Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Geology posted:

My girlfriend teaches first grade and I'm tarantula-sitting her class pet while she's travelling over the summer. Mylie is a G. Rosea and she's my first arthropod. Turns out she's been receiving proper care, according to the OP, but I bought the Schultz book anyway. I've only had her for a week and already I'm in love.

Hey I did this thing today too! I was researching picking up a tarantula for about a month now, and this thread was a really awesome resource. While I really wanted a red knee, I ended up getting a rose hair due to their low maintenance and this being my first non-mammal animal to take care of ever (also the price.) She's adorable, and still pretty tiny. I'm a little worried about her tank, though. I've read both here and other places that height is an issue, and some places mention that tiny mesh top-screens can get their fangs stuck if they climb around there, I definitely don't want her to fall and hurt herself if she climbs up the glass. I've got about 3.5 inches of substrate in the tank atm, should I consider adding some more to the tank to close the space between the top of the tank and the floor?

Especially because she seems very interested in that particular side of the tank. :ohdear: And while you can't see the mesh screen in that picture, you can see the shadow it casts for a bit of reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know about giant millipedes here? I've been interested in them since I would like a low energy pet, and the food and care requirements seem interesting enough. Before I think about getting one, I have a question about the substrate though.

A lot of the websites that I read all say to change the substrate that millipede lives on at least once a week. However to me, I think the cost of replacing the recommended substrate mixes every week would be expensive. Potting soil is kinda pricey to be using it to fill up a 10 gallon aquarium, only to be tossing it out, and unable to reuse it again for the millipede.

I was wondering if I could use soil and leaf litter from outdoors, maybe if I freeze/heat it in order to kill off any lingering organisms inside, for a millipede? Couldn't I also bring in fresh leaves from some of the trees I have? I was happy to hear that giant millipedes enjoy oak leaves since I have one in my front yard.

I'm very new to the idea of invertebrates, and am not sure what goes into the process of cleaning their habitat. Any advice will be very appreciated.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

EagerSleeper posted:

Does anyone know about giant millipedes here? I've been interested in them since I would like a low energy pet, and the food and care requirements seem interesting enough. Before I think about getting one, I have a question about the substrate though.

A lot of the websites that I read all say to change the substrate that millipede lives on at least once a week. However to me, I think the cost of replacing the recommended substrate mixes every week would be expensive. Potting soil is kinda pricey to be using it to fill up a 10 gallon aquarium, only to be tossing it out, and unable to reuse it again for the millipede.

I was wondering if I could use soil and leaf litter from outdoors, maybe if I freeze/heat it in order to kill off any lingering organisms inside, for a millipede? Couldn't I also bring in fresh leaves from some of the trees I have? I was happy to hear that giant millipedes enjoy oak leaves since I have one in my front yard.

I'm very new to the idea of invertebrates, and am not sure what goes into the process of cleaning their habitat. Any advice will be very appreciated.

I keep Archispirostreptus gigas and Narceus americanus. I use a mix of coco-coir, potting soil, and rotten wood and leaves. I boiled the rotten wood and oak leaves before adding it to the enclosure, but I still have soil mites, small worms, and a handful of P. scaber isopods in the cage. None of those do any harm though and my millies are doing very well.

I feed mine high quality dry dogfood, dead oak wood and leaves, and various greens I may have on hand. They seem to enjoy kale, broccoli, carrot, things like that.

I have literally never completely changed my substrate in over a year and a half. I add rotten wood and leaves and that's about it. The isopods and worms seem to take care of any droppings. Mine have grown from babies about the size of a match, to about 6+ inches in a little over a year. They are very hardy and cool animals.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Hey I did this thing today too! I was researching picking up a tarantula for about a month now, and this thread was a really awesome resource. While I really wanted a red knee, I ended up getting a rose hair due to their low maintenance and this being my first non-mammal animal to take care of ever (also the price.) She's adorable, and still pretty tiny. I'm a little worried about her tank, though. I've read both here and other places that height is an issue, and some places mention that tiny mesh top-screens can get their fangs stuck if they climb around there, I definitely don't want her to fall and hurt herself if she climbs up the glass. I've got about 3.5 inches of substrate in the tank atm, should I consider adding some more to the tank to close the space between the top of the tank and the floor?

Especially because she seems very interested in that particular side of the tank. :ohdear: And while you can't see the mesh screen in that picture, you can see the shadow it casts for a bit of reference.

You're never going to regret adding substrate to a well-secured enclosure. Bear in mind that your spider can and will lift a lid if gravity is the only thing holding it in place. Also, watching them excavate is mesmerizing all on its own. They can be like little robot tractors. Very focused and precise all-terrain vehicles. Pay attention, NASA. That said, I do have larger enclosures and it's never been an issue, but the OP was written with the safest practices in mind. You did good on the species. Red-knees can be great, but overall I've found Rosies to be more predictably even tempered and very easy to care for. Enjoy owning only one while it lasts, soon you will be up to your eyeballs in arachnids. I highly recommend getting a pinktoe next. Observing the differences in behavior and morphology between the two is pretty eye-opening, given how very similar the design is at first blush. You'll notice a lot of subtle things that just make sense if you look closely :) Congrats on the new spiderbot!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

EagerSleeper posted:

I had a Giant African Black Millipede (Archispirostreptus gigas) for a few years. I kept it on a substrate of coconut fiber mixed with dried Oak leaves. I changed out the substrate about once every year. In terms of care it was the easiest pet I've ever had. Sometimes it would burrow and not come out for a few months (I assume it was molting). I fed it all sorts of fruit and veggies. I think it died because I forgot to wash some strawberries, and it most likely got dosed with pesticides.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's too bad that Millipedes cannot be legally possessed in Canada. They seem like great invertebrate pets.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's too bad that Millipedes cannot be legally possessed in Canada. They seem like great invertebrate pets.

there are probably cool species native to your area.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

:aaaaa: I just fed my T for the first time today. It was the most fun I've ever had watching an animal eat in my life. She seems like a super active variety, I replaced her substrate with the coconut fiber substrate because I wanted a more burrowable substrate and I wanted to fill her tank a bit more. She seemed pretty against it at first, but once she got used to it she started going insane for the crickets we put in to her tank. While nabbing 2 and 3 crickets in her mandible at once, she was spinning a web in circles and I managed to get some pretty close-up iphone video of her webbing. I searched "spider" in the youtube audio editor and put the coolest sounding one to cover up how stupid me and my roommates sounded while this was happening. Make sure to set it to 720p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksd9rOrpA30

I don't know, I thought this was super cool atleast. :3: Sorry for the vertical iphone camera video, as well. I always tell myself to turn my phone sideways when recording video and I never remember. I was also holding another phone as a flashlight to try to get better lighting on her spinnerets and I'm not so great at mulitasking.

Also, bonus iPhone quality picture of a cricket's head in her jaw. Mmm that sweet, sweet cricket soup. This was taken about 5 seconds after the last couple of frames in that video were shot.

(timg'd cuz it's fuckin HUGE)

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Beautiful T man. Looks like it is at a good weight and I will take the webbing up as a sign that it's feeling right at home. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't burrow, that all seems to depend on the individual :)

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Yeah she really doesn't seem to be interested in burrowing. We've gone on a bit of a buying frenzy for her and bought a static cling backdrop for her cage and another cork log for her to climb on/dig under but for the most part she's avoided both of them and stayed in the open. Not complaining, she's almost always visible, but I would love to see her burrow eventually. :stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My G rosea hasn't burrowed the entire time I've had her. She's dug out he hide and sat in it but that's about it.

My E murinus on the other hand has been burrowing like a champ. Every time I look at its tank it's either just sitting near its hide or digging.

Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
The cecropia caterpillars have finally molted to 3rd instar! Here are a few pics:

Love all of the knobs and spikes on these guys. I think this is one of my favorite caterpillar pictures so far.

In this pic two are in 3rd instar and one the one in the center is still in 2nd. Late bloomer.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is there any risk in feeding my G. rosea bugs I find in my apartment? Stuff like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphimallon_solstitiale or Ectobius lapponicus. I've also found some other bugs that I figured might make a nice meal for her, but wasn't sure if it's safe.

What I am thinking is that I could just toss them into her tank instead of putting them outside after catching them.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Tahirovic posted:

Is there any risk in feeding my G. rosea bugs I find in my apartment? Stuff like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphimallon_solstitiale or Ectobius lapponicus. I've also found some other bugs that I figured might make a nice meal for her, but wasn't sure if it's safe.

What I am thinking is that I could just toss them into her tank instead of putting them outside after catching them.

Honestly, probably not, but I wouldn't risk it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is it possible for crickets to be too small for a t? After a local pet shop closed I can't find anywhere that sells crickets bigger than 3/4" and my Ts seem to be ignoring them. I'm not worried yet but I want to be sure that I'll have access to large enough crickets in the future.

Also, I think my G. rosea is molting. Last night she was in the upside-down molting pose, though today she was rightside up again. Is this something else I should be worried about? I don't think she molted over the last 10~ hours but she wasn't in a death curl or anything and was walking around just fine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Is it possible for crickets to be too small for a t? After a local pet shop closed I can't find anywhere that sells crickets bigger than 3/4" and my Ts seem to be ignoring them. I'm not worried yet but I want to be sure that I'll have access to large enough crickets in the future.

Also, I think my G. rosea is molting. Last night she was in the upside-down molting pose, though today she was rightside up again. Is this something else I should be worried about? I don't think she molted over the last 10~ hours but she wasn't in a death curl or anything and was walking around just fine.

If she's preparing to molt it's important to leave her alone as much as possible. Make sure to remove all prey items as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Big Centipede posted:

If she's preparing to molt it's important to leave her alone as much as possible. Make sure to remove all prey items as well.

She has indeed molted. I checked up on her and she's out of her old exoskeleton. I can also now confirm that she's a she.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

She has indeed molted. I checked up on her and she's out of her old exoskeleton. I can also now confirm that she's a she.

Congrats. Dont even attempt to feed her for 2 weeks or so.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So I've had my G. rosea since very early April, and he/she hasn't yet molted, though it did stop eating for about a month. It doesn't appear sick, is still very active, and has since started eating again. I know going off food is pretty typical, but how often should I expect it to molt?

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon
Pretty much they molt when they want to. There is no set time. I have a rosy that hasn't molted in two years, and I had one that went off food for 9 months. They're funny like that.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Olive Bar posted:

Pretty much they molt when they want to. There is no set time. I have a rosy that hasn't molted in two years, and I had one that went off food for 9 months. They're funny like that.

Alright, thanks! Just was worried I had screwed up. It seems to be happy otherwise, I put a few crickets in last night, heard the chirping for about an hour, then complete silence. :)
Edit: bonus picture!

anotherblownsave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 29, 2013

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Decided to get another pair of Mastigoproctus giganteus again. I had 3 pairs a few years back, but never successfully got them to breed. I'd get eggs, but they'd go bad. I ended up selling 2 pairs and giving the other pair away.

Going to try things a bit differently this time, deeper substrate, higher humidity. I'll post pics when they come in thursday. Here's some old pics.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Avic, you have the power to poo poo on literally any spot of your giant tank without actually moving. Why would you choose to take careful aim directly at your water bowl?

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Mr. Vile posted:

Avic, you have the power to poo poo on literally any spot of your giant tank without actually moving. Why would you choose to take careful aim directly at your water bowl?

It's telling you it wants indoor plumbing in the only way it knows how.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax
How often should I clean out a funnelweb spider's bedding?

Since they build dense tunnels, I was wondering how stressful it is to force them to rebuild.

Like this?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Me and a friend handling a female Archimandrita tesselata (Peppered Roach):

I'm the shirtless one covered in tattoos, she's the cute one with pink hair. No good pics of the Hissers today. Maybe next time.

Missed one:

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 4, 2013

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So a CL ad near me advertises "rehoming" a couple tarantulas. The first one's a big Togo Starburst :stare: gorgeous but...they seem to be giant bitey teleporters, probably out of my league.

The other one is this guy:

N. chromatus, right? I've read/heard they're skittish and picky about humidity, but what do you guys think?

I realize craigslisting a couple of unID'd should sound sketchy, but I guess this many years dealing with exotics, not taking the time to put up a verbose, descriptive ad just seems normal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's pretty, that's for sure.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

the yeti posted:

So a CL ad near me advertises "rehoming" a couple tarantulas. The first one's a big Togo Starburst :stare: gorgeous but...they seem to be giant bitey teleporters, probably out of my league.

The other one is this guy:

N. chromatus, right? I've read/heard they're skittish and picky about humidity, but what do you guys think?

I realize craigslisting a couple of unID'd should sound sketchy, but I guess this many years dealing with exotics, not taking the time to put up a verbose, descriptive ad just seems normal.

Its indeed a Nhandu chromatus. They're pretty skittish but not too difficult to care for.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My bf's nandu is skittish about light. Super pretty though. Everything Ive heard about togos is that they are intense and a bite will really knock you on your rear end for a few days.

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax
Anybody raised Macrothele Gigas slings? I was just wondering what they seem to like best in their juvenile size. I'm trying the tiniest itty bitty babby dubias right now for a half inch size guy.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

My rose hair is doing something it hasn't done before, it's cool though. Barricaded itself in it's hide with a massive thick web it's also pushed most of the substrate out so it goes down about an inch and a half, you can barely see it in there.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That sounds like seasonal or pre-molt shenanigans.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I've got a quick question, thread. I caught a palmetto roach (at least I'm pretty sure it's one) and I'm wondering if it's alright to keep this little dude over fall and winter and release him in spring?

Here he is chowing on some banana.

I'm keeping it in a spare tank with aspen and dirt and it hangs out on the grating most of the time.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Pew! Pew! posted:

I've got a quick question, thread. I caught a palmetto roach (at least I'm pretty sure it's one) and I'm wondering if it's alright to keep this little dude over fall and winter and release him in spring?

Here he is chowing on some banana.

I'm keeping it in a spare tank with aspen and dirt and it hangs out on the grating most of the time.

It is morally reprehensible to remove an animal from the wild for your own amusement! Just kidding, go for it. What's the worst that could happen? Not like they're in short supply or anything.

I recently started B giganteus and H tenebricosa colonies. Once I finish moving and get around to it I'll post pics.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Here is a picture of my rose hair constructing one hell of a hide for herself followed by a picture of the completed project. It took her a couple weeks to get it to the 2nd picture (taken today) she's so far down in there now she's barely visible without a flashlight.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Weird question, but I can't think of a better place to ask it and I'm pretty sure locusts are used as food items for some critters. I know locusts are basically just some grasshopper species that occasionally go insane, but does anyone know if they chirp/stridulate? I want to say ALL grasshoppers do that so the answer would be yes, but not really sure.

It's been years since I paid much attention to grasshoppers (I always feed with crickets) and the internet only seems interested in talking about swarming when it comes to locusts.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It turns out that my Ts love hornworms. I've never seen them grab something so fast.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have baby Archimandrita tesselata! I'm doing something right. This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Congrats! Post pictures you doof!

• Locked thread