandals, you do not tire.

Including hunger, thirst, or need to sleep.

You walk in a circle and find the effect the same, but it appears that once you stop, all of the tiredness, hunger and thirst you would have otherwise felt, hits you all at once.

You may be able to walk without rest, but Snarls, cannot.

You need to decide what to do next. You....

A. Grab Snarls and keep walking for as long as it takes to reach the treeline, which will cut your trip down from 2 to 3 days, to perhaps a little more than 1. If you just keep going, you will probably get there in the dead of night, tomorrow night. You will deal with trying to get food and water when you get there.

B. Grab Snarls and keep walking for as long as it takes to reach the treeline and when you get there, eat the food and water you were given by Azzazel.

C. Eat some of the food, drink some of the water, clutch Snarls tightly to you beneath your cloak and go to sleep under the largest bush you can find.

D. Suffer through whatever hunger, thirst and sleepiness you have built up, clutch snarls tightly beneath your cloak and go to sleep under the largest bush you can find.

E. C., except you are going to take shifts with Snarls where one of you sleeps while the other watches.

F. D., except you are going to take shifts with Snarls where one of you sleeps while the other watches.

G. Pray for rain. To who?

H. Pray for food. To who?

I. Use the wilderness survival skills you never learned to find food and water. You don't really have any meaningful skills in either area. This is not an option you can actually pick.

J. Use the magic you never learned to find food and water. This is also not an option you can actually pick.

K. Look up to the clouds angrily and DEMAND it rain! gently caress you clouds! Rain, dammit!

L. Pray for divine aid for your situation.

M. Ask Azzazel for help.

N. Something else. Fill in.

Snarl is tired, but still awake and you can ask him questions if you do desire.

If we get enough votes, the odds of a second update tonight are high.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 6, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
My vote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pURJDToKA0k

(this may end up in us dying when we finally stop)

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A That food and water isn't for us it's for Snarles. I bet if we try to have some it'll disappear or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
F Whatever we do, DON'T have any of the food or water. It's not for us.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

D : Sleep for a few hours, just enough to take the edge off, and then grab snarls and carry on. Don't wanna go too far beyond our natural reverses or we may collapse/die when we stop!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A. There better be water over there, otherwise we're screwed. I'd suggest only walking during the night so it's not as warm outside, but we really need water.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
F. Snarls needs rest. Even if we kept waslking we'd still up getting hit by whatever sleepiness and hunger we'd accrued while walking.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A That turned out pretty well!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
A

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
G: Pray to El for rain.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
D, but tell snarls to wake us at sunset so we can continue our journey. Moving at night is the way to survive in the desert.

Now would also be a good time to plan an itinerary for when we get to the forest.

- Find a large enough source of water to sustain us, we will position our base camp near to this place.

- Forage some fruit to sustain us in the short term.

- Look for useful raw materials, stone for starting fires and crafting rudimentary tools. Large sticks for making spears, pointed for rabbits and the like, barbed for fish. Vines for making rope, always useful.

- Once we've caught a few rabbits we can use the skins to store water, if we manage to kill anything bigger we can fashion some sort of rudimentary cloak to insulate us if we go anywhere particularly cold.

- Go mobile. After a few days at base camp making/gathering tools and supplies we should head out and roam the land looking for our offering.

Got an offering suggestion as well Can we see any mountains within reasonable walking distance (4 days or so) if the answer to this question is yes we could scale the mountain, hammer off a chunk of the summit and carve some epic poem/story into it. The tip of a mountain with some random writing on it is a far more impressive offering than just some rock with some random writing on it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Can we see any mountains within reasonable walking distance (4 days or so)

You do not see any mountains.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm afraid A will kill us, and B would be cheating, since that's Snarls food/water.

K + I - Demand the rain jokingly, may as well take Azz's advice and start developing a sense of humor. ALSO and more importantly: Keep on trucking, Carry Snarls when he is too tired to walk, and let him walk when he's rested. We only stop long enough to feed/water him and to pick him up/put him down.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
F walk until after dawn. Alternate between carrying Snarls and having him walk. Begin looking for someplace to shelter as best as possible during the heat of the day. Walk in the cool. Sleep in the heat. Sleep in shifts. Make sure Snarls wakes us up. Food/water is for snarls.

L whenever awake pray - walking, resting whatever. Ceaseless prayer to El.

I when it is our watch, while praying practice trying to make 'VAYAHI OR' work to produce a fire. Work to make the words so they can be touched. Visualize fire. Etc.

For Snarls. Reconfirm:

'where is the closest water Snarls?'

Ask if he needs to be carried. To let us know if he does.

'How's the roast beef?'

Tell him our plan (whatever it ends up being). 'We will walk until it gets hot. Then take turns sleepy in until it begins to get cool again. You will have to make sure we wake up boy.'

