Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Previously on The Vampire Diaries:

• There are vampire hunters now, complete with convenient powers to keep vampires from wiping them out.

• Caroline offed a bunch of witches to save Bonnie. Fat lot of good that did in the long run.

• Elena and Damon finally hooked up, but of course there was that sire bond twist to make it sleazy.

• The last time that Jeremy had a ghostly girlfriend, Bonnie told him it was wrong and unnatural and he should let her go. Things are totally different this time, you guys!

• Every main cast character has died at least once.

• Everyone did bad things to find a cure for Elena, then she forced it down Katherine's throat. Like Katherine isn't immediately going to try to be turned again.

• Last season upped the body count quite a bit, even if most of them were Unnamed Hybrid #6 and Folks Drinking in the Wrong Bar.

The Dearly Departed:
(dead characters who appeared or were talked about in more than one episode)

• Mr. Tanner - history teacher, killed by Damon
  • Zach Salvatore - Stefan and Damon's distant descendant, killed by Damon after using vervain against him
  • Vicki Donovan - Matt's sister, turned after repeated attacks, killed by Stefan
  • Lexie - Stefan's vamp best friend, killed by Damon
  • Logan Fell - local news reporter, Jenna's ex, turned into a vampire, staked by Alaric
  • Ben - high school football star turned vampire who worked with Anna, killed by Stefan after he kidnapped Bonnie
  • Sheila Bennett - Bonnie's grandmother, died after using too much magic to help open the tomb
  • Samantha Gibbons - compelled by the tomb vampires to let them stay in her house, killed by Damon
  • Frederick - tomb vampire, killed by Stefan
  • Pearl - Anna's mother, saved from the tomb, killed by John Gilbert
  • Harper - a civil war soldier turned vampire, killed by John Gilbert
  • Anna - a vampire who worked to free those trapped in the tomb, dated Jeremy, killed by John Gilbert
  • Richard Lockwood - the mayor, dormant werewolf genes got him mistaken for a vampire then killed (along with most tomb vampires) on Founder's Day
  • Mason Lockwood - Tyler's werewolf uncle, searched for the moonstone for Katherine, killed by Damon
  • Aimee Bradley - a high school student killed by Katherine at the masquerade party
  • Sarah - a high school student killed by Tyler after being compelled by Katherine
  • Trevor - vampire, helped Katherine escape from Klaus, killed by Elijah
  • Slater - vampire, gave information to Rose and Damon, killed by Elijah
  • Rose - vampire who kidnapped Elena in an attempt to get Klaus off her back, died by werewolf bite
  • Brady - werewolf, dated Jules, killed by Stefan
  • Luka Martin - a young warlock who charms Bonnie, Damon killed him in spirit form with a goddamn flamethrower
  • Jonas Martin - warlock, Luka's father, worked for Elijah, killed by Katherine
  • Isobel - Elena's birth mother, Alaric's wife, turned by Damon, compelled by Klaus to work against Elena, committed suicide by sunlight
  • Maddox - warlock, worked for Klaus, killed by Damon
  • Jules - werewolf, came to town looking for Mason and found Tyler, sacrificed by Klaus
  • Jenna Somers - Elena's aunt, turned into a vampire, sacrificed by Klaus
  • John Gilbert - Elena's birth father, vampire hunter, gave his life through a spell to save Elena
  • Greta Martin - witch, Luka's sister, worked for Klaus, killed by Damon
  • Andie Starr - Damon's girlfriend, compelled to fall to her death by Stefan
  • Ray Sutton - werewolf who didn't survive the transition to hybrid
  • Dana and Chad - high school students killed by Stefan on senior prank night
  • Mikeal - the father of the original vampires, staked by Klaus
  • Tony - a hybrid who stalked Elena, killed by Jeremy
  • Mindy - the hybrid that Stefan killed in front of Klaus
  • Brian Walters - Meredith's ex, the town medical examiner, and Crazy Alaric's first victim
  • Daniel - the hybrid that Klaus sent to Abby Bennett's house, killed by Elijah
  • Bill Forbes - Caroline's father, killed by Crazy Alaric, had vamp blood in his system but refused to transition
  • Finn - original vampire, staked with white oak by Matt
  • Sage - Finn's girlfriend, dies because she was sired by him
  • Esther - the original witch, killed by Alaric after she turned him
  • Alaric Saltzman - his life was magically bound to Elena's, so he died when she drowned
  • Pastor Young - blew himself and 11 other council members up under Silas's influence
  • Connor Jordan - vampire hunter who explained the Hunter's Mark to Jeremy, killed by Elena
  • 12 hybrids - killed by Klaus after Tyler helped them fight off the sire bond
  • Carol Lockwood - drowned by Klaus in revenge for Tyler freeing the hybrids
  • the bar vampires - turned by Klaus, killed by Kol to keep Jeremy and the others from freeing Silas
  • Kol Mikaelson - killed by Jeremy, his entire bloodline died with him and finished Jeremy's Hunter's Mark
  • Massak - witch who was after Silas's headstone, killed by Katherine
  • Atticus Shane - breaks his leg in a cave in and then left for dead, Rebekah confirmed his death
  • Galen Vaughn - vampire hunter who held Damon captive, left down in Silas's tomb and starved to death
  • Will - vampire that Damon knew from New York in the 70s, bitten by Klaus, killed by Damon
  • 12 witches - killed by Caroline to save Bonnie, also completes the expression triangle
  • Jolene - a waitress that emotion-free Elena murdered just to prove a point to the Salvatores
  • Jane-Anne Deveraux - New Orleans witch killed for breaking Marcel's rules against magic
  • Bonnie Bennett - died after using magic to bring Jeremy Gilbert back from the dead

The first episode of the season is on Thursday, October 3 at 8pm Eastern on CW. It will be immediately followed by the series premire of The Originals.

For an exciting alternate-universe episode of The Vampire Diaries in which Bonnie tore down the veil for good and set herself up as overlord of the resulting post-apocalyptic wasteland, click here.

deety fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The show will also include Sophie, a witch whose sister was killed for breaking Marcel's rules, and Camille, a human bartender who works with Sophie. Both appeared in last season's backdoor pilot for the series. Another regular cast member, a witch named Davina, was in a director's cut of the episode that you can watch on the CW's website.

The first episode of The Originals will air on Thursday, October 3 at 9pm eastern. The show will move to it's regular slot, Tuesdays at 8, for the second episode on October 8.

deety fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 10, 2013

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Is it just me or are True Blood and Vampire Diaries trying to outdo each other in sticking their heads up their own asses? I ask sincerely as a person who enjoyed the first few seasons of both.

Complaint aside, I'll keep watching this and probably the Originals too.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 10, 2013

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Last season had some pacing problems and stupid poo poo, but I'm hoping that sending Klaus & Company into their own plot will help keep the focus from being so jerky this year. I think True Blood had a much steeper fall, some of the vampire bible stuff actually made me nostalgic for Marianne's dirt orgies.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
While I'm not too fond of Silas as a villain, this season could go well if they move the gang out of Mystic Falls and get back to season 1/2 pacing.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The graduates are going to Whitmore College, which is the place that Professor Shane taught. It sounds like it's a couple of hours from Mystic Falls, so they'll be out of immediate reach but close enough to head home when it's important. Here's a potentially spoilery rundown of some new season info: http://www.wetpaint.com/vampire-diaries/articles/2013-08-16-season-5-spoilers-roundup-college-silas-delena.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm fully expecting Silas to be the most boring antagonist since Klaus. I just don't loving give a poo poo about him.

That said, for all the mistakes they made with Klaus he's actor is very likable and I'm actually looking forward to The Originals, especially because the villain on that show is actually interesting.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Donnerberg posted:

Is it just me or are True Blood and Vampire Diaries trying to outdo each other in sticking their heads up their own asses? I ask sincerely as a person who enjoyed the first few seasons of both.

I don't think this show is nearly as bad as True Blood. At lead there aren't ten different side character storylines that have nothing to do with each other. Last season was rough, but they've shown with the seasons before it that this can be a really solid show. I'm willing to still give them the benefit of the doubt.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm fully expecting Silas to be the most boring antagonist since Klaus. I just don't loving give a poo poo about him.

I kind of agree but what give me a bit of hope is that Paul Welsey was much more interesting when he was playing evil Stefan. I hope that carries over.

PriorMarcus posted:

That said, for all the mistakes they made with Klaus he's actor is very likable and I'm actually looking forward to The Originals, especially because the villain on that show is actually interesting.

Klaus was one of my favorite characters and actors even through the crappy storylines. I'm looking forward to the Originals now that he'll have more to do than just stand around threatening to KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE!!!

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2013

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Here's a trailer for the premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL4mznuwRpQ

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Hell of an OP there, nice job! I guess I'm cautiously optimistic towards this season now that Klaus is effectively off the board for the Mystic Falls gang, and Paul Wesley does evil way better than being a broody Angel-lite anyway. Oh yeah, and I am definitely looking forward to however much we get of human Katherine still being able to manipulate everyone around her.

Less love triangle and more insane plot roller coasters please!

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 3, 2013

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:black101:

TVD and Scandal on the same night? I'm happy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Here's hoping that Bonnie stays dead!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No, no! I'm not going to do this again, this show is terrible and the characters are awful, awful people, I'm not going to put myself through this again.

What's wrong with me?! :smith:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

A Steampunk Gent posted:

No, no! I'm not going to do this again, this show is terrible and the characters are awful, awful people, I'm not going to put myself through this again.

What's wrong with me?! :smith:

That a bit extreme. Last season wasn't as great but the first three seasons were amazing.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
"Stole the Gilbert ring"

Welp.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
So did this show ever move past all the Originals bullshit? I felt like I was watching Scooby-Doo during season 3, which is why I never bothered starting 4.

e-show got worse :lol:

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 4, 2013

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
I loved this show when it started, missed the last 2 seasons because of work. So far enjoying this episode. Jeremy became bad rear end at some point I guess? And, I guess Alric is dead?

EDIT: Questions answered in OP, sorry.

EDIT2: That's gotta be some sort of killing off named characters speed record.

SageSepth fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 4, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What the hell did they do to Paul Wesley to make him so sexy all of a sudden?

Desht
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

What the hell did they do to Paul Wesley to make him so sexy all of a sudden?

He's always been better at being crazy/evil than mopey.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Holy poo poo, nobody does premieres like this show.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah, that wasn't such a bad premiere at all. I like that they're maturing Damon a bit by having him step up to deal with the Mystic Falls poo poo while Elena deals with her mystery dad, or whatever's being set up there. What the hell is going on with Matt?

God how is Elijah so sexy

Deshtalik posted:

He's always been better at being crazy/evil than mopey.

I'll be honest, I got a little giddy at the thought of having a duo of evil Stefan and evil Stefan.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 4, 2013

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
I can't remember. Did Kol/Cole/whatever die for reals last season? So we won't see him in this one?

That'd be kind of tragic, he was always my favorite.

e: oh hey I can't read OPs.

hope and vaseline posted:

I'll be honest, I got a little giddy at the thought of having a duo of evil Stefan and evil Stefan.

You and me both.

Desht fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 4, 2013

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

While most of this premiere is a retread of the pilot, it's kinda cool that they show us that everything wasn't as neat and tidy as the latter showed, and Elijah actually had to do a lot of wheeling and dealing behind the scenes to fix things.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

It's also really smart to put Elijah at the forefront of the show (at least this early on), he's easier to root for than his psychopath of a brother.

Sooooo, odds on this baby getting fast-aged ala Connor from Angel?

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 4, 2013

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

And of course Marcel would have his won witch as the trump card, and a powerful one at that.

Klaus, you motherfucker.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh come on.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
That's more than a little annoying.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Elijah is almost like Sting in how comical it is just how many times he has allowed himself to get duped by the same guy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, TVD was great but The Originals was eh... too much of a retread but I'm still interested in seeing where it goes.

Elijah really needs to stop trusting Klaus.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Haven't had a chance to watch The Originals yet, but I really enjoyed TVD. I think this season is shaping up to be better than last season even after only one episode. I think Elena and Stefan are connected because she's the doppelganger of the woman Silas lost somehow? They are both shadow selves. I'm glad we aren't spending two thirds of the season with everyone being duped by Silas, I like that got that out of the way upfront. Caroline is the best as always, Tyler is an idiot.

Also, I really want to never have to hear 'emotion switch' again. That is such a stupid term.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

AVclub with a nice Bonnie burn.

quote:

What Bonnie is doing right now is completely selfish and hard to watch, not to mention fairly dramatically uninteresting, considering she can only really interact with one person in the cast. Even her agony over her dead father seemed pointless because she had no ability to even communicate with him when he was alive.

Why did they have to get saddled with an awful actress that's never really been integrated into the cast, and who they can't seem to get rid of because she has some semblance of a music career.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

What sucks the most is that they are probably going to find away to bring her back. Bonnie needs to just go into the light.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I was so happy that we got two more deaths in the first episode - the new roommate and Bonnie's dad

Pleasantly surprised with the first episode of the new season of the Vampire Diaries. Katherine as a human has lots of potential, and I'm hoping that Silas!Stefan will be around for more than four episodes.

I'm half-way through the pilot of The Originals and am enjoying it and glad they're off The Vampire Diaries.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I was pleasantly surprised by Katherine's refusal of Damon's blood, it will be great if they can keep her as ruthless and interesting as she was when she was less vulnerable. I'm also really looking forward to a Stefan who isn't puppy dogging around after Elena. And a couple of seasons ago, I had a lot of sympathy for Bonnie because it felt like she faced a lot of lovely consequences for everyone else's bad decisions. I'm totally over it now, and I want her ghost to die in a fire.

Also, Klaus is such a freaking jerk.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

deety posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by Katherine's refusal of Damon's blood

I was shocked he offered it in the first place. Why would you ever consider turning her again? She's enough trouble human.

deety posted:

Also, Klaus is such a freaking jerk.

I know, isn't it great! He's an amazing jerk and it's nice to see him away from Mystic Falls.

I really hate the witches. Killing a girl and her unborn baby is not the way to prove you're the good guys in a situation. While watching TVD episode of this story I thought they were supposed to be good guys who would help Klaus or that Klaus would help and eventually gently caress over but now they look like a different sort of villain. The main witch girl is annoying as gently caress and I really wanted a Klaus or Elijah to put her in her place. Even in their most desperate hour, decent people don't kidnap and kill pregnant women.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I am so uninterested in The Originals. I watched the pilot and am just not at all caring about the show. I've only ever liked Rebekah because of her thing with Matt, Klaus is just unbearable (which means I'm glad he's out of the regular TVD cast), and I've never really found Elijah compelling at all.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Aatrek posted:

I am so uninterested in The Originals. I watched the pilot and am just not at all caring about the show. I've only ever liked Rebekah because of her thing with Matt, Klaus is just unbearable (which means I'm glad he's out of the regular TVD cast), and I've never really found Elijah compelling at all.

Pretty much this. Despite my dislike of Klaus, I was willing to give the show a shot based on the pilot last spring and the last few episodes of TVD last season. In the pilot and those last few episodes, it seems like they were going to do some real character development and make for an interesting story. They seemed to be moving on from Klaus being a cardboard cutout of a villain and Rebekah actually being an ok person. Then they said gently caress all that with the first episode of The Originals. Reverting Klaus back to his "gently caress everyone else, I just want power" is a terrible decision. The only thing that made it worse was daggering Elijah. That pretty much guaranteed that any possibility of an interesting story was gone.

Back on the TVD front, Bonnie definitely just needs to go. They did the ghost girlfriend thing with Jeremy already, we shouldn't rehash that. Honestly, the less of the story that takes place in Mystic Falls the better.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

Pretty much this. Despite my dislike of Klaus, I was willing to give the show a shot based on the pilot last spring and the last few episodes of TVD last season. In the pilot and those last few episodes, it seems like they were going to do some real character development and make for an interesting story. They seemed to be moving on from Klaus being a cardboard cutout of a villain and Rebekah actually being an ok person. Then they said gently caress all that with the first episode of The Originals. Reverting Klaus back to his "gently caress everyone else, I just want power" is a terrible decision. The only thing that made it worse was daggering Elijah. That pretty much guaranteed that any possibility of an interesting story was gone.

If you want character development I don't know why you'd think they'd start Klaus out as anything other than the cardboard cutout of the villain he was on TVD. He literally just left Mystic Falls, it's not like he's going to change on the car ride over. This was always the starting point with him and where we are going to see development coming from. I'm not surprised in the least he's still interested in power and daggered Elijah because that's who he is and where they are going to try to move him away from. It's been one episode and maybe a week since he was in Mystic Falls, there hasn't been anytime for them to do anything yet. If he's still like this at the end of the season I might agree. I also highly doubt that Elijah is going to stay daggered long.

I'm not sure what you mean about Rebekah though. She's not an okay person because she doesn't want to help her selfish, rear end in a top hat brother whose screwed her over repeatedly? This also all happened before she left for her trip with Matt at the end of TVD season.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Aatrek posted:

This, except I do like Elijah but the schizophrenic ADHD nature of the show has no place for him. You can't have a character whose entire persona is being the constant rock of a group when literally every other person in your story is constantly betraying them and everyone else.

I did like how they didn't bother to try humanizing Klaus for his own show, he's still the same loving rear end in a top hat he always was, but when it was over I had to ask myself why I even cared and it turns out I don't. At all. Not bothering with another episode.

I'll keep watching TVD because it's too far in to give up now, but I hope they don't start doing crossover stuff that's vital to the story.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I was looking for an excuse to drop this show after last season and Silas making everyone believe he's Stefan - leading to the usual wacky hijinks - looked like just the thing, but then this exchange happened:

Liz - What are you doing?
Silas - I'm outing myself as not-Stefan.

...and I'm back :allears:

Haven't seen The Originals yet and from what you guys are saying, seems like I'm not missing much.

• Locked thread