Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004

Someguy posted:

We've already covered most of the reasons why this is a bad gameplay mechanic and I'm not going to reiterate them, but ultimately you're arguing for something that Dice has already acknowledged is broken and will be changed.

Where's this acknowledgement from DICE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Welsper posted:

TOW missiles seem to have this behaviour in beta, so you may indeed be lucky.

Plays rush mode without air parity, gets upset when infantry fights back. The pendulum of balance isn't just for you.

Haha what? Don't be upset because someone is better at a videogame and out-smugged you. I'm sure I have more time playing conquest then you do as well. Of course none of this changes the fact that you're still arguing for something Dice has already acknowledged is broken and will be changed.

edit:

MCOM Defend Kills 308
MCOMs Destroyed 342
Flags Captured (Conquest) 3,187
Flags Defended (Conquest) 3,033

yep, all I do is play Rush :rolleyes:

ReadingZucchini posted:

Where's this acknowledgement from DICE?

https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/385893637311442944
https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/386048443661037569

Someguy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 5, 2013

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Tarranon posted:

Like I posted above, it's surprisingly difficult getting engineers to even launch at the painted targets.

Pubbies just have poo poo for situational awareness, is I think the takeaway.

When noone shoots my lased targets I start telling them to pay attention for them in team chat every few minutes and actively engage in communication with the engineers when they shoot poo poo down for me. Good vibes and encouragement go a long way.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to re-locking IGLAs and Starstreaks, LoS-less locking from Javelins, and the BC2 AT4 cadre discovering the SRAW.

It's going to be an entertaining November.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.
Speaking of locking onto lased targets - in BF3 you could fire off an MBT guided shell at something which wasn't in your line of sight - i.e. lock on it, whip the gun up, and fire off a round. Can you do the same in BF4, with guided or RPG, or you can't lock onto stuff not in your LOS?

And it's an old discussion, but ever since Below Radar was taken away from helicopters in BF3 I always laugh when (bad) heli pilots start whining about it not being easy to destroy forces on the ground with impunity non-stop anymore because forces on the ground finally have ways to reliably bring them down. There is a groundpounder out there flipping you his middle finger with a grin on his face every time his rocket slams in your rear end and you crash and burn, and if it makes you rage and cry a little inside when it happens, then let those tears flow, I say! Note I say "bad" pilots - you don't hear from good pilots, good pilots adapt their tactics and keep flying.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is it just me or is the first shotgun terrible? It gets like seven shots as a primary weapon and has awful range, even for a shotgun. The MASS has better range, even. Then you run out (because ammo kits literally give you one shot before they run out because of the way the gun works) and you're stuck with a pistol. And then you need 8000 points with it to unlock the 870. :sigh:

The duckbill is super weird.

It's got pretty short range, but it fires as fast as you can click. Play domination, don't put on the duckbill, and you'll be cleaning house. At first it's hard to get used to, but once you realize that two center-mass shots will drop anyone in CQB, and a half-mag will either seriously injure or outright kill people at a pretty decent range, you'll learn to love it.

By comparison, the 870 with buckshot feels a bit sluggish since even up-close, a chest hit doesn't guarantee a kill.

Ed: Also holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about heli balance. They're fixing the OHK/no tone on RPGs, learn to dodge locks and take out the person locking you. Also, remember BF3 and soflams? How many pubbies actually used them to any effect?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

KatMan911 posted:

Speaking of locking onto lased targets - in BF3 you could fire off an MBT guided shell at something which wasn't in your line of sight - i.e. lock on it, whip the gun up, and fire off a round. Can you do the same in BF4, with guided or RPG, or you can't lock onto stuff not in your LOS?

And it's an old discussion, but ever since Below Radar was taken away from helicopters in BF3 I always laugh when (bad) heli pilots start whining about it not being easy to destroy forces on the ground with impunity non-stop anymore because forces on the ground finally have ways to reliably bring them down. There is a groundpounder out there flipping you his middle finger with a grin on his face every time his rocket slams in your rear end and you crash and burn, and if it makes you rage and cry a little inside when it happens, then let those tears flow, I say! Note I say "bad" pilots - you don't hear from good pilots, good pilots adapt their tactics and keep flying.

Yea you can do this. When you lock onto it it flies up like a javelin and lands on the target.

You are not going to get a hit on something on the other side of the building but on the street level its fine.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I just realized this:

is probably supposed to happen all the time. I get it if I look at exactly the right spots from exactly the right angles, 99% of the time my game looks like this:

Time to upgrade the Radeon 6850 HD I guess :negative:

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 5, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KatMan911 posted:

RPG needs LoS, Guided Shells, TOWs don't seem to need LoS but the targets are often above the elevation of the guns.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Gazaar posted:

When noone shoots my lased targets I start telling them to pay attention for them in team chat every few minutes and actively engage in communication with the engineers when they shoot poo poo down for me. Good vibes and encouragement go a long way.

I agree! If someone at least chats back I consider that a pretty big win, and I always try to cheer people on whenever they do something cool.

It's just really frustrating when everyone shuts up and it feels like you're playing with bots

Tarranon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 5, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Welsper posted:

RPG needs LoS, Guided Shells, TOWs don't seem to need LoS but the targets are often above the elevation of the guns.

There's a really awful minimum range for even TOW missiles to lock onto SOFLAMed targets. I kind of wish the range was longer since I don't want to be within poking distance of a T90.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've heard literally nobody talk, so I think my sound might be jacked up. Oh well, I can mumble with goons if I really want to talk.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mad.radhu posted:

I just realized this:

is probably supposed to happen all the time. I get it if I look at exactly the right spots from exactly the right angles, 99% of the time my game looks like this:

Holy poo poo that is ugly :stare:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

mad.radhu posted:

I just realized this:

You should at least wait until release to see if you need to upgrade, the full version of the game should be better optimized and run better than the beta.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm noticing a few friends of mine complaining about rubber banding and generally lovely connections. I keep spiking to 150.

The only reason I ain't bitching about my ISP is because my ISP just makes me time out, not lag. :v:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Den of Lies posted:

So for some reason, when I load into battlelog, Firefox slows to a crawl and it loads very slowly. Anybody else experiencing this?

I get this when using firefox for the battlescreen.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any news on if they plan on releasing a patch/updated build during the beta?

I get great performance on my aging box but I get this weird micro stutter every so often that changing settings can't seem to fix. Anyone else had that problem and come up with a fix? New drivers seemed to actually decrease performance so I system restored back.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ularg posted:

TOW missiles can lock onto SOFLAM targets if that is what you mean.

That thing doesn't have wire-guided missiles :v:

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I get great performance on my aging box but I get this weird micro stutter every so often that changing settings can't seem to fix. Anyone else had that problem and come up with a fix? New drivers seemed to actually decrease performance so I system restored back.

I get that too, and it's really annoying. Nothing seems to affect it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Spaz Medicine posted:

I get that too, and it's really annoying. Nothing seems to affect it.

Yeah I get this as well. I run great on Ultra, then I get those micro stutters. Turn it down to Low, still get them.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I really think the new influx of players is weighing down their servers A LOT.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah I get this as well. I run great on Ultra, then I get those micro stutters. Turn it down to Low, still get them.

Same deal here. Mine are accompanied by a weird audio stutter as well.

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008
Is there any way to make the beta run at over 60 FPS?

KatMan911 posted:

You can, and it works even better. If someone paints a target on the other side of the map, you can just fire the guided shell and the shell will attempt to avoid obstacles. If there's stuff on the way, it'll launch itself upward almost immediately. However, you gotta keep your sights on the target otherwise the shell might lose its tracking and fail to connect.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

Killing snipers/other people camping on rooftops is the best thing.

The ammo box brings us all together. :allears:

Very strange bug...I was not able to replicate it. As soon as I fired I was out of third person. I was invincible. :dice:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp, I just took the plunge on a GTX760. :shepicide: I'm saving up for my first loving car.

EDIT: Went to the bathroom and threw up, kept playing BF4.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 5, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bobnumerotres posted:

Welp, I just took the plunge on a GTX760. :shepicide: I'm saving up for my first loving car.

I've got an itch for a new video card as well (currently running a 6950 1GB) but I wanna wait and see how those new AMD cards turn out next month and whether or not that Mantle stuff is complete horseshit.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Republicans posted:

I've got an itch for a new video card as well (currently running a 6950 1GB) but I wanna wait and see how those new AMD cards turn out next month and whether or not that Mantle stuff is complete horseshit.

Also keep in mind black Friday sales are coming up a month after release if you can wait that long.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Also keep in mind black Friday sales are coming up a month after release if you can wait that long.

Speaking of which, are SSDs making a difference for BF4? I grabbed an small SSD 2 years ago for BF3, and I'm wondering if the need for speed is required for BF4. I installed onto my SSD for BF4, but I haven't taken the time to check the differences between a regular HD and an SSD.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Republicans posted:

I've got a 5850 and it's running fine for me. I'm looking at getting new stuff when the new AMD cards come out as well though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I was going to get a new mobo/cpu for this game but I am running the beta beautifully so I can probably wait till next year before I upgrade.

When is the next Intel cpu's supposed to come out anyway? Haswell came out recently right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alright, so I just played my first couple matches. It runs about as well as BF3 did on my machine, which is pretty well at 1920x1200 with everything on Ultra settings. I've got a 670, i7 2600, 8GB RAM and an SSD. The map in the beta is loving colorless. I guess that's the point, what with it being a destroyed city and smoke and rubble everywhere and whatever, but I feel like I can't tell what the gently caress I'm even doing half the time. The learning curve feels steeper than BF3. I didn't do too badly at BF3 most of the time when I'd play it, but I'm getting my rear end handed to me in this. I feel like this would give me about the same experience BF3 did, as in I'd play it for a couple months, have a decent amount of fun with it, get as good as I feel I can be at it and then never touch it again, unlike some of the Call of Duty games and BF2 where I'd play them for several months straight and never get tired of them. So I'm not sure whether or not I want to buy this at this point. I do know that I don't want to play this awful map anymore, though.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 5, 2013

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Captain Beans posted:

This is kind of bothering me too. I have a modest machine that will do medium with very high FPS. But its the weird stuttering that completely ruins that advantage for me. That and I die in firefights I haven't even engaged myself in yet.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo, taking out snipers with the airburst will never get old.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holy poo poo, taking out snipers with the airburst will never get old.

It's a really fun weapon. Not too great in a straight-up fight, but it's really rewarding to master. I hope they don't change it. Maybe a buff to a three-shot kill :allears:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So I only bought BF3, no DLC or anything, and all my friends in the same boat got in today. I went to the BF4 battlelog page, and it said I had to get access by downloading the game. I patched origin, downloaded BF4 beta, and hit play. It redirected me back to the GET ACCESS page. I clicked GET ACCESS and it sent me back to the download page for the beta, which is of course just a link to Origin.

Has anyone else had this? Anything I can do or do I need to contact EA support and wait a month? I get the same thing if I go to the BF3 battlelog site then transition to the BF4 one. When I hit play through Origin it launches the browser page with some session key like it's trying to activate, but I'm stuck in this loop.

Edit: Apparently EA's site was actively logging me out. Fixed it now. :shrug:

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 5, 2013

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

General Battuta posted:

It's a really fun weapon. Not too great in a straight-up fight, but it's really rewarding to master. I hope they don't change it. Maybe a buff to a three-shot kill :allears:
Yeah, it's great when taking out people that are capping points behind cover as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If your game crashes moments away from the match ending, do you get your points? :ohdear:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Knocking choppers out of the sky is getting easier and easier without the lock ons. I'm still having trouble with tanks, it seems like half the time I hit another tank with a shell it does no damage. Possibly a beta bug, but I've also shot people at point blank and done no damage.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Avocados posted:

If your game crashes moments away from the match ending, do you get your points? :ohdear:
Yep, you'll hear a chirp from Battlelog if it's still open. If the server crashes though then they're all gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Avocados posted:

Sometimes. It's a beta so in the end it doesn't matter. Day one only about half my matches counted.

• Locked thread