I am out and about, but will start a count when I get home, unless someone else wishes to.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 5, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

D : Sleep for a few hours, just enough to take the edge off, and then grab snarls and carry on. Don't wanna go too far beyond our natural reverses or we may collapse/die when we stop!

Yup, this.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

jazzyhattrick posted:

D, but tell snarls to wake us at sunset so we can continue our journey. Moving at night is the way to survive in the desert.

this

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Travel at night instead of during the hot hot hot day

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

the_steve posted:

I'm afraid A will kill us, and B would be cheating, since that's Snarls food/water.

We are not dying or going to die. We haven't eaten anything in a long while, and it is the end of the day.I think we are just normal tired and hungry.

QUESTIONS:
So, how are without the sandals' magic?
On a scale of 1 to 10, how tired are we? Needing a short nap is 1, about to fall unconscious is 10.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hungry are we? Needing a snack is 1, Asherah is 10.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
F We need to travel at night, it'll take less of a toll on us.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

We are not dying or going to die. We haven't eaten anything in a long while, and it is the end of the day.I think we are just normal tired and hungry.

QUESTIONS:
So, how are without the sandals' magic?
I am not sure I understand the question.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how tired are we? Needing a short nap is 1, about to fall unconscious is 10.
About a 4. You are a young almost-man in rather good shape. You've been walking all day, you could keep going for hours if needed, but you would be most comfortable if you went to sleep.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how hungry are we? Needing a snack is 1, Asherah is 10.
When you stop moving, about a 7, using the metric you described. Your hunger is clearly a much bigger problem than your tiredness. For now.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

jazzyhattrick posted:

Seconded. Also, I doubt anything will attack us in Az's territory so we're probably OK to skip standing guard.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I N: Pick up Snarls and start practicing sleep-walking. We can rest and travel at the same time, and Snarls can wake us if we start veering off course!

Pseudo-serious actually, we've got some experience with stubbornly walking through delirium and black-out exhaustion, we don't feel the strain while using our sandals, so could keep walking indefinitely, and although our legs would be pretty strained from continuing to work, at least our mind would get some much needed rest. Of course, maybe we simply can't sleep while walking in our sandals, since we won't feel tired until we stop.

Edit: VVV Hey, he's right, look how right this guy is.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 6, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Diog, ya got two I's. Should the second one should be an 'N- Do something else. Fill in."?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 6, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
What's for Desert?

Current through Unassmebly Required, I think. (24 Voters)

pre:
A	B	C	D	E	F	G
9	0	0	4	1	6	1

H	I	J	K	L	M	N
0	0	0	1	4	0	4
This is the raw vote. I can do some more specific break down later if needed or called for.

General:
  • Several comments to not eat Snarls food. No comments to eat it.
  • Plan Jazzy and and some non-A votes advocate for moving at night.
  • Plan Nettle and some others advocate rest from concern for the ability of the Sandals to kill us.
  • Multiple votes for carrying Snarls when necessary across different plans and votes.
  • ummm... Some people seem to have voted one way or another or piss drinking without indicating anything else.

Note: I have not counted the piss drinking vote. Nope. Not gonna. And we should consult Snarls in any case since it is his piss and all. :dogout:

(Death by Sandal! We will be a Holy Martyr of Zepath!)

Sogol fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 6, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Crap. Double post.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

L Pray to El.
A

If we keep walking through the heat of the day we'll become very dehydrated. But maybe not more dehydrated than if we only walk at night but go 2-3 days without water. In this arid environment every breath we take costs us water.

Food wise, we'll burn the same calories walking the distance whether we do it all in one go or not, but we'll also burn metabolic calories while resting, so overall we'll need fewer calories if we just keep going. Our workouts mean that we probably have very little by way of fat reserves, but we do have big burly muscles our body can cannibalize in an emergency -- we should be able to survive going a week or more without food but it won't be fun. However, if we walk without without stopping, then when we do stop we'll probably fall unconscious from extremely low blood sugar. We aren't diabetic so our body should be able to recover, but it would be best if we don't stop before we find something to eat or at least something to drink.

Tiredness. Hmm, if we're already passing out from low blood sugar, passing out from exhaustion isn't a big deal. If Snarls is in good condition hopefully he'll be able to protect us from whatever lives at the edge of the forest.

Drink our own piss. Snarls' piss too, if we can get it. Our own piss will will go dark and concentrated pretty quickly, but since Snarls has infinite water at his disposal his piss should be pretty clear all the way through. Snarls is a smart dog, we should be able to explain to him that we want him to piss in our mouth. Carry this secret to our grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Angela Christine posted:

Drink our own piss. Snarls' piss too, if we can get it. Our own piss will will go dark and concentrated pretty quickly, but since Snarls has infinite water at his disposal his piss should be pretty clear all the way through. Snarls is a smart dog, we should be able to explain to him that we want him to piss in our mouth. Carry this secret to our grave.

I was waiting until the "drink our own pee" strategy appeared but drinking Snarls' pee is a wrinkle I didn't expect :stare